• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen May 9, 2010
On the site where I got my ROM they also included a link to a patch in executable form that apparently makes the game work
(I haven't got far enough to need this).
I've included an attachment, see if it works.

And if you're using an emulator, get the NDS firmware and BIOS, activate them in the settings, and use the other attachment to encrypt your ROM before playing.
(I had done that and got past the Oak Intro.)

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2023
I Found the file with the evolution information on Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver(Soul Silver not Confirmed), the one that is called evo.narc on Pokemon Platinum.
The file is located on the follow path: a/0/3/4.
4 is the file.
I use Nitro Explorer 2b.
The method of hacking the evolution seems to be semiliar to Pokemon Platinum but i will check that better.

More Info:

HG & SS – File (With "NitroExplorer2b.exe"): a/0/3/4(4 is the file)

HG & SS – File Offset on "Crystal Title2 Hex Editor(I opened the Rom)" : 029F3400

Pointer (Offset) to Bulbasaur(First Evo)(Only File of the evolutions): 00001040

Pointer (Offset) to Bulbasaur(First Evo)(Rom): 029F4440

EDIT:

IT WORKS.
I change the code to make my Cindaquil evolve to Quilava at level 6 and he did it.
If anyone want to know more please contact me

Last edited:

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Erm.. of course the evolution structure is the same.. I don't think new evolution types were added so..

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
WELL. This thread could have been useful today.

My site is named Veekun. I'm just Eevee.

I found the trainers entirely by accident and pulled them while I was in the neighborhood. There are second frames for some trainers: http://stuff.veekun.com/hgss-trainers.tar.gz. I don't think there are any other frames; the only other files in that archive were a sheet of overworld sprites, a NCER, and a NANR per trainer.

Still hunting for Pokémon overworld sprites. Admittedly I'm hardly an expert and slogging through with hand-rolled tools, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone beat me to the punch.

The sequential filename thing is incredibly annoying.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2023
Erm.. of course the evolution structure is the same.. I don't think new evolution types were added so..

You are rigth but i think that as they change the file structure, the maybe change the way that the files works.

Swampert 22

Is making tools for you...
Years
Hey guys, look what just popped out of my copy of visual basic!

hgssgym.png

Hop over to my thread quick!!!! lol :P

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
To clarify on the different file system, it looks like a (rather lame and futile) attempt at making it harder for people browsing through to find stuff. I wanted to browse with tahaxan so I unpacked the ROM, gave all the files in the /a/ directory .narc extensions, and repacked. Obviously the ROM won't play anymore but it makes the process of browsing through the files (especially for graphics) much quicker and easier.

Also, it looks like the majority of the stuff stored outside of the /a/ directory is old DPPt stuff kept for whatever reason. Sure most of you figured that out by now though...

I have been able to recognize a ton of narcs that are basically the same as their named counterparts in DPPt. I'll probably try to get together a list of what each narc file contains to making browsing/editing easier.

EDIT: OH, and SCV has found all the overworlds. Last I checked he was just preparing some pages on PP.org to put them on.

Last edited:

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
How i can open extraced files from NitroExplorer?

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
To clarify on the different file system, it looks like a (rather lame and futile) attempt at making it harder for people browsing through to find stuff. I wanted to browse with tahaxan so I unpacked the ROM, gave all the files in the /a/ directory .narc extensions, and repacked. Obviously the ROM won't play anymore but it makes the process of browsing through the files (especially for graphics) much quicker and easier.
You also could've written a simple plugin you know.. that handles those files as NARC files.

Potatomuffin

The One And ONLY!!!
Years
Hey guys! I'm back! remember me? Its great to see all of you guys in one place together again! By the way, I'm the guy who map/sprite/texture hacked diamond and platinum! my diamond hacking videos are in my sig! By the way, is the Japanese rom out yet? I'll bet I can hack that to!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I downloaded the ROM on Friday, however I used the walk anywhere code... and what I found out was that HG/SS was not edited from Platinum, it was basically started right from the beginning.
It is no wonder why all the 3D objects were enhanced. Which also means the emulation is a bit harder, since this time a lot of the free space was used up during development.
So things are way much more different, but the map layout is exactly the same as it was in D/P/Pt. The same with the music too.

All I can just hope for is a 4th Generation Map Layout editor. In which can edit the 3D objects.

I have a question, how come isn't anyone making a 3D Map editor for the 4th generation? I know it is possible, nothing in this matter is impossible.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
You also could've written a simple plugin you know.. that handles those files as NARC files.
I haven't ever looked into making tahaxan plugins, maybe I should... On the plus side I doubt it would've saved me more than a few minutes since I batch renamed the narcs anyway.

I've identified all narcs that are identical to those found in (japanese) Platinum and made a list below. I also added some things that I have found along with a few items from this thread. NARCs that remain unchanged from platinum are indicated with a *. Note that just because a platinum narc is in the /a/ directory does not mean it is actually used. For instance D-Trogh noticed that the pokemon icons were in 2/2/8, but the new ones are actually in 0/1/8.

