The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

View Poll Results: Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2013 (8:43 AM).
la justice

Nature: Timid
I've never played Conquest, so idk the end of it. But I do like the idea of monotyping it. Since I'm sure the rules would need some bending around to fit the game, I think having a separate thread for it would be fine (use my prefixes pretty please?!).

Rewy, I love your signature! :) Such a neat way to display and name your teams!

some princes don't become kings.

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 23rd, 2013 (9:23 AM).
Rodent User

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
    Oh yeah o.o
    The Eeveelutions Challenge is now officially available for all Gens o.o
    Sweet. I think that I'll enter it once I finish some of my other challenges... I never liked Gen 4 (besides HG/SS), and all of my Ultimate challenges hit a rock once I hit the Sinnoh region.
    Old February 23rd, 2013 (9:27 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
    I second that o.o I wish I had such talent when it comes to drawing & stuff xD
    nicely done xD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueShellBeast View Post
    Sweet. I think that I'll enter it once I finish some of my other challenges... I never liked Gen 4 (besides HG/SS), and all of my Ultimate challenges hit a rock once I hit the Sinnoh region.
    And yay! more challengers are always welcome xD

If you'd like to play with me, you better be sure you know the game.

Old February 23rd, 2013 (9:33 AM).
    la justice

Well, Rewy didn't draw them, those are the Conquest pictures. XD Unless...Rewy...are you...an ARTIST?!

Old February 23rd, 2013 (9:59 AM). Edited February 23rd, 2013 by Rewy.
    untitled follower

Quote:
      Quote:
      Well, Rewy didn't draw them, those are the Conquest pictures. XD Unless...Rewy...are you...an ARTIST?!
      Some people like to say that I am, though as a skeptical person I don't quite trust that judgement.
      (Family and close friends are bad to use for grading your talent - because they're either 100% supportive or against it, whether you're good at all or not.)

But yeah - I suppose I can make art, but not sprites or completely digital things. I prefer to draw by pencil rather than on my tablet.
      (Sprite recoloring doesn't count since that's just switching pixel palettes. As you can see from the gyarados.)

I do have a Weasyl and deviantArt account, but I don't go around shoving it to everyone's faces.

Old February 23rd, 2013 (10:07 AM).

I knew it! xD

Well, I think you're talented ^^
      Oh and I got a new challenge in store @[email protected] working on it now @[email protected]
      Decided my SoulSilver could use some shaking xD so I thought I'd share the challenge with everybody o.o
      Oh and don't worry, it's gonna be for all gens such challenge can be done in ^^"

Old February 23rd, 2013 (1:08 PM).
      NERF THIS!

Nature: Adamant
      Hm guys I've been wondering... how does one make a successful challenge? To be honest I'm feeling a little frustrated :/ just because I think both of my challenges are interesting ideas, but yet I'm pretty much the only one to ever post updates for them. Is it because they're too complex? It seems that people enjoy signing up for challenges that only limit the kind of pokemon you can use, by any factor. I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, I'm just wondering.. what is it that makes a challenge attractive?
      Old February 23rd, 2013 (1:16 PM).
      la justice

Good question. I think making it available to all games is one way to make a challenge successful, though that's not the one and only key. Not having overly complicated rules are another thing, and having an attractive and easy to read format helps. Being an active OP is also a plus, you can ask NecrumWarrior about that. The monotype challenge has been doing much better since he took control of it, and it shows. Having a new and interesting concept is good too, but sometimes the concept might be a bit too restrictive or strange for some. For example, my Favorite Challenge is only for gen V, but it's still pretty popular since you get to use your, well, favorites.

Challenges that are too similar to something else don't always seem to go over well either, but I really think the main key is to not make a challenge too overly complicated. It needs to be explained well and easy to follow and appeal to people (which, if you write and explain things well and are persuasive, you can easily get people to want to participate I think). Also, challenges that rely on other challengers don't go well either, so trade challenges, tourney-style (though we don't have any, and it's clear why), rivaling other members, etc don't go over well. Same with challenges that only allow the OP to assign Pokemon. That's too restrictive, plus we don't know if they'll stay or not, cause then who else is gonna assign things?

That's just from my observations anyway. :) I think this post has gotten a bit too long. XD

Old February 23rd, 2013 (1:48 PM).
      untitled follower

Having a challenge available for all games is always a plus, but what really ticks me off (probably due to my job) is having obnoxiously large font sizes or no proper layout at all on the opening post where you're supposed to explain the rules.
        Also capslock makes it even more redundant. I know some people don't read the rules properly or just skim them over when they sign up, but having to scroll up and down when reading the rules is tedious.

How the opening post looks gives the impression of what type of a player the creator is also.
        If it's hastily put together and uses multiple formatings along with no real "list" of rules, the challenge won't appeal.
        Bulks of text are irritating to read through especially if you have to search for the numbers for rules.

side note: why do all wild shinies decide to die on me?!! D8 Last time it was a Shiny Oddish on my Emerald and I killed it with Scratch... Now a Shiny Rattata... that I killed with Leech Life that wasn't even a STAB... Whyyyyyyyyy......

Old February 23rd, 2013 (1:58 PM).

