• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Type?

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
There likely is no single answer to this that everyone would agree on, but I'd like to hear some opinions as to preferred types. Personally, I've long stood by Psychic and Ghost; they're only weak against each other, Bug, and Dark, and they're generally very fast and powerful. Also, they learn some extremely useful attacks (e.g., Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Dream Eater, Psybeam, etc.) within those two types alone (and can generally learn the other's moves), and Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon are also typically capable of being taught a wide range of useful moves from other types (e.g., my Haunter knows Giga Drain, my Kadabra knows Thunderbolt, my Mewtwo knows Aura Sphere and Ice Beam, etc.). Ghost-types also have the advantage of being immune to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks (though, of course, Normal-types are also immune to Ghost-type attacks; though, of course, this is not an obstacle if the Ghost knows a powerful move of a different type).

Alright, any thoughts?

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Every type has it's advantages/disadvantages & it's own niche in different battles, but I'd have to agree with you about Psychic & Ghost being dominating types due to their limited weaknesses and variety of attacks. I would suggest throwing in Steel and Dragon as well. Psychic, Steel, Dragon, Ghost, and Dark.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
I realize that water is not by any stretch the "Best" type, but it is my favorite. And when you look at some of the type combinations that have gone with water Pokemon, there are a number of them that can be beast.
If I had to go with the best, it would without a doubt be Psychic. Seriously. I still remember my Gen I Alakazam beasting its way through anything that dared to cross me.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Water. Among its mere two weaknesses, Grass is weak anyway and easily overcome by access to Ice moves (which, incidentally, serve well against Dragons that might otherwise outlast Waters). It synergises well as part of a duo, most notably Water-Ground. It's one of the few types not resisted by Steel. Movepool variety is at least average. Statistical averages are well-rounded. So, if I had to go with one type to do everything and wanted to win, it would probably be Water.

The majorly contending types have some outstanding issues that Water appears to lack:
- Psychics are almost exclusively glass cannons, relatively speaking, especially versus physical attacks, a weakness compounded by Dark being a strongly offensive type and Bite/Crunch being widely available to non-Darks. A concession could be made for Psychic-Steel dualtypes but that's about it.
- Steel has a similar problem to Psychic, but with special attacks and Fire. The weakness to Fire is, like the Dragon weakness to Ice, nigh inescapable. They are none the less durable, but generally lack strong STAB attacks (inb4 Magnezone/Steelix) with Steel itself being a poor type for an offensive move anyway.
- Most Dragons sport a double weakness to Ice, so while they are effective in most situations they fall flat against a very obvious counter that will show up sooner or later in force.
- Normal. Now, this is the one people never really see coming until a Slaking steamrolls them. I would regard it on par with Water due to Normals' utility capability possibly making up for their consistent weakness to Fighting, but I don't feel familiar enough with the type to justify its particulars.

Personally, I've long stood by Psychic and Ghost; they're only weak against each other [...]
Before this misconception spreads any further I must point out that Ghost is defensively neutral against Psychic and that this has always been the case. The Gastly line is part Poison.

Last edited:

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Cassino, excellent reply. I'll firstly note that it is odd, your objection to the mutual Ghost-Psychic effectiveness; I was following what you had said... until I played some Pokémon Ruby Version and fought several Duskull at Mt. Pyre with my Kadabra, to find that Psybeam was super-effective. How do you explain that? (The same was true when I later fought a trainer with a Dusklops and a Banette.) I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your assessment of things, however I was intrigued by the battles: they certainly appeared to bear out my former understanding of the Psychic-Ghost relationship. Perhaps this all has something to do with the type effectiveness changes made in Generation II? It seems more and more I find that this has confused many people.

In any case, to get to the matter of Water-types. I agree that, indeed, Water-type Pokémon have only two real weaknesses; however, these weaknesses must be acknowledged as being rather severe weaknesses. Yes, Grass-types are, in general, relatively weak, and but, for example, Electric-types are an extreme danger for Water-types. This can be rectified by a secondary type of Ground, of course, however that simultaneously heightens the threat from Grass-types and, considering examples like Quagsire and Whiskash, lowers speed and attack power.

Water-types also learn comparatively few useful attacks to Pokémon of other types; the most powerful Water-type attacks (arguably Surf, Hydro Pump, Scald, and Dive are the principal contenders) are relatively bland, with few additional effects, and effectiveness against only a select few types. While Ice-type attacks (in general, most useful) can indeed be learned by many Water Pokémon, and thus can be effective in battles against otherwise domineering Dragon-types, Dragon Pokémon can, in my view, be considered a more well-rounded and powerful type, given that most Dragon-types can learn useful Electric attacks such as Thunder and Thunderbolt, which, considering the factors of Water-types' typically-low speed and Dragon-types' typically high speed, would almost certainly lead to any Water Pokémon without Ground as a secondary type being defeated in one move. The same dilemma arises when faced with my preferred types: Psychic and Ghost. Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokémon are typically very fast, and can learn a wide variety of Electric and Grass attacks, as well as powerful moves such as Psychic and Shadow Ball which, despite being neutral in regard to most Water-types, can in most cases win a battle in as few as one or two moves. Factoring in the various debilitating effects of paralysis, confusion, sleep, etc. which the majority of Ghost- and Psychic-type attacks can inflict with ease, I stand by them, for sure.

