• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

PoisonEmeralds

Rookie ROM Hacker
Years
Will the 3DS cut off the audience?

Now we know the game is for the 3DS only, do you think this will cut down on the audience that can be targeted? The Pokemon games have always followed the trend of going onto a new handheld, but with the 3DS being the 'newest' console and some people not being able to afford it, do you think it will hurt the amount of people who can actually play the game?

Do you think that enough people have the 3DS? Do you think it is just how the games industry flows, going onto a new console? Do you think it is fair? What do you think of the lack of DS editions?
This thread had me chuckling to myself whilst facepalming these are all valid points... but I think it will boost 3DS sales rather than cripple.

Years
I work in a game store, and there are tons of 3ds out there. The only lack of success is because of the limited library. Now that they are getting some awesome game like pokemon it'll really take off. (also the ds when it came out was $200 and the 3ds is down to about $170 sh and was on sale for $130 over christmas)

Years
No way. I went out of my way to use my tax return today to pick up a 3ds XL. Definitely worth it because it is so nice. I can play all my other pokemon games(or any other ds games). And I am prepped for October. I really think people will take the same initiative and buy their 3ds ahead of time. SO excited for X and Y!

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2013
No.Why?Of the newer gen consoles,3DS is the cheapest one.In fact,the 3DS costs a bit more than a psp in my country (and when I bought it I paid only 200 euro for a bundle which included SFIV and a case,AND it was eligible for Ambassador,the same cost for a non-bundled wifi vita.Mind you,I found a bundle with LBP for the same price,but I had to buy some extras,whereas the 3DS was complete).As for games,the 3ds has a good lineup of games ,as opposed to the vita (hopefully 2013 will bring new life to the vita).The only minuses for me is 1.damned region lock,2.the games could use more juice from the 3DS (I am sure that games could use a bit more its resources with that battery life) and 3.Lack of second analog stick in even the XL version (wtf that circle pad thingie was only made to milk out more money,I'd trade in my vita for a 3ds xl if the xl version had it implemented)

As a final remark,the DS did not kill pokemon,so why would the 3DS do so?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Pokemon will make people buy the 3DS, and make it a popular console. Not that many people will be cut off, everyone is going to start buying 3DSes now and people have 9 months until X and Y are released(and it's not like they have to buy it then, they can always get a 3DS and it months or even years later if they want). But I wouldn't say that Pokemon isn't dying. Gold and Silver era was the peak of Pokemon's popularity and it's been going down rather fast since. 3DS won't add any more nails to the coffin though.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Pokemon will make people buy the 3DS, and make it a popular console. Not that many people will be cut off, everyone is going to start buying 3DSes now and people have 9 months until X and Y are released(and it's not like they have to buy it then, they can always get a 3DS and it months or even years later if they want). But I wouldn't say that Pokemon isn't dying. Gold and Silver era was the peak of Pokemon's popularity and it's been going down rather fast since. 3DS won't add any more nails to the coffin though.

I disagree, Pokemon has been getting much higher in quality since gold silver, remember, Black and White were the single most best selling Pokemon games both through preorder and after release, that's definitely a huge boost in popularity, Pokemon is in no way dying and shouldn't be considered as such.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
I disagree, Pokemon has been getting much higher in quality since gold silver, remember, Black and White were the single most best selling Pokemon games both through preorder and after release, that's definitely a huge boost in popularity, Pokemon is in no way dying and shouldn't be considered as such.

Gold and Silver sold much more than BW. No Pokemon game has sold as much as them, or even come near.

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Gold and Silver sold much more than BW. No Pokemon game has sold as much as them, or even come near.
[citation needed]

Actually R/B/Y have sold more than Gold and Silver (look it up), and really, we can't even use the argument that the old games sold more simply because Black & White 1 are still pretty fresh and still selling.

On topic: No, the 3DS =/= RIP Pokemon. If anything, it's a huge step in the right direction.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
[citation needed]

Actually R/B/Y have sold more than Gold and Silver (look it up), and really, we can't even use the argument that the old games sold more simply because Black & White 1 are still pretty fresh and still selling.

On topic: No, the 3DS =/= RIP Pokemon. If anything, it's a huge step in the right direction.
That's true, heck even HgSs are still being sold...

