• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Extended World Design in Gold, Silver & Crystal (with Pictures)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
Seafoam-Islands-B4F-Transition-Optimised.gif

A few years back, I did some concepts for extending areas in generation II's Kanto. As we all know, the original Kanto region in the second generation was not as expansive as in gen I, as the game developers had to cut out or heavily reduce many areas.

I've put up these concepts in a blog post for anyone interested. It would be a dream come true to one day make a version of Gold, Silver and Crystal very similar to the original but with all 251 pokémon obtainable throughout an extensive world map of both Johto and Kanto.

Have any of you done something similar? What are your thoughts on this? All input is welcome. We can just discuss your love for the games if you want. =)

I know people were happy with HeartGold and SoulSilver, and they were great games on their own. I really liked the original 2D designs though. ^^,

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
Take a shot with pokecrystal. You can make exactly what you want.

You know what? Maybe I will. I've been wanting an extensive version of these games ever since I met the first guard in pokémon Gold's Kanto as a kid.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and pointing me in a direction. I might as well set aside some time to educate myself further on this.

Last edited:

Charmanderdude

Burning Passion
Years
I've never really thought about it too much. Didn't felt like the Kanto section of Generation II was too short. I mean, it was good enough to stretch out the main game quest longer, but I guess when you compare it to Generation I's Kanto then yeah a lot of corners were cut.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
Sure things. If you need specific help, most folks familiar with it are on https://hax.iimarckus.org/

Also, there's a Wiki with a lot tutorials to add and change features, and a document explaining how to fix many remaining bugs found in the game.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this!

I've never really thought about it too much. Didn't felt like the Kanto section of Generation II was too short. I mean, it was good enough to stretch out the main game quest longer, but I guess when you compare it to Generation I's Kanto then yeah a lot of corners were cut.

I agree with you in that the developers did a great job with what they had. If I understand it correctly, there was apparently a lot of stress around the release of these games. Yet they still managed to fit in almost a full extra region, which was great.

It's just this "almost" that has always lingered on like a grain of sand in my tomato soup, though. Imagine if you went to Cerulean Cave and there was actually a guard standing there preventing you from entering until you beat Red at Mt. Silver or something. Then you could catch Mewtwo in generation II and all would be well in the world. Trading from the old games was fantastic, but to me this would inch it just an extra step further and complete that small piece that was missing.

Then I could leave my earthly bounds behind and transcend to a higher plane of Pokémon perfection, my soul forever engulfed in the warm embrace of coming full circle.

Last edited:
Back