• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are Shiny Pokemon becoming easier to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
Years
For anybody saying that the newer the game, the easier the shinies are able to get is wrong. Every game in the series has a 1/8192 chance of encountering a shiny pokemon, wether it be in the wild or through interactibility (ie picking a starter or encountering a stationary legendary) The only thing that has changed this formula is the masuda method introduced in generation 4, which was already stated to be a reason for people to want to use the GTS. I mean come on, who wouldn't want to get a shiny pokemon very easily (1/2048 by hatching eggs) by just trading somebody in japan for their ditto? lol

As for the shiny charm, I think that thing is absolute garbage and stupidity. As others have said in this thread, shinies were never supposed to be some main thing in the game, just another extra cool game mechanic for those who wanted to dedicate their time to it. As I am a shiny hunter, and have spent alot of time SRing, REing and MMing for my shinies, this charm that allows people to pretty much get a shiny whenever they want is such a slap in the face to me from gamefreak. Not to mention the two free shinies you can get in game with very little effort. It makes me sick. The lake of rage Gyarados was a vital point in the story line and is the only justified shiny that should have been given to us. The haxorus and gible/dratini serve no purpose other than for everybody just to have a shiny they dont really deserve.

I know I'm not alone in what I think but these were just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure those people who have spent their time hatching a thousand axew eggs and got their shiny, or the people who encountered thousands of pokemon just to get their random shiny gible are going to feel really good about all the work they did when everybody else has a free shiny axew/gible for no effort at all. Have fun with that. I still am going to shiny hunt till the last pokemon game, but it feels like my efforts these past two years are going to waste in this new game. Hopefully they don't bring the shiny charm back in the next game.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I myself after playing for 13 years have only found one legitimately.

Why are shinys even part of the game if this happens?

Catching 649 Pokemon is no small task. Don't pretend that people can just Trade 600 mons from one cartridge to another, or AR them all at a moments notice. People who want to cheat to get shinys will just go to pokecheck.org and download them instantly.

People who play by the rule will be rewarded for catching all 649 Pokemon.

DO YOU HEAR THIS? Game Freak is giving LEGITIMATE REWARDS for completing the Pokedex.

The shiny charm isn't given to you for free like Platinum Villa, you have to EARN it. And that makes all the difference.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Pretty much what SnowpointQuincy said. Its no easy feat to get the Shiny Charm. Nor is it easy to get the two in game Shiny Pokemon. Banjiro is fairly hard to get to unless you are familiar enough with how to battle in these kinda battles (Battle Tower and the like) Most recreational players probably wouldn't get that far into it just for a Shiny Dragon at level 1.

Haxorus can't be visited until you get to a certain Pokedex achievement which is still difficult to do unless you are really good at trading or own two different copies and have a lot of time on your hands.

Even with the Charm's effect, its still plenty hard to get a Shiny Pokemon. I've bred tens of thousands of eggs with a Japanese Ditto in Pearl all the way to Black and never have gotten a Shiny through it. I caught 1 Shiny in every generation that Shinys were available.
Drowzee in Gen 2
Wurmple in Gen 3
Shinx in Gen 4
Tympole in Gen 5

The last happened a few weeks ago. I breed about 10 - 15 eggs a day for personal use and sometimes to shiny hunt. While the Charm makes it a bit easier, I'm still not guaranteed a shiny encounter easily, I still have to work to get them.

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2021
I personally don't mind if shiny Pokemon become easier to find or not, after all I have only ever caught on shiny in Emerald (surskit). I also think that shiny Pokemon look worse than the normal coloured Pokemon. We'll just have to see when the shiny hunters set ou to catch them.

Years
I've only found one shiny which was a Blue Voltorb in my Emerald game (caught in New Mauville) and I didn't even know what a shiny was. I just caught it just 'cause "...it looks special..." Though now I really don't care if I get a better chance to catch a shiny. I see no real value in them.
Seems to me that they're getting easier to catch/encounter but not necessarily enough that you could have a shiny collection, if you did it legit.

Mystery Soul

Idea Ghost
Years
For anybody saying that the newer the game, the easier the shinies are able to get is wrong. Every game in the series has a 1/8192 chance of encountering a shiny pokemon, wether it be in the wild or through interactibility (ie picking a starter or encountering a stationary legendary) The only thing that has changed this formula is the masuda method introduced in generation 4, which was already stated to be a reason for people to want to use the GTS. I mean come on, who wouldn't want to get a shiny pokemon very easily (1/2048 by hatching eggs) by just trading somebody in japan for their ditto? lol

As for the shiny charm, I think that thing is absolute garbage and stupidity. As others have said in this thread, shinies were never supposed to be some main thing in the game, just another extra cool game mechanic for those who wanted to dedicate their time to it. As I am a shiny hunter, and have spent alot of time SRing, REing and MMing for my shinies, this charm that allows people to pretty much get a shiny whenever they want is such a slap in the face to me from gamefreak. Not to mention the two free shinies you can get in game with very little effort. It makes me sick. The lake of rage Gyarados was a vital point in the story line and is the only justified shiny that should have been given to us. The haxorus and gible/dratini serve no purpose other than for everybody just to have a shiny they dont really deserve.

