The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Anime & Manga
Chit-Chat Can we make sweet memes together, onii-chan?

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #701    
Old 19 Hours Ago (4:36 AM).
Meyneth's Avatar
Meyneth Meyneth is online now
💔
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 8,059
I use MAL to keep track of what I've watched, but I don't update it with episode counts etc...too much effort.
__________________
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #702    
Old 14 Hours Ago (9:22 AM).
Marth's Avatar
Marth Marth is offline
I'm the Reaper!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: the construction site that is my home
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,491
I didn't even know we have a MAL Thread. Then again, I only just opened up an account about a month ago. Now if only I could remember all the series I watched a couple years ago...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #703    
Old 12 Hours Ago (11:14 AM).
Meyneth's Avatar
Meyneth Meyneth is online now
💔
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 8,059
I had that problem...I forget to add a couple of Ghibli movies until very recently. One of them was Princess Mononoke, and that's my third or fourth favourite, which just goes to show how forgetful I can be.

I'd love to use the "I've seen too many anime!" line as an excuse, but I only just hit 300, so...yeah.
__________________
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #704    
Old 12 Hours Ago (11:40 AM).
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj donavannj is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,185
I'm torn between digging up the old one or just re-creating a new version to refresh it. I want to refresh the rule sticky, too, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the Master.




I'm still a little surprised at just how much I enjoyed the Index/Railgun series, actually. The movie left a lot to be desired, but it's one of those rare series where I felt that they developed both the characters and the world more than enough to satisfy, especially when watched together. We just need...more. More of all of it. Surely the LNs must be far enough ahead by now for at least a 12/13 episode season...
They definitely are, though I think the issue is the cutoff point between the original LN series and the New Testament LN series for Index. Railgun might need a bit more material yet, but I've only got the English manga releases to go off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
More than that, and the demand and popularity's there to boot.

Wasn't there a statement this year about the possibility of another anime being spat out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
I wish they'd stop treating anime solely like promotional material for manga/LNs, it's a media in its own right and deserves due care and respect.

I'm not one of those people who is enticed to check out other related material because I enjoyed something though, which I suppose puts me in the minority again. Ugh.
One issue i do have is that the author themselves probably doesn't get the greatest of compensation for a series getting an anime adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Nah, you're not in the minority, really. I think the only anime I've seen that's made people jump to the source material en masse was Jojo, but other than that it's actually a pretty vocal minority who follow the source material after watching the show. Well, it happens more in the case of manga than Light Novels

Well, this is moreso the case in the West for availability reasons.
In the West, sure, but from what I understand (and this may well be inaccurate), LNs and manga are far more widespread and popular than anime because it's easier to read on the train or in school (or, at least, it used to be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
It seems to me that half the time people are comparing anime to manga/LNs and complaining about it; it's the Japanese version of comparing the books to the movies...another thing I don't personally subscribe to, because totally different media.

I guess I'm annoyed that the two are often tied together because it means anime gets the short end of the stick...quite often, manga never gets fully adapted into anime, so you get these amazing anime that are forever unfinished or unresolved just because their source material isn't popular enough. They're never going to fully adapt Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, to name one I'm especially bitter about.

I don't see why they can't deviate from the source material more often if they won't make a second season, or if the source itself is nowhere near completion. I mean, the original Fullmetal Alchemist established its own identity once it ran out of source material, and in a lot of ways I actually prefer it, especially for the emotional connection various cast members (homonculus especially; Sloth was MUCH better than Sloth in Brotherhood) had with one another.
Sorry, source material nerd here who's been burned by mukty adaptations before (NEGIMA! and Love Hina, for instance). Can't really defend against this rant, but also not going to sincerely apologize because I'm a super hardcore source material nerd for series that I get acquainted with in print before hand.

Complaining about the way something is adapted is a legitimate gripe, though, if it completely changes the story or a character.
__________________
tcg nerd, lead pusher of anime paraphernalia, and forum games maven
Reply With Quote
  #705    
Old 11 Hours Ago (11:50 AM).
Meyneth's Avatar
Meyneth Meyneth is online now
💔
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 8,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
They definitely are, though I think the issue is the cutoff point between the original LN series and the New Testament LN series for Index. Railgun might need a bit more material yet, but I've only got the English manga releases to go off of.
I'll have to take your word for it, since I don't read the LNs...although I have to admit that it's the only series where I have seriously considered it. I think I would probably appreciate the anime a lot more - and I already like the anime quite a bit - with that extra worldbuilding the LNs go into...

...but then I'd be stuck waiting for new LNs, and waiting for novels annoys me even more than waiting for anime does, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
Sorry, source material nerd here who's been burned by mukty adaptations before (NEGIMA! and Love Hina, for instance). Can't really defend against this rant, but also not going to sincerely apologize because I'm a super hardcore source material nerd for series that I get acquainted with in print before hand.

Complaining about the way something is adapted is a legitimate gripe, though, if it completely changes the story or a character.
I can see your point, because I hated the Harry Potter movies growing up because of how they adapted the source material; I didn't stop comparing the two different media until I was in my late teens/early 20s...and a part of me still does it because of how terribly Marvel has been handling their Cinematic Universe for the most part. But I've also only got a handful of series to go by with anime, which I've already mentioned, and half of them I didn't care for...I mean, Hellsing Ultimate adapts the manga, and it's substantially better than the original series. So much better it's not even funny.

I guess it really does depend on your individual experience with a series.

It just annoys me that people don't finish what they start. Especially when it's something I really like.
__________________
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:43 PM.