• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
Years
A Light type that was strong against Dark would add one weakness to pretty much all Dark-types in the game, it would make things way unbalanced since Pokémon like Tyranitar, Weavile and Krookodile, which already have tons of weaknesses, would gain one more and become harder to use effectively. There's no need to nerf the Dark-type, it's already tough to use effectively because 5th gen introduced many powerful Fighting-types as well as an ability which blocks Dark-type moves (Justified). Weakness against Fighting would make Fighting-types even more powerful than they are. It would break the game.

Well then, the solution to that is to introduce fewer Fighting-types in X and Y, or to include more powerful Dark-type Pokemon, perhaps with Psychic or Flying attacks (a Psychic/Dark-type would be awesome) to counter those Fighting types.

Anyway, if there are new types introduced, I'm betting they'd be the Light and Sound types. Mainly because of Xerneas and Yveltal, which seem like they'd match those types perfectly. I can totally see Xerneas being Light-type and Yveltal being Sound-type.

And it's not just Pokemon that could be Light or Sound-type... there are quite a few techniques that would be a perfect fit for those two types:
Light: Morning Sun, Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Flash... New attacks could implement other bright light flashes, and also laser beams. What type would laser beams fit into otherwise, after all?
Sound: Supersonic, Sonicboom, Echoed Voice, Hyper Voice, Screech, Sing... Anything music-related would fall into this type... it just seems odd to make them Normal-type.

I think the Cosmic-type would not be necessary because it seems like a division of the Psychic-type. Especially given a connection between psychic powers and astrology... there's a reason why Cosmic Power is Psychic-type. Moon-related attacks could fall into either the Psychic or the Dark-type depending on their specific attributes. And besides, the Psychic-type is kind of underrepresented nowadays anyway, despite the number of Psychic-types that were introduced in Black/White.

Also, what needs to change regarding type effectiveness is A) something else Poison attacks should be super-effective against, and B) a difference between the strengths of Ghost and Dark attacks. They're both super-effective against Ghost and Psychic types and nothing else, therefore making it silly to have a Ghost-type with a Dark attack or vice-versa due to lack of STAB despite same type coverage, unless you're dealing with Meditite or Girafarig or the three Musketeers.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Ah! That reminds me. When Pokémon Gold/Silver introduced Dark-type and Steel-type, there wern't many Pokémon that actually got these new types in Generation II. There were no old moves that became Steel-type, as every Steel-type move was completely new to Generation II, but the only Generation I Pokémon that adapted the Steel-type were Magnemite and Magneton. As for the Dark-type, it had no old Generation I Pokémon that got that new type, only the move Bite changed from Normal-type to Dark-type. And the only Generation II Pokémon that actually got the Dark-type were Umbreon, Murkrow, Sneasel, Houndour, Houndoom and Tyranitar. As for Steel-types for Johto Pokémon, they were Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress and Scizor. As for moves in Generation II, the only Steel-type ones were Iron Tail, Metal Claw and Steel Wing. While Dark-type moves exclusive to Generation II and onwards were Beat Up, Crunch, Faint Attack, Pursuit and Theif. Not too many, were there? As of today, the only types that Dark-type is actually weak against is Fighting and Bug, which is only two types that it's weak against, compared to other types where they have a few more weaknesses than just 2. And because of the many Dark-type Pokémon and moves that were introduced in later generations has kind of gave Dark-type Pokémon more advantage over other types, it's made Dark-type the #1 type of Pokémon to use in battle. Steel-type has three weaknesses, where as Dark-type only has two, and it's been that way since Generation II.

If there was ever a Light-type introduced, I would actually be expecting as few as 4 new moves. While older moves that use Light... I'm thinking After You, Feint, Flash, Focus Energy, Follow Me, Heal Bell, Morning Sun, Moonlight, Swift, Helping Hand, Sweet Kiss and Wish should be the moves that would be older moves that would close enough to be Light-type, I'm thinking about how most Light-type attacks would be about helping, lowering stats with bright light and healing HP as well as status ailments, and if there was to be a Light-type... then there should only be two Light-type attacks that would do damage, with Swift being an old one and a new one that only some Legendary would have. It would be fair to change a Normal-type attack into the new type if a new type was introduced, seeing as it happened with Generation II. Also, if Solarbeam was changed into a Light-type, it would no longer be Super-Effective against Water-types, Ground-types or even Rock-types.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
While it really doesn't help. Just realized, Gen 6 is the technical "Generation 2" for the reset as Gen 5 was supposed to be our Pokemon world reset with it being 150+ unique Pokemon with no older ones making up the original Pokedex in B/W.

So with Gen 6 being the new Gen 2 and Gen 2 added two new types then, then maybe there is a chance we'd see a new type emerge... XD Just a maybe.

blue

gucci
Years
The only two types that seem plausible and have a chance right now is Light and Sound but even then, I wouldn't put money on it, I just think it's something that they could have done at an earlier date.

Years
For some odd reason I totally agree with the new types... We are stuck with the same type for over 10 years.. Same type would eventually give same sort of Pokemon...
A new type would make new kinds of Pokemon...

