• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What did you nickname your pokemon?

Years
My first one was a Froakie that I called Speedfrogon!
YES, IT IS THE MEDDLESOME SPEEDFROGON.

Now, I've got several other named ones that go by:
Mawile - Kawaijaws (SO KAWAII UGU)
Metagross - Megadator (basically Megacomputer, many of my names are atleast partially based on my language of birth, SWEDUSH)
Scolipede - Thousandfoot (literal translation of the swedish word for centipede)
Greninja - Valentine (The best president)
Eelektross - Tricitet (Electricity, Tricity, Tricitet)
Drifblim - Zeppeli (He's gon' take all the children up the Stairway to Heaven)
Mawile 2 - Grandjaws (Kawaijaws grandma)
Salamance - Wyrmas (dragins n stuff)
Charizard - Fakkla (The original name, Fackla, was censored, even though it translates to Torch.)

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
My (shiny) Pokemon with names:
Sandslash ~ Sandy
Sandshrew - Booger
Volcarona ~ Nova
Luvdisc ~ Binky
Wartortle ~ Donatello
Venomoth ~ Periwinkle
Crawdaunt ~ Lobstah
Sylveon ~ Napoleon (lol)
Roserade ~ Oona
Slowpoke ~ KingBro VI
Mareep ~ Amythest
Relicanth ~ Ol' Salty

I've lost interest in naming my regular Pokemon... well, I still name each of my Smeargle, but there are too many to list them all, so here are a few:

Pokaso
Pokelangelo
D'Artagnan

Last edited:
Years
You all gave your Pokemon such cool nicknames!! I'm jealous! :)

I am not good at finding nicknames so, I don't nickname my Pokemon. I received a Japanese Bulbasaur from a wonder trade and I really liked the Japanese letters but the name changed to English when it evolved into an Ivysaur :( oh well.

The only Pokemon I've ever nicknamed is a Skitty back in Sapphire. Her name is Baci (doesn't make any sense, I was only 8 lmao). I am planning to transfer her to X&Y tho. *waiting for the Pokemon Bank*

Edit: * OMG. I just googled the word "Baci" and it means "kisses" in Italian {D:} I didn't know that lol *

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Chespin - Marron, (from Chespin's Japanese/French name, meaning chestnut)

Talonflame - Starla (I named my Starly in Diamond "Tally", refering to Talons. Because that name was taken, I thought it'd be clever to reference my now-Staraptor.)

Pikachu - Yellow (My pikachu headcanon is male, so it was a pleasant surprise to end up encountering a female. Named after the manga character who I dearly love. <3 )

Venusaur - Leon (I changed his name multiple times... I just wanted something that started with L like leaves.)

Azumarill - Sayaka (From PM Madoka Magica character. I just finished the series before starting XY. I imagine her using Aqua Jet as if she was rushing in for a sword attack. I think of her tail glowing sorta like a soul gem.)

Meowstic M - Cream. Sounds like a very passive, soft name for a cat. The fact that the female's white fur resembles cream more, yet I'd name a female Meowstic one day something dark like "Coffee", is where I was going with this.

I am not good at finding nicknames so, I don't nickname my Pokemon. I received a Japanese Bulbasaur from a wonder trade and I really liked the Japanese letters but the name changed to English when it evolved into an Ivysaur :( oh well.

The only Pokemon I've ever nicknamed is a Skitty back in Sapphire. Her name is Baci (doesn't make any sense, I was only 8 lmao). I am planning to transfer her to X&Y tho. *waiting for the Pokemon Bank*

Edit: * OMG. I just googled the word "Baci" and it means "kisses" in Italian {D:} I didn't know that lol *
I really dislike how the name converts back to English when they evolve, too. :( It's unfortunate because the name being foreign shows how unique the pokemon is to your team.

I love it when names end up having a significant meaning to them only in hindsight. :D That's a reall cool coincidence for her name.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
The name turning into your own region on evolution is a bummer, but also a bit nice flavor-wise. Imagine getting a Charmander from Japan that understands only Japanese. After you've trained it a while, it finally understands your language and responds to the new name :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I have the tendency to give most of my competetive bred/trained Pokemon (not all of them) nicknames which are also references to other video games. Just to list a couple of those:

- my first Mawile (f) -> Luna (a character in Lunar)
- my first Volcarona (f) -> Iris (summon in the second Golden Sun game)
- Aegislash (m) -> Historica (a sword in Radiant Historia)
- Froslass (f) -> Yukimaru (double reference, actually; one being the origins which it was based of and the other being a character in Disgaea 2)
- Ampharos (m) -> Amphi (the Ampharos in Pokemon Gold)
- Gastrodon (m) -> Whelk (the first boss in FF6)
- Dragonite (f) -> Arche (one of the main characters in Tales of Phantasia)

LuminescentUmbreon

Eeveelution Trainer
Years
I'm not good at nicknames, but there are two that I like that I thought of. I named my Lucario Sebastian because that was the name I was originaly going to have when I was born before my parents changed their mind.

