The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

View Poll Results: Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 27th, 2013 (2:41 PM).
la justice

Nature: Timid
I think it would too! And it would be pretty difficult. You should post it and see how it works out. :) If you're gonna do that though, make sure you read over the rules and the FAQ. And if you have any questions, you can ask me and I'll help to the best of my abilities.

some princes don't become kings.
Old November 27th, 2013 (2:50 PM).

Nature: Quirky
    I have, and I know I would need to sign up for it myself (Seems to be the biggest problem in the rejected challenges spot)

I think I might try it a bit and see how it turns out before I suggest it as a challenge. I foresee a few problems starting out:

1) Starting the challenge
    Basically, you need to get those abilities to begin with. These aren't exactly the most common of techniques.

2) Difficulty
    At least for the indirect challenge, the majority of the techniques have low power. You would need to powerlevel quite a bit in order to survive while whittling down your opponents health

3) Lack of Variety.
    I think it might turn people off to have to choose from such a limited set of moves/pokemon.
    Old November 27th, 2013 (2:57 PM).
    la justice

Quote:
    I have, and I know I would need to sign up for it myself (Seems to be the biggest problem in the rejected challenges spot)

I think I might try it a bit and see how it turns out before I suggest it as a challenge. I foresee a few problems starting out:

1) Starting the challenge
    Basically, you need to get those abilities to begin with. These aren't exactly the most common of techniques.

2) Difficulty
    At least for the indirect challenge, the majority of the techniques have low power. You would need to powerlevel quite a bit in order to survive while whittling down your opponents health

3) Lack of Variety.
    I think it might turn people off to have to choose from such a limited set of moves/pokemon.
    Ohhh yeah. It's a shame to see some really good stuff, and they're missing their sign up. Though now, you can view your threads waiting for approval and if you see you missed adding your sign up, I think you can edit it now. But if not, that's okay too, because you can PM me and let me know if you forgot your sign up. Lots of people do it and are honest about it.

Gonna pitch some suggestions for the problems...

1. Have a cut off time to get them ready. Say, by the 3rd gym, you should have at least 2 or 3 party members with at least 3/4 of their moves doing indirect damage. The one that does damage is not to be used and should eventually be replaced, of course.

2. I'm misunderstanding that one.

3. I think it would depend on the game. That being said, it's kind of a pick your poison challenge, cause if you pick a game with low variety, then that's your own fault.

Old November 27th, 2013 (3:02 PM).

As far as number two goes, its more... well, think about it. Any moves such as fire spin don't really do much damage on the turn it is used, its more the DoT affect that does the damage. That being said, you have to survive being hit by your opponent while they slowly die from the DoTs you are using (In the case of weather, techniques like wrap, poison, and leech seed)

The only high damaging attack I can honestly think of would be Future Sight, and even then you have to wait a few turns for it to hit, so you have to survive being hit while your attack goes through.
      Old November 28th, 2013 (11:30 PM).
      Novice Geek

what if when your pokemon faints, instead of releasing it like in a nuzlocke , you trade it off on Wonder Trade and use that pokemon instead?
        Old November 29th, 2013 (1:24 PM).
        Monocolorist

Nature: Quiet
          As far as Dr. Rose`s challenge idea goes, I can see at least some of the issue of a limited Pokemon pool is alleviated by the fact that literally anything can learn Toxic. The way I see it Toxic would be one of the most powerful moves in this kind of challenge.

If you end up doing it, I`ll totally sign up, seems super intriguing.
          Old November 29th, 2013 (2:59 PM).

I was thinking of a challenge where people can only use pokemon from in-game trades and must solo the game with their starter untill they get one. I'd do it but I have an extremely difficult pichu solo run AND a nuzlocke on my hands so yea
            Pichu Solo Run (post-game)
            Budew Solo Run
            Azurill Solo Run
            friend safari: Bug (Paras, Vivilion, Masquerain) FC 2621-2615-8242
            Old November 29th, 2013 (3:16 PM).
            Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU

Nature: Sassy
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Xulek View Post
              Regarding the Sailor Moon Challenge would it be okay to use a Mamoswine if I went the Sailor Neptune route since the sheet said I could use Ice types but it only fits under full evolutions at best.

Yes, Mamoswine is okay (or Piloswine if 2nd gen). Mamoswine can also count as a member of Uranus (since its part ground).

Current Challenge(s):

PokePhobia Halloween Challenge - Soul Silver

Current Challenges on hold:

Complete Challenges:
              Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
              Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
              Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
              Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
              Old November 30th, 2013 (4:36 AM).