I know I'm not alone in what I think but these were just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure those people who have spent their time hatching a thousand axew eggs and got their shiny, or the people who encountered thousands of pokemon just to get their random shiny gible are going to feel really good about all the work they did when everybody else has a free shiny axew/gible for no effort at all. Have fun with that. I still am going to shiny hunt till the last pokemon game, but it feels like my efforts these past two years are going to waste in this new game. Hopefully they don't bring the shiny charm back in the next game.

Dude, take a pill >.> It's a KIDS' game. Shinies have always been those aggravating things that no one really expects to find and the ones who go out of their way to find them obviously have a lot of time on their hands.

You have a problem with the Shining Charm? It requires you to have seen all 649 Pokemon in the National Dex. Now, you tell me what's easier: Trading over, evolving, and breeding ALL those Pokemon, or hunting a shiny? I think the choice is obvious. And it only cuts the chances down by a third anyways! That's still a 1/2370 chance. And no, that doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed to find one. You can go through 27370 random encounters and STILL never see a Shiny with the charm. As for the Masuda method, it cuts it down to 1/1365 eggs. Which, again, has no guarantee that you'll hatch a shiny in those 1365.

So untwist your undies, cuz it really doesn't have a significant difference in the long-run. And as for the shinies that require no effort? Whoop-dee-friggin-doo. Excuse GF for trying to reward its gamers. The Gible/Dratini requires you to defeat Black Skyscraper/White Tree Hollow. And the Haxourus? You need to see every Pokemon in the Unova Dex, which isn't much easier than trying to obtain the Shining Charm. If you can do what's required, then you are totally entitled to those shinies and the Charm.

So, in short: You are wrong for saying we don't deserve shinies just because they're given to us or because we use an item.

Thank you, have a nice day, and maybe drink some tea before you post~

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
Where is G-Money when we need him (or her?)?!

P.S. in case you did not know he/she runs the shiny Pokemon club and he has helped me [try] to find a few Pokemon before. He should be here :)

EDIT: @OP it is still hard to get a shiny - maybe not as hard but still.

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
Years
Dude, take a pill >.> It's a KIDS' game. Shinies have always been those aggravating things that no one really expects to find and the ones who go out of their way to find them obviously have a lot of time on their hands.

You have a problem with the Shining Charm? It requires you to have seen all 649 Pokemon in the National Dex. Now, you tell me what's easier: Trading over, evolving, and breeding ALL those Pokemon, or hunting a shiny? I think the choice is obvious. And it only cuts the chances down by a third anyways! That's still a 1/2370 chance. And no, that doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed to find one. You can go through 27370 random encounters and STILL never see a Shiny with the charm. As for the Masuda method, it cuts it down to 1/1365 eggs. Which, again, has no guarantee that you'll hatch a shiny in those 1365.

So untwist your undies, cuz it really doesn't have a significant difference in the long-run. And as for the shinies that require no effort? Whoop-dee-friggin-doo. Excuse GF for trying to reward its gamers. The Gible/Dratini requires you to defeat Black Skyscraper/White Tree Hollow. And the Haxourus? You need to see every Pokemon in the Unova Dex, which isn't much easier than trying to obtain the Shining Charm. If you can do what's required, then you are totally entitled to those shinies and the Charm.

So, in short: You are wrong for saying we don't deserve shinies just because they're given to us or because we use an item.

Thank you, have a nice day, and maybe drink some tea before you post~

I think you took my post a little too seriously there friend. ^__^ I'm so sorry that my opinion generated such a reaction from you. That's not what I meant for it to do, as I strictly remember the OP asking what our individual thoughts were on the shiny charm. All I did was state my opinion, and what do you know? I get flamed for it.

I can tell your one of those people who expect to get a shiny with no REAL effort and are probably looking forward to the charm, and that's ok with me. You don't need to defend yourself by calling the game a kids game or implying that I have no life because I hunt for the shinies during long road trips or while I'm watching TV. Yeah, that really sounds like I'm a hermit who's life revolves around pokemon.

All in all, I dont want to start an argument with you. We both have our opinions and I respect you for yours. Please just remember not to call me out for following the thread's rules next time OK? ^__~

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think you took my post a little too seriously there friend. ^__^ I'm so sorry that my opinion generated such a reaction from you. That's not what I meant for it to do, as I strictly remember the OP asking what our individual thoughts were on the shiny charm. All I did was state my opinion, and what do you know? I get flamed for it.

I can tell your one of those people who expect to get a shiny with no REAL effort and are probably looking forward to the charm, and that's ok with me. You don't need to defend yourself by calling the game a kids game or implying that I have no life because I hunt for the shinies during long road trips or while I'm watching TV. Yeah, that really sounds like I'm a hermit who's life revolves around pokemon.

