• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DiscordApp says goodbye to Grandfathered Nitro plans

Years
On January 31st, 2020, grandfathered Nitro plans will be returned back to Nitro Classic plans. You'll continue to pay the same $4.99/month, and your Nitro perks will change from $9.99 Nitro Perks to Nitro Classic perks. In other words, that means you'll no longer have access to 2 included Boosts, Go Live stream capability will change from Source to 1080p 60fps, and upload size will change from 100MB to 50MB.

If you have active Boosts from your grandfathered plan these will deactivate after a three day grace period. As a Classic subscriber you'll continue to get 30% off any Boosts you purchase.

Your Early Supporter badge will stay, that's yours forever :)

One more thank you for your support: If you do want to upgrade to $9.99 Nitro between now and 1/31, we'll cover your upgrade cost, and your next month of Nitro is on us. You can upgrade via a notification bar in-client, or from the Subscriptions page in Settings. As always, we genuinely appreciate the support you've given us over the years, and we're always thinking of new ways to add to Nitro and Server Boosting. If you have any suggestions for Nitro, please let us know here.

One last note: If you were an annual Nitro sub before October 10th, 2018, you still have grandfathered access to $9.99 Nitro tier perks until Jan 1st, 2021.
Source.

Thoughts?

My nitro is grandfathered, and I'm pretty cross about having to pay $5 a month for basic features. :\ I wonder about how this is going to impact Discord in the long term.

Years
I don't have grandfathered nitro but quite upsetting for those that do. The perks on the 10/mo one.......really aren't worth it :x

Years
don't have nitro, and am not really inclined to get nitro. use of emotes across all server is nice and all, but i find it hard to justify $10/month just for that (which would be the only thing i'd be interested in).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Hasn't there been a warning on everyone's accounts since the second nitro tier went live? Idk why it's blindsiding everyone.

I'm on yearly, so my grandfathered nitro doesn't expire for another year, which is a relief, because I do agree that the current plans are ridiculous. With boosting, they at least added value to the higher tier, but it's still not enough to be worth it, imo. I boost PC's server but I don't think I actually make use of any of the other higher tier benefits, so I imagine next year I'll probably just drop down to the lower plan and it won't affect me much. So long as I get my crossposted emotes, I'm fine.

That said, if this is the best they can do to monetize after the flop that was their game store, I'm pretty worried for Discord's future. They're definitely bleeding money and their investors are gonna want it back sooner or later. I just don't really see how they can make it profitable, though.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
The higher cost tier does have the very increased upload limit, which I've had to use a few times, so the $10 tier is fine for me, and I make use of both my boosts, so I don't really want to part with those. I'm not worried about paying a little bit more tbh - considering I use it daily I don't mind supporting it a little, especially when other alternatives just don't hold up.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Seems reasonable tbh. The grandfathered people got a bit of appreciation from keeping their perks for lower price for a while, right?

For me, Classic is enough. I like the larger upload limit and global emoji too much to skip it alltogether, but full Nitro isn't worth it. I only had it temporarily before xmas to help boosting PC's server :3

Back