The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio
FireRed Pokémon Kanlara Adventures: Remastered beta version out! (Big update)

ROM Hacks Studio The ROM Hacks Studio — once known as our “Hacks Showcase” — is the best place on the web to find ROM hacks. Browse our curated collection, all made by PokéCommunity members: patch, play, and enjoy!

Old June 21st, 2018 (1:26 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Sakakii.

Major Update!

Hey guys, so I have made a big, big update to Kanlara Adventures. This update contains things like
    fixed NPC dialogue, more story events, new maps, new legendaries, new sprites for Pokémon and some key Trainers, an all new mechanic called Demon Ascension, a new type 'Demon', updated movelists, move tutors properly spread out around the region and more...

I need your guys help to test it, I can't possibly test everything on my own so, here is the beta for you guys to check out. It's a complete game, with 8 badges + the League for you to take on, so check it out.
    And sorry guys there was a movement error in the first release that I didn't notice when testing that prevents you from getting a lot of Dark Gem's in Nahara Mines, so if you experience this problem update your game to the new file and it should be all fine.

Also, with the release of Kanlara Adventures: Remastered, the older versions will not be supported.
    If you are currently doing a playthrough of Kanlara Adventures, please consider starting a new
    save file on Kanlara Adventures: Remastered.

Kanlara Adventures: Remastered Features

Physical/Special split
    New and original region, story, characters
    About 350 or so Pokémon from Gen 1-7 can be caught and battled
    Pokémon such as Umbreon and Gengar can be obtained by using an item called the Runic Gem to evolve their pre-evolutions
    Moves from Gen 4 + implemented such as X-Scissor and Shift Gear
    Modern movelists for ALL Pokémon, based on Gen 7 level up lists
    Custom TM list featuring moves such as Swords Dance, Stone Edge and Energy Ball
    New move tutors implemented, giving you access to moves such as Ice Punch and Draco Meteor
    A way to re-use these move tutors is given at the Pokémon League
    PokéDex info has been updated for all new Pokémon this includes Demon Pokémon
    A new type, called the Demon type
    19 original 'Demon Pokémon' with at least one more planned, 18 of which are obtainable for the player
    Updated Gen 4 style sprites for ALL Pokémon
    A few original Trainer sprites and OW for key characters
    99 % of leftover FireRed scripts have been replaced with original dialogue and events, this includes things like signposts

Changes from Kanlara Adventures

More story events and maps
    Various changes to the levels of both Trainers and wild Pokémon, making the game a little less ridicilous at some points
    Giovanni can now be battled earlier in the story
    Revives can now be purchased at all PokéMart's in Kanlara after a certain amount of badges have been obtained
    New Special Selection's have been added, giving access to things such as Herbal items
    Mew now obeys all your commands
    A way to quick travel from Kaji City to Kanja City, which allows you to get around the map even faster
    Various balance changes such as nerfs to Sleep inducing moves and original updates to some moves

Foreword

Pokémon Kanlara Adventures is a ROM hack of Pokémon FireRed which features a new region, story, Pokémon from all 7 generations, and a bunch of modern updates to make the game nicer to play.

I hope you guys enjoy my hack, and as always, don't hesitate to ask me questions or let me know if you encounter bugs or other oddities.

Story

Kanlara is the region where you were born. You spawn here, and you meet up with your childhood friend and rival. You are informed that the Professor wants to see the both of you.

At the Lab, Professor Woke lets you know that apparently, Kanlara is under attack by a group known
    as Team Rocket.

You recieve your first Pokemon, and together you and your rival set out on your adventure.

Your goal is to become the best trainer you can, but also to put a wrench in Team Rocket's plans and make sure they're put in their place.

Later, it becomes apparent that Team Rocket is gaining too much power, and the entire fate of Kanlara will rest on your shoulder as you embark on your path towards the final battle, that will decide it all...

Screenshots:

What is a Demon Pokémon? How are they balanced?

