Why is there no blacks in Pokemon?

Started by Team Rocket's Raichu September 15th, 2009 2:41 PM
  • 60 replies
Age 24
Seen January 4th, 2011
Posted December 8th, 2010
535 posts
10.6 Years
I've never seen a black, hispanic, or anything besides white people. Why?

Best of the best comments (Don't pout if your comment isn't here.)

Spoiler:
Meh, my brain hurts from reading most of your guys' comments...why was this thread even created? Does it even matter? *sighs* Oh well.
It doesn't matter. That is why I created this thread.

Well they are really imitating their own culture, they aren't going to change it in the other cultural translations. And ever thought of this, Brock was black(ish) and he was like a slave in pokemon doing all the cleaning and cooking.
Okay this had to be in the best of the best comments.

Because the world would explode. =o

I mean. . Because there are rarely ever black, hispanics, or whites in Japan. They're all Japanese, with the exception of Machisu/Surge and whatever her name is. . I forget. Oh, right, Melissa/Fantina. *forgot* XD

And the whole 'they don't look Japanese' thing can be countered because of this: A Japanese anime creator once said that, by giving their characters bigger eyes, they can better convey emotions.

And, no, Takeshi/Brock, is not any other race besides Japanese. .
Just because of the first sentence this is going here.

I love you.

Though really, they balance it out with Giratina, being too black.
This is so funny.

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth

Age 27
Male
A Silver Sun
Seen April 14th, 2014
Posted February 23rd, 2013
818 posts
10.3 Years
Ah, very good thread. Yeah, I've never noticed it. Maybe Game Freak are racist?

Jokes aside, I've never actually thought about it before. Now when I turn on my Pokemon games I'll be reminded of this question.
Arrive without traveling
See all without looking
Do all without doing
Seen October 22nd, 2016
Posted January 8th, 2011
786 posts
10.7 Years
The only "white people" in the games are Lt. Surge and Fantina. Everyone else is Japanese or Pacific Islander (Asian).

The reason you don't see any blacks in the games is because blacks simply don't live in Japan on a level high enough that it would make sense. For that very same reason most Japanese don't know how to represent blacks outside of stereotypes, which is why they avoid them altogether.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seen June 29th, 2019
Posted February 5th, 2017
6,779 posts
11.9 Years
Same reason there are no blacks or hispanics in Japan.
I'd like to think of Brock as Hispanic, but that's just me :/
I'll just be completely unoriginal and say it's because there isn't a high enough population of other races in order for it to be a big enough difference to make it to the games. Did you ever see a non-oriental name in the credits of pokemon? Yeah, there you go.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College

Age 27
Female
Bronx, New York
Seen September 4th, 2014
Posted September 4th, 2014
12,048 posts
13.7 Years
Why does race matter to you. I'm ALL three things and it doesn't matter to me. Just play the games the way they are, race means nothing

:t354:TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi

Timbjerr

T-o-X-i-C

Age 32
Female
Texas
Seen August 9th, 2019
Posted January 28th, 2016
7,416 posts
16.1 Years
The only "white people" in the games are Lt. Surge and Fantina. Everyone else is Japanese or Pacific Islander (Asian).

The reason you don't see any blacks in the games is because blacks simply don't live in Japan on a level high enough that it would make sense. For that very same reason most Japanese don't know how to represent blacks outside of stereotypes, which is why they avoid them altogether.
Hit the nail right on the head there Redstar. :P

It's not limited to Pokemon games. Pretty much any Japanese-made game or anime/manga series will scarcely depict people of African decent, and when they do, it's usually a racial stereotype anyways. -.-
Seen November 2nd, 2009
Posted October 29th, 2009
44 posts
10.1 Years
yeah everyone is supposed to be japanese.fantina seems like spaniard lt.surg is like3rd gen american caucasian.i think brock is asian.but like hispanics,asian have very varied skin tone even between siblings(i'm hispanic an white as snow and my sister is like carmel colored)but some characters look very caucasian,such as jasmine.really it's kinda like supposed to be just w/e you want i think.but like staed no black people in japan = sterotypes=black people getting offended=jynx has always been purple.really i wouldn't have changed jynx color.i stnad by that i don't really see how she was a black sterotype and if you really do feel that then it says alot about your own thoughts.