Light is a option - could encounter dark. May be weak against ghost and NORMAL
yes maybe Normal will finaly get a type that it does hit super effective..
Or a wind type because IMO flying and wind are 2 different things
Maybe a Smoke/mist/fog type even though It doesn't like seem its needed

Or maybe they'll do something completely different a Hybrid type... One type that is fused from 3 types
Like magma (Fire/rock/gound)
or Storm (electricity/water/flying)
With new weaknesses and resistances...

Years
No, it'll never happen, please no, never, thanks.
I really think I'd stop playing Pokemon if new types were added at this point.
Let's just think about things, okay? The only reason new types were added in Gen II was to balance out weaknesses and the like; mainly that Psychic was too overpowered.
At this point, a new type is unthinkable; there's too many Pokemon now to go back and change the type of. Besides, if Game Freak wanted new types to balance things more, they'd have done it in Gen III, definitely not Gen VI.

Of course, now that I've ranted about this, Game Freak will announce 67 new types tomorrow.

Guy

just a guy
Years
No, it'll never happen, please no, never, thanks.
I really think I'd stop playing Pokemon if new types were added at this point.
Let's just think about things, okay? The only reason new types were added in Gen II was to balance out weaknesses and the like; mainly that Psychic was too overpowered.
At this point, a new type is unthinkable; there's too many Pokemon now to go back and change the type of. Besides, if Game Freak wanted new types to balance things more, they'd have done it in Gen III, definitely not Gen VI.

Of course, now that I've ranted about this, Game Freak will announce 67 new types tomorrow.
I would probably leave it to the developers at GameFreak to decide whether or not we have too many Pokémon currently to go back and add new types to some of them. Otherwise, never say never since that's ultimately not something left for us to decide on.

The introduction of new types isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would actually welcome any new types they introduce, so long as it doesn't tip the balance of the current type system. I know some are hesitant about the idea, I myself have my own reservations about it, but in terms of expanding on their creative limits, there is a positive side to it.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I mentioned this in another thread. A Light-type attribute might be in the cards and would be a cool addition as an opposite to the Dark-type. Light would be strong against Dark and Ghost (typical strengths in real life) and weak against Dark (another typical strength/fear). It could be a secondary type to fairy/angel-like Pokémon like Cleffa's evolutionary line for example.

Ninfia, whose English name is Ninfeon, would be Eevee's 8th Eeveelution. Eevee so far has only evolved into a Water-type (Vaporeon), Electric-type (Jolteon), Fire-type (Flareon), Psychic-type (Espeon), Dark-type (Umbreon), Grass-type (Leafeon) and Ice-type (Glaceon). Eevee has still not evolved into another Normal-type, or a Fighting, Flying, Ghost, Steel, Bug, Poison, Rock, Ground or Dragon type. Ninfia comes from "ninfu", which means "nymph" in Japanese, as in the stage before adult in insects and/or fairies in mythology. Ninfeon looks nothing like a Bug-type, so it's possible it could be a Normal-type, as alot of the fairy-looking Pokémon are Normal-types (Clefairy, Togetic, etc.) or a Flying-type (because of the wavy ribbons that seem to blow freely in the wind, but yet Ninfeon isn't winged). Some say Ninfeon could be a Fighting-type but I hardly see any attributes of that.

I like the idea of another Eeveelution. Eevee is bound to evolve into all 17 types eventually. There might even be another Eeveelution next to Ninfeon coming out later this year. We got 3 Eeveelutions in Generation I, 2 in Generation II, none in Generation III, 2 in Generation IV and none in Generation V. Seems to be a slight pattern with releasing new Eeveelutions every other generation.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I have a strong feeling that somethin involving a new type will soon be revealed... Why else would they reveal Nympheon without letting us know it's type? Same with Xerneas and Yevltal. They know we can't tell the typing by their appearance and they're purposefully releasing Pokémon whom have appearance we won't recognize.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Just as i said in another thread,
"But a light type doesn't make any sense. The only argument people give is that Dark type needs a counter. What people miss is that it isn't even called "Dark" type in Japanese. It's "Evil" type. This alone ends he discussion for a light type. There is opposite for Evil type. You can say that Every other Type is an Opposite of Evil."

If you really are looking for an Opposite of Dark(Evil), it should be "Nice" Type. Now that is just Absurd.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Honestly? Given what we have, speculating a new type is fairly understandable. New types can be still up in the air. For the first time, we have what seems to be a single eeveelution being introduced (this, too, is speculation--but they're certainly making Ninfia the center of the promotion for this eevee short). Not only that, but it's type is already proving nearly impossible to place, which puts it starkly at odds with the pattern of other eeveelutions. They're all almost immediately identifiable, and GF is specifically hiding its type. A brand spankin' new eevee evolution does sort of present the perfect opportunity to introduce a new type.