I'm sorry about the shnies Rewy DX
        I wouldn't know what that's like since I only ever ran into 1 wild shiny @[email protected] when I was doing my Bug Monotype on Emerald @[email protected] and it happened to be a Nincada and I caught it >u< I kinda just spammed pokeballs, out of fear I might faint it @[email protected]

Old February 23rd, 2013 (2:06 PM).
        I AM THE REAL SONIC

When I first joined the Challenges section, I started a challenge some of you may remember called the Slow Learner challenge. For all intents and purposes, it had the makings of a successful challenge. A unique concept that brought legitimate challenge to the game by forcing you to be unable to delete any move once they were learned. While it did have an okay run, it never really picked up the steam I expected it too. And I even found myself quitting the challenge, as it really wasn't my type of challenge. The Vault Hunter's challenge is my second challenge to date, and is mostly kept afloat by me and TwilightBlade. I can only attribute this to the fact that less people in challenges are really fans of the Borderlands series that I based the challenge on. It was also fairly complicated, though I would say not overly so, and required a bit of research in order to build a team. Ultimately, simplicity seems to be the key to a successful thread concept wise. Rules tend to need a bit of intricacy in order to prevent people from exploiting loop holes, something I learned while in charge of the Monotype challenge.

Ultimately, there's really no knowing just what is gonna make a successful challenge. Unless you are running one of the big four (Monotype, Solo, Random, Nuzlocke) there is really no way to guarantee success. All you need is a little luck.
        Old February 24th, 2013 (12:48 AM).
        Engineering Solutions

Nature: Lax
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by NecrumWarrior View Post
        Ultimately, there's really no knowing just what is gonna make a successful challenge. Unless you are running one of the big four (Monotype, Solo, Random, Nuzlocke) there is really no way to guarantee success. All you need is a little luck.
        Having a handful of committed challengers like I have in the Monocolor Challenge, which has a very similar setup to the monotype challenge, also helps, the Monocolor was even voted the best challenge of 2012 here! shamelessly toots own horn
        Old February 24th, 2013 (1:21 AM).

If a challenge has been non-active for nearly a month, are you allowed to make an V2 of that certain challenge??

~R~
          Old February 24th, 2013 (3:04 PM).
          I AM THE REAL SONIC

Far as I can tell, yes, but it's over a month, not almost.
          Old February 24th, 2013 (4:09 PM).
          la justice

Challenges go inactive after two months, not one. So if you want to participate, you can post in it as long as the last post isn't two months old. If the thread owner is inactive, you can talk to them about taking over the challenge. If they don't reply within about three days, then you can have it.

Old February 24th, 2013 (7:21 PM).
          NERF THIS!

Thank you guys for the feedback, it was really helpful! :D

Also, I was thinking about that idea someone had for a monotype challenge for Conquest.I'm just playing through it now, and I'd think monotyping to get through the main game or whatever would be enough - it wouldn't be a very long challenge, but that's not a big deal. Also I thought... why couldn't other challenges be formatted for conquest? there could easily be an NFE challenge, a Nuzlocke challenge (you can only link with one pokemon in a kingdom, if the pokemon you're controlling faints then you can't use that warrior/warlord - Oichi or the Hero/Heroine fainting equals game over etc) and so on.

I personally think it'd be cool if we just had an "Ultimate Conquest Challenge" thread, where there are several different ones, and the ultimate version would be you do all of them.
          Old February 24th, 2013 (7:40 PM).
          la justice

Don't know a thing about (insert Adele performance at the Oscars ignoring this thread now) Conquest but I would be fine with one thread for all Conquest challenges. If it gets too hectic to run them all in one thread, we could lock it and split them all up into separate threads.

Old February 24th, 2013 (9:39 PM).
          Challenge God

Nature: Sassy
            ZombieMyrrh back from the dead and whatnot.

I like Golurk's idea. Need to do Conquest for the P3 Challenge and I just feel like playing it a bunch. As for one thread for all the conquest challenges, we should either do that or just add Conquest to all of the challenges that we have now (monotype, nuzzy, etc.) upon request.
            Old February 25th, 2013 (12:16 AM).

So guys. I need help coming up with March's monthly challenge for my subreddit. I'm on a blank at the moment. Maybe you get drunk, and choose six Pokemon under the influence, and use that team?

That is a horrible idea.

Supporter of crappy banners
              Old February 25th, 2013 (7:33 PM).
              I AM THE REAL SONIC

So, I got run off the first page of blogs by everyone freaking out about the new green names. So I still need two more party members for what I call Community Run. It's very similar in style to HoF, but only one team is chosen. I was gonna try to let it happen naturally, but now I think I need y'all's help.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7539291&postcount=63
              Old February 25th, 2013 (7:36 PM).
              la justice

Quote:
              So guys. I need help coming up with March's monthly challenge for my subreddit. I'm on a blank at the moment. Maybe you get drunk, and choose six Pokemon under the influence, and use that team?
              Although we won't be having it this March, we had a St. Patrick's Day event in 2011, the first challenge event actually, so you could use it. Link to it in the FAQ. If you don't like that idea, you could make an Easter challenge that involves using random eggs.

Old February 25th, 2013 (11:45 PM).

hey, Sydian, mind if I take over the Randomized Nuzlocke? o.o

Old February 26th, 2013 (8:32 AM).
              la justice

Someone already contacted me about it last night and submitted the thread, sorry. ;(

Old February 26th, 2013 (8:41 AM).

eh it's fine then ^^"
              the good stuff usually happens when it's night time over here anyways xD

Old February 26th, 2013 (8:44 AM).
              la justice

All the crap happens when I'm asleep sadly. :| UGH!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply