• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Game style you'd be the most interested in

Which battle system is your favorite

• Turn based Traditional (Pokemon Main Series)

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Turn based Grid (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top Down Action/Shooter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2019
This is several open questions to gauge where i should spend my time:

I've toyed with the idea of making a fangame, but all of the current options are limiting in ways i don't like. i bit the bullet and started teaching myself java so i can make my own system without the restrictions.

Of my questions, the first is how battles should play. this is an expansion/explanation of the main poll:

1. vanilla turn by turn (like main series pokemon games)
    this option would be just how you expect: one move per turn, traditional stats, back and forth until someone wins.
    although a lot would be balanced out and changed, this is the closest option to vanilla pokemon. it's also the easiest to make given that the majority of its systems can be made with the rudimentary java i've already learned
  2. grid based, top-down turn by turn (like the mystery dungeon series or yugioh capsule monsters)
    this would play more like chess and focus on large scale strategy over small scale strategy. it would be harder, although not impossible to implement, and once made would have a fair amount more depth than the first option.
  3. Top-down action/shooter (like torchlight or league of legends)
    referring to battles only, not the game genre as a whole. no turns, nothing fixed, your character would move around freely, attack freely, dodge freely. aim and timing would be important. it would be a completely different feel compared to the first two options.
    this is the hardest and most time consuming though, and the one i least know how to do.

nintendo has the worst record i know in censoring fan games. my next question is whether it should even be a "pokemon" game:

it could just as easily be a monster capture game with no relation to pokemon so that there wouldn't be any risk of a cease and desist.

it could be a collection of fakemon (which should be legal in a homemade game engine)

i could format everything as tools to make games rather than a game itself, so that once finished it would be easy enough to flesh it out with whatever content you want, pokemon included. basically like rpgmaker 2.0

Lastly, is there a demand for this? would you want to play bootleg java pokemon?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I like either of the first two options.

As for your second question: in my own project I'm doing something similar, I'm prototyping it with real Pok?mon but with the intention to switch all that content out for original stuff once it's all working. My thinking was that it's easier to focus on making the game work, and then focusing on balance; rather than doing both at the same time.

Last edited:
Back