• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Years
Tate & Liza were hard for me, I remember I had to catch 6 Sharpedo to win, because my team was underleveled. Norman's Slakings proved to be a challenge as well.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
Tate and liza are the only ones that gave e trouble and that was in emerald when they had four pokemon.

Years
Tate and Goddamn Liza, in ruby and sapphire they were easier, emerald just ramped up the difficulty to over kill. Especially when picking Torchic as a starter :(
Surprisingly i found Dynamic punch to be Great against them

Theta Rex

Euclid
Years
Winona and her goddamn Altaria completely destroyed me during my earlier runs of Ruby. Especially when I was using Sceptile at the time.

And Norman's Slaking was a real pain to get through once upon a time, but these days all it does is loaf around waiting for each hit.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I still have trouble with Tate and Liza in Emerald if I don't have the right kind of team. So my vote is casted to them. Though my first time through Sapphire, I had trouble with every leader. I never had so much trouble with any other region's leaders, and that's including Whitney and Lenora. Hoenn, imo, had the most difficult leaders.

edit: I don't think Wallace and Juan should be grouped together btw. They're two separate people and are fought as a gym leader in different games. Some people might have had trouble with one and not the other, but with the poll like that, they have to vote for both of them. That's a little silly. ;(

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I haven't voted here yet?

Anyway, Tate & Liza with Lunatone & Solrock.. the combination and strategy was pretty sturdy, I always needed a water Pokémon to take them down and even then it was still a struggle.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2016
It has to be Tate and Liza...the horror..
They would actually set up against me and go for the sweep.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I'm gonna have to say that Tate & Liza are the hardest. I remember my first time playing Ruby, I was unable to beat them, no matter what. Solrock and Lunastone are just that annoying (Especially Solrock with Flamethrower...)

But now that I am more experienced, I don't think any of them is really hard xD

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
In my current runs of Pokemon Emerald they are really weak but when i first played emerald i would have to say it was wattson.I couldnt beat him and i only had a dream in which i beated him and proceeded.But then i trained my grovyle , taught him leaf blade and won.

After wattson it was the twins.The gave me a hard time as well.

Years
Flannery. I never picked Mudkip, and there's like very few Water Pokemon that you can get before Lavaridge, so Torkoal typically beat the crap out of me.

Oh and Watson. Again with the absence of Mudkip, Magneton and Manectric were maniacal.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Flannery. I never picked Mudkip, and there's like very few Water Pokemon that you can get before Lavaridge, so Torkoal typically beat the crap out of me.

Oh and Watson. Again with the absence of Mudkip, Magneton and Manectric were maniacal.

Here, here. TORKOAL's OVERHEAT and the MAGNETON of WATSON's was just horrific. I dreaded both those gyms.

It takes a VERY WELL trained COMBUSKEN or even BLAZIKEN to get past WATSON and if you have TREEKO, god help you you had better picked up a MAKUHITA before coming to SLATEPORT.

Nomine

サトセレ
Years
The most difficult gym leader(s) in Hoenn are Tate and Liza for sure. It always takes me at the very least three attempts before actually defeating them. Something about their combo... it just works. Swampert is always my favorite against the two. Even with Surf, however, they are still very, very arduous to defeat. Blaziken and Sceptile are basically useless against them, considering Lunatone and Solrock both pack Psychic.The latter also has Solarbeam, which makes having Swampert difficult, too.

Last edited:

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Tate and Liza. When i was little, i didn't really have much idea on team building, and all i had was a Blaziken, Mighteyena and Magneton. Took me many tries to beat them.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 30, 2016
Brawly, he always seemed to get crazy luck with criticals especially when he uses Focus Energy -,-

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
My first time through Ruby Wattson was a pain. Tate and Liza were also super hard but then I got the giga drain TM and destroyed them. The one I still have trouble with is Winona. I rage so hard at her.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Norman. I don't know why but EVERY game with a NORMAL type Gym Leader takes me a few tries to beat even with Type Advantage and being over leveled. I always have the worst luck with Normal Gyms.

Norman being the King at the top. That damned Slaking. Over Powered annoyance. Vigoroth is no joke either. TTwTT HATE Norman. Every other Gym I breeze through. But Norman ALWAYS slows me down. My first time against him I had to take on his gym five times before I beat him.

Whitney takes me about 3 tries, and Lenora took me 4 tries. (Hypnosis raped) Norman is just the King of Hell for me.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
As a kid I had a pretty rough time with most of them. They were a lot tougher than Gen I and II gym leaders, at least to me as a kid. Can't really remember who gave me the most hard time, but I'd say Tate & Liza take the number one. I had some rough time against Norman, Winona and even Flannery when I started with Torchik. Wasn't really a fan of grinding back then.

Back