I beleive this step was necessary seeing how B2W2 practically went to the limits of the DS.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
[citation needed]

Actually yeah, I think I misread the Red/Blue numbers. How much did they sell again? Can't seem to find it anymore. But anyway, the number of sales IS much lower than G/S and R/B/Y nowadays, and at least where I live, none of the movies are in cinemas anymore(the last one that was in the cinemas was during G/S/C era, I think). I think Pokemon is nowhere near dying yet, but the numbers of sales is definitely lower than they used to be and I think that they'll just keep dropping.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Actually yeah, I think I misread the Red/Blue numbers. How much did they sell again? Can't seem to find it anymore. But anyway, the number of sales IS much lower than G/S and R/B/Y nowadays, and at least where I live, none of the movies are in cinemas anymore(the last one that was in the cinemas was during G/S/C era, I think). I think Pokemon is nowhere near dying yet, but the numbers of sales is definitely lower than they used to be and I think that they'll just keep dropping.

Not really, the lowest sales were 3rd gen then DPPt picked it up and 5th gen is selling very well.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Not really, the lowest sales were 3rd gen then DPPt picked it up and 5th gen is selling very well.
Speaking of gen III many blamed the low success of the Advance system on it's low sales, not sure how much of that is true, hopefully gen VI won't be the same. Though in Gen III's defense the Hoenn games were in the top three best selling games of the system if irc, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad if XY could surpass the sales of Kh3D, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, etc. at the very least.

EvilTotodile

We're Evil
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2021
i think that rather than having less people playing X and Y, we are gonna hve more people who haven't gotten a 3ds yet buying one, do the 3ds sales will most likely go up

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford a 3DS around the time that X/Y come out. Being a junior in high school, I have more important things to be saving my money for like a car and college. Although I know I'll end up buying one because I NEED X/Y, it won't be for awhile and by then gens 7,8...12 will have probably come out already. Oh well *le exasperated sigh*

Years
Well I bought a DS just to play Black/White, and I got my 3DS repaired after the top screen cracked after hearing X/Y was being released.

Pokemon is arguably the biggest handheld seller the system has. If people need more convincing there are a fantastic selection of games, both already available, and soon to come.

I expect big things from the 3DS and thus in Pokemon in general. It's acually quite affordable when it's all said and done.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022

R/B/Y sold almost a million more though Gold and Silver is clearly 2nd place.

This is true. Gen 3 main series games sold about 19~ million (not including FRLG), and Gen 4 main series games (not including HGSS) sold about 24-25~ million.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I doubt it will kill Pokemon. We've already had 9 main series games on the DS and another for the DS would be likely to kill it, imo. I plan to get a 3DS solely for X&Y. I got my DS for Pokemon only, and the same will go for the 3DS. I think if anything, the 3DS will spike in sales with the addition of X&Y. I think it's about time we got a main series game for the 3DS. After all, new 3DS models are sold packaged with B2W2 at stores right now. And I think the price has gone down sufficiently on 3DS models. I was concerned at first when the price was high, but now GameStop has them on sale for only $149 (temporarily) with the regular price of the 3DS XL at $199. Very affordable, in my opinion. Of course, I want a new system IMMEDIATELY, so as soon as I can afford it, I'll probably pick up an XL with a game or two just to pass time until October :P

Guy

just a guy
Years
It didn't help that the Gameboy Advance wasn't as well received to begin with.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford a 3DS around the time that X/Y come out. Being a junior in high school, I have more important things to be saving my money for like a car and college. Although I know I'll end up buying one because I NEED X/Y, it won't be for awhile and by then gens 7,8...12 will have probably come out already. Oh well *le exasperated sigh*
This is what birthdays and Christmas are for!

You can always ask for a 3DS and Pokémon X (or Y, whichever you prefer) as a birthday gift or Christmas present. While you have to save your money for more important reasons, it doesn't mean someone else couldn't buy it for you as a gift.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Waaaay back in the day, I got my GBC for Pokémon only. This time, though, I'm getting my 3DS for Pokémon as well as other games. The 3DS is looking pretty good with regards to games.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Just going by 3DS sales figures, let me just say that it doesn't look good. The problem with the system is a lack of good games (Along with Nintendo's disinterest in innovating, I mean, another "New Super Mario Bros." game?) coupled with a battery life that is just plain atrocious. I mean, the system is selling poorly, most people I know who own them, including myself, rarely, if ever, play them, and honestly, it's really not a great system.

So unless the new games are genuinely the best damn Pokemon games made, it doesn't look good for 'em.

Back