BJ088

It's been so long!

Age 31
Male
Australia
Seen February 10th, 2010
Posted January 1st, 2010
306 posts
10.1 Years
Very good thread, VERY GOOD. Like your thinking.

To those saying that it's because there are no Black people in Japan, you all need to stop with the tunnel vision. Think outside the square instead of going for the easiest answer back.

If that were the case, it would have to be the stupidest excuse they could come up with for not including such "races" into the Pokemon world. So what if Blacks don't live in Japan! When making a show such as Pokemon, if they are going to cover SOME nationalities via Trainers, Pokemon, and any other way, then they can include the ones that have missed out. It's not bloody hard if you ask me. They SHOULD get SOME sort of representation and that's that. Has NOTHING to do with them not living in Japan, that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard for a while. So narrow minded.

So that basically means if I made a show based in Australia that, in parts, touched on different nationalities but I missed out on Hispanic and Black people (because there aren't HUGE amounts of them here), that would be ok right?

Please, get real.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it

Age 25
New Zealand
Seen August 26th, 2019
Posted May 19th, 2016
1,941 posts
11.1 Years
@BJ088

You really want to know why? This might sound offensive not to you since you're in Australia but to Black Americans. I mean no offense but when a Pokemon with black skin is considered racist, then adding black people into it will just cause them to go angry at Nintendo again. It's not that they don't want to but a small number of Black Americans(again no racism is intended) have to go and flame at Nintendo and claiming them to be racist.

You see the point is those Americans don't want Nintendo to have anything to do with Black People. If Nintendo had a black character, it would along the lines of "Pokemon are being racist,b lack people aren't like that" or " Why isn't the black guy a main character, this is racism!"

The thing is some of these Black Americans are so closed minded they don't see that you can't portray a race since everyone in that race is different. So no matter how Nintendo is gonna portray black people it will cause people to call them racist.

If anyone was offended because of this post, I do apologize.

3DS Friend Code: 1435 - 7175 - 2893
Male
Whyalla, Australia
Seen March 2nd, 2013
Posted December 16th, 2011
779 posts
10.4 Years
@BJ088

You really want to know why? This might sound offensive not to you since you're in Australia but to Black Americans. I mean no offense but when a Pokemon with black skin is considered racist, then adding black people into it will just cause them to go angry at Nintendo again. It's not that they don't want to but a small number of Black Americans(again no racism is intended) have to go and flame at Nintendo and claiming them to be racist.

You see the point is those Americans don't want Nintendo to have anything to do with Black People. If Nintendo had a black character, it would along the lines of "Pokemon are being racist,b lack people aren't like that" or " Why isn't the black guy a main character, this is racism!"

The thing is some of these Black Americans are so closed minded they don't see that you can't portray a race since everyone in that race is different. So no matter how Nintendo is gonna portray black people it will cause people to call them racist.

You see,there are are more whites then blacks in Oz,so..He most likely white.(I am white.)

Just to remove some peoples concerns, there IS a black man in Pokemon, specifically Pokemon Ranger 2.
Barlow?Or somebpdy else?Well?
Everything you say to me pushes one step closer to the edge

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory

BJ088

It's been so long!

Age 31
Male
Australia
Seen February 10th, 2010
Posted January 1st, 2010
306 posts
10.1 Years
RayquazaLv.X,

It doesn't matter whether I am white or black, I'm speaking from a general point of view.

Fact of the matter is, yes it doesn't really matter, but it's a good topic of conversation.
I really disagree with the whole Japan doesn't like blacks or doesn't have blacks in their country therefore they don't include them.
And I also disagree with the inclusion of a black character of any sort sparking controversy. It wouldn't be looked at differently at all, it'd just be another character.
Male
Whyalla, Australia
Seen March 2nd, 2013
Posted December 16th, 2011
779 posts
10.4 Years
RayquazaLv.X,

It doesn't matter whether I am white or black, I'm speaking from a general point of view.

Fact of the matter is, yes it doesn't really matter, but it's a good topic of conversation.
I really disagree with the whole Japan doesn't like blacks or doesn't have blacks in their country therefore they don't include them.
And I also disagree with the inclusion of a black character of any sort sparking controversy. It wouldn't be looked at differently at all, it'd just be another character.
You are right,it doesn't matter.
Everything you say to me pushes one step closer to the edge

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory

DestinyBender

Mana du vortes, aeria gloris.

