• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Miss Universe 2019

Years
So the crown goes to Zozibini Tunzi of South Africa this year. Here she is folks!

What do you think of our new Miss Universe? You can read more about her here.
https://www.vibe.com/2019/12/miss-south-africa-zozibini-tunzi-miss-universe-winner

I think she's a stunning sight, and extremely intelligent and gracious. Her dignified speaking voice flows like music. I would say she's an exceptional choice for Miss Universe.

Which contestants or moments stood out to you?

There were a lot of really beautiful women that I wish I could have seen more of, but of the ladies who made it to the semi-finals and I had the chance to get to know a bit I remember enjoying meeting Miss Peru. She has a really dramatic look, and her voice is full of warmth. I found it truly moving when she shared her experience working to put herself through college.

Here you can find photos and brief bios for all 90 women who competed.

https://www.insider.com/miss-universe-pageant-contestants-photos-2019-12#ecuador-cristina-hidalgo-28

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I have never heard of this "Miss Universe" contest, but some thoughts from reading the article.

If beauty is supposed to be subjective, then I'm confused on how these contests work. I'm getting similar thoughts as to when I watched a culinary contest. Taste is subjective so I wonder how someones cooking can be judged. It isn't like a vocal contest where some are clearly better singers. Then again you did mention her voice so maybe this is more of a talent contest?

That said, I'm happy for her and that she won of course. Yet wouldn't the other people who competed and lost be equally hurt? There are others who may have faced equal hardships and have had a less happy outcome in the contest, which leaves me conflicted as I started thinking about them. As with any contest, there are always going to be those who don't win. But I'm quite confused on the purpose of this contest specifically. In a singing contest such as American Idol the winner will be set up with a chance at a musical career. So I'm wondering if it's a similar situation for this. (The winner gets a chance at a fashion career or something similar).

So I looked up the reward, and it's a huge cash prize. From what I'm reading they don't keep the crown either. It's strange but unrelated. And it makes me wonder if these contests would be worth the feelings inflicted. When you lose a singing contest, life would carry on. You could even get better at your singing ability. But when you lose a beauty contest, wouldn't it be hurtful to be told you just don't look as good as the others? Looks are apart of somebody, which I think splits a beauty contest from other talent contests. During a beauty contest, the person themselves would be judged, not the person's individual talent. Again, if I'm mislead and this is a talent contest, then these thoughts are nullified.

On a smaller thought, reading that someone who was my age has been killed hits me on a much more personal level for some reason. Almost like a punch to the gut. I wonder if this happens for others.

I do not mean to create conflict in a celebration topic, these are simply the thoughts that formed as I scrolled through the article. (The second link wouldn't load for me).

Years
I have never heard of this "Miss Universe" contest, but some thoughts from reading the article.

If beauty is supposed to be subjective, then I'm confused on how these contests work. I'm getting similar thoughts as to when I watched a culinary contest. Taste is subjective so I wonder how someones cooking can be judged. It isn't like a vocal contest where some are clearly better singers. Then again you did mention her voice so maybe this is more of a talent contest?

That said, I'm happy for her and that she won of course. Yet wouldn't the other people who competed and lost be equally hurt? There are others who may have faced equal hardships and have had a less happy outcome in the contest, which leaves me conflicted as I started thinking about them. As with any contest, there are always going to be those who don't win. But I'm quite confused on the purpose of this contest specifically. In a singing contest such as American Idol the winner will be set up with a chance at a musical career. So I'm wondering if it's a similar situation for this. (The winner gets a chance at a fashion career or something similar).

So I looked up the reward, and it's a huge cash prize. From what I'm reading they don't keep the crown either. It's strange but unrelated. And it makes me wonder if these contests would be worth the feelings inflicted. When you lose a singing contest, life would carry on. You could even get better at your singing ability. But when you lose a beauty contest, wouldn't it be hurtful to be told you just don't look as good as the others? Looks are apart of somebody, which I think splits a beauty contest from other talent contests. During a beauty contest, the person themselves would be judged, not the person's individual talent. Again, if I'm mislead and this is a talent contest, then these thoughts are nullified.

On a smaller thought, reading that someone who was my age has been killed hits me on a much more personal level for some reason. Almost like a punch to the gut. I wonder if this happens for others.

I do not mean to create conflict in a celebration topic, these are simply the thoughts that formed as I scrolled through the article. (The second link wouldn't load for me).

It's interesting to hear your thoughts. I'm glad you posted, it gave me something to think about. Yes, beauty is a very subjective quality. Oftentimes the women I thought were the most interesting looking may not make it beyond the first round, but I don't get too invested in it, I just think it's interesting to see how it plays out.

Everyone is beautiful. Miss Universe, Miss World, Miss America and other similar contests are more about presentation these days ultimately than who is the prettiest. The judges are accessing things like if you look confident when you walk out on the stage, did you come up with a creative costume? I think it's probably harder than it looks, like being the most convincing actress. And yes, indeed there are actually talent portions where you compete against each other by singing or playing an instrument, ice skating. The most important part is the question and answer segment. Audiences want to know what you have been doing with your life, what causes you will contribute to if you are chosen to be Miss Universe, what your values are, you'll be asked questions about your current world events like censorship or your thoughts on violent protest, what solutions you would offer etc, and may have to answer in the language that is not your first. If you do badly on the questions you are not going to win, even if you're beautiful.

The contest is maybe best described as a search for a combination of good qualities that will make you an ideal role model for people all over the world. They are looking for someone attractive but also someone who is intelligent and well-spoken, dedicated, giving and likeable to be their ambassador.If you are chosen to be Miss Universe you become a spokespeople for a charitable endeavor, whether it's raising money for cancer research, schools, animal welfare, ending hunger.

I am sure that it's disappointing when you're not the winner, but if you are a Miss Universe contestant then you have been competing in contests like this for a long time, so you are going to have experience and discipline, and should be able to take a win or loss with maturity. You also going to be the holder of other titles, as you would have won the pagents locally and nationally before you even get to compete on an international stage. So you would have still been lucky enough to have won Miss New York, then Miss America and onward before being on the Miss Universe stage. In the process you are winning scholarship money, going on tours, being featured in the news, receiving job offers. So I think it's still an experience to be proud of ultimately, and it's not uncommon to make friends along the way with the other contestants as you spend a lot of time together, and that is something that I think also can make for a a worthwhile experience even if you aren't the #1 this time :)

Years
I loved this year's winner! She's stunning, elegant, and incredibly insightful! I think she'll be a fabulous role model for young girls, and I only wish her the best! Not only is she physically beautiful, but her beauty radiates from within, which is the most important thing.

I think that's what separates a winner from another pretty face. Outer beauty is important but it's the beauty of the heart that is the most captivating. It's kindness, humility, grace, and love. Sam is correct, it doesn't matter how physically appealing you may be, if you lack compassion, if you lack a heart, you won't go far in these types of competitions.

Last edited:

User Anon 1848

The title is a bit presumptuous. I'm sure there are some sexy aliens out there.

Back