• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 17.2 - 15th October 2017

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 17
27th August 2017

Wiki

It's been a while...

A Quality Update
  • Essentials v17 was focussed (vaguely, more or less) on making quality of life improvements. Things that make the game easier to play, or look nicer, or easier to develop. This includes the new Ready Menu, which is a much improved version of registering an item that can register multiple items at once and show moves you can use in the field; the option to choose whether you want to input text via cursor or direct typing; various improvements to Debug options; the addition of the "pokemonforms.txt" PBS file; and support for AZERTY and QWERTZ keyboards, not to mention moving the F5 key all the way down to the more easily accessible F. There are plenty of other changes I've made that would fit under this heading, but I'll let you read through the change log and find them for yourself!
Yes, But What Does It LOOK Like?
  • Some long-standing visual quirks have finally been resolved. You can no longer jiggle in and out of a running pose when you're not supposed to (I know, it's a shame), grass rustling no longer happens above your head, and water reflections no longer appear over land. Fishing is much improved too, with several audio and visual cues that tell you when you've hooked a Pokémon. The shading of the world throughout the day is more pleasant to look at. Oh, and the Pokédex looks a whole lot nicer now, as do various other bits of GUI. Some Pokémon storage box wallpapers are unlockable (and locked by default), so maybe you won't see those.
Tell Me More
  • Fine. Input::A (the Z key to you and me, or W for AZERTY keyboards or Y for QWERTZ keyboards) has extra functionality all over the place. It'll play a Pokémon's cry on demand in the summary screen, it'll let you quickly rearrange Pokémon in the party and in storage, and as for rearranging items in the Bag, it'll now drag the selected item around rather than swap the positions of two items. The Bag can filter which items you see in it, so for example, in battle you'll only see the items you can actually use at the time. The battle transition animations used to be a random choice of about a dozen fairly dull fades to black, but now they work and look just like the ones from HeartGold and SoulSilver, which is much better.
Anything Else?
  • Plenty, I'm sure. Have a read through the change log to find out more. There's always bug fixes, including the one which means Pokémon that disobey you in battle now won't use the move you told them to use anyway. And people in your Phone can no longer call you while you're in a menu or starting a battle. And so on.

The full change log for this version is available on the wiki.

Have fun!

ATTENTION!

Pokémon Essentials version 17.1 has now been released.

It contains fixes for some bugs that cropped up in v17. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

ATTENTION!

Pokémon Essentials version 17.2 has now been released.

It contains fixes for some bugs that cropped up in v17.1. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

EDIT: Download links are not allowed to be shared on PokéCommunity. If you want to download Essentials, look around and ask elsewhere (not here, not on this forum) for a link.

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I just downloaded this new version, and I've spotted a rather large problem in my opinion. No longer can you edit trainers anywhere that I can find. How are you supposed to edit trainer data or add new ones, or is that supposed to be manually done in the PBS files now?

For all the improvements you did this time, this feels like a step backwards.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
I just downloaded this new version, and I've spotted a rather large problem in my opinion. No longer can you edit trainers anywhere that I can find. How are you supposed to edit trainer data or add new ones, or is that supposed to be manually done in the PBS files now?

For all the improvements you did this time, this feels like a step backwards.

The external editor was removed, it seems logical to me that functionality is now accessible from the in-game debug menu instead.

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
The external editor was removed, it seems logical to me that functionality is now accessible from the in-game debug menu instead.

I have checked the debug menu and i don't see anything. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'm not sure.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I have checked the debug menu and i don't see anything. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'm not sure.

Bro ... at least pretend like you tried.
BdDxgPN.png
yDTrlqG.png

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Whether you believe me or not that I tried to look doesn't make a difference. There is no trainer editor there. I have to do everything manually now.

Like I said before, this went a step backward.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Whether you believe me or not that I tried to look doesn't make a difference. There is no trainer editor there. I have to do everything manually now.

Like I said before, this went a step backward.

I get this strange feeling you installed v17, and then copied an old Scripts.rxdata file into it.

And as you have been SHOWED, the editor DOES exist and you shouldn't make such assumptions.

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Clearly no one cares enough to notice the editor is missing. Enjoy manually entering all trainers from now on. You'll miss that convience editor before long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Clearly no one cares enough to notice the editor is missing. Enjoy manually entering all trainers from now on. You'll miss that convience editor before long.

Marin and I obviously misread the series of posts, in that we thought you said the Editor (as in the thing that used to be a standalone Editor.exe) was missing - which it clearly isn't. You're right though, the GUI version of editing Trainer data (and Pokemon data for that matter) no longer exists. I think most people never used it much anyway, since from my experience it is way faster typing out trainers in the PBS manually, that Maruno didn't feel the need to include it anymore? He'll probably chime in eventually on that to clarify further.

Last edited by a moderator:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
After looking at it a second time, I was really hoping I didn't sound like a complete ass. I wasn't trying to come off as rude, but for me, being able to edit trainers semi-automatically was easier so as to eliminate mistakes. I'm not the best when it comes to spelling and I know when I tried inputting trainers and pokemon, etc manually into the pbs file, I would consistently get errors because I spelled something wrong.

I'm sorry for making such a big deal out of it. But I loved the trainer editor and if Maruno did leave it out for the reason you stated above, then I'm going to be disappointed as it will mean much more headaches than nessesary for the many misspellings im going to do in the future.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
I'm curious about the new Pokedex. Anyone who's installed it mind sharing a screenshot?

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
ATTENTION!

Pokémon Essentials version 17.1 has now been released.

It contains fixes for some bugs that cropped up in v17. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 20, 2018
Maruno, a few days ago I did all the upgrade of my game that was in version 16.2 of Pokemon Essentials for version 17. Now there is a new update for version 17.1, however it is too much work and hard to check everything again, is there somewhere to say only the files that have changed, and only those parts of the script that have changed?

I do not know if it's the right place to post this. If not, sorry.

Maruno

Years
I'm getting away from doing the "just the changed files" style of update. I figure providing the whole package is more convenient (for me and for users). After all, users should update by starting with a copy of the latest version of Essentials, so I'm now providing that directly rather than "a base copy plus this plus that".

I recommend on the wiki that users keep track of any changes they've made, which, amongst other benefits, makes it easier to find and replace stuff when you're updating to a newer version of Essentials. Also, if you've updated your game to Essentials v17 and it works, that's the hard part; v17.1 doesn't change any filenames or formats or anything, so updating to that from v17 should be straightforward.

I will NEVER do anything which encourages people to take bits and pieces out of the latest version of Essentials and plug them into an older version. That is not the recommended way of updating Essentials, as it'll cause all sorts of problems. To that end, I will never make a list of particular script sections or methods or whatever that have been altered, even for a relatively minor update like this one where making such a list is at all feasible.

Maruno

Years
ATTENTION!

Pok?mon Essentials version 17.2 has now been released.

It contains fixes for some bugs that cropped up in v17.1. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jul 28, 2019
Hello, i just made this account because I have tried to download the newest version from the wiki page but every time I click on any link it gives me a ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS message, I've tried it with every single link on the website and it doesn't work, it works for other websites but not the wiki, can anyone help me out?

Back