• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FBI's HM type-check hack

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
...what?

Not really sure what you're getting at here. I'm well aware of the post you linked, I used FBI's work to make this.

Please explain what bug you are seeing in the hack. If there is a bug, I'd like to confirm the fix, but I don't understand what you're trying to fix here.

When you open the menu is Restarts

When you start a game and open the menu restarts, you send that page is for you to check and mend the error, If you want good haha xD , alone Help wanted .

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
When you open the menu is Restarts

When you start a game and open the menu restarts, you send that page is for you to check and mend the error, If you want good haha xD , alone Help wanted .

Definitely not a bug. If the game restarts when you open the menu, it means the hack has been applied wrong. This is usually a symptom of incorrectly pointing to an ASM routine.

Did you use the patch I provided, or did you apply things on your own? Please download the patch, patch it to a clean ROM and try again.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Is there any way you can make it so you still need a badge to use these moves? For example after having the first gym badge, your fighting pokemon can use rock smash?

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Is there any way you can make it so you still need a badge to use these moves? For example after having the first gym badge, your fighting pokemon can use rock smash?

Yes. From the Advanced Usage section of the OP:

Each new HM script has two flag checks that allow you to enable/disable the HM with events in the game. First, there's a flag that controls whether or not the new HM check system itself is active. If this flag is cleared, the HMs will behave exactly as they do in vanilla FR. However, if you set the flag, they'll use the new system of checks instead. ...

Also, each script checks a second, individual flag beforehand, so you can make them dependent on badges as well if you want. I've set the flag for each one again to 0x828 so they're immediately active by default, but like the overall enable/disable flag above, this is easily changeable. If you want to use a different flag, simply go to each offset specified below and overwrite the existing two bytes with the reverse hex of the flag you want to check instead:

Code:
Surf - 0x7602D8
Waterfall - 0x76038D
Cut - 0x7600DF
Rock Smash - 0x76016D
Strength - 0x7601FD
Flash - 0x760044
Fly - 0x76055C

Emphasis mine. If you wanted the first Gym badge to allow Rock Smash, all you'd need to do is go to 0x76016D and paste-write 20 08 (the reverse hex of the first badge flag, 0x820).

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Yes. From the Advanced Usage section of the OP:

Emphasis mine. If you wanted the first Gym badge to allow Rock Smash, all you'd need to do is go to 0x76016D and paste-write 20 08 (the reverse hex of the first badge flag, 0x820).

I think I understand. I'm not confident in hex editing but I suppose all I need to do is search for the correct offset and replace the first two bytes with 20 08, for the first badge at least.

You know, it might be a good idea to do a version of this patch where you still need badges too. At a later date, if you think it would not take long. It seems like something people would use as it would stop players from getting to places they shouldn't before the right time.

I'll do my best to implement what you said first though.

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
I think I understand. I'm not confident in hex editing but I suppose all I need to do is search for the correct offset and replace the first two bytes with 20 08, for the first badge at least.

You know, it might be a good idea to do a version of this patch where you still need badges too. At a later date, if you think it would not take long. It seems like something people would use as it would stop players from getting to places they shouldn't before the right time.

I'll do my best to implement what you said first though.

Unfortunately, you really have to learn basic hex editing if you want to be a successful hacker. In a perfect world, it'd be obsolete, but unfortunately we're still pretty far from that. Any edits that there aren't already existing tools for have to be done through hex. Fortunately a huge amount of the important/useful offsets are documented.

And I'd rather leave this hack the way it is, with optional badge checks, to avoid fragmenting if I ever have to release an update. It actually took a fair amount of work and thought to do it this way - my first draft didn't have badge checks at all, I rewrote it to add them for situations just like this.

If you have trouble or you just want some help getting start with hex editing, send me a PM. I'd be happy to teach you the basics, just don't want to turn this thread into an off-topic tutorial.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Unfortunately, you really have to learn basic hex editing if you want to be a successful hacker. In a perfect world, it'd be obsolete, but unfortunately we're still pretty far from that. Any edits that there aren't already existing tools for have to be done through hex. Fortunately a huge amount of the important/useful offsets are documented.

And I'd rather leave this hack the way it is, with optional badge checks, to avoid fragmenting if I ever have to release an update. It actually took a fair amount of work and thought to do it this way - my first draft didn't have badge checks at all, I rewrote it to add them for situations just like this.

If you have trouble or you just want some help getting start with hex editing, send me a PM. I'd be happy to teach you the basics, just don't want to turn this thread into an off-topic tutorial.

Oh, I definitely want to learn, I just find it a little confusing but hopefully once I manage to install the english version of HxD I can begin following a few tutorials out there. It's funny because when I first started back when there were very few tools (probably eight years ago, I obviously took a break), I don't think hex editing was all that widely known. It's been a long time and I'm having to relearn the basics first too because of everything that has changed and developed. I mean, look at all of these wonderful bases and patches!

