• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it possible to have animated battles?

Years
I dunno if it's possible to animate the pokemon in the rpg maker xp program. I know that it is possible in VX and VX Ace, however, in my long search I haven't found my answer. So here I am now asking, is it possible to animate them? I know rpgm doesn't support gifs so you have to add the sprites from scratch. But I'm still at doubt if rmxp is able to support the animations, or if there is anyway to add them.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Well, that is most certainly interesting to know. Also, does it require a script or just the insertion is enough?

.gifs work perfectly fine as battler sprites without any scripting changes, however they do freeze up a lot whenever an animation is playing or anything is working in the game pretty much. There is a way to fix this though, I don't remember exactly what it was. Search this forum for "animated battlers" or something like that and look through the posts where other people have asked this same question

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
.gifs work perfectly fine as battler sprites without any scripting changes, however they do freeze up a lot whenever an animation is playing or anything is working in the game pretty much. There is a way to fix this though, I don't remember exactly what it was. Search this forum for "animated battlers" or something like that and look through the posts where other people have asked this same question

This is not entirely correct. I am using the sprites in my signature just fine and they are anywhere from 40-200 frames for the file. The issues that I habe had were related to the image files being way too large when scaled up, mainly the backsprites. That can be fixed by just adjusting the zoom and not doubling the size of the sprites and keeping them below 200x200.

It can be done, at least I have not had any issues that have not been fixable.

Years
This is not entirely correct. I am using the sprites in my signature just fine and they are anywhere from 40-200 frames for the file. The issues that I habe had were related to the image files being way too large when scaled up, mainly the backsprites. That can be fixed by just adjusting the zoom and not doubling the size of the sprites and keeping them below 200x200.

It can be done, at least I have not had any issues that have not been fixable.

So it is possible then as long as the size is correct and they're positioned correct. But doesn't it require a full sprite sheet of the Pokemon and its movements? I tried inserting one but all it did was sit still.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
So it is possible then as long as the size is correct and they're positioned correct. But doesn't it require a full sprite sheet of the Pokemon and its movements? I tried inserting one but all it did was sit still.

You need to rewrite pokemonbattlersprite to use .gif files and then use a gif file as the animation.

The size can be whatever you want, but keep in mind, the larger the file, the more lag you will have and the lag is harder to avoid with gifs than a .png file. It is pretty temperamental.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
The reason you need to re-write the class to load GifSprites instead of regular Sprites, is that the bitmaps of regular Sprites get dumped into the system cache. This causes several problems. Another issue is the lag you encounter while initializing GIFs using normal bitmap methods. This question has been asked and answered several times. Please check this link out before you do anything else.

You can do all sorts of stuff in RMXP with Essentials.

Years
Thank you, that most recently did help. I added all of the animated sprite unto the game. However, there's one error that occurs when repositioning them. Also the backsprites seem to be too big.

This is the error that pops up:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: RGSSError

BitmapCache:318:in `initialize'

BitmapCache:318:in `initialize'

SpriteWindow:819:in `new'

SpriteWindow:819:in `initialize'

SpriteWindow:815:in `each'

SpriteWindow:815:in `initialize'

SpriteWindow:805:in `chdir'

SpriteWindow:805:in `initialize'

SpriteWindow:222:in `new'

SpriteWindow:222:in `initialize'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Thank you, that most recently did help. I added all of the animated sprite unto the game. However, there's one error that occurs when repositioning them. Also the backsprites seem to be too big.

Again, same problem. Your editor is trying to load GIFs as normal Sprite bitmaps, instead of the GifSprite bitmaps. GIFs are too large, and the program just crashes. You need to change the Editor script from regular sprites to GifSprites. That way, you'd have far less issues.

Years
Again, same problem. Your editor is trying to load GIFs as normal Sprite bitmaps, instead of the GifSprite bitmaps. GIFs are too large, and the program just crashes. You need to change the Editor script from regular sprites to GifSprites. That way, you'd have far less issues.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot but which one is that? I'm confused on what script it is and what it is that should be edited in it. I'm not a scripter so my knowledge is limited. I dunno what it is that I have to change exactly.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2016
Are you guys sure on this one? I'm just using ordinary .gif's and they're working fine :P

Back