Spoiler:

TLDR version: A Demon Pokémon is a Pokémon with above-normal powers, meaning it is stronger than a regular Pokémon, just like how Mega Evolved Pokémon are stronger than regular Pokémon.
    They retain the same BST as their regular form, however their stats are shifted around to boost a stat and lower another, they may gain a new ability, they gain the Demon type as one of their types, they gain a special Demon type move. They are not forced upon the player, meaning it is optional to use them, there is also a restriction on how many the player can obtain in any given playthrough.

So, before we get to the good part, I wonder if you ever played the Generation 2 games of Pokémon, Gold/Silver/Crystal? If you did, or if you didn't but you've seen the sprites used, do you like them?
    Personally I'm very fond of the Gen 2 sprites, I think they did a great job on those sprites and I prefer a lot of them to some of the new sprites from Gen 3 as well as 4. So I started thinking to myself, how can I get these sprites into my hack?

At some point, the idea of turning these Pokémon with Gen 2 sprites into 'supernatural' Pokémon with above-normal power, in a similar fashion to Mega Evolution, appeared in my head. With how vicious some of these Gen 2 sprites tend to look, I thought the idea of a 'Demonic' Pokémon would be fitting.
    So, I recolored the sprites into a black/gray/white scheme, gave them red eyes, and even added some features such as blood-stained wings and teeth.

Now, the question became, how do we make these Demon Pokémon stronger than regular Pokémon? Because after all, that was the idea. Initially, I just simply gave them more stats. I mean it works for Mega Evolved Pokémon, so why not? However, I gave up on that idea when I realized that it benefited the Demon Pokémon with already high base stats. After all, the player will be forced to battle some Demon Pokémon in their playthrough, so I can't make them too strong.

Eventually, I settled on the idea of giving them a unique typing 'Demon' and making this typing a notch above all the other types. Because a 'Demon' type, much like the Fairy type, is sort of, unnatural, compared to the other types such as Water and Fire, it didn't really seem like randomly making it resist and have weak points to certain types would make a whole lot of sense. Much, like the Fairy type somehow completely negating all Dragon moves doesn't make much sense... except for balancing purposes but yeah... thematically... maybe not so much...

So, the Demon type ended up resisting every type in the game, except for itself. However this turned out too strong when I was play testing, as my Demon Blastoise appeared to tank almost everything thrown at him. Now, Demon Blastoise is supposed to be tanky, but it felt like he was a bit too tanky. I then decided to make the Demon type only negate 30 % damage when hit by a type other than Demon instead of the usual 50 %.

Now, Demon Pokémon are above regular Pokémon by default simply by the virtue of having the Demon type. Good, but that alone didn't feel like an impactful enough change. After all, Demon Pokémon are supposed to make you feel powerful, and simply giving them a unique typing wasn't nearly enough for my satisfaction.

Thus, I ended up shifting their stats around. This way, we make the Pokémon stronger in one area, but at the cost of them becoming weaker in a different area. As an example, let's take a look at Charizard and Demon Charizard:

Demon Charizard also gains a different ability. This is true for a few other Demons as well. ... And yes, this is a Gen 1 Sprite. Sometimes the Gen 1 sprite is more vicious than the Gen 2 in which case I just gotta use it.

Notice anything? Yep, their BST is the same, but their stats are different, which gives them different functions. DCharizard's much higher Attack makes him more suitable for a physically oriented playstyle, while Charizard remains a better specially oriented attacker.

Additionally, DCharizard gains a different level-up movelist, which further sets him apart from regular Charizard. At the very end of this level-up list, DCharizard learns his special Demon move, which for DCharizard is Hellsweep. This even further sets him apart from both Charizard and other regular Pokémon. Which again, was the whole point. To find a way to make Demon Pokémon stand out as above-normal Pokémon, who are clearly stronger, but also not overbearable to the point you feel like you stand no chance against them.

I don't like the Demon Pokémon, can I beat the game without using them?

In theory... yes. The game never forces you to use one, and although as explained Demon Pokémon are stronger than regular Pokémon, they still will go down to the correct strategy, such as bringing out something that's super effective versus their secondary type (Nearly all Demon Pokémon have a secondary type.).

