• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
So, I've got a sweet deal to make. Don't think I'm dropping down my title, I'm not. I've come up with a fascinating RP that is sure to get me some followers interest everyone. I won't submit it now. I plan to submit the RP this coming July. Here's a taste of what you may be from the worlds, curtesy of the Dragon Emperor.

Spoiler:

You can take the actual form or be human with some of the traits from one world. I will also join in my RP. Just don't get in my way, otherwise I won't hesitate to leave you behind.

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
Years
Oh, I'm not talking about something I made or a TV show or anything. (click for ic) (click for ooc)

It's an old roleplay made by Aura Rift ages ago. Ah, good times. Good times.
Yeah, I saw that one when it was here. The idea of it is similar to The Familiar of Zero, though, is what I meant. And even if it's not actually based off the anime, watching it is still what got my interest :3

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Alright guys, FORSAKEN is finally up and awaiting players! Find a buddy and come on down!

For ease of access, you can click the banner in my signature to go right to the RP!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Hey guys what's up sry for not being active again. This is the only time I have now to say I can't stay due to time constraints. I'll occasionally drop by and say hi but I can't do to much. My clan for my video games is requesting a lot of time. Anyway hope to see u guys about once a month ill post here but not like for rping. Just to say hi. Well that settles that so see you guys in a bit.

Years
Guys what are some interesting RPs with active players and open spots you recommend? I'm looking to join one or two more RPs.

Also shameless plug - Pokemon: Journeys through Novia needs members.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Guys what are some interesting RPs with active players and open spots you recommend? I'm looking to join one or two more RPs.

Also shameless plug - Pokemon: Journeys through Novia needs members.

Pokemon trainer academy still has open spots~ Forsaken still has open spots too.

I'm not sure if Pokémon Fallout still has open spots.

Too bad Youkai Academy's spots are full c: but i've noticed an inactive member so if you wanna~~ …

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, like I promised before, I've worked on a new pokemon journey RP:

Spoiler:

It's not quite finished, but it will be soon~!

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Hello everyone, it's the time of the year again for the Roleplay Awards! Be sure to cast your nominations before the end of the month. Be mindful that this month is shorter (28th) so the window is a lot smaller than other seasons.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
I have to ask; what's the point of the Roleplay Awards? It's basically telling everybody who doesn't win that they suck.

Not to mention the fact that, if people can get repeat awards. it's relatively pointless and nothing changes. But if people can't get repeat awards, then eventually everybody will have won, rendering the entire thing pointless again.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
@Lilizuki But at the same time it's awarding someone for working very hard. It's just like the Olympics. You get awarded for training, for working hard at your sport and you get recognition for it. Only here we award others for upgrading their roleplaying style and tell them in essence good job. It can also motivate others to strive to become a better roleplayer and also get an award during the other quarters.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
I happen to know at least two people that were dissatisfied with the awards given to them; not because they deserved even more awards, but because of the process. Something's clearly gone missing in translation.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
You know, I'm kind of in agreement with Lilizuki here. I know a few people (no names) who dislike the awards, and are often discouraged when they find out they did not win awards.

I'm not sure what else to say with this.

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
Years
Eh, I like the whole thing RPA thing. I haven't won an award once, but I keep trying to improve in the hopes that one day I'll get there.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
You know, I'm kind of in agreement with Lilizuki here. I know a few people (no names) who dislike the awards, and are often discouraged when they find out they did not win awards.

I'm not sure what else to say with this.

I guess I see how you two can view it as negative reinforcement, but that isn't at all how it's intended to be. The whole idea behind it is commending good work, effort, and creativity. For people who are discouraged when they find out that they didn't win awards, they should instead decide that they need to improve or change something for the better to get one, rather than be discouraged.

Also, it's meant to be friendly competition rather than the sort of competition that says, "I'm better than you."

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
I guess I see how you two can view it as negative reinforcement, but that isn't at all how it's intended to be. The whole idea behind it is commending good work, effort, and creativity. For people who are discouraged when they find out that they didn't win awards, they should instead decide that they need to improve or change something for the better to get one, rather than be discouraged.
Wouldn't it then be prudent to have a thread where roleplayers seeking to improve can get guidance on how to? It's something to consider, letting these people know that there are people willing to help, rather than allowing them to stew in discouragement.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
As someone new to the Roleplay section (kind of), all I can compare the RPAs to is that of Member of the Year. It's either beloved, taken with a grain of salt (as it should be), or it's just hated. It's just something to reward people for for working hard, not to make people feel discouraged. I understand how and why people could feel that way, but with any contest like that people need to take it with a grain of salt. It's not saying that someone is a bad RPer or they aren't liked, it's just a way to recognize people. If anything, I'd take it as motivation to do better (if you truly do want to earn an award). That said, it's just some random award on a random forum that doesn't really hold any true value, no reason to be upset by it.

But that's just me =P

Last edited:

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
We've constantly tried to evolve the Roleplay awards to the best of our abilities. It's gone from a strict popularity contest before to an attempt to actually make it as fair as we can, by eliminating the direct win-by-number-of-nominations process to a selection method by a panel of anonymous Rpers from the board. The panel does try its best to seek out the most qualified and people most deserving of that specific award, even if that occasionally has to go against the popular vote and to someone who wasn't nominated in the first place. They're trying to be fair, but obviously the RPAs are not perfect. However, I agree with what Jake said. Ultimately, people shouldn't dwell on it too much.

Nonetheless, as a way we can constantly improve it, feedback is always welcome, whether here in the RPD, or if you prefer by PM to Skymin (or myself if you like). If you do have suggestions, please try to be specific with them, instead of suggesting that the system is wrong, or you don't like the RPAs.

Much appreciated,

-SV

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Wouldn't it then be prudent to have a thread where roleplayers seeking to improve can get guidance on how to? It's something to consider, letting these people know that there are people willing to help, rather than allowing them to stew in discouragement.

I think that there used to be a thread for "apprentices" or something along those lines, but I haven't really been active here over the past year or two, so I wouldn't know. The RP Awards also provide a standard to look up to for the people who didn't get awards. And I think that there are a few guides on how to be a better Roleplayer, and write better sign-ups, etc.

What Jake said above is also spot on. It's meant to be taken with a grain of salt. It should have no real bearing on people's lives outside of Pokecommunity because it's only an award on an online community.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
True, it's just something on a roleplay board. It really doesn't affect your life unless we started offering up cash prizes... But I highly doubt that would ever happen. Though if anyone would like to donate I would be more than happy to hold onto all the cash. ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back