• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon ObsidianBlack & PewterWhite (Beta 3.0 available!)

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
seems great hack... mind if I transfer?
I honestly have no idea what you mean by "transfer". What do you want to do exactly? Use it as base, put it on some other site, is it something like that? Those are the first things that come to mind.

By the way, everybody, next Beta is chugging along nicely. Hoping to get a release by the start of February.

Years
Hello, mr. Telinc1.

I have tried your hack earlier today and got to the first cave entrance (can't remember the name, but its close to the place where I got Magikarp). After tens of minutes of gameplay, I have to point out some things.

First of all, the areas seems somehow empty. There is a lot of free space everywhere. Maybe it would fit better to place some objects there, for example houses, people, interactable objects, etc. I know that other people can see it differently, but after playing Pokemon Gaia, my expectations for maps are little bit higher xD.

Second thing, not necessarily a bad thing, rather weird (and not logical to me) is that in first few areas, the wild pokemon are on higher level than trainer pokemon. The players can just catch a wild, untrained pokemon and beat the crap out of trainers around, maybe even the first gym leader.
Yeah, I was kinda surprised when I ran with level 6 Mild Charmander into level 7 wild Ratatta with beneficial nature, who killed me with one critical (never lucky) xD.

I will continue with your game in the near future and then tell you my further opinions.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Hello, mr. Telinc1.

I have tried your hack earlier today and got to the first cave entrance (can't remember the name, but its close to the place where I got Magikarp). After tens of minutes of gameplay, I have to point out some things.

First of all, the areas seems somehow empty. There is a lot of free space everywhere. Maybe it would fit better to place some objects there, for example houses, people, interactable objects, etc. I know that other people can see it differently, but after playing Pokemon Gaia, my expectations for maps are little bit higher xD.

Second thing, not necessarily a bad thing, rather weird (and not logical to me) is that in first few areas, the wild pokemon are on higher level than trainer pokemon. The players can just catch a wild, untrained pokemon and beat the crap out of trainers around, maybe even the first gym leader.
Yeah, I was kinda surprised when I ran with level 6 Mild Charmander into level 7 wild Ratatta with beneficial nature, who killed me with one critical (never lucky) xD.

I will continue with your game in the near future and then tell you my further opinions.
Thanks for the advice!
I really do admit I'm not that good at making maps. I do my best, and I try to improve older maps in newer versions. As for the level curve, I've always hated how you need to grind for 30 minutes when you catch something new, though I really wasn't that good at balancing everything back then. The level curve really does get a bit better and smoother later on in the game. I don't want to change it too much (Beta 3.0 is supposed to make it a bit better), as then it would mess with the game later. Yeah, noob me really messed the first 1 or 2 gyms up a bit.
By the way, the Earth Tower is hell. Something else which will get balanced in Beta 3.0, which should come out by 2-3 February if all's good.

P.S.: I'd love to answer any questions you might have. Thanks for playing!

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I haven't played it and only looked at screenshots, but for this screenshot:

MPjAVal.png

You should probably make new tiles or find something better to use than stairs because it looks pretty wrong if you ask me. Or just make it a straight path.
If you want your hack to be polished you should probably want to get rid of mapping errors like that one. :p

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
how many gyms are there at the moment?
5 as of Beta 2.0. Beta 3.0 will have 6 gyms and it'll come out at the beginning of February.

I haven't played it and only looked at screenshots, but for this screenshot:

MPjAVal.png

You should probably make new tiles or find something better to use than stairs because it looks pretty wrong if you ask me. Or just make it a straight path.
If you want your hack to be polished you should probably want to get rid of mapping errors like that one. :p
Those are not stairs, it's a bridge. Emerald uses the same kind of tile for it IIRC, but I may make it a straight path (it would look empty tho). Otherwise, I can't make anything new, I absolutely suck at pixel art.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I know it's supposed to be a bridge, but this is the stairs tile.