And that is it on the topic of Demon Pokémon for the time being. If you got any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Type Chart

Spoiler:

The gist of it is the Demon type resists all types by 30 %, meaning it takes 70 % from all moves EXCEPT other Demon moves. It also hits nothing for SE and is resisted by nothing. Other than that, the chart is just standard Gen 3 stuff.

List of original moves and if they're Physical or Special
    Contains poilers, check at your own discretion.

Spoiler:
    Demonic Wing - Physical
    Demon Pulse - Special (NOTE: No Pokémon can learn this move,
    however it may be called by Metronome)
    Hellfire - Special
    Fish Command - Special
    X Ball - Special
    Demon Beam - Special
    Demon Scythe - Physical
    Demon Flight - Physical
    Red Button - Special
    Demon Drill - Physical
    Demon Wrath - Physical
    Demon Pump - Special
    Hellsweep - Physical
    EWGF - Physical
    Demon Crunch - Physical
    Mega Bolt - Special

Credits

Thanks to DoesntKnowHowToPlay for the P/S/S patch

Thanks to colcolstyles for his info on making wild Mew's obey

Thanks to MrDollSteak's 64x64 DS-style Pkmn Sprite Resource
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336945
    And all contributors to said resource.

Thanks to MrDollSteak's 64x64 DS-style (Gen 6 sprites)
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314422#

Thanks to thedarkdragon11's 64x64 Gen 7 Pkmn Sprite Resource
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=368703

Thanks to all tutorials from Pokecommunity and the people of
    this community who contribute and help make this a possiblity.

Tools used:

A-map 1.95
    XSE
    PGE
    HXD Hex Editor
    NSE 2.0
    Hopeless Trainer Editor
    GIMP 2

Bugs/Oddities
    Quote:
    - The World Map is a bit confusing, and Flying to Kanja City and Merryfall Town from the other Cities is not possible, this is however 'band-aid' fixed with a Pidgeot that will take you between these Cities
    - Gen4+ Pokémon use different cries
    - Some move effects are not accurate to their 'real' counter-part (For example Quiver Dance works like Calm Mind)
    - Although the Daycare is in the game, I have not touched Egg Groups/Moves, meaning you might get weird results from Egg's so keep that in mind.
    Download

Below.

How to play

Spoiler:
    1. Download the .ips file below
    2. Download a GBA Emulator (I use mGBA)
    3. Download Lunar IPS
    4. Launch Lunar IPS
    5. Click 'Apply IPS Patch'
    6. Click the .ips patch you just downloaded
    7. Now click a clean FireRed ROM such as 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)
    8. You can now launch the ROM with mGBA and play the hack!
    If you're on mobile and android, follow the same steps, download the app MyBoy and then transfer the .gba file to your phone.

Attached Files
    File Type: ips Kanlara Adventures Remastered Beta.ips‎ (1.48 MB, 118 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    Old June 21st, 2018 (5:44 PM).

Nature: Adamant
      This hack looks really good! But I think you should have used Mr.DS's Rom base for the abilities and new moves, or PSI Master's ROM base.
      Old June 21st, 2018 (8:02 PM).

Holy crap! This looks amazing!
        Old June 22nd, 2018 (4:12 AM).

Does this have physical/special split yet?
          Old June 22nd, 2018 (4:24 AM). Edited June 22nd, 2018 by Sakakii.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by RenElite View Post
            This hack looks really good! But I think you should have used Mr.DS's Rom base for the abilities and new moves, or PSI Master's ROM base.
            Thanks!
            I considered using ROM bases, but decided against it for various reasons.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by theanhvn View Post
            Does this have physical/special split yet?
            It does not.
            Old June 22nd, 2018 (6:23 PM).

How do you evolve Porygon in this? And is Porygon-Z in this? If so, how do you evolve Porygon2?
              Old June 23rd, 2018 (12:58 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Julianw64 View Post
                How do you evolve Porygon in this? And is Porygon-Z in this? If so, how do you evolve Porygon2?
                There's an item called Evo Stone it acts as an evolutionary stone for all Pokemon that normally evolve via trade. It evolves Porygon into Porygon2 and Porygon2 into Porygon-Z.

