Male
Czech Republic
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 23 Hours Ago
3,865 posts
7.1 Years

Ultimate Dragon Monotype in Pokémon Y

FINAL PART

I'm here with another update after who knows long. I swear I'll finish Alola portion before Christmas.

Anyway, Kalos was surprisingly hard. Or like annoying more than hard. I had only Axew and Bagon in early game. They are both pretty weak and squishy, so leveling them was pretty annoying. It got better with Tyrunt, but I still had to use unusual strategies to win some battles - like using Charm against Grant's Tyrunt to be able to beat it.

Early game was especially painful since there are Fairy-types everywhere in Kalos. But once Axew, Bagon and newly obtained Gible evolved, it got a little bit easier. I think it was around Team Flare subplot, when my dragons got to their final stages and steamrolled everything. Even Lysandre's Mega Gyarados had no chance.

At this point I kinda forgot that there are more Dragon-types after Noibat, so I picked the team from dragons available to that point. I wanted to use all Gen VI dragons, so Goodra, Dragalge, Noivern and Tyrantrum were all on the team. I then went with Garchomp, because it slowly grew on me and Salamance, because I thought there are no Altaria in Kalos.

As for a E4, the battles were pretty okay. I should have learn some Fire-type moves though. They would make it even easier. The only real threat to my team was Diantha's Gardevoir, who survived Toxic poisoning twice and then I only beat her thanks to Noivern's Tailwind boosting my team's speed.

And here's Hall of Fame:

So, Alola is last and once again, I'll have opportunity to use full team of Pokémon. I'll once again use Gen VII Dragon-types, so Alolan Exeggutor, Kommo-O and Drampa (since I'll probably play it in Ultra Moon) and then I'll use some good old dragons. I think I'll use Kingdra and Noivern again. Oh and are Ultra Beasts allowed? Since there are few Dragon-types among them and I would love to try them.

Team

Drakena, Naughty Female Salamence
lvl 69, Intimidate @Draco Plate
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Fly
- Zen Headbutt

Slasher, Sassy Male Garchomp
lvl 68, Sand Veil @Dragon Fang
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Brick Break

Gooey, Timid Male Goodra
lvl 67, Sap Sipper @Splash Plate
- Dragon Pulse
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Power Whip

Winger, Careful Male Noivern
lvl 65, Infiltrator @Sharp Beak
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Dragon Pulse
- Boomburst

Poi, Mild Male Dragalge
lvl 68, Poison Point @Poison Barb
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

King, Timid Male Tyrantrum
lvl 57, Strong Jaw @Soft Sand
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
Pokémon Challenges | Shiny Island
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
18 posts
316 Days
Hey, all, it's been a while. I picked up a new role as a Staff Composer, Arranger, and Orchestrator for a local community orchestra, and we're going to be doing some video game music. I was in a rush from November through April to try and get that music ready, and then the lovely stuff happening around the world took shape. Unfortunately, this means that although I tried to find time, I eventually became so focused on all that work that I did not have a chance to keep working on this. However, I picked it back up today and sort of condensed my notes about what I had previously done (which was Absorb the heck out of Roxanne's mons and then Gust the heck out of Brawly's...so, super cheese).

But here's where I am and where I'm going.

I do remember it taking a number of attempts to finally beat Roxanne, but I eventually did. It all came down to Absorb. And Absorb. I do remember struggling for quite some time, trying all sorts of different things to avoid using Absorb.

As for Brawly? It basically ended up being the same thing, but with Gust. It's incredibly cheesy to just use the one 'mon, but unfortunately, I wasn't well trained up with my Nincada. And Gust is good against them. I remember fighting

That's basically where I stopped, after being ready to head north from Slateport towards my third gym battle. Unfortunately, May was ticking me off, as her Slugma kept using Ember and knocking out both of my 'mons.

Today, I picked the game back up and decided to see where I had left off. I'd recently got my wife interested in monotype - she's running Steel on Gen8 while I'm joining her by running Fairy. It was something to do, so I pulled this game back out and figured now was the best time to pick back up on the Ultimate Monotype I had started.