Psychic- and Ghost-types may indeed be weak against Bug- and Dark-types, but the vast array of moves which are available to be learned by Ghost and Psychic Pokémon allow them to easily overcome these dangers. For instance, a Ghost- or Psychic-type equipped with moves such as Hypnosis and Confuse Ray can quickly incapacitate even Dark types (made simpler by the high speed of Ghost and Psychic Pokémon), and provided moves such as Night Shade, or moves of other types (which, as I say, can be easily learned by many Ghost- and Psychic-types) are known, then Dark and Bug Pokémon needn't be terribly threatening (particularly when one keeps in mind the relatively low defense of Bug- and Dark-types).

I maintain that Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokémon are the two most all-around powerful types, in terms of stats, moves, etc. Dragon is a close third in my book.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There are five best types: Dragon, Water, Fighting, Steel, and Ground. All of which are extremely common in the metagame.

Nothing except Steel resists Dragon type, but because Dragons can breathe fire, they're equiped with Fire moves to kill them thus retaining their indestructible play style.

Cassino pretty much summed up about Water, thought he forgot to mention how broken Rain Dance is.

Fighting types have become the new Psychic types because of Conkeldurr and Terrakion (followed by the upgraded High Jump Kick). Because of Stealth Rock hindering Flying types and too few Psychic types in OU, Fighting types are all over the place.

Steel is almost a must as secondary types for Pokemon in order to get use in the metagame, especially for those with Stealth Rock weaknesses.

Ground is one of the best because of the ever popular move Earthquake, and like Steel and Fighting, it resists Stealth Rock, making it a must as secondary types for Pokemon.

Years
I'd say Water, Psychic and Ghost.

Water-types are always handy in-game since most can learn Ice attacks to counter Grass while also hitting hard on Dragon. Water/Ground, seen on Pokemon such as Quagsire, Whiscash and Seismitoad is one of the best defensive type combinations, with only a single weakness (Grass, but that will knock it out in one hit anyway) not to mention Quagsire with Water Absorb is one of the best walls to Kyogre since it will be immune to its most used attacks. Also, Rain teams got buffed in competitive play thanks to Politoed getting Drizzle, thus making Politoed seen on a lot of Rain teams lately.

Psychics tend to have high Special Attack and Speed, plus most have good movepools. Some can even learn moves that counter their own weaknesses, such as a few learning Focus Blast and Signal Beam to render their Dark weakness useless and they also have Shadow Ball to handle Ghost-types. They don't have many counters to Bug though, so I guess Bug is their major weakness, unless if the Psychic in question is paired with a type that resists Bug, like Steel (Bronzong, Jirachi, Metagross), Fire (Victini), Rock (Lunatone and Solrock) or Flying (Lugia, Sigilyph, Xatu and Swoobat).

Ghosts also have high Special Attack, and two immunities (Normal and Fighting). Most even have secondary typings that give it more moves to handle. In fact, the non-Legendary with the highest base Special Attack stat happens to be a Ghost-type, the part-Fire Chandelure. It has Special Attack equal to Reshiram's. Most Ghosts can also learn Psychic and a few other debilitating moves. They also only have two weaknesses, making them useful in battle.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
For me, I think Water type is the best since they could learn Ice move to cover their own weaknesses to Grass types. Psychic is also the best since they could counter Dark-types with Miracle Eye move.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Ever since I got into the series I've always favored water type Pokemon. Most of them are blue, which is my favorite color, and water types are great for battles (for the very reasons that Cassino mentioned).

I also like dragon, steel, and physic. Dragon types are some of the most powerful and coolest in the series but they're a liability against ice type pokemon. Some of my favorite Pokemon (Scizor and Empoleon) are steel types so that's why I like them so much, but I don't see a lot of diversity in their movesets (I think most of them have horrible special atk stats). And physic types have some of the best Special stats in the game but their physical stats make them a liability.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I couldn't even begin to formulate an argument for why a particular type was "the best", but I personally find endless use in Fire-type Pokémon. Once I have a good one on my team, battles just seem so much easier.

Although that is a good point about Water-types being able to learn some Ice-type moves to cover their weakness to Grass-types.

Also, since using a Lucario most of the way through Black 2, I have warmed to the Steel-type a lot. Prior to that, I didn't see much value to it, but those resistances are hard to ignore! I don't think I ever lost a fight with my Lucario :3

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
The best type is whichever type is resistant to and/or STAB super-effective to the type that you're currently facing.

