• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: "What's Next" Megathread - What are your hopes for Gen 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
"What's Next" Megathread
Bring up anything you're hoping for! Open world? Following Pokemon? Region based in a particular country? Post your favourite ideas and if we get enough fun ones we can make a big list or something :)

I encourage you to give your thoughts on other members's ideas as well!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Few things that should have happened long ago. Stat buffs to older pokemon + better abilities. It's not fair that all the Alolan pokemon are spoiled with unique abilities while older pokemon get stuck with mediocre ones.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Battle Frontier. :)

Open world would be interesting. They'd have to do something about the level curve. After getting the Poke Flute, Kanto is sort of open world and everything is the same level range until the water routes, but because of that it gets progressively easier... Maybe to avoid that gen 8 could increase all the in-game levels by a certain amount every time a gym/trial is completed, assuming they do open world.

blue

gucci
Years
  • Pokemon following behind you
  • Multiple saves
  • Difficulty key system
  • Less hand holding throughout the game
  • Gyms returning
  • Not quite an open world, but more of an accessible region that doesn't feel so linear
  • Graphical style similar to Breath of the Wild and Odyssey

Considering how Masuda himself said not to get our expectations too high, I'm obviously reserving my expectations at the moment. The transition from the 3DS to the Switch is bound to be a big leap, I'm just hoping they do it justice. While a release towards the end of this year would be great, I'm also happy to wait until next year if it means them taking their time and actually producing a great game rather than rushing it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
-Dynamic level scaling. Perhaps the game could check the no. of gym badges you have and scale the trainer's levels appropriately.
-More freedom. I'm not sold on the idea of an open world game yet, but there needs to be more freedom to explore the map. Kanto had the most freedom to explore despite how linear it is at the beginning. You can go to Cinnabar Island with 4 badges.
-Use of EVs by normal trainers.
-Gym leaders, or whatever replaces them should use things other than type themed teams. perhaps a gym leader has a stall team or one that abuses weather conditions.
-Branching storyline.
-Getting rid of the "Welcome to the World of Pokémon" thing at beginning. Choosing an avatar and name and getting right into game would be ideal.

Last edited:
Years
Breath of the Wild-style open world:
  • Pokemon visibly roaming around. Some might be rarer or harder to find and would need tricks to reveal them.
  • Replace the turn based system as the default for something more like Pokken (not necessarily identical) to give more Pokemon utility in battles, but allow for a "classic" battle option when battling other trainers.
  • Let there be a ton of HM-like abilities that let you move around the world in different ways, but none that are necessarily required to move around. For instance, a bunch of Pokemon could fly, but they might fly at different speeds, only be able to go to certain heights, or might tire more quickly. Same idea for swimming, climbing, riding, cutting, smashing, etc.
That would be my hope, though I don't expect even half of this.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
- Following Pokemon, if feasible in 3D
- Gyms and HMs stay gone
- No separate battle and overworld scenes. Battles can take place in the overworld.
- I dunno about full open world and that is certainly unlikely, but it would be nice to have more freedom and definitely less hand holding.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I know my wishlist won't happen...

Gym returning. I don't hate the idea behind Sun and Moon, but it is alright for one game only ;)
I wouldn't mind more mega evolutions or special forms, but not another new gimmick that get forgotten in the next generation.
No HM!
Less cutscenes.... more about exploring than following a story and go in a linear direction. I do not ask for an open world, but it would be fun to have more than one way to do the game...
No more than 3 or 4 legendary. Gen7 is ridiculous about that.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Open world, non-linear story would be amazing. It would be a pretty bold move for Pokemon, but I think it would work really well. There would be one "true" ending, but the way you get there would be different from everyone, somehow.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
- Mega Evolution must return especially for weaker mons
- More IV control (I think it is really dumb to have IV's in the first place except for Hidden Power)
- Hidden Power Fairy pls
- The Fire starter should be on all fours on it's final evolution
- The starters should all have secondary typings and my idea would be Grass/Fire, Fire/Water and Water/Grass. I'd love to see this happen but I guess it won't ever
- More unique type combos
- Type Chart improvements especially for Ice (I guess this won't happen either)
- I don't know if I would love to see it but having more different in battle weather conditions could be interesting something like for example Windy/Stormy.
- Having more terrains wouldn't hurt either
- More abilities like Refrigerate and Pixilate
- Different types of entry hazards and more options for hazard removal
- Buffs to older weak Pokemon and maybe better abilities (this one came up already but I still wanted to mention it)
- More attention towards single battle options instead of doubles (I know VGC is in doubles but there are many people playing by Smogon rules too)

