Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old October 27th, 2011 (9:16 PM).
Meowna Fan

Nature: Jolly
My sister and I saw a funny scene in American Dad:
Snott: "Who cares what pizza we order!? Barry's just gonna eat it all anyways!"
Barry: "Stop saying factual statements at me like they're insults!"

Then my sister said "I'm going to say that whenever someone calls me gay."
Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3
Old October 27th, 2011 (11:34 PM). Edited October 28th, 2011 by TornZero.
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

I'm really happy but really depressed at the same time. T_T

Spoiler contains slightly (if not very) disturbing/creepy story.

Spoiler:
    My older brother, who's really shaped up since joining the Air Force, finally came to visit before he gets deployed. He's a great guy, a gamer, respectable, etc. He's pretty much an awesome person, even in love as I've mentioned in an earlier post; he's in a pretty committed relationship right now.

The problem is that since he started planning for a military life and I was exploring my sexuality and general mental state (about 3-4 years ago), I started seeing him as more than my big brother. I'm not an incestuous person and I focus on his personality, so I don't see him sexually, but (arguably) romantically. I've ended up wishing that he'd see me as more than just his little brother at the same time. (Obviously, not as a lover, it just wouldn't feel right.) So far, this feeling's persisted and gotten somewhat worse in activity.

Ways I've found myself imagining going about making it happen involved displays of affection. For example, and this one really ate at me today since I didn't have any music to distract me, I was stuck between my brothers for over half an hour in a car (more than long enough for me to end up taking a short nap when I'm not the one driving) and kept thinking how comfy it would be to sleep against him with my head on his shoulder.

So, yeah, if you survived that, I could really use a hug, or a slap in the face right now. (I had to resist performing the latter myself in the car, though one reason was to stay awake.)

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
    Old October 27th, 2011 (11:59 PM).
    (>^.(>0.0)>

Nature: Careful
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It sounds like you look up to him quite a bit, maybe a little bit more than you should, which isn't really that surprising, considering he's your older brother.

I mean, obviously there isn't much you can do in that situation... nor should you try, but I don't think it's anything you should beat yourself up over either.
    Old October 28th, 2011 (12:47 AM).
    Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Quote:
      Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
      I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It sounds like you look up to him quite a bit, maybe a little bit more than you should, which isn't really that surprising, considering he's your older brother.

I mean, obviously there isn't much you can do in that situation... nor should you try, but I don't think it's anything you should beat yourself up over either.
      It's not that I beat myself up over how I see him (though I do try repressing it back to the "brotherly love" view), but that I have to keep myself from being able to show it how I want to without the moderate risk of losing the respect he has for me in accepting who/what I am.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
      Old October 28th, 2011 (4:18 AM).
      Expect me like you expect Jesus.

Nature: Adamant
      TornZero, nobody will judge you here. Your story wasn't creepy or disturbing whatsoever, in fact I thought it was sweet. It made me want a big brother like that lol.

I'm not exactly sure what I'd do about your problem though. I certainly wouldn't admit that you have feelings beyond the brotherly for him because he might find that weird, but I think it would take a lot for him to lose respect for you.
      Old October 28th, 2011 (7:10 AM).
      Banned

Nature: Naughty
        I don't believe your experience is a unique one TornZero. I don't doubt that other people of your orientation and similar do occasionally find themselves in similar situations.

I suppose all you really can do is try to bring something to keep your mind off of it. Barring that, you could always spark up an intelligent debate-like discussion that you know can keep your mind in a mode other than falling to mush. xD

Believe it or not you have it harder because you're the younger one and you look up to him. But if you use a little creative emotional redirection you can probably avoid doing anything embarrassing. >_>
        Old October 28th, 2011 (5:39 PM).
        DAT SNARKITUDE

Nature: Naive
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by TornZero View Post
        So, yeah, if you survived that, I could really use a hug, or a slap in the face right now.
        -Big hugz-
        My suggestion is to maybe try and show some subtle affection or admiration. Nothing too big. It's perfectly fine, I mean he's your brother and you've missed him.
        I think maybe this would loosen the tension a bit.
        Also what Pachi said about distracting yourself is good too.

#077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
        Fire ~ Field eggs
        3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Its hooves are 10 times harder
        than diamonds. It can trample
        anything completely flat in moments.

Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
        Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
        Locations: Pokémon Mansion

Cry

Other names:

jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
        de: Ponita
        fr: Ponyta
        cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)

Old October 28th, 2011 (9:22 PM).
        Conservative Patriot

I have a question:

Do you think that all people who oppose all or certain LGBT rights/liberties inherently hate LGBT people?
        Old October 28th, 2011 (9:24 PM).
        Certified Responsible Adult

Nature: Gentle
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
        I have a question:

Do you think that all people who oppose all or certain LGBT rights/liberties inherently hate LGBT people?

Hmm. I don't think so, necessarily. There are a lot of people out there that subscribe to love the sinner, hate the sin. So they wouldn't want to allow gay marriage or anything, but they might not actually hate the LGBT population.
        Old October 28th, 2011 (9:51 PM).
        King of the Rats

Nature: Quirky
          I'll join, I suppose. I'm Bi. Not 50/50 Bi, though. I only date women, though I am sexually attracted to both men and women.

Quote:
          Of course not. Most are usually just ignorant or fall back on an upbringing that taught them that sort of thing wasn't socially acceptable. Most people I've met who "hate" gays really don't specifically have a problem with gays as long as they aren't hitting on them. It's just a default attitude some people have, and I can't really fault them for that.
          Old October 29th, 2011 (2:16 AM).
          Banned

You actually have a point. They fall back on what they were taught as children and can be hardly faulted for that. But it doesn't make it right.
            Old October 29th, 2011 (7:30 AM). Edited October 29th, 2011 by Ineffable~.
            DAT SNARKITUDE

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Charlie Kelly View Post
            I'll join, I suppose. I'm Bi. Not 50/50 Bi, though. I only date women, though I am sexually attracted to both men and women.
            Welcome new friend!

Replying to the topic at hand:

Certainly not supporting certain rights doesn't equate to hate. I in fact (not proud of this) used to be homophobic and not support LGBT rights at all, however despite my apparent point of view on it, I found myself unable to actually hate LGBT people whenever I met them. I could only be intolerant in an impersonal way.

Fire ~ Field eggs
            3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Cry

Other names:

Old October 29th, 2011 (7:32 AM).
            King of the Rats

Nature: Quirky
              I agree it isn't right, but there's enough of a difference to me between "well-thought-out, rage-inducing" hate and "oh I'm different than you and I don't like you I guess" hate. Those I feel will eventually accept or tolerate homosexuality, given enough time and appropriate exposure.
              Old October 29th, 2011 (8:03 AM).
              DAT SNARKITUDE

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Charlie Kelly View Post
              I agree it isn't right, but there's enough of a difference to me between "well-thought-out, rage-inducing" hate and "oh I'm different than you and I don't like you I guess" hate. Those I feel will eventually accept or tolerate homosexuality, given enough time and appropriate exposure.
              Yes, this, because if you don't actually hate homo/transsexuals as people, then it's only a narrow matter of time till you meet one and your opinion is changed almost instantly. These people I am perfectly willing to work patiently with.

Fire ~ Field eggs
              3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Cry

Other names:

Old October 29th, 2011 (8:35 AM).
              Don't Ask, Just Tell

Okay so here are some rights that some people oppose:

- same-sex marriage
                - same-sex adoption/parental rights
                - same-sex employment rights (in several states you can fire a gay person based on sexuality without consequence)

Okay, there is a difference between neutrality or indifference with these issues and active opposition. If you do not support nor do you oppose the above issues, then there is not any stance on the issue, and I would not consider that hate, maybe a bit of ignorance to what the issues entail. But when you are actively oppositional to these rights I believe that there could be a level of hate, and at the the very least, a level of prejudice/intolerance. I really would not want to be friends with anyone who actively opposes these rights. The argument I dislike most as a response to that is "just because someone doesn't follow the same beliefs that you do..." Well, the thing is if I opposed interracial marriage, believed that they should not be able to marry, adopt, or feel free of discrimination at their job, I think that an interracial couple should have the right to feel like I am taking away their liberties/quality of life, and they would have every right to not associate with me.

Don't be a rotten apple!
                Check-out my Forbitten to see the latest developments in the Kenbi Region
                !

Old October 29th, 2011 (9:26 AM).

Hate is just a high level of intolerance and with people who oppose LGBT rights there is certainly intolerance there. That's why I don't want to say that they have hatred, but I also don't rule out it's possible. Call it a small amount of hate, but I'd say it's very likely there in most people.
                Old October 29th, 2011 (7:41 PM).
                Conservative Patriot

Do you think that we should offer the HIV morning after pill at our Student Health Center? My constituents are asking me to introduce legislation that would do just that.

