• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most underrated Pokemon

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Are there any Pokemon that you think deserve more love than they get? Well, I've got some.

One Pokemon that comes to mind is Incineroar. The main reason why it's unpopular is because it went bipedal while its prevos are quadrupedal. I think people should learn to accept this.

Another one is Tangrowth. I think it's cute in a derpy way, and I actually love its design. It's very bulky on the physical side, and it has good attacking stats too. In Gen 5, it got Regenerator, which made it very useful in competitive battling. And lastly, I've been using it more often in Pokemon hacks lately, and it's been a great asset to my team.

Lanturn is another one. I've used one in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, and I don't regret it. It's a good special tank, and it can hit decently hard too. However, it's often overlooked because by the time you can catch one, you probably already have a good Water type and/or a good Electric type.

Honorable mentions: Exeggutor, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Miltank, Hariyama, Sableye, Cradily, Gorebyss, Drifblim, Rhyperior, Magmortar, Seismitoad, Sigilyph, Vanilluxe, Aromatisse, Shiinotic, Palossand, and Turtonator.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Durant is pretty underrated imo. While it does have a few flaws, it gets Hustle as an ability and on top of an attack stat of 100+, it also gets some great moves such as X-Scissor, Iron Head which are pretty strong STAB moves.

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
Mismagius for one. I love it's design, sadly as someone else mentioned once Gengar does everthing it does better. Though at least Mismagius now has one over on it since Gengar can't Levitate anymore. Part of me was hoping that it would get a Mega evolution a while back but now that they aren't important anymore I guess not.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Durant is pretty underrated imo. While it does have a few flaws, it gets Hustle as an ability and on top of an attack stat of 100+, it also gets some great moves such as X-Scissor, Iron Head which are pretty strong STAB moves.

Not to mention it has access to Hone Claws, effectively negating the adverse effects of Hustle

I also would say Mudsdale is underrated. It has an extremely high HP and Attack stat, an awesome ability that raises its Defense, and a solid movepool with pretty decent coverage. Not to forget that if you slap an AV on it, this Pokemon will never faint!

VZHSV

Team Skull Enforcer
Years
Flygon, still the FIRST dragon ground type( *cough *cough* garchomp) and still doesn't get the respect it deserves.Plus its design is pretty cool as it looks more like a dragon bug type.

I agree but mudsdale is a more either really love or really hate type of pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Mismagius for one. I love it's design, sadly as someone else mentioned once Gengar does everthing it does better. Though at least Mismagius now has one over on it since Gengar can't Levitate anymore. Part of me was hoping that it would get a Mega evolution a while back but now that they aren't important anymore I guess not.

Agree with this so much!!! Going along with Mismagius, Drifblim is another underrated ghost-type. In-game it's a great special-attacker and won't go down in one hit (depending on the type effectiveness ofc). + we all know how much damage Drifblim can do from Fantina's Drifblim.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I'm gonna say Araquanid. Dunno if it's actually underrated but I don't see it often on other people's teams so yeah. But nevertheless I think it is a really good mon. I already liked it when I saw the design but wasn't sure whether to use it due to being redundant to my starter. But since I've had type redundant team success before I figured it was not a big deal. And so I never regretted putting it on my team. It makes up for being slow by being incredibly tanky, making it faint the least out of my entire team. Mine also was pretty good for offence as well, and so proved to be an all round amazing teammate. A proof of how awesome mine was is how it legidimately managed to tank a Discharge from freaking Tapu Koko. Yes, even Electric terrain was up.
Araquanid is badass.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
The first thing that comes to mind are a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon. I know for me I really didn't like that gen at the time, but looking back it's actually really good. The Pokemon designs are probably some of the best stand alone designs I've ever liked, but I feel they get a bad wrap for being Gen 5 and "Gen 1 clones". The Sandile, Dwebble, Tynamo, Tympole, and Scraggy lines are some of my favorite Pokemon ever, and I feel like they're just glanced at like "cool" and that no one really cares.

Outside of Gen 5 though, I'd say a lot of then "Gen 4 extensions" are pretty underrated (aka the Gen 1/2 Pokemon that got evos at the end of the Pokedex). I understand some are pretty useful - Mamoswine, Weavile, Togekiss - but I feel the rest of them are just again looked at and no one really cares for them.