I would like to revive the no catching challenge. Since the other threads are so old, I would like to start a new one. I just bought pokemon y, since I don't want to restart my completed pokemon x.

Basically the rules are going to be:
                - No catching (any pokemon you use most be received from a person, obtained from a fossil etc.)
                - No event pokemon (including torchic)
                - No store purchases, you can use the items you find, receive and buy from people on the street and in the power plant, the vending machine etc.
                - No trading pokemon

Please feel free to make some suggestions to make this harder/more fun. I would like to use exp share since you get a lot of the pokemon at lower level then your starter will be, and I would not like to exclude the use of pokemon centers or limit items even more.

Pokemon you get (known to me that is)
                Starter (chespin, froakie or fennekin)
                2nd starter (charmander, bulbasaur or squirtle)
                fossilized pokemon; jaw fossil (tyrunt) or the sail fossil (Amaura)
                Lucario (at the mega evolution event in the game)
                Lapras (from the worker standing right outside the connecting gate after you've just gotten surf and before you can hit the water).

Are there any other gift pokemon I missed outside of event pokemon? If I get the ok from the mod, I will post the challenge and my own progress in a challenge thread.
                Old November 30th, 2013 (6:33 AM).

I think you should make the "no store items" optional. that can get hard.
                  Budew Solo Run
                  Azurill Solo Run
                  Old November 30th, 2013 (6:59 AM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Natnew View Post
                    I think you should make the "no store items" optional. that can get hard.
                    true, but that is the point of a challenge. You find a hell of a lot of items you need including paralyze, burn,ice heal, antidote, awakening, full heal and a lot of potions. You can buy super potion equivelants from this girl on the street by the dozen and later on higher hp restoring items as well. plus poison doesnt do step damage in this game anymore, only if you use the pokemon that is poisoned during fights.

Plus you get revives, max revives and full restores from the helpers of Sycamore.

I am thinking of making not using O-powers on your own pokemon optional.
                    Old November 30th, 2013 (5:15 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Huggermugger View Post
                      As far as Dr. Rose`s challenge idea goes, I can see at least some of the issue of a limited Pokemon pool is alleviated by the fact that literally anything can learn Toxic. The way I see it Toxic would be one of the most powerful moves in this kind of challenge.

If you end up doing it, I`ll totally sign up, seems super intriguing.

I think I'm going to. Give me a week or so to get things straightened out, get a helper list of some sort of all the techniques I can think of that would be viable for the challenge, and make sure something is available early enough in each generation to do it.

I agree with Toxic being the catch-all in the challenge, you just need to get around poison/steel types with that one.
                      Old December 2nd, 2013 (10:45 AM).

Hey guys I was just wondering what would you think about a challange where you can't pick which move the pokemon uses. The pokemon has 4 moves you use a random number generator or draw a card , roll a dice or anything that could randomly decide between the 4 moves that the pokemon has. This would force you to have a moveset in which every move is effective. I'm thinking about this mainly because i loved battle palace in emerald and I wanted to incorporate it into the rest of the game

short version:
                        challange where you randomly pick which moves you use
                        Old December 2nd, 2013 (12:25 PM).
                        I AM THE REAL SONIC

Nature: Adamant
                        I lost my bag of games guys! I don't know what to do... So much time and money in such a small bag. Pretty much means I won't be able to do much Challenging until I can either find or replace what I lost. I really hate my life right now.
                        Old December 2nd, 2013 (12:31 PM).
                        la justice

Quote:
                        Hey guys I was just wondering what would you think about a challange where you can't pick which move the pokemon uses. The pokemon has 4 moves you use a random number generator or draw a card , roll a dice or anything that could randomly decide between the 4 moves that the pokemon has. This would force you to have a moveset in which every move is effective. I'm thinking about this mainly because i loved battle palace in emerald and I wanted to incorporate it into the rest of the game
                        Sounds neat! Not something ideal for if you're always on the go though, since you may not have a way to access an RNG or something right then. But I think it could work. :o

Quote:
                        I lost my bag of games guys! I don't know what to do... So much time and money in such a small bag. Pretty much means I won't be able to do much Challenging until I can either find or replace what I lost. I really hate my life right now.
                        I'm so sorry! :( -loans you my extras- I really hope it turns up somewhere.

Old December 3rd, 2013 (11:00 AM).