All in all, I dont want to start an argument with you. We both have our opinions and I respect you for yours. Please just remember not to call me out for following the thread's rules next time OK? ^__~

Hi, next time, if you feel offended by a post, report it. By responding you are 1) Baiting the other person so yes you want to start an argument,
2) are are being rude yourself and are not following the thread rules.

Also yes there is still a great deal of work to get shinys even with the charm. There are people in this thread that have said this.

The Charm also does not compare to the Poke Radar which lowered the Shiny Encounter rate to 1 in 200 with a chain of 40, so the charm has not made it any easier to get shinys than in the past.

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
Years
Hi, next time, if you feel offended by a post, report it. By responding you are 1) Baiting the other person so yes you want to start an argument,
2) are are being rude yourself and are not following the thread rules.

Also yes there is still a great deal of work to get shinys even with the charm. There are people in this thread that have said this.

The Charm also does not compare to the Poke Radar which lowered the Shiny Encounter rate to 1 in 200 with a chain of 40, so the charm has not made it any easier to get shinys than in the past.

Ok, will do. Thanks for telling me. I seriously wasn't trying to bait him by the way. That isn't really my thing, you know? I feel more mature than that. Sorry if my post sounded sarcastic and bait-ish because I never meant for it to sound that way.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
GS had a Gyarados of all things!
And then Crystal essentially gave us an egg with one out of the 7 pokemon who got pre-evolutions with a basically guaranteed shiny chance.

BW2 gives us a Haxorus of all things (but you actually have to do some pokemon catching for it)
and then a free shiny Gible, if you manage to beat the White Forest/Black City facility, which isn't as easy as it sounds either.

The shiny charm and the masuda method are nothing compared to the pokeradar.
Merely raising the chance to about 0,1% is still not making it anywhere close to common.
Ive bred about 1k Ralts eggs once, maybe with these tools one would have been shiny, but it took so long I gave up.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
The first Pokemon game I got was Pokemon Yellow, i've been playing pretty much from the very beginning and have played several different Pokemon games (Yellow, Blue, FR, HS, Black, Ruby, Sapphire, Gold, Silver, Diamond, and now Black 2) throughout all of these games I have gotten to the E4 and pretty much quit at the post game mark, sometimes restarting the game. Usually on average I play each game at least 3 times each to the E4. Throughout all this play time I have STILL never seen or caught a shiny (bar things like Shiny Gyarados.) I'll admit I never purposely looked for shinies, but the chances of not even encountering one in all that time? If they make it a tiny bit easier to encounter them then I think that is a good thing for somebody like me who has played this long and still never encountered one.

Years
Well yes, I think it's getting a bit easier to get Shiny Pokemon, especially in Black 2/White 2, considering there's two definite Shiny Pokemon (as opposed to Gyarados in the Johto games), and obviously due to the Shiny Charm. I don't really think it's an issue- I don't think they're going to make it too easy to get them. I mean unlike in the Johto games, where Gyarados MUST be battled to progress in the story and in Crystal the (Shiny) Egg is basically handed to you, in B2W2 you have to accomplish certain things to actually obtain the event Shiny Pokemon, and I don't think anyone can argue the effort required to get the Shiny Charm.
So with that in mind, once you achieve these things then it's going to be easier to get Shiny Pokemon, but actually achieving these things is no real easy matter.

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
Years
I think the increased chances are good, in my opinion. Getting them legitimately, of course. Because the Pokeradar doesn't exist in BW2, they made another way to do this. Personally I don't mind. But I wish the Pokeradar came back or another form of it.

But I think Nintendo will like "ban" shinies from tournaments because of this. This is my opinion, of course. I've been using the Masuda Method for a long time (since HeartGold) so I think this is a good opportunity. Someone said that before, so I agree.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
There really isn't a reason to Ban a shiny. Their stats aren't different and they pose no game threat outside of their normal parameters. And its not like a lot of the ones that know how to RNG or Shiny hunt don't go with full teams of shinies anyway.

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
Years
Hm, you just never know. It was just opinion, though. But it'll seem pretty stupid if they did ban shinies from official tournaments. In all honesty, it just seemed likely because a lot of people would have them and everything.

On a side note, I'm exactly 105 Pokemon away from completing the national dex on Black 2 to get the shiny charm. Half of them I don't even know or bother trying to go find, lol. This doesn't include Keldeo and Meloetta.

Anyway, I still think this is good for those who can't seem to run into shinies at all.

Years
Well first, I'd like to say that it's NOT easy to what it sounds like. [You have to get the shiny charm after you complete the Pokedex? Sounds hard.] How will you even obtain all the Pokemon in the game? By trading? I don't think you'll want to catch almost every Pokemon in this game. I don't.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
They are getting a bit easier, but the thing that ticks me off a little bit is that they just put a shiny Haxorus in the game. Now everyone who has spent the hundreds or thousands of hours trying to get one has pretty much been spat in the face.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
IMO pokemon shiny pokemon are better being incredibly hard to find :) Back in leaf green i found a shiny abra after about 6 days of training and searching i found it! The feeling afterwards was amazing and the patience and the commitment made it feel a whole lot better :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back