• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cultural Problems with Pokémon Species?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
What's happening, guys? I have thought that some of these species need conceptual artwork design changes from original, or otherwise, they'll might be written out of the franchise. Why? This is because of the cultural references that might upset people for their problems. Please let me know if you think of any species of Pokémon with culture problems in original conceptual artwork designs. Thanks.;)

Years
I have thought that some of these species need conceptual artwork design changes from original, or otherwise, they'll might be written out of the franchise.

like who? nobody cares about Jynx anymore if this is the implication, and i can't imagine any other pokemon that's offensive enough to warrant a re-work in design?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
I meant like Kadabra and Alakazam needs conceptual artwork design changes or otherwise removal from the franchise due to references to Jewish, Nazi and Uri Geller references. All golem-based Pokémon being possibly removed due to Jewish references. Or Groudon and Kyogre needs removal or redesign due to Biblical references? Whatever.

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I mean, integrating references to or basing things on other cultures is not a bad thing and does not need editing or censoring unless it is truly offensive. I would like to see sources on the threats of removal from the franchise- the only issue you have referenced that I am aware of is the one regarding Kadabra, and that's been restricted to TCG only. Beyond which, the claim that Kadabra references Nazis was perpetuated by Uri Geller himself and was likely a bid to make more of a case for himself in that battle. We should also appreciate that "[Geller] also considered a suit against IKEA over a furniture line featuring bent legs that was called the "Uri" line." So like... do we care...?

Years
I'm sure a lot of research goes into making sure that Pokemon are suitable for international audiences, especially as newer generations continue to roll out. The only redesigns of Pokemon that we might see are similar to what's happened to Pikachu over the years, but if a Pokemon's been around for 10, 15, or 20 years at this point with no signs of a change, then I don't expect that we'll ever see one.

Back