The other is my Umbreon who is nicknamed Kitt, as in K.I.T.T from Knight Rider. Both Umbreon and KITT are tanks! Plus, they both look pretty sleek and serious.

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
Absol- Sicarius. Its Latin for bringer of death. Fits pokedex entry.
Golduck- Gfyduck
Chesnaught-GrassKnux

PMG

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I find myself sitting there for about ten or even twenty minutes trying to come up with a good nickname. Half the time I never feel 100% satisfied with what I have because coming up with names is the bane of my existence but uuuuggghh it's so much fun to nickname Pokemon.

Greninja- Jiraiya (going more off of the folktale as opposed to the Naruto character)

Charizard- Amaterasu

Gogoat- Mountie

Aegislash- Hexcalibur

Tyrantrum- Emperoar

Xerneas- Brahma

Trevenant- Stumples

Noivern- Hertz

Mawile- Mawsome

Pinsir- Queen B

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I sometimes nickne my pokemon. But I have decided to nickname my aim team this time (which isn't something I usually don't do);

Greninja ~ Hank
Charizard ~ Zuko
Trevenant ~ Bumi
Tyrantrum ~ Stan
Xerneus ~ Forest Spirit

Then I have my event Blaziken which I couldn't name. But I did catch a fletchling at the beginning of my game (now a Talonflame) and is named Flare.

Years
My name in game is Acapella, I usually base my names off of musical terms and objects (e.g Instruments) for example, my protagonist for my recent Crystal playthrough was Capo, and my Sapphire speedrun was Carol.
My Starter's name (Froakie) was Cola Bottle, because I was drinking Pepsi at the time, and Pepsi's a blue can, so... (I'm not very creative when it comes to starters)
I don't really nickname much else, unless I think that I'm going to be using it constantly, For example, my Charizard's nickname is Blaze, since I knew that it would be a pokemon I know I would get attached to. However, I don't bother with other pokemon, because they're mainly either to finish the pokedex, or to just trade with (e.g, my Flabebe. Sorry.)

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
I nickname pokemon after other game characters name when I'm going to use them frequently, but usually leave them without nickname to save some time and change it later.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
Greninja: Narutoad
Pangoro: Panda Bear
Charizard: Groudon

Need help with my Gastrodon though. I made him specifically to counter the large amounts of Rotoms so if anyone has a cool nickname I'd appreciate it (something like Rotom Slayer or something).

Years
Gardevoir: Bridget, because it's a male.
Meowstic F: Hello Kitty♥
Blaziken: Andok's, I named it after a Roasted Chicken stand here in my place
Kangaskhan: Yo Momma!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
Kabutops = Kabukurosu, fuses Kabu with Kill in Japanese.

Garchomp = Kabuchomps, because mega Garchomp has Kabutops claws!

Goodra = DeeDee, those "Horns" look like pigtails. So I named it after DeeDee from Dexters Lab.

Pinsir = Dexter, small and angry. Clearly supposed to be Deedee's brother.

Sableye = Twitch. Well, he twitches so yeah...

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
My Name: Tai
Nickname: Chuckles

My Pokemon nicknames

Charizard: Fyre
Ditto: Barney
TalonFlame: Torik

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Water Starter: Hydros
Flying Type: Soara
Ampharos: Sparx
Fire Type: Blaze
Ghost Type: Magnus
Dragon Type: Draco

I'm not original when it comes to names, I've used these names since Gen I.
Course, in Gen I, Amphy was ELectrode, and ''dragons'' were normal, I believe, but I called it Draco anyway.

MawChomp

Average Trainer/Breeder
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2014
I suck at nicknaming so I take those I see on the web.

Mawile(F) - Mawleficent
Garchomp(F) - Sharkeisha
Rotom-H - Azzip (My nicknaming suck lol)
Amoonguss(M) - Supra Mayro
Clawitzer(F) - Clawberg (Yeah... I'm gonna change this...)

No nickname for my Charizard(M) yet... I think I'm gonna name him Solaire if ever.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
My original Elite Four team was:

Butterfree nicknamed The Helm
Chesnaught nicknamed The Shield
Aegislash nicknamed The Sword
Gogoat nicknamed The Greaves
Charizard nicknamed The Gauntlet
Yveltal nicknamed Y

Never found a fitting Pokemon for The Armor :P

Back