If you would like an example, this is the Victory Road in Emerald:
Spoiler:

It does use the same stairs tile, but there are actual bridge tiles. Unfortunately it seems the only bridge tiles in the caves are horizontal bridges, while you're trying to make a vertical one.

If making tiles from scratch is the problem, fortunately there is a vertical bridge using the same style in Emerald (Route 114):
Spoiler:

Should be able to rip the tiles from Emerald and insert them into FireRed. I don't really know much about tileset hacking so I don't know how feasible it would be to add new tiles to a tileset (or how difficult it would be to rip/insert tiles), but if it can be done I think it'd help it look a lot better.

And yeah I like the idea of having a bridge there rather than a straight path, I agree it'd look empty.

Last edited:

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I know it's supposed to be a bridge, but this is the stairs tile.

If you would like an example, this is the Victory Road in Emerald:
Spoiler:

It does use the same stairs tile, but there are actual bridge tiles. Unfortunately it seems the only bridge tiles in the caves are horizontal bridges, while you're trying to make a vertical one.

If making tiles from scratch is the problem, fortunately there is a vertical bridge using the same style in Emerald (Route 114):
Spoiler:

Should be able to rip the tiles from Emerald and insert them into FireRed. I don't really know much about tileset hacking so I don't know how feasible it would be to add new tiles to a tileset (or how difficult it would be to rip/insert tiles), but if it can be done I think it'd help it look a lot better.

And yeah I like the idea of having a bridge there rather than a straight path, I agree it'd look empty.
Right, thanks! I'll make sure to add that in for the next version.
Edit: To answer the last statement, it will take about 5 minutes to rip the tiles and insert them, so no problem.

It looks absolutely fantastic... The man who at one time owned land in vermillion city made me chuckle.
Thanks! I'll be happy to hear more feedback.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 26, 2016
I downloaded it, but I can't get it open. It says no images found and then tells me the file is unsupported. What should I do?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
I downloaded it, but I can't get it open. It says no images found and then tells me the file is unsupported. What should I do?

You're probably trying to open one of the patches directly. The download doesn't come with playable ROM files, but rather with three different kinds of patches (IPS, APS and BPS). Those are not directly playable. What you have to do is download a patching program (Floating IPS for the IPS patch, HackMew's patcher for the APS and tsukoyumi for the BPS, pretty sure FLIPS can patch those those too. Iy's up to your preference to pick which format to use, they're the same. You'll also need a clen FireRed ROM. That I can't link you to, as ROMs aren't exactly the most legal thing. After you find a ROM, pick the patch you want to use and download the appropriate patcher for it, open it up and click on "Apply Patch". Then, you're ready to go.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Hi, I played your hack a few weeks ago, and I have a question -
In the last floor of the hospital, there is a buttom, that says that something happaned when you press it. I looked everywhere and talked to everyone in the city, but I couldnt find what and where. What did I miss?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Hi, I played your hack a few weeks ago, and I have a question -
In the last floor of the hospital, there is a buttom, that says that something happaned when you press it. I looked everywhere and talked to everyone in the city, but I couldnt find what and where. What did I miss?

Okay, wow, I never thought anyone would take that so seriously. It's an easter egg, if you press the button ten times, you get Totaka's song. Actually, if you take one step, it resets the variable used for it.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Well, after nearly 7 months of development, Beta 3.0 of the hacks is finally out! You can see the changes and download it in the main post. Have fun!

Years
Hey, great hack

btw. I have a question: After I beat Giovanni in TR Headquarter, Alice came and I read the letter.
But I don't know where I should go next

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Hey, great hack

btw. I have a question: After I beat Giovanni in TR Headquarter, Alice came and I read the letter.
But I don't know where I should go next
Thanks!
Red said that the Wailord made a giant hole in the forest: go to the northwest part of Bourghton Village. You should find a big opening. That's where you go.

Back