I guess I am going to send this wishlist to santa and be a good person all year long :D

Years
I'm very much up for an open world or at the very least less linearity. I really dislike how much more the game holds your hand as generations go on. I want to play the game without being stopped every five minutes by annoying side characters like Lillie, Cheren etc.

Sun and Moon had way too many cut scenes. That needs to be addressed immediately.

More post game content, specifically locations. Ideally as a side region (like the Sevii Islands) or returning to an old region after the league (NOT Kanto!).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 16, 2022
TIL i'm the only one who really liked gyms gone. come on, let's have them mix it up a bit again!

I'd actually like a blend between the two. Gyms felt like you were actually making progress within the game, trials just kind of felt like you were doing them for the sake of doing them. But totems were incredibly challenging so if they brought gyms back and somehow weaved totem Pokemon into them, I'd be happy :D

Years
  • Age 23
  • Asia
  • Seen Nov 21, 2019
Your gen 8 expectations

-A dark type gym(also implies to return the gym system)
-Return of secret bases
-Return of pokemon following you
-BW/B2W2 kind of storyline
-Pokemon World Tournament(that would kill on switch)
-No new pokemon please(though new megas are welcome)

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
As the next main series game will be on switch, we all are hyped!. But we don't know anything more on this and all we can do is speculate. What are your expectations from these gen 8 games?. Mine goes like this :

-A dark type gym(also implies to return the gym system)
-Return of secret bases
-Return of pokemon following you
-BW/B2W2 kind of storyline
-Pokemon World Tournament(that would kill on switch)
-No new pokemon please(though new megas are welcome)
whoops, we already have a thread for this! merging :3

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I've requested the following before, and will continue to do so until I'm blue in the face;

Battle Frontier. Hell, I'll even take an updated version of the Pokemon World Tournament.
3D models that are as colorful as the 2D sprites of yore. The current models are pathetically pale and muted.

And a return to gyms would be nice. Trials were fun and a nice change of pace, but it's clear that based on the text of the game they are an Alola thing.

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2022
My hope is that they make the next game more multiple choice, similar to TellTale games where your choices have consequences and change the gameplay each time. I think I would enjoy the game more if it were like that and it would have replayability to get the different outcomes.

Second thing I would live to see would be VR, the ability to link a vr headset with the nintendo switch and feel like your immersed in the pokemon world.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
A non-linear Gym system. Something like you can do certain gyms in any order, as long as you do a certain three before the next three, etc. (I would have the first gym and last gym be mandated, but the middle six separated into three and three).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
My hope is that they make the next game more multiple choice, similar to TellTale games where your choices have consequences and change the gameplay each time. I think I would enjoy the game more if it were like that and it would have replayability to get the different outcomes.

Second thing I would live to see would be VR, the ability to link a vr headset with the nintendo switch and feel like your immersed in the pokemon world.

I would love VR too! I definitely think that Pokemon will head there at some point, they would be crazy not to. But as a whole that's probably not going to be happening this coming generation simply because the cost, but who knows. Right now there's just way too many steps for the average user to even get it on the Switch in general: https://blog.bigscreenvr.com/we-fig...ndo-switch-in-vr-and-its-amazing-d2de9638bd19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back