/a/0/
Code:
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-growtbl*
        4-pokemon battle sprites
        5-
        6-trainer backsprites
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-script
        3-scr_msg*
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-item icons
        9-
        0-pokemon icons
        1-
        2-wechar*
        3-wepltt*
        4-wecell*
        5-wecellanim*
        6-imageclip*
        7-message file
        8-underg_radar*
        9-
        0-
        1-namein*
        2-
        3-
        4-evo*
        5-fontoam*
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-pst_gra*
        0-bm_field*
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-ugeffect_obj_graphic*
        6-start screen graphics
        7-
        8-ug_trap*
        9-
        0-ug_fossil*
        1-ntag_gra*
        2-tradelist*
        3-ug_parts*
        4-opening*
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-ug_anim*
        3-weather_sys*
        4-
        5-
        6-nuts_data*
        7-
        8-
        9-pokefoot*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-oekaki*
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-fld_comact*
        4-
        5-
        6-contest_data*
        7-
        8-wifip2pmatch*
        9-demo_trade*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-field_cutin*
        4-demo_climax*
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
/a/1/
Code:
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-vs_demo_gra*
        5-pokezukan*
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-pokeanm*
        2-
        3-
        4-alt form sprites
        5-egg_data*
        6-egg_demo_particle*
        7-
        8-
        9-shinka_demo_particle*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-wifi_earth*
        4-ranking*
        5-ppark*
        6-
        7-
        8-btdtr*
        9-btdpm*
        0-
        1-
        2-poke_yofs*
        3-
        4-
        5-poke_shadow*
        6-
        7-poke_shadow_ofx*
        8-
        9-fldtanime*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-bm_room*
        9-
        0-area graphics
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-d_test*
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-pl_cb_data*
        6-wifi_unionobj*
        7-guru2*
        8-frontier_particle*
        9-bucket*
        0-codein_gra*
        1-
        2-worldtimer*
        3-manene*
        4-dp_height*
        5-dp_height_o*
        6-lobby_news*
        7-email_gra*
        8-wlmngm_tool*
        9-balloon_gra*
/a/2/
Code:
        0-wflby_map*
        1-wifi_lobby*
        2-pl_btdtr*
        3-pl_btdpm*
        4-pl_bsdpm*
        5-
        6-pokelist_particle*
        7-wifi_lobby_other*
        8-footprint_board*
        9-zukan_enc_platinum*
        0-ballslow_data*
        1-pl_etc_particle*
        2-pms_aikotoba*
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-poke_icon*
        9-kowaza*
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-
        3-
        4-
        5-
        6-
        7-
        8-
        9-
        0-
        1-
        2-intro graphics
        3-

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
Documentation is awesome.

/a/0/1/5 contains the D/P/Pt bag and some other stuff
/a/0/3/9 has the tabs from the D/P/Pt (and HG/SS?) Pokémon summary screen
/a/0/4/9 contains an animation of the Zephyr Badge rotating?
/a/0/5/8 contains the trainers from the front
/a/0/6/4 contains the icons on the D/P menu, both above and under ground
/a/0/7/1 contains an HP gauge, so probably the rest is in-battle stuff. Whether it's DP/Pt or HG/SS, I have no idea.
/a/1/0/9 contains battle transitions: the Galaxy logo, the Rocket logo, the VS image, various gym leader headshots
/a/1/2/0 contains Oak, Oak's Marril, full-size shots of Gold and Kotone, and animations for them shrinking to game-size
/a/1/2/2 is probably the D/P ending; has the D/P trainers riding bikes.
/a/1/2/6 has big tilesets for.. a Charizard.. some leaf patterns..
/a/1/2/7 has a Smeargle from behind, LCD numbers, and a little vertical strip of "Replay", Pikachu, Marill, a Pokéball, etc. I assume this is game corner stuff
/a/1/4/2-9 are all tilesets.
/a/1/5/5 has some Japanese text and a logo on fire
/a/1/7/9 contains overworld people sprites, as well as the overworld Pokémon from DP/Pt and some overworld items like boulders and the ice/moss rocks

And after that my ripper died a miserable death because I can't figure out how to get the correct sizes of sprites.

Incidentally, where on earth are the overworld Pokémon, level-up moves, and encounters?
Addendum: Moves look to be /a/0/3/3. /a/2/4/8 is in a format I don't recognize at all, but there are the same number of files as in poke_icon.

Last edited:

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
Incidentally, where on earth are the overworld Pokémon, level-up moves, and encounters?
Addendum: Moves look to be /a/0/3/3. /a/2/4/8 is in a format I don't recognize at all, but there are the same number of files as in poke_icon.
What do you mean by overworld pokemon? Their sprites or do you mean the event files that say which overworld sprites show up?

Moves are indeed in /a/0/3/3. The data for the moves themselves is in /a/0/1/1 don't know if anyone has checked for changes.

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
Overworld sprites.

Still at a loss for encounters. Format must have changed considerably.

Back