I gave May a shot and wiped. Went back and spammed Gust...and that worked on the third time. Yay. Made the rest of my way through the route and into Mauville. Wally is a pushover with just the one Psychic type Pokemon when you have all Bug types. Even if Leech Life sucks. (Not an intended pun.)

As a result of the battle with Wally, I was sitting at around 4h30m for time. But, in greater news, Nincada evolved, and that gave me both the Ninjask and the Shedinja. Party was finally up to 3. And it was at the point that I remembered the remaining two I can catch are just outside of town. I caught the Illumise easily enough, but unfortunately the 1% Volbeat (I'm on Emerald, keep in mind) took over an hour to spawn. I'm now at about 6h10m for play time.

I need to do some leveling, because I know this is going to suck. In Emerald, Wattson has four Pokemon. Three are straight Electric, but one is Electric/Steel (albeit without a Steel move). His Voltorb is the only one that can hit my Shedinja due to it knowing Rollout. Every other move known by his Pokemon is either Electric or Normal.

- For my Volbeat, I'm thinking about getting it to level 25, because it will learn Signal Beam. 75 base is nice.
- For my Illumise...I dunno. It's a very crap Pokemon. No Bug moves whatsoever. This one is probably going to be my most random Pokemon that gets the crappy TMs thrown at it.
- I'm not worried about my Shedinja - it already knows Fury Cutter, which is OP as hell.
- Ninjask is similar to Shedinja. It's ready to go for now. Swords Dance at 25 would be nice.
- With my Beautifly currently sitting at 23, I could level it up one more time to get Mega Drain, and replace Absorb.

Likely end goal is everyone at 25 before fighting Wattson. Not necessarily a bad idea, as his levels are 20/20/22/24.

Based on base stats alone, Volbeat and Illumise are my tankers (75 def and 85 spdef). The rest are attackers. But while I don't anticipate any trouble here with Wattson, I believe Flannery is next. Yay Fire Gym. Looking ahead to that, Dig is available just outside Fallarbor Town, and both Ninjask and Shedinja can learn it. It would be better to have on Ninjask, as it has much higher speed. Ninjask's base speed is 160. That's insane, as my next highest are Volbeat/Illumise at 85.

Here's what my team currently looks like. Please ignore the listing of Fairy type - I'm just too lazy to go in and program a way for it to recognize what type it was before it changed. Hint: Charm and Moonlight were both Normal.

Aim for tonight: Grind and then challenge Wattson.

Sumner

Not Summer

Male
Brazil
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
2,825 posts
2.1 Years
Ultimate Poison Monotype
Fire Red | Storm Silver | Omega Ruby | Renegade Platinum | Black 2 | X | Ultra Moon

I finally decided to continue this challenge, woo! Since I started with Ultra Moon, I'm not really preoccupied with doing these in regional order, so I just started X instead.

The start of this run was rough. The only Poison-type available before the first gym was Weedle, and it isn't an amazing Pokémon... I had to basically solo win with Beedrill until after Santalune.

Grinding Weedle was a pain. I was only able to KO a few mons like Scatterbug and Pansage at the forest, and it doesn't help that Weedle's only attacking move is Poison Sting. Once Weedle finally evolved into Kakuna, I had a better chance at surviving hits, but the lack of moves situation wasn't solved. Thankfully by level 10 it was already fully evolved, and hopefully able to take the gym by itself.

Surskit was easy to take out with Fury Attack, but Vivillon was surprisingly tanky. Setting up a Focus Energy helped to get some Fury Attack crits, and thankfully the bug didn't want to use Infestation at any point. Soloing the gym with Beedrill had worked!

After the gym, I was able to progress and get more team members, such as Bulbasaur, Venipede and Zubat. I still had some struggles in this bit, with one of the biggest threats being Flying-types. Grant was also a pretty tough battle, mainly because of the Amaura. I had to teach Ivysaur Nature Power (which turned into Power Gem), use it on the first turn, then do a sacrificial switch to Zubat and heal Ivysaur, so I could use another Nature Power and knock it out. It was a mess. Tyrunt was also kind of annoying with the flinches.