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
I have always felt like Slowbro, Reuniclus, and Scraggy don't get enough credit. All really cool pokemon, with cool designs. Pre-evolutions in general I feel don't get enough love.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2019
Not to mention it has access to Hone Claws, effectively negating the adverse effects of Hustle

I also would say Mudsdale is underrated. It has an extremely high HP and Attack stat, an awesome ability that raises its Defense, and a solid movepool with pretty decent coverage. Not to forget that if you slap an AV on it, this Pokemon will never faint!
Mudsdale can't be underrated, it's obvious that he's close to OP.
Learned mine Double Kick, Heavy Slam, Earthquake and Rockslide and destroyed the champion with it.
His Snorlax didn't even stand a chance.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Mudsdale can't be underrated, it's obvious that he's close to OP.
Learned mine Double Kick, Heavy Slam, Earthquake and Rockslide and destroyed the champion with it.
His Snorlax didn't even stand a chance.

Like I said its an underrated mon and a very strong, seemingly overlooked mon in-game. But it doesn't even come close to OP. Without AV, its SpDef is average to below average. Its got awful speed, leaving it almost always the last too move, also keeping it from taking full advantage of its solid movepool. Going even further, competitive-wise. It is heavily restricted to 3 sets involving Leftovers, AV, or Choice Band. As such if you go for either of the first two,you're giving up a lot of power. If you go the latter, you lose passive recovery/bulk. And again, its awful speed tier just kills its overall viability as an offensive mon.

Like I said, Mudsdale is a great mon when used well, primarily in-game. But its not OP and doesn't resemble anything like an OP mon (a.k.a Marshadow) especially since its plying its trade in the NU tier.

As for other underrated mons, I've come to realize non-mega medicham is actually pretty great. Meh overall statistics but its got a fantastic ability in Pure Power and with the right training/ev investment put into attack, Def/Sp Def and Speed, it can be an amazing weapon capable of taking a hit or two before going down

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
Maybe Dunsparce, Sunflora or Shiinotic? Maybe it's just me but I haven't seen much stuff of them and it's especially a shame that I haven't seen official plushies of them. I don't know anything about competitive stuff myself though so I don't know about their efficiency in battles either, but I just know that they're all so cute that I'd gladly hug all of them for days.

Years
I'd probably say Bewear. People tend to hate its design, but it's actually quite a powerhouse if you use one. In fact, mine was a lifesaver with the Fluffy ability in the battle against Totem Mimikyu.

Another Pokemon I feel doesn't get enough love is Skuntank. I often used one in my Sinnoh playthroughs even if I had to trade with my brother's DS to get it since I had the games it wasn't found in while he had Diamond. Its ability to learn Flamethrower is very interesting, especially if you need something that can use a Fire-type move and you didn't pick Chimchar.

Years
I think that Porygon-Z deserves more love. It's relatively unknown due to not appearing in the anime at all, but it's got good Speed and excellent Special Attack that can get better due to Download. Tri-Attack combined with Adaptability is also extremely powerful, and it gets wide coverage and Nasty Plot.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
I'll second Hikamaru about Bewear.
With Fluffy and high HP & Attack + reasonable Defense stats he's very bulky physically at sacrifice for a weakness to Fire.
I used a Bewear in my Pokémon Sun and I found it quite useful.

Pave Low2

Everything
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2018
Porygon2. At least from a battling perspective. Has been so useful for me in the games with its impressive movepool and very solid stats, specifically SpA and both defensive stats. An all-rounder but one of the better ones for sure. Not much point delving into much more detail but it is a Pokemon I always welcome into my in-game roster and competitive normal monotype team.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Smeargle, despite its unfortunately very low base stats, it can still be useful in battle with its vast movepool due to Sketch, and can use different combination of useful non attacking moves like hazards, spore and baton pass to win a battle by supporting the other Pokemon.

I wish Game Freak should increase its stats to make it offensively or defensively capable in battle without giving it an unnecessary evolution, they gave Rayquaza a mega. If you give this thing even Glalie's stats which are considered bad, it would be able to make use of those stats better than its current ones due to its large movepool and elevate itself as an excellent, more versatile Pokemon than it is now. Although an offensive or defensive Smeargle is never going to happen (only in my dreams) because Game Freak can't be bothered to raise some Pokemon's low stats even though they give newer Pokemon, forms and Megas obscenely high stats.

A few more underrated Pokemon to mention would be a long list actually.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 14, 2018
Rhyperior. It gets tons of unjustified hate, people act like it killed its mother...

Swellow, Tapu Koko, Exploud and Milotic too. Even Garbodor, Stunfisk, Tangrowth and the kami trio.

And lastly, Glalie. Since it got an awesome mega, you would expect people to like it more than Froslass, but NOPE, Froslass is still way more popular and dominates Glalie in such contests, despite the fact that it isn't overall as cool as Glalie.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Tropius being rendered almost entirely useless in competitive and in-game is a damn shame. A gentle giant of sorts. I was a little irked to see a few Pokemon get Alolan forms (Dugtrio and Persian for example) over a TROPICAL Pokemon in a TROPICAL region.... =/

Back