Age 21
Male
Currently playing Pokémon Brown.
Seen March 19th, 2010
Posted March 19th, 2010
443 posts
10.1 Years
I enjoy the games whether or not there are any black people in the game. I doesn't really make a difference.

~DB
Love you <3

PC Family
Misty-loving sis
Evil, evil, brother
Rock-loving cousin
Uncle, King of Mafia-ness
Beauty Pair

Looking for pair -hinthint-

Also, a rival. Anyone?

Quotes from movies:
Superhero Movie
The House Bunny

Yaziyo

Everyone's favourite Arab

Age 27
Sitting in front of a bar shouting out obscenities.
Seen October 7th, 2018
Posted May 7th, 2010
144 posts
12.8 Years
Just a quick comment

So that basically means if I made a show based in Australia that, in parts, touched on different nationalities but I missed out on Hispanic and Black people (because there aren't HUGE amounts of them here), that would be ok right?
As an Arab born in Australia, I couldn't help but comment to this and to say, yes, there is nothing wrong with that. If I was setting a story in Sydney today, where I live, there would most likely not be a black or a hispanic character for the sole reason that there are hardly any living here. This is not about racism or narrow-mindedness, it's about keeping a story accurate. While this has nothing to do with Pokemon, you probably wouldn't expect to see a native american in a story set in sydney either, or an asian guy in the democratic republic of the congo, or an aboriginal guy in the USA for that matter.

You do not need to include every ethnicity in every story, that is silly.

For Pokemon though, I do not think they even thought of it. Adding ethnicities for the sake of adding ethnicities is not much better than having an all-white cast just because you want an all-white cast.

@BJ088

Just a quick note on your reference to the Jynx controversy. People weren't offended because Jynx's skin is black, they were offended because the character as a whole bore a distinct similarity to "blackface", a racist historical depiction of black people. See the image below if you're not familiar.
Spoiler:

Yeah, just a few things I wanted to comment on. In the end, people are people. This is a children's videogame/cartoon, there are more important things to worry about in life.

BJ088

It's been so long!

Age 31
Male
Australia
Seen February 10th, 2010
Posted January 1st, 2010
306 posts
10.1 Years
Just a quick comment

As an Arab born in Australia, I couldn't help but comment to this and to say, yes, there is nothing wrong with that. If I was setting a story in Sydney today, where I live, there would most likely not be a black or a hispanic character for the sole reason that there are hardly any living here. This is not about racism or narrow-mindedness, it's about keeping a story accurate. While this has nothing to do with Pokemon, you probably wouldn't expect to see a native american in a story set in sydney either, or an asian guy in the democratic republic of the congo, or an aboriginal guy in the USA for that matter.

You do not need to include every ethnicity in every story, that is silly.

For Pokemon though, I do not think they even thought of it. Adding ethnicities for the sake of adding ethnicities is not much better than having an all-white cast just because you want an all-white cast.
Props for the post, I think you're spot on.
But, I wasn't saying they HAVE to include every ethnicity, I was merely pointing out that if they DID, there wouldn't really be an issue as such. I mean, it would of been the last thing on their mind when creating this show/game.

Granted, good post.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!

Age 30
Female
ENGERLAND
Seen October 30th, 2011
Posted October 29th, 2011
1,189 posts
10.1 Years
They would also say, "Oh look, the Token Black Guy! Bet he's there just to tick boxes!" And not bother to take his character seriously even if he was the most well-rounded character in gaming history, which is racist in itself. -.-

Making anything these days is runs the risk of racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia...well, any prejudice you can list, really. I doubt there is a single book, tv show, movie, game, painting, doughnut, unicorn on the planet which has never had a complaint lodged about it for being -ist. :|

How's your thirst for adventure, Captain?

BJ088

It's been so long!

Age 31
Male
Australia
Seen February 10th, 2010
Posted January 1st, 2010
306 posts
10.1 Years
They would also say, "Oh look, the Token Black Guy! Bet he's there just to tick boxes!" And not bother to take his character seriously even if he was the most well-rounded character in gaming history, which is racist in itself. -.-
See, I highly doubt that would happen. Especially in a show like Pokemon.
Advertiser Content