Once I finally got past that gym, and battled Korrina with her two Lucarios (which were also problematic to take out) I caught Stunky and Nidorino to finish my team. Got past Reflection Cave and reached Shalour, where I leveled up Nidoking and Stunky to be on pair with the rest of the team and progress. By this point, most of my team was already fully evolved and balanced, meaning fights got a lot better to deal with. I swapped Beedrill out later for Tentacool since I had a better Bug/Poison and needed a Water-type.

The struggle I had seemed to disappear and the rest of the game looked a lot better to deal with. Olympia was pretty threatening but I had Skuntank to deal with her. Wikstrom also seemed a pain to deal with but thankfully Nidoking with Earthquake decimated his team with the help of a flamethrowing Skuntank. Nidoking also took out three of Diantha's Pokémon, while Crobat handled Hawlucha and Scolipede handled Gourgeist and finished the battle with a Poison Jab on Gardevoir.

Spoiler:

Team

Venusaur (Sappo) | Nature: Lax | Overgrow
Moves: Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed, Toxic
Lv. 65 @ Venusaurite

Scolipede (Larva) | Nature: Brave | Swarm
Moves: Poison Jab, Megahorn, Swords Dance, Rock Slide
Lv. 66 @ Poison Barb

Crobat (Marcelo) | Nature: Hardy | Inner Focus
Moves: Acrobatics, Fly, Cross Poison, X-Scissor
Lv. 66

Nidoking (Stronk) | Nature: Adamant | Rivalry
Moves: Poison Jab, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt
Lv. 66 @ Metronome

Skuntank (Jake) | Nature: Hardy | Aftermath
Moves: Night Slash, Poison Jab, Hone Claws, Flamethrower
Lv. 66 @ Black Sludge

Tentacruel (De Vil) | Nature: Relaxed | Liquid Ooze
Moves: Waterfall, Poison Jab, Swords Dance, Ice Beam
Lv. 64 @ Wave Incense

credit

Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
13 posts
4.2 Years
A long time ago I had started a Pokemon Red Normal monotype challenge, but I but things down for a LONG while I now look forward to picking things back up again. Here is my current progress.

I have the Boulder Badge and have cleared Route 3 of trainers. My Pidgey and Rattata are both level 14. I have also captured two Spearows (I plan to trade one for a Farfetch'd later) and a Jigglypuff.

side note: Could someone give a clue on how to insert those pictures of pokemon, or symbols for the types? I would really appreciate it?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional

Male
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Hours Ago
1,817 posts
12.8 Years
A long time ago I had started a Pokemon Red Normal monotype challenge, but I but things down for a LONG while I now look forward to picking things back up again. Here is my current progress.

I have the Boulder Badge and have cleared Route 3 of trainers. My Pidgey and Rattata are both level 14. I have also captured two Spearows (I plan to trade one for a Farfetch'd later) and a Jigglypuff.

side note: Could someone give a clue on how to insert those pictures of pokemon, or symbols for the types? I would really appreciate it?
You can upload images to imgur with a free account or just use an image already on the internet.
Then, simply just type in [IMG], then paste a link to the image you want to use, then [/IMG]. No spaces between the 3 portions.
Like so:
3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-3902
IGN: Peter; (X, Y, OR, AS, S, M, US, UM)
Friend Safari: (Fighting) Throh, Meditite, Breloom
Living Pokedex Complete: Y, C, R, LG, E, D, Pl, HG, B, B2, X, Y, OR, AS, M, UM, LGP, Sw
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1, ~RNC~ and ThePoke Man

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
18 posts
316 Days
Went after Wattson the other day. For a bug run, it's relatively a challenge. I very quickly realized Voltorb wasn't the only one to be able to knock out Shedinja; Magneton knows Supersonic. I learned that the hard way as I tried to set up Fury Cutter and instead knocked myself out due to confusion.

A few tries later, I was in a pattern. Voltorb first (knocked out with Signal Beam from Volbeat), and then Electrike. I switched to Shedinja and just spammed Double Team to get my evasion as high I could in the hopes it would make it near impossible for Supersonic to hit me. Electrike used Leer a few times, and one use of Howl. Yay. Like Leer is going to make a difference when you have 1 HP. Fury Cutter time. I just kept using it. Got me through Electrike, and out comes Magneton. I got hit by a Thunder Wave (which landed), and then two Supersonics were attempted. Both failed. I had to restart Fury Cutter at the end due to Paralysis, but I was able to use a mixture of that and Fury Swipes to win.

The next goal is to get to Flannery. I've tried to train, picking up the Macho Brace to just let my effort values build up over time to increase the chance of survivability (I'm not planning to go out of my way to get the best effort value setup). Slowly working on getting ready for the yuck of Fire gym when being a bug trainer. I do have Dig and will be planning on using it on Ninjask in the hopes that gets me through. Thankfully, I believe most of my Pokemon are faster than Flannery's.

I would go grab Anorith now...but I can't because I can't get the Goggles until after beating Flannery.

Yay.

Next stop is: Mt. Chimney.

Current Status:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional

Male
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Hours Ago
1,817 posts
12.8 Years
Hi! I'm new to the whole monotype challenge, and I have a few questions. What do you mean by "monotypes can't be stacked in a single run"? Also what does "Elite-Four viable" mean? Also for the Ultimate Challenger runs, am I allowed to do multiple of those for different types? I will deeply appreciate a response.
1. Stacking means doing 2 monotypes at once. So you can't have a team of Pidgeot, Fearow, Dodrio and Farfetch'd and say you completed a Flying and a Normal monotype challenge at once. I mean, technically you did, but for this challenge thread, it only counts as one.

2. Elite Four viable means levelled up and trained. You can't have a Lvl90 Blastoise and a Lvl5 Magikarp and say you did a Water monotype challenge. You need at least 2 pokemon that can take on the Elite Four, like Blastoise and Gyarados of a decent level.

3. Yes, you can do as many challenges as you'd like.
3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-3902
IGN: Peter; (X, Y, OR, AS, S, M, US, UM)
Friend Safari: (Fighting) Throh, Meditite, Breloom
Living Pokedex Complete: Y, C, R, LG, E, D, Pl, HG, B, B2, X, Y, OR, AS, M, UM, LGP, Sw
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1, ~RNC~ and ThePoke Man

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
18 posts
316 Days
Let's talk about Gen 3 Flannery with a Bug run.

Wattson was relatively easy compared to Flannery. Honestly - I had to cheese this one. Getting through all of the trainers wasn't that bad, to be honest. Numel, the few times it came out, went down to a few Signal Beams. Many of the other mons in the Fire Gym were smacked with Stun Spore and then I went on to hit with whatever I could. I tried very much to avoid cheesing it with Dig.

Flannery was a different story. I tried to Stun Spore my way through, but I lost at the end of the first six runs. I was getting frustrated so I tried to Dig my way through it. Really had no luck until I started a run with Stun Spore, switching over to my Ninjask immediately. The next six turns are Double Team. After that, I use Swords Dance for a few turns. Then...it's on to Dig.

One shots for all of her Pokemon. Yay. The big benefit from beating Flannery is that I'm given the goggles the moment I leave...meaning it's finally time to round out my party with Anorith. Yay. But Anorith is only 20 and my others are 30. Time to level that Anorith...then to progress. Thankful for the long weekend.
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
13 posts
4.2 Years
I have made it through Mt Moon in my Pokemon Red Normal Monotype. Here is my current team.

Spoiler:

Pidgey :
Level 15
Moves:Gust, Sand Attack

Rattata:
Level 15
Moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

Spearow:
Level 14
Moves: Peck, Growl, Leer

Jigglypuff:
Level 13
Moves: Sing, Pound, Water Gun

Note: I gave Jigglypuff Water Gun via TM 12 to deal with rock types in Mt. Moon
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
18 posts
316 Days
I actually thought I was going to have less of a challenge against Norman than I did against Flannery. With Flannery, it was a matter of admitting that I was not going to be able to pull it off without cheesing it through a mix of Stun Spore, Double Team, Swords Dance, and Dig. Norman...just ticked me off. His mons hit so hard. I thought I was going to have at least somewhat of an easier time since I had Anorith, and him being part Rock would be helpful.

I was wrong.