Really. I don't say that to be contrary, but because it's true, and it's a truth that many players seem to miss. It's not a coincidence that you have a team of six and it's not a coincidence that you can switch in battle. EVERY type has weaknesses and EVERY type has strengths. Therefore, self-evidently, the best type is whatever type serves the current purpose of fighting the current opponent, and if the next opponent is strong to that type, that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the type - it just means you've got the wrong pokemon in.

Personally, I like Grasses. And Waters. And Crobat. :D

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I personally love ghost Pokemon. It's unfortunate that not many have been released throughout the series, but I love how they're resistant to most, if not all, physical type moves.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Water and Ground. Evident by the fact that a lot of Pokemon are both these types, and are very useful. Its nice to have a good moveset along with a good typing, and these 2 types just fit the role perfectly. Water has a lot of secondary typing that null or completely lose any real weaknesses, and ground is a bit more then that. Ground can easily give you bulky Pokemon along with a good type advantage thanks to the fact that we basically have most of the types combined with it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
My favourite (I think best is too objective for something that's inherently personal such as this) type is Water. My favourite Pokemon move is Water-type (Surf); three of my favourite Pokemon are Water-types (Lanturn, Kingdra and Milotic), more than any other type; it's great to use in battle; most Water-critters have great designs. Yeah, for me, there's no beating Water: Psychic comes closest, but it's not that close, when I really think about it.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
The best type is grass without a doubt.

I'm kidding of course, but I really think the best type is dragon. I mean they have good stats, few weaknesses, can learn moves to cover weaknesses, and have strong STAB moves.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Hmm, a puzzle. I know psychic has been mentioned, but they get crippled but Physical moves, making them extremely fragile. I'll say Dragon is the most powerful type. It's no coincidence that many dragon Pokemon have high base stat totals, I believe that they are trying to make it the stronger type by doing so. Dragons have the highest base stat average. Added with only 2 weaknesses, quite a few resistances and extremely powerful STAB moves that are resisted by only Steel, they cab't be beat imo.

While Psychic may share many of the above, Dragon has a few things over it. Dragons are normally quite durable due to having only two weaknesses and resisting 4 types, while having better defences and abilities like multiscale to help that. I'll say it again, most psychics are extremely fragile when attacked physically. Psychic nor Dragon are built to tank though, so offence is more important. This is where dragon really beats Psychic. There are moves for Special and Physical dragons, while Psychics have to stick with Special. This makes Dragons more versatile and unpredictable. Dragons have great support moves too, like SD and DD. They have awesome STAB moves like Outrage, Dracometer, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw, Dragon Rush and so on.

So tl;dr, Dragon types are more rounded and unpredictable, as well as harder to wall, since their STAB is only resisted by one type.

Years
My favorite would be ground, It's not the best but the ground Pokemon look so tough and Earthquake is my favorite move..

Dragon would have the strongest pokemon overal and the type itself is quite solid only weaknesses to Ice and Dragon and resist the 3 basic types also because dragons are basicly strong they won't go down with one normal hit

Electric type is also a good type with only weakness to ground and they are often fast and have high special attack which makes them good sweepers but the thing they lack is defensive stats which they could be easily taken out by normal stab hits.

I think the strongest is dragon but it was ment for them to be the strongest since gen 1
besides dragon I think Ghost is a pretty solid type

Evey

Female Red
Years
Water and Fire Types have strong devastating attacks but Psychics have a more broad spectrum of effects on other Pokemon. Personally Fire and Psychic Pokemon are the best for me.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
My favourite (I think best is too objective for something that's inherently personal such as this) type is Water. My favourite Pokemon move is Water-type (Surf); three of my favourite Pokemon are Water-types (Lanturn, Kingdra and Milotic), more than any other type; it's great to use in battle; most Water-critters have great designs. Yeah, for me, there's no beating Water: Psychic comes closest, but it's not that close, when I really think about it.
My favourite type isn't Water, and that was my answer. I would imagine that the point of this thread is to reach an objective conclusion, or if that's not possible then to at least demonstrate so.

In that light, well done GhastlyGastly, I'm having trouble making a substantial answer to your reply. I will say however that Water-types are a bit more defensive and thought-provoking than the powerhouse types. With Psychic/Ghost/Dragon the strengths are readily evident; this is less so with Water and Normal. You may want to practice using them and see what you think thereafter... though I could also tell myself the same regarding Ghosts. You do seem to be answering for both Ghost and Psychic though; what if you had to pick one? Can you argue Ghost's superiority to Psychic (or vice versa)?

In any case, to get to the matter of Water-types. I agree that, indeed, Water-type Pokémon have only two real weaknesses; however, these weaknesses must be acknowledged as being rather severe weaknesses. Yes, Grass-types are, in general, relatively weak, and but, for example, Electric-types are an extreme danger for Water-types. This can be rectified by a secondary type of Ground, of course, however that simultaneously heightens the threat from Grass-types and, considering examples like Quagsire and Whiskash, lowers speed and attack power.
But are Water's weaknesses actually more severe than those of other types?
Electric and Grass can rarely if ever use moves of each other's types, so a Water counter can generally match them on a one-to-one basis.

Back