This is what I'm talking about:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-exposure_prophylaxis
                Old October 29th, 2011 (8:13 PM).
                Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
                  Do you think that we should offer the HIV morning after pill at our Student Health Center? My constituents are asking me to introduce legislation that would do just that.

This is what I'm talking about:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-exposure_prophylaxis
                  On one hand, you will have some people argue that it will encourage unsafe-sex/sex with positive partners. On the other hand, you will have people say that it will decrease the student's chances of contracting HIV from sex.

I would have to say that if a student has had sex with a person who is HIV+, then the HIV morning after pill should be provided to the student. Condoms rip, bad choices are made, and many other factors come into play, the pill, I think will help the student and the spread of HIV.

Don't be a rotten apple!
                  !

Old October 29th, 2011 (9:48 PM).
                  DAT SNARKITUDE

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by -ty- View Post
                  On one hand, you will have some people argue that it will encourage unsafe-sex/sex with positive partners. On the other hand, you will have people say that it will decrease the student's chances of contracting HIV from sex.

I would have to say that if a student has had sex with a person who is HIV+, then the HIV morning after pill should be provided to the student. Condoms rip, bad choices are made, and many other factors come into play, the pill, I think will help the student and the spread of HIV.
                  Yeah, I would say definitely provide the pill. It's better safe than sorry, and it's not at all useful to say "well, you shouldn't have had unprotected sex in the first place" when someone could be contracting an incurable, deadly disease here.
                  Honestly I didn't know something like this existed before but it's important that it be available to everyone.

Fire ~ Field eggs
                  3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Cry

Other names:

Old October 29th, 2011 (9:56 PM).
                  Conservative Patriot

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Ineffable~ View Post

Yeah, I would say definitely provide the pill. It's better safe than sorry, and it's not at all useful to say "well, you shouldn't have had unprotected sex in the first place" when someone could be contracting an incurable, deadly disease here.
                  Honestly I didn't know something like this existed before but it's important that it be available to everyone.
                  The biggest hurdle in garnering support is always cost, though.
                  Old October 29th, 2011 (11:07 PM). Edited October 29th, 2011 by Shining Raichu.
                  Expect me like you expect Jesus.

Nature: Adamant
                  Welcome Charlie Kelly!! It's good to have new members, they're coming less frequently now :)

I'm going to say yes. I tend to see LGBT issues more black and white than most people do, so I'd definitely say that they do. What other reason is there? Intolerance, hate, it's all the same thing. I honestly think that if people are so against a concept that they find themselves acting, speaking or thinking against the rights of the people who practice that concept, then there is of course a level of hate or dislike there. There are things people have said on this issue that I'm going to respond to:

1 - The religious sentiment of "hate the sin, love the sinner" - I think this is one of Christianity's most effective cop-outs because in essence it's a message of peace. But it's designed, in my opinion, to keep criticism of the religion at bay. If you look at it, what it's really saying is "we hate who you are and what you do, but we still love you in spite of that". I honestly don't buy it for a second. You don't love somebody if you hate a large intrinsic part of who they are. The religion itself would never vote in favour of gay rights, so basically what it's doing is patting us on our heads and telling us it's all going to be okay while screwing us behind our backs. I think it's one of the most insidious messages religion puts out there and the implications of it are confusing to the point of potential harm. I'd prefer it if they were just honest rather than trying to appease us for the sake of their public image.

2 - The "upbringing" excuse - This is one thing I really can't stand about people who are against LGBT rights. What it implies when that is said is that because that's how you were brought up, it's automatically OK. It's a cop-out; it's something to fall back on. The way you were brought up, in my opinion, is no excuse for the way you think now. Surely it's a factor, but everybody is capable of independent thought and therefore nobody has an excuse to be a mouthpiece for the views of their parents. If you hate the LGBT community or don't support their rights, you're going to have to do better than "that's the way I was raised", I'm afraid. I was raised with the intolerant view that foreigners should go back to their own countries and stay the hell away from Australia, but that's certainly not what I believe now.
                  Old October 29th, 2011 (11:28 PM).
                  Conservative Patriot

How do you feel about this guy saying bullying is good?
                  Old October 30th, 2011 (7:42 AM).
                  Certified Responsible Adult

Nature: Gentle
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post

I'm going to say yes. I tend to see LGBT issues more black and white than most people do, so I'd definitely say that they do. What other reason is there? Intolerance, hate, it's all the same thing. I honestly think that if people are so against a concept that they find themselves acting, speaking or thinking against the rights of the people who practice that concept, then there is of course a level of hate or dislike there. There are things people have said on this issue that I'm going to respond to:

