• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] Ash was kind of an a**hole to Rotom

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I just swapped to the sub cuz I couldn't be asked to wait anymore. Three episodes in, I reach the episode where Rotom is doing that Detective stuff and was told that he would go overseas yadadada and doesn't know when he would return.

In all honesty, Ash's response was not like him at all. I get the reaction but he was being an a**hole to Rotom, I mean the entire time we watched the anime he was passionate af about the show, finally got the chance to meet him and was offered to go film with him.

Ash was completely denying him that dream by trying to catch him. CATCH HIM.

Thoughts?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ash might've gone a little too far in trying to catch Rotom, but I don't think it was really out of his character. I'd have to watch the episode again to really explain it properly, but Ash has been a brat about things before. To me I think it was really the shock that they've spent all this time together and then oh suddenly there was going to be this change and he wasn't ready to deal with it and didn't have time to process it (while compared to the other times he's has a Pokemon move on or be released something happened and allowed him the time to really process it).

At least, that's the best I can explain it without going and reviewing the episode hahah.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Yeah I guess I could see that. What really caught me off guard and threw off his character for me was when he started throwing the pokeball attempting to catch him. I didn't know exactly how he would coup with it, but I mean he didn't do that with Poipol when he released him,

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
With Poipole it was different circumstances! It wanted to stay behind to help protect its world which is something Ash can relate and understand. After all he's had several Pokemon in previous series do the same thing (Goodra, Pidgeot, Greninja, etc). So while i still need to rewatch the one with Rotom thats why Poipoles was vastly different.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
This isn't really relevant but another thing I've noticed in the sub for Alola is that it re-used the XYZ track, I found that kind of weird to find that in the series. It definitely fit the context because the music was proper, just felt confused hearing it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I just swapped to the sub cuz I couldn't be asked to wait anymore. Three episodes in, I reach the episode where Rotom is doing that Detective stuff and was told that he would go overseas yadadada and doesn't know when he would return.

In all honesty, Ash's response was not like him at all. I get the reaction but he was being an a**hole to Rotom, I mean the entire time we watched the anime he was passionate af about the show, finally got the chance to meet him and was offered to go film with him.

Ash was completely denying him that dream by trying to catch him. CATCH HIM.

Thoughts?

Couldn't wait three more days for it to start huh? As for the Episode itself, it was a bit out of character for him but as has already been mentioned, he was rather blindsided by it and acted in an immature selfish fashion(which with respect to immaturity is par for the course for him this series). It's the fact he wasn't prepared for it is why he acted the way he did.

Speaking of the dub though, it starts 9am Saturday with a new Episode airing every day at that same time! Episodes are re-aired at 3:30pm during weekdays and I think 8pm on weekends during their 1 Episode/day run(which is March 23rd to March 30th). After that I'm assuming they go back to their normal schedule.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Thing is, I don't mind watching the dub, but I've decided that I don't want to wait around for the dub for the Galar region. I just want to get straight into it. It feels weird adjusting the voices but I'm getting there over time.

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
Years
Welcome to the dark side dude. :D Once you get used to the sub, it is like you aren't even reading it at all, and the Voice Acting are so much better. So I hope you enjoy it. Haven't seen that episode yet, I wanted to wait until a few more came out I guess. It isn't really out of Ash's character though. Rotom wanting to leave was pretty much out of the blue, while his other Pokemon had time for Ash to think about it. Also, how would you feel if a friend decided to just up and leave at the first opportunity?

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
Ash was wildly out of character if you take the fact he didn't get angry when other pokémon had to leave or wanted to do their own thing

Butterfree, Primeape, Lapras, Charizard, Goodra, Greninja, etc

Only taking SM into account...still an extremely poor showing, which is nothing new

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ash was wildly out of character if you take the fact he didn't get angry when other pokémon had to leave or wanted to do their own thing

Butterfree, Primeape, Lapras, Charizard, Goodra, Greninja, etc

Only taking SM into account...still an extremely poor showing, which is nothing new

Once again every one of those he had time to process it and they're reasonings were also all to protect, go back with family, or he had a whole episode to see that it is what the Pokemon wanted. It wasn't super sudden like Rotom.

I will agree that it was a little too much, but I disagree that you can compare it with the release of any of his other Pokemon (all of which he did own and the thing that set Rotom off is that it was never captured so it can do whatever it wants).

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Welcome to the dark side dude. :D Once you get used to the sub, it is like you aren't even reading it at all, and the Voice Acting are so much better. So I hope you enjoy it. Haven't seen that episode yet, I wanted to wait until a few more came out I guess. It isn't really out of Ash's character though. Rotom wanting to leave was pretty much out of the blue, while his other Pokemon had time for Ash to think about it. Also, how would you feel if a friend decided to just up and leave at the first opportunity?

That is true, I can empathize with him in some way, as I did try and do the same thing to one of my close friends.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I love that the anime had gone back to being expressive! Best Wishes was kinda expressive but the animation limited it for some reason and although everyone likes Ash XY for being competent I feel like there were other aspects of his personality that were missing.

So call this an unpopular opinion or whatever but Ash's character is just fine in Alolan. It's a more solid balance between his confident, competent attitude while also bringing back his more friendly, laid-back, and expressive part of him. And, not to mention, the brat that Ash can be at times because if you watched any series other than XY Ash can be fairly bratty at times. That said in my opinion if you're going to call out Alolan Ash for being different then you ought to call XY!Ash for being too stoic at times. The lack of interactions with his Pokemon (and most importantly Pikachu) hurt sometimes. I'm so so glad to see Ash and Pikachu acting more like themselves to each other and Pikachu being more than just a Pokemon that rides on his shoulder half the time.

(now, i'm talking XY!Ash in the whole series. I know there are interactions between him and his Pokemon and Pikachu -- I even made gifsets -- but compared to the other series prior XY was seriously lacking in the Pokemon interaction department).

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I feel that most people liked the XYZ Ash was because that's where he didn't have his "Kid" Personality. Sure there were still aspects of it there, but less than usually. That's probably why most who did enjoy the series liked Ash for it, that there some sense of maturity and growing up of the character, or at least that's how I see it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
What anime are you watching.

Honestly if all you're going to do it complain about everything that isn't the original series in every post then I suggest you find a different place to do it. Because not only in that post are you getting Ash's character wrong (ironically in a thread about his characterization), you're being intoxicating.

( consider this a verbal warning from your resident mod)

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
I'm not suprised that Ash Ketchup is an a**hole, when his team evolved he released them, first Butterfree then Primeape, then Pidgeot, man i geuss we shall stuck with that annoying pikarat for another 10 years

I don't see how any of those releases make him an asshole...

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
You guys, please keep the discussion civilized and appropriate... opinions are fine, but keep your behaviour within the rules. Thank you!

Back