I tried to go through the first mon of his, Spinda, with my Shedinja. Theoretically, the only thing that can hit me is myself with confusion from Teeter Dance. Unfortunately, that's the first thing Spinda does, so it's near impossible to survive. I tried about ten times with this route, giving up after having 0 times when I didn't hit myself. Even with Double Team, I stand no chance.

So I tried Stun Spore again - that sort of works, but I still got confused more than I didn't. In the end, Spinda isn't the hard part: It's Vigaroth and Slaking. Shedinja is no help to me for either of them, as they have Faint Attack. True, I might be able to escape getting him on Slaking with Double Team, but that's debatable as to how smart that is when you only have 1 HP.

The time that I won was basically a combination of dumb luck and a bunch of X items. And Super Potions. I was basically down to my final Pokemon, Anorith, when I made it to his Slaking. Thankfully, Slaking only hits every other turn, so I set up 6 X Defends, threw a Dire Hit in for good measure, an X Attack that I had picked up at some point, and then a bunch of Super Potions in between as needed to keep me alive. I then used Rock Tomb (thank you STAB), and that eventually got me the win. I had tried using a bunch of Metal Claw to up my attack further, but that wasn't really getting me anywhere and STAB Rock Tomb is more powerful.

Linoone basically took a few rocks to the face and was done. 5 badges down.

This probably would have been easier if I had let myself level my Pokemon more - but I'm finding lately that I am trying to keep around the levels of the gym leaders unless I have no choice. Norman's highest was 31, so I tried not to go past that. I have a feeling that will be something I very quickly grow out of as I progress through the remainder of the game.

I'm out of town on my laptop and forgot to bring my excel doc to make the stat picture. So, here's a textual version instead:

Anorith: L30, HP 80, Atk 72, Def 46, SAtk 33, SDef 36, Spd 54
Scratch, Rock Tomb, Metal Claw, Water Gun

Shedinja: L30, HP 1, Atk 62, Def 46, SAtk 31, SDef 26, Spd 33
Cut, Double Team, Leech Life, Fury Cutter

Volbeat: L30, HP 88, Atk 45, Def 39, SAtk 38, SDef 59, Spd 67
Quick Attack, Signal Beam, Double Team, Moonlight

Ninjask: L31, HP 81, Atk 64, Def 47, SAtk 46, SDef 39, Spd 100
Dig, Double Team, Swords Dance, Slash

Beautifly: L30, HP 80, Atk 61, Def 46, SAtk 65, SDef 36, Spd 53
Stun Spore, Mega Drain, Morning Sun, Gust

Then I also have my mudkip HM slave.
Male
South Korea
Seen 57 Minutes Ago
Posted 57 Minutes Ago
14 posts
11 Days
Hi. Got a little interested in this challenge. Is it normal for ppl to choose the type to run for themselves? If not, can I get recommendations for a type?
On 2nd thought, I'll do one with my choice and hope someone chooses sth else for me.

I'll try to post status every gym cleared.

Forum User Name: Goldikarp
Game(s): Pokemon Platinum
Pokémon Type: Steel
Single/Ultimate: Single
Male
South Korea
Seen 57 Minutes Ago
Posted 57 Minutes Ago
14 posts
11 Days
On 2nd thought, I'll do one with my choice and hope someone chooses sth else for me.

I'll try to post status every gym cleared.

Forum User Name: Goldikarp
Game(s): Pokemon Platinum
Pokémon Type: Steel
Single/Ultimate: Single
Status update:
1st gym cleared

Lv 17 Prinplup (Hasty)
Hp 48
Atk 29
Def 29
Sp.Atk 36
Sp.Def 32
Spd 25

Very easy 1~2 shot sweep with Prinplup.

Potential team members:
Probopass, magnezone, Steelix, Bronzong, Bastiodon
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
18 posts
316 Days
Bug/Emerald? Flying type gym? Sure, why not.

I found Anorith to be ridiculously powerful in this gym with just Rock Tomb. I didn't even get AncientPower until I was trying to grind a little. I thought about only going to 35, but then I forgot that I had the Exp Share on it, so it eventually hit 37 and learned AncientPower. While grinding, my Beautifly learned Silver Wind...and with those two I figured I would attempt Winona. I also had done the New Mauville sidequest to get Thunderbolt, and gave that to my Volbeat.

