• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

let's discuss Facebook

Years
with more than a billion users worldwide, it's of no surprise that Facebook is pretty much the dominating social media platform. but it should also come as a surprise to absolutely no one that Facebook has been involved in more than its fair share of privacy/data scandals, and it has tested its users trust time and time again. which brings us to this thread.

do you use Facebook? if so, how often? how long do you give Facebook until it goes the way of MySpace, or do you think it'll still be a prevalent part of our lives for years to come?

feel free to rant about Facebook in this thread etc

Last edited:
Years
i use facebook, it's the norm here if you wanna get in touch with coworkers/alumni. just life things really.
honestly, i think it'll still be there. maybe like a 5 years longer? depends on how active the older people are, and if we find an alternative to popular team channels that are old people friendly.

milcute

a sweet melody~
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I used to have a Facebook, but I deleted it. I'm gonna be honest, I just really didn't like seeing how some of my old classmates had better lives than me. It's made things a bit inconvienent - my older sister pretty much lives on Facebook so I'm often out of the loop with stuff going on with her - but for the most part, I haven't regretted my decision.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
i use messenger a fair bit for all my irl friends
as for facebook i check it every few weeks mostly out of curiosity for how spammy my timeline can possibly get. i also can't help but have a bit more respect for the company than most because on the development side of things, they've been pushing cool new technologies that have been moving the web forward for like a decade. doesn't make up for the massive ethics violation that is that company though

Years
I maybe look at Facebook once every 1-2 days at most. I really don't post to it anymore and the reason I keep my account is because I manage a Facebook page for an organization. I also don't have instagram, so Facebook tends to be the place I look at photos from family and friends.

I use Messenger a lot though!

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
Years
I use it just because of a few groups of either niche or local interest, I've actually considered deleting my account from there but have only kept it because of those communities.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I rarely, if ever, use Facebook. The other day, I went and muted every single notification type for it so I never need to bother with it anymore.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I use facebook not to keep in touch with anyone or whatever, I use whatsapp for that. It's more of a meme gallery all the way through and I don't think I use it for any other thing? Like I upload a photo of myself like once a year, but that's it I guess.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I check it maybe once or twice a week. If my family wasn't on there, I wouldn't be.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I dislike Facebook. Ethics and privacy violations aside, I just find that there are far too many stupid people on it. It was a big blight on my life that I'm glad I got rid of. Plus, it gives me more free time now that I'm sat there glued to my memes; now I can spend my time writing or drawing or actually having meaningful conversation with people who don't annoy the crap out of me.

Was never a fan of the groups. Things were policed so heavily there that I only had one group which was truly a free speech group. I remember getting kicked out of one because I commented negatively on a video in which a dude was sexually harassing women. I was told to just scroll down and the owner of that group was so militant, I wound up getting kicked (or I unfollowed and then was banned; I dunno, they both happened in tandem).

Then there were a bunch of people who suffered from group think, so if I commented something that went against the group, I was piled on by several people. Very annoying and childish. I love that I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. :) I've basically signed out of all social media to avoid it and I don't regret it. I was already out of the loop anyway.

Years
i still find it kind of a shame that there's nothing out there to this day that can "dethrone" (so to speak) Facebook. and not even really in a social media sense, i mean it moreso in a business sense. kinda wild the stuff that Mark Zuckerburg gets away with despite scandal after scandal, and i doubt very many people are actually quitting facebook due to how vital it is in their everyday interactions with internal or external relatives or friends.

Last edited:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Not interested in facebook or any other social media site that doesn't even allow me to customise my own profile.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I've been using it since 2010, but I almost never post on my personal account. I liked every page of my interests/hobbies and it's a good way to keep up with that stuff.

Last edited:
Years
I use it mostly as a way to keep up with family, since they all have it. I log on for a few mins every day, plus I've sold items on marketplace which I think is a useful addition.

Years
Short and simple answer for me... I don't have an account and don't want one.

Besides not liking them as a company, the stupid real name policy (often even asking for ID) is insane for many reasons.

Back