1 - The religious sentiment of "hate the sin, love the sinner" - I think this is one of Christianity's most effective cop-outs because in essence it's a message of peace. But it's designed, in my opinion, to keep criticism of the religion at bay. If you look at it, what it's really saying is "we hate who you are and what you do, but we still love you in spite of that". I honestly don't buy it for a second. You don't love somebody if you hate a large intrinsic part of who they are. The religion itself would never vote in favour of gay rights, so basically what it's doing is patting us on our heads and telling us it's all going to be okay while screwing us behind our backs. I think it's one of the most insidious messages religion puts out there and the implications of it are confusing to the point of potential harm. I'd prefer it if they were just honest rather than trying to appease us for the sake of their public image.
                  I just wanna ask, do you think this about ALL Christians? Because I can vouch at least for the ELCA that they don't actually follow "Love the sinner, Hate the sin, so what you are saying wouldn't apply to them.

ANd FreakyLocz, I haven't had a chance to watch your video. When I do, I might have a comment.
                  Old October 30th, 2011 (8:04 AM).

Quote:
                  Welcome Charlie Kelly!! It's good to have new members, they're coming less frequently now :)

I'm feeling pretty black and white this morning myself.

While I do believe that it's possible (and even common) to love someone while hating something they do, I have to agree with Raichu. It always feels like a cop-out when someone uses this line. It's kind of bothersome for some outside person to dissect you like that. They say "Oh, you are separate from your 'sin'" - as if it isn't an intrinsic part of you. Even if it really isn't a big part of who you are, who is someone else to presume that?

Quote:
                  2 - The "upbringing" excuse - This is one thing I really can't stand about people who are against LGBT rights. What it implies when that is said is that because that's how you were brought up, it's automatically OK. It's a cop-out; it's something to fall back on. The way you were brought up, in my opinion, is no excuse for the way you think now. Surely it's a factor, but everybody is capable of independent thought and therefore nobody has an excuse to be a mouthpiece for the views of their parents. If you hate the LGBT community or don't support their rights, you're going to have to do better than "that's the way I was raised", I'm afraid. I was raised with the intolerant view that foreigners should go back to their own countries and stay the hell away from Australia, but that's certainly not what I believe now.
                  It's an excuse not to think. It's like saying "Well, I could listen to your argument on this and try to come up with a thoughtful conclusion, or I could just go with what I already feel." If someone were to say "I've thought about this a lot and based on everything I've read and heard I've concluded that I can't be for LGBT rights." then that would be something a whole lot better. But no one does that because then they *gasp* might have to explain their reasoning and put their conclusions up to the spotlight. If you say "It's how I was raised" it's like we somehow aren't allowed to challenge that - or that it's something a person can't change - or even worse, that it's admittedly prejudiced and not logical and that no logical arguments can or should be used in trying to get someone to change their mind.

Quote:
                  How do you feel about this guy saying bullying is good?
                  I don't buy that bullying is a part of life and that we should just deal with it. We're supposed to accept something bad because it's common? That's stupid. Sexual assault and rape are quite common despite that we know they're bad and don't say "well, that's the way things are." I know there's a vast difference in severity between rape and bullying, but the underlying principle is (or should be) the same.
                  Old October 30th, 2011 (8:16 AM).
                  Don't Ask, Just Tell

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pikapal642 View Post

I just wanna ask, do you think this about ALL Christians? Because I can vouch at least for the ELCA that they don't actually follow "Love the sinner, Hate the sin, so what you are saying wouldn't apply to them.

ANd FreakyLocz, I haven't had a chance to watch your video. When I do, I might have a comment.
                    No, I think he was talking about those who use religion as a way to justify opposition to gay rights.

People literally used religion to justify opposition to liberating slaves because the bible never condemned slavery, and it dictates that "slaves obey masters whether they be kind or cruel." So slave-owners condemned runaway slaves for breaking the religious law. Like his example, using inappropriately using religion to justify oppression equivocates hate/intolerance. However, not all Christians inappropriately use religion to oppress others.

Also, the "love the sinner" thing doesn't really apply either. For example, you would not actively oppose job anti-discrimination protection for a gay person if you "loved" them. I mean, look at Alqueda, they kill tons of people and oppress women, yet their religious text is similar to Christianity.

Don't be a rotten apple!
                    !

Quick Reply