• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Pokémon Emerald Weather Hacking

kapparill

kapparill#8871
Years
Hello!
I am working on a semi-custom ROM Hack for Pokémon Emerald, and I want to change the palette for the sandstorm particles to make it look like a blizzard, and to change text offsets to display 'A blizzard is raging/hail continues to fall'.

So what I am to achieve is:
1. To edit weather palettes without breaking the game (as last time I tried to did break the game, I got a white screen.)
2. Find weather information text offsets for editing.
3. Change default weather effects for a specific area.
4. Fix the unfinished weather effects and possibly replace them with something new.
and finally,
5. To edit the weather effects to affect the correct Pokémon.

If anyone wants to help out, that would be appreciated. I will upload information I have found when I get home.
Cheers.

kapparill

kapparill#8871
Years
Hello, so I have found the offsets of the weather effects sprite, and with the help of a previous weather-related thread, the palette too.

Here are the offsets:
Sprite/picture: 54dad0
Palette: 54c270 (credit to Artemis64)

The sprite appears to be uncompressed, which Artemis64's source backed up. I wish I found his information before looking for the sprite, I feel silly now!

These are standard for a regular, untrimmed Pokemon Emerald (BPEE) ROM. I still aim to find the offsets for weather effects, and will keep posted as part of my log.
Cheers

Back