The one thing I'm finding is I'm either going to play completely blind and learn from what trainers do how to adjust my team...or I could actually look up their Pokemon ahead of time and decide the best course of action. I started at the first mindset and got decently far with a combination of Stun Spore and Rock Tomb. Thankfully, Rock Tomb is STAB so I can get at least some benefit from that. Anorith isn't a terribly quick Pokemon, so my concern was that if I didn't start with Rock Tomb and lower the opponent's speed, I wouldn't get a second shot in before their spamming of Aerial Ace knocked me out.

It took me about six tries of getting to Skarmory before I realized Tropius, being a Flying/Grass type...doesn't actually resist Flying type moves. And my Beautifly is Bug/Flying with Gust. Not the most powerful move, but Gust + STAB + Weakness = pretty good damage on Tropius. I had trouble getting through that one before I realized that, and once I did, it was 30 seconds before it was down.

In the end, I only won the time I did because Skarmory missed it's first Steel Wing...then missed it's third Steel Wing. That gave me enough time to Rock Tomb and then spam AncientPower (with a single Super Potion in for good measure). I reached that point where it's a decision between "Do I heal because I'm one hit away from dying" or "Do I just use my 100% Accuracy move and hope it hits". I chose the latter and managed to eek out a victory.

My levels are not close to each other, so I'm thinking I should do some leveling. Tate and Liza are the leaders of the next gym, and I think their levels are low 40s. I'll probably level everyone to 40, which will be good since it means my Anorith will evolve to Armaldo.

Current Team Setup:
Beautifly
L34 / HP 95 / Atk 70 / Def 52 / SAtk 73 / SDef 41 / Spd 60
Stun Spore / Silver Wind / Morning Sun / Gust

Ninjask
L33 / HP 86 / Atk 69 / Def 49 / SAtk 49 / SDef 41 / Spd 108
Dig / Double Team / Swords Dance / Slash

Volbeat
L33 / HP 97 / Atk 51 / Def 43 / SAtk 42 / SDef 64 / Spd 74
Thunderbolt / Signal Beam / Double Team / Moonlight

Anorith
L37 / HP 97 / Atk 89 / Def 57 / SAtk 41 / SDef 45 / Spd 67
Ancientpower / Rock Tomb / Metal Claw / Water Gun

Shedinja
L30 / HP 1 / Atk 62 / Def 46 / SAtk 31 / SDef 26 / Spd 33
Cut / Double Team / Leech Life / Fury Cutter
Male
South Korea
Seen 57 Minutes Ago
Posted 57 Minutes Ago
14 posts
11 Days
Status update:
2 Badges
Bidoof caught for HM slave.

Lv 27 Prinplup (Hasty)
Hp 72
Atk 44
Def 45
Sp.Atk 55
Sp.Def 49
Spd 38

Lv 18 Bronzor (Relaxed), heatproof
Hp 52
Atk 16
Def 44
Sp.Atk 16
Sp.Def 41
Spd 13

Lv 15 Probopass (Hardy), Sturdy
Hp 43
Atk 24
Def 51
Sp.Atk 32
Sp.Def 53
Spd 18

Grass gym was tougher than expected. Got bronzor and nosepass at Mt.Coronet and immediately lvled nosepass up to evolve it. Since prinplup is weak to grass and the other two were underleveled... I heavily relied on bronzor's confuse ray + hypnosis combo then to finish with prinplup. Due to my team being very slow, I should be building a defensive team to take hits to make through.
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
18 posts
316 Days
So...totally overlooked the Safari Zone as far as what was available. For some reason, I didn't think to find out what bugs are in there (Heracross, Pineco, Shuckle, and Ledyba, I believe). For the time being, I'm going to try and finish the rest of the game with my main team of 4. If I need others, I'll come back and grab them here. I'm avoid using Heracross and Pineco because those versions on my team in Gen 2 were pretty OP, so I'm hoping to try out new things here. But I know I can go back to it if I need assistance.