Could a mod please give me feedback on my challenge that is awaiting approval? I also wish to add that it is possible to get a 6th member in the challenge by adding a fossilized pokemon found in the smashable rocks. (including old amber for aerodactyl)
                          Old December 3rd, 2013 (12:31 PM).
                          la justice

Quote:
                          Could a mod please give me feedback on my challenge that is awaiting approval? I also wish to add that it is possible to get a 6th member in the challenge by adding a fossilized pokemon found in the smashable rocks. (including old amber for aerodactyl)
                          I'm about to check them. Next time, you're free to PM me if your challenge has been waiting for at least 24 hours. I'm the only mod, so it's easier to message me than posting in this thread, otherwise I might not see it.

Old December 3rd, 2013 (1:43 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
                            I'm about to check them. Next time, you're free to PM me if your challenge has been waiting for at least 24 hours. I'm the only mod, so it's easier to message me than posting in this thread, otherwise I might not see it.
                            Thnx, I was hoping to run it together with maybe a few people. I just got so far ahead that I just feel like people wouldnt get interested in running this since there are so many alternative populair runs. Anyway, I feel I got most of the stuff in the post that I wanted to share so I'm still pretty happy with it now.

And I will send a PM in the future.
                            Old December 3rd, 2013 (2:10 PM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Zappaman View Post

short version:
                              challange where you randomly pick which moves you use
                              I do agree with Sydian regarding the on-the-go difficulty, in addition to the fact that it would become extraordinarily tedious to re-randomize every move you make.

... I would be rather amused seeing that in combination with the Delta Species Challenge though.

~Rose
                              Old December 4th, 2013 (4:06 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
                                Ok, still not sure if this is the right place to put this, so I'm just going to do it.

This is an urgent message for anyone who is experienced with running a challenge and/or wants to become a challenge owner.

I am willing to give away one of my threads, the Hunger Games Challenge, to someone else who has the time and willpower to manage it, because I only have enough of those for one. A quick link to the challenge is in my signature, if you would like to view it. PM me if you are interested, but if I don't get a reply by around Christmas, I'm just going to scrap it. If you want it, also realize that this challenge is not one of the popular challenges, so don't get frustrated if no one posts.

If this is in the wrong spot, someone please direct me to the right spot.
                                Old December 4th, 2013 (8:24 AM).
                                I AM THE REAL SONIC

Nature: Adamant
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Samurott01 View Post
                                Ok, still not sure if this is the right place to put this, so I'm just going to do it.

This is an urgent message for anyone who is experienced with running a challenge and/or wants to become a challenge owner.

I am willing to give away one of my threads, the Hunger Games Challenge, to someone else who has the time and willpower to manage it, because I only have enough of those for one. A quick link to the challenge is in my signature, if you would like to view it. PM me if you are interested, but if I don't get a reply by around Christmas, I'm just going to scrap it. If you want it, also realize that this challenge is not one of the popular challenges, so don't get frustrated if no one posts.

I'm fairly certain this is the right spot. It's really for Syd to say, but this is the only thread we have for just talking. Sadly I know nothing about the Hunger Games, so I can't help you.
                                Old December 4th, 2013 (12:16 PM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by PKMNtrainer X View Post
                                  true, but that is the point of a challenge. You find a hell of a lot of items you need including paralyze, burn,ice heal, antidote, awakening, full heal and a lot of potions. You can buy super potion equivelants from this girl on the street by the dozen and later on higher hp restoring items as well. plus poison doesnt do step damage in this game anymore, only if you use the pokemon that is poisoned during fights.

Plus you get revives, max revives and full restores from the helpers of Sycamore.

I am thinking of making not using O-powers on your own pokemon optional.
                                  I didn't know you were referring to X and Y only... it wasn't clear
                                  Budew Solo Run
                                  Azurill Solo Run
                                  Old December 4th, 2013 (6:37 PM).
                                  Legit Boss

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Samurott01 View Post

I'm willing to own it for the sake of other people wanting to do the challenge later on.
                                  Old December 4th, 2013 (7:39 PM).
                                  la justice

I'm really into Hunger Games right now, and was thinking of making a Hunger Games challenge, but remembered we already had one. I was thinking of looking through and maybe revamping it to hopefully raise its popularity. But idk what game I would participate on. I have open gen V games, I think. But yeah, if no one else wants it, I'll probably scoop it up, if you don't mind me changing some things around.

Old December 4th, 2013 (8:10 PM).
                                  Legit Boss

Ohhh, Syd got some revamp ideas on the Hunger Games challenge? I'd love to see this :)

Quick Reply