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Its an amazing work!
I have a question though....
I was somehow clear at the first but got confused though after reading replies....
You said grass pokemon use cut but is there any chance than non-grass types like charmander can also use cut (even from the summary menu)

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Its an amazing work!
I have a question though....
I was somehow clear at the first but got confused though after reading replies....
You said grass pokemon use cut but is there any chance than non-grass types like charmander can also use cut (even from the summary menu)

In the current implementation, I have not changed how HMs can be used from the Pokemon menu, only how they can be used directly in the overworld by interacting with objects.

So, if you have a Bulbasaur who doesn't know Cut, you can Cut trees by interacting with them, but you won't find Cut in the options for Bulbasaur in the Pokemon menu.

If you have a Charmander who knows Cut, you WON'T be able to Cut trees by interacting with them, but you WILL be able to Cut through the options for Charmander in the Pokemon menu.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
In the current implementation, I have not changed how HMs can be used from the Pokemon menu, only how they can be used directly in the overworld by interacting with objects.

So, if you have a Bulbasaur who doesn't know Cut, you can Cut trees by interacting with them, but you won't find Cut in the options for Bulbasaur in the Pokemon menu.

If you have a Charmander who knows Cut, you WON'T be able to Cut trees by interacting with them, but you WILL be able to Cut through the options for Charmander in the Pokemon menu.

Thanks got what i wanted to know

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
I've found a problem, the system is working, but when I use the HMs the first pokémon in my party appears using it, except Flash.

FIXED: Removing the line "setvar 0x4001 LASTRESULT" of each script, and changing "bufferpartypokemon 0x0 LASTRESULT" & "setanimation 0x0 LASTRESULT" to "bufferpartypokemon 0x0 0x4001" & "setanimation 0x0 0x4001", respectively, of each script.

EDIT: I made a patch of the default settings of Uncommon's thread, but with some bug fixes for someone who has found some bugs:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9510044

Last edited:

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
I've found a problem, the system is working, but when I use the HMs the first pokémon in my party appears using it, except Flash.

FIXED: Removing the line "setvar 0x4001 LASTRESULT" of each script, and changing "bufferpartypokemon 0x0 LASTRESULT" & "setanimation 0x0 LASTRESULT" to "bufferpartypokemon 0x0 0x4001" & "setanimation 0x0 0x4001", respectively, of each script.

I would like to test to confirm this, but I want to say thank you for taking the time to actually report what the bug is, along with your fix! I have not tested it yet but that sounds totally reasonable. I did my initial testing with only one Pokemon in the party so I would not have seen this bug.

I will test when I get a chance, and if that confirms the bug and the fix, I'll update the patch and add you to the credits.

There is way to pass it to Ruby and emerald

Is there an Emerald version of this check?

No, this is FireRed only, and I have no plans to port it. The source code is all there in the OP if anyone wants to try.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
I would like to test to confirm this, but I want to say thank you for taking the time to actually report what the bug is, along with your fix! I have not tested it yet but that sounds totally reasonable. I did my initial testing with only one Pokemon in the party so I would not have seen this bug.

I will test when I get a chance, and if that confirms the bug and the fix, I'll update the patch and add you to the credits.

Thank you, I've started a thread to connect with your thread, with all my addons for this resource. ^^
When my thread is approved I will redirect my post to it.

EDIT: I found another odd thing, it happens only when I apply your patch:
Spoiler:

These overworlds becomes bugged, but only with this map.

Last edited:

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Thank you, I've started a thread to connect with your thread, with all my addons for this resource. ^^
When my thread is approved I will redirect my post to it.

EDIT: I found another odd thing, it happens only when I apply your patch:
Spoiler:

These overworlds becomes bugged, but only with this map.

I finally had some time to test. I have confirmed the bug, it is exactly as you said, the animation shows (and announces) the first Pokemon in your party using the HM move, rather than the Pokemon with the correct type.

I am verifying your fix now. It seems correct, I'm just hunting down some of my documentation and testing to make sure it doesn't break anything else. Assuming that pans out, I will incorporate the change and release an update this weekend.

However, I have not been able to recreate the bugged overworlds you saw. Have you had a chance to look into those?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
I finally had some time to test. I have confirmed the bug, it is exactly as you said, the animation shows (and announces) the first Pokemon in your party using the HM move, rather than the Pokemon with the correct type.

I am verifying your fix now. It seems correct, I'm just hunting down some of my documentation and testing to make sure it doesn't break anything else. Assuming that pans out, I will incorporate the change and release an update this weekend.

Well, nice, if you want to connect to my thread with custom AddOns, check out my signature and it have a thread I've started with my custom settings.

However, I have not been able to recreate the bugged overworlds you saw. Have you had a chance to look into those?

I think it was a problem with the ram, because I've tested it again and again, and after a few tests it's simply gone. I don't know how but I think the problem was happened only to me. ^^
I'm playing my game again with your patch and I will report if I find another issues.

Last edited:
Back