I brain farted and forgot Lilycove was NOT where the 7th gym was, so I spent basically all of yesterday (this week I'm on vacation) training my Pokemon up to 40, deciding Shedinja wasn't worth it, wondering what I was missing and having to look up a walkthrough, smacking myself for all the back and forth I was going to need to do...and then catching a Tropius because it was nearby and could learn Fly. Getting up to level 40 meant the Magma and Aqua areas were fairly quick (maybe like 20-30 minutes each), and I did gain a few levels here and there.

Finally making it to Mossdeep, got healed up and went straight for the gym. Gym wasn't exactly the hardest thing, but those gym leaders gave me a run for my money. It took three tries, so I feel like I'm getting better at understanding how to use my team after seeing what I'm up against.

On the final try, I ended up deciding that from the starting Claydol and Xatu, I'd rather have Claydol out longer. It doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Xatu. So my plan was to knock Xatu out first, then knock out the Solrock/Lunatone as they come out. Best thing I have for Rock is Metal Claw on Armaldo, so I switched my team around so I had Armaldo and Volbeat out. Armaldo used AncientPower and Volbeat used Thundershock to ensure they'd knock out Xatu. No boost from AncientPower, though. Sad face. Both Solrock and Lunatone had to contend with an onslaught of Signal Beam and Metal Claw. Signal Beam did a decent chunk of damage, but Metal Claw really ensured I'd knock each one out. With Xatu left, though, Armaldo got hit with one two many Psychics and got knocked out. I brought out my Ninjask so it could throw a quick Slash in, and that and one final Signal Beam got me the victory.

I know for a fact being at the level of the gym leaders is a little ahead of where I might be, but I know the game isn't going to let me enjoy that for long.

After all of that, I'm at the following for my main team of 4:

Armaldo L44
HP 142 / Atk 134 / Def 115 / SAtk 75 / SDef 77 / Spd 54
AncientPower / Rock Tomb / Metal Claw / Water Gun

Volbeat L43
HP 129 / Atk 70 / Def 56 / SAtk 59 / SDef 83 / Spd 103
Thunderbolt / Signal Beam / Double Team / Moonlight

Ninjask L42
HP 112 / Atk 91 / Def 66 / SAtk 66 / SDef 53 / Spd 143
Dig / Double Team / Swords Dance / Slash

Beautifly L43
HP 123 / Atk 94 / Def 69 / SAtk 96 / Sdef 54 / Spd 82
Gust / Silver Wind / Giga Drain / Stun Spore

I'd to love to get Earthquake onto Armaldo...and I am thinking I'm going to get Aerial Ace on either my Ninjask or Beautifly. If I put it on Ninjask, I think it'll probably replace Slash. Hmm. Now wondering if STAB is better than higher crit chance. Probably. That'll be the next thing after my ds recharges.
Male
South Korea
Seen 57 Minutes Ago
Posted 57 Minutes Ago
14 posts
11 Days
Pokemon Platinum Steel type run status:
5 badges.

Lv 47 Empoleon (Hasty), torrent
HP 141
Atk 97
Def 97
Sp.Atk 125
Sp.Def 106
Spd 80

Lv 39 Bronzong (Calm), Levitate
HP 109
Atk 71
Def 109
Sp.Atk 74
Sp.Def 111
Spd 40

Lv 39 Magnezone (Modest), Sturdy
HP 112
Atk 63
Def 104
Sp.Atk 123
Sp.Def 79
Spd 62

Lv 22 Probopass (Hardy), Sturdy
HP 58
Atk 34
Def 73
Sp.Atk 45
Sp.Def 76
Spd 25

HM slaves Bidoof and Pelipper.

Forgot about the update every gym... I'm just before entering the 6th steel gym of the game. After beating the 3rd gym with no difficulty via prinplup I decided to replace bronzor with another one having levitate. 4th gym was a strategic win with bronzor building 3 iron defenses and spamming extrasensory with confuse ray. For the 5th water gym I decided to use the TM for return on Empoleon. My main strategy was to peel mons below half health with return then finish with brine. I'm still undecided whether to look for wild Steelix in Iron island or keep Probopass. I originally thought about raising Riolu but realized that affection poke are not allowed lol. Biggest problem for my team is the lack of physical atk powerhouse... Maybe I should look for Steelix.