• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Roleplaying gripes

Years
I plan on eventually making an RP that's rated M for a reason to solve that problem. Not in a sexual way, but God damn it it's going to be violent, disturbing and somewhat terrifying. As I also occasionally have the issue of RPs not exactly being dark enough for my liking.

Essentially, a horror RP. Since those are very uncommon nowadays.

I don't mean "Dark" as in gothic/horror dark.

What I mean is, for example: I've been wanting to do a semi-realistic take on the Pokémon genre. As in, brutal arena animal pit fights, to include animal caging and black market trafficking. Pokémon that maim, maul, and kill each other instead of conveniently just knock one another out. Real hunting expeditions to capture the wild ones, and the whole process of breaking them to the owners will.
True crime syndicates for organizations like Team Rocket: guns, cars, drugs, brothels, torture, murder... etc.
Sorta take out the cutesy-ness and throw in a gritty thriller feel to it.

...Even malicious spirits and specters (maybe even possessions) as ghost type Pokémon. Extraction and enslavement of souls that are bound to do your bidding as a familiar in an unholy pact... <--- This I guess would be along the classic "horror" lines

...stuff like that. >:)

But like I said, it typically isn't wanted in most people's role plays and I don't want to GM another RP. If/when I join in with other people, I get too explicit (or rather they are too PG for me)... IF I can find something of interest in the first place.

...and that there is my gripe. -_-

Last edited:

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
is this still an issue? i thought it was resolved with Apotheosis' suggesting a posting order ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ might be nice to use that to prevent anyone from being left out anymore?

To be honest the few RPs I've been in that enforced a posting order quickly burned and crashed. Sometimes people are just too busy/unmotivated/don't have anything interesting to post about, and waiting for them can quickly kill any creative flow. The whole RP usually becomes a frustrating waiting game, and putting up a post becomes a bit of an obligation once it's your turn.

I prefer accidentally missing out on action (since I can generally find a way around it) than going for posting order again. xD

Years
I don't mean "Dark" as in gothic/horror dark.

What I mean is, for example: I've been wanting to do a semi-realistic take on the Pokémon genre. As in, brutal arena animal pit fights, to include animal caging and black market trafficking. Pokémon that maim, maul, and kill each other instead of conveniently just knock one another out. Real hunting expeditions to capture the wild ones, and the whole process of breaking them to the owners will.
True crime syndicates for organizations like Team Rocket: guns, cars, drugs, brothels, torture, murder... etc.
Sorta take out the cutesy-ness and throw in a gritty thriller feel to it.

...Even malicious spirits and specters (maybe even possessions) as ghost type Pokémon. Extraction and enslavement of souls that are bound to do your bidding as a familiar in an unholy pact... <--- This I guess would be along the classic "horror" lines

...stuff like that. >:)

But like I said, it typically isn't wanted in most people's role plays and I don't want to GM another RP. If/when I join in with other people, I get too explicit (or rather they are too PG for me)... IF I can find something of interest in the first place.

...and that there is my gripe. -_-

There have been a few darker and grittier takes on the pokemon world here in the past and some of them have actually been quite successful. I wouldn't count the idea out just yet.

If you really would like to see that happen but don't have the time, you should leave a post about it in the idea dump.

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
To be honest the few RPs I've been in that enforced a posting order quickly burned and crashed. Sometimes people are just too busy/unmotivated/don't have anything interesting to post about, and waiting for them can quickly kill any creative flow. The whole RP usually becomes a frustrating waiting game, and putting up a post becomes a bit of an obligation once it's your turn.

I prefer accidentally missing out on action (since I can generally find a way around it) than going for posting order again. xD

hm, i see. but then like Apotheosis also said, if people are too busy/don't feel the need to contribute, they can just say they skip their turn in the OOC thread i guess ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ but i understand your point of view as well. just thought it'd help c:

Years
There have been a few darker and grittier takes on the pokemon world here in the past and some of them have actually been quite successful. I wouldn't count the idea out just yet.

If you really would like to see that happen but don't have the time, you should leave a post about it in the idea dump.

Well, I dunno about handing over an intricate and carefully constructed storyline to whomever just happens to pick it up and run with it. I mean, that's a lot of work to put together and then just turn in... and then there is no guarantee that they won't just bastardize the plot as soon as they dont like where its going. If I write an RP outline, I would definitely have my reservations about giving up its control.

Since I am not currently participating in any active RP's, I might have the time to put one (and only one) together...

I will prolly write something out, and in the time it takes me to complete the outline and story branch options I will decide whether or not I will go through with submitting it for approval.

Thank you for the advice. {:3}

Years
When obviously younger role players have noticeably worse quality writing than the rest of the role players. We've all been at a point where our writing wasn't the greatest. Everyone goes through it and everyone grows out of it. That's what makes it worse, though; you can't really force that person into better writing, they kind of have to learn it themselves over time. I guess the only way to handle that is for each sign up to require roleplay samples, but that would mean some part of the roleplay community never really gets a chance to improve their skills.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I hate having people sign up and then immediately drop off. It really agitates me that I included them in posts or editing the OP just to have them leave right after. That's why I usually won't commit to RPs unless I'm sure I can at least get 3-5 posts in.

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
Years
Honestly, whenever I see an RP that has a lot of skilled writers in it, I'm often turned off by it. Not because I hate the skilled writers, far from it. I admire those that can put in such a huge amount of effort and skill into their role-playing. It's just that, (and I know this sounds stupid), I'm kind of intimidated. And I know that the community here are very accepting of newbies and stuff, but I still can't help but feel intimidated.

So yeah, I guess my gripe is that I don't feel skilled enough to join a lot of the RP's here.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Honestly, whenever I see an RP that has a lot of skilled writers in it, I'm often turned off by it. Not because I hate the skilled writers, far from it. I admire those that can put in such a huge amount of effort and skill into their role-playing. It's just that, (and I know this sounds stupid), I'm kind of intimidated. And I know that the community here are very accepting of newbies and stuff, but I still can't help but feel intimidated.

So yeah, I guess my gripe is that I don't feel skilled enough to join a lot of the RP's here.

Why do I feel like you're trying to cover up laziness :I

You really shouldn't feel intimidated by other RPers. Nobody will ever judge your writing unless you ask for critique. Plus, if you belittle yourself so much, nobody will ever see how good you are! :o

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
Years
Why do I feel like you're trying to cover up laziness :I

You really shouldn't feel intimidated by other RPers. Nobody will ever judge your writing unless you ask for critique. Plus, if you belittle yourself so much, nobody will ever see how good you are! :o

First part was a little harsh, but it was probably a joke, so whatever.

Second part is something that I'm really trying to work on. It's just something that is present now, and I hope to move past it soon.

Back