• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[HGSS] Is it possible to edit in game trades?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Uk
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Hi everyone, I've been working on a little Soul Silver ROM hack for a while now and I'm pretty close to releasing the first version. One thing I've been having lots of trouble with however is editing in-game trades. I found a really obscure tool that helped me out with this, however it only works on unedited roms. I tried editing a clean rom using this tool and it worked out pretty well, but when I tried extracting narc file A112 (the in-game trade file) and inserting it into my already edited ROM, nothing changed. I then tried doing it in reverse by adding all the other narc files that I needed from my edited ROM into the ROM where I had successfully edited the in game trades but when I went to playtest, the in game trades had returned to the base game trades.

I'm guessing I somehow have the wrong narc file or I just messed up somewhere but I've tried doing things this way multiple times and it never works properly. Could someone please help me out? If I'm using the wrong narc file and I found the real one I'd be sorted. Alternatively if you know the locations of the in game trade scripts in SDSME then I could probably edit them from there (although I haven't gotten very far into script editing yet so it'll take me a while to learn that properly). Ideally there would be some sort of tool I missed that would let me just quickly edit the trades but as far I can tell there aren't any finished tools that can do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Uk
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024

Update: I figured out a solution using hex editing! I was gonna post about how I did it but I haven't made enough post on pokecommunity for me to post links yet lol. But if you just type '[HGSS] Is it possible to edit in game trades?' into google you can probably find my post on project pokémon where I explain my solution. If you've never hex edited before and feel like it would be too complex, I'd say you should give it a shot, if you follow a tutorial and have any basic coding experience you can probably figure out what you need to do!

Back