"Dark" isn't "dark" in Japan, but "evil." "Light" could still fit the bill perfectly. In a semiotic sense, "light" is an archetypical representation of "goodness" or "purity." Any of those words (or divine, or celestial, and on and on) could all be interchangeable and work perfectly well at suggesting a new and fairly cohesive and clear type--certainly as conceptually clear as "bug" or "dragon" or "steel" or "poison" or, yes, "dark." I mean, it makes sense what constitutes a bug or dragon or steel pokemon, but in terms of moves it makes no sense, and GF mostly wings it (X-Scissor is bug type! Flash Cannon is Steel!)

Most of these types aren't interpreted in a single way, either. Dark types are suggestive, yes, of darkness or shadows--Umbreon, for instance--but also sometimes suggestive of the "evilness" or at the very least the impishness suggested by the Japanese name for the type--your Weaviles or Hydreigons or Zoroarks. Poison has been interpreted as venom--Toxicroak/Arbok, but also as various forms of pollution. I just wouldn't debunk the possibility of a light type just yet.

The whole chivalry/honor thing makes sense to oppose "dark" or "evil," but so would a pure/light/divine type, just as it makes sense why fire and water have the relationship they do, and why fire and rock have the relationship they do. Because any type that exists, in practical terms, has no single foil. In practical terms, each type has a specific interaction with 16 other types. And while the relationship between Dark and Fighting can be pretty easily explained/interpreted, anybody who honestly thinks that on a thematic/conceptual level that Dark or Evil (either way you want to refer to or think about it) doesn't have a more direct and clearly implied opposite than "fighting" is stretching credibility. And the idea that Japanese culture isn't as preoccupied with dark/light-evil/good schema doesn't do much to convince me. That may very well be true, and they may see things with greater complexity and ambiguity, but these are still ultra-basic, pretty much universally recognized and understood narrative and mythic motifs.

They *did* use Dark and Steel to help nerf Psychic, sure. But they could have done that a lot more easily by just tinkering with the type chart. Sort of like how, you know, Ice suddenly (and sadly, though logically) gained another type resistant to it between Gen I and Gen II--fire. Not to mention, again, those two new types also unavoidably interacted with every other type in the game and changed things for those types. If they were added just to nerf Psychic, well, there's many much easier solutions GF could have implemented. How about they did it partly because it was--this may be crazy--fun and interesting? And it's been a long time since we've had a new type. I'd, for one, welcome it. It just switches things up and adds a new layer of complexity and opens up things aesthetically for more varied pokemon designs.

Well look, types can be become even more balanced. Not much people use Ice bug typing pokemon in competitive play, for instance. Sure, Ice is an offensive necessity, so I suppose in that sense you could try to argue there's a balance, but the point of pokemon should really be to be able to battle and win with the pokemon you love, so for me, that defines balance as making as many pokemon as possible from all types as competitively viable as possible. Obviously, it's impossible to completely balance things, but the great disparity in type allocation among the tiers is pretty damning evidence to indicate that things could be *more* balanced. Sorry, this has become longer than I hoped, but, tl;dr, my opinion is that I wouldn't say that pokemon doesn't need new types. Not yet anyway.

Last edited:

Mujahid

Years
Just to add a little more on the whole "Dark" type thing..If it really signified darkness, Shadow ball,Smokescreen,Shadow sneak,Shadow claw,Shadow force,Shadow punch would be Dark type. Instead, we have moves like Sucker punch,Fling,Fake tears,Foul Play,Taunt,Thief etc. as Dark. It's just a translation blunder. And If 'Light' type signifies 'Kindness', I fail to see how an offensive move can fit into that category.

My Point, If they do introduce new types, I am fairly certain a 'light' type will not be there.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just to add a little more on the whole "Dark" type thing..If it really signified darkness, Shadow ball,Smokescreen,Shadow sneak,Shadow claw,Shadow force,Shadow punch would be Dark type. Instead, we have moves like Sucker punch,Fling,Fake tears,Foul Play,Taunt,Thief etc. as Dark. It's just a translation blunder. And If 'Light' type signifies 'Kindness', I fail to see how an offensive move can fit into that category.

My Point, If they do introduce new types, I am fairly certain a 'light' type will not be there.

Light doesn't need to be purely offensive. I mean, Solarbeam really would fit into that - moves like that could be very offensive, and there could also be defensive moves, too :)

Mujahid

Years
Light doesn't need to be purely offensive. I mean, Solarbeam really would fit into that - moves like that could be very offensive, and there could also be defensive moves, too :)

My post was concerning the thought of 'Light' type as symbolic to Kindness. Ofc, A Light type can work out but i don't think it will represent Kindness , as some people have argued.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Light type wouldn't signify "kindness". Light as in...sunLIGHT. Moves like Flash would be Light-type.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
My post was concerning the thought of 'Light' type as symbolic to Kindness. Ofc, A Light type can work out but i don't think it will represent Kindness , as some people have argued.

Well no, but kindness = good, and light generally = good, while evil = bad, so while it wouldn't necessarily represent kindness, it'd more so represent purity or something along those lines. :3

Mujahid

Years
Light type wouldn't signify "kindness". Light as in...sunLIGHT. Moves like Flash would be Light-type.

I did not say that. I saw some posts which argued that Light can represent Kindness just as Dark represents Evil. My posts were meant for them.

Back