You get one for free from a guy in Elder Village (check the southwesternmost house). You can also buy Evo Stone's from the Green Pokemart dude in Nahara Town.
                Old June 23rd, 2018 (4:04 AM).

Thank you for your response, sir.
                  Old June 24th, 2018 (8:13 AM). Edited June 24th, 2018 by Mimikyu139.

Nature: Modest
                    Wich fire red ROM version I have to patch ?
                    Old June 24th, 2018 (8:18 AM). Edited June 24th, 2018 by solidsmeagol.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Mimikyu139 View Post
                      Wich fire red ROM version I have to patch ?
                      1.0 (Squirrels)

Edit: @Sakakii Didn't realize an update was out. Could you let us know what was changed/added in v1.1?
                      Old June 24th, 2018 (10:00 AM). Edited June 24th, 2018 by Sakakii.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by solidsmeagol View Post
                        1.0 (Squirrels)

Edit: @Sakakii Didn't realize an update was out. Could you let us know what was changed/added in v1.1?
                        It was just the one bug fix. Specifically, a warp in Merryfall Town warped you to a completely different town, potentially locking you out of continuing the game. So I removed that warp in 1.1. You can continue playing on 1.0 it's fine, as long as you are aware of the bug. I post a picture here, showing you which warp to not enter in 1.0.

Spoiler:
                        Old June 24th, 2018 (10:58 AM).

how far done is this?
                          Old June 24th, 2018 (12:26 PM). Edited June 24th, 2018 by Sakakii.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by aicaimze View Post
                            how far done is this?
                            It is completed with 8 Gyms + E4. All main events done, sub-events done, the only thing missing is NPC text around the region (a lot of NPC have standard FR/LG text still.)

I'll add that to the OP.
                            Old June 24th, 2018 (5:41 PM).

Nature: Timid
                              yeah i notice some dex entries are random example fletchling is flower poke in dex, but its ok to me cuz im not using pokedex. =D
                              Old June 26th, 2018 (7:08 AM).

Liking the game so far but just to note:

I did run in to a bug however
                                Spoiler:
                                After talking to lance and deoxys in kahara desert if you click on the black triangle the "CUT" prompt will come up. Attempting to cut it freezes the game.

Name: Bill
                                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                Old June 26th, 2018 (10:47 AM). Edited June 26th, 2018 by Sakakii.

Duly noted. I'll add that to the OP for now. Thank you for telling.

There is also now a list of 'new' (Gen 4 +) Pokemon in this game in the OP.
                                  Old June 26th, 2018 (12:28 PM).

Such an amazing experience thus far, however I'm in Giovanni Enterprises right now, and the guards are way too high leveled and the speed on my game on VBA is so fast I can't avoid them, I grabbed the code from Misty but cannot do anything with it. Any help? By the way the emulator is on iOS / Mac.
                                    Old June 26th, 2018 (12:50 PM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by PokeHazard805 View Post
                                      Such an amazing experience thus far, however I'm in Giovanni Enterprises right now, and the guards are way too high leveled and the speed on my game on VBA is so fast I can't avoid them, I grabbed the code from Misty but cannot do anything with it. Any help? By the way the emulator is on iOS / Mac.
                                      You don't need to get past the guards to progress - you only get bonus items like TM's and the likes for doing so.

The code
                                      Spoiler:
                                      can be used with one of the safes, and gives you the card key
                                      Old June 27th, 2018 (7:43 AM).

I'm gonna try this.
                                        Old June 28th, 2018 (2:44 AM).
                                        PhoenixIgnition PhoenixIgnition is offline

Add PS split and I'll play it.
                                          At this point in time hacks without it just irritate me. Nothing personal.
                                          Old July 3rd, 2018 (7:54 AM).
                                          Pokèmon Adventures Special is the best

Nature: Bold
                                            Where do you get the sun stone and the magnet?
                                            Old July 3rd, 2018 (11:01 AM).

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Decagram View Post
                                              Where do you get the sun stone and the magnet?
                                              Magnet:
                                              Spoiler:
                                              Power Plant

Sun Stone: I don't think this is in the game, sorry.
                                              Old July 3rd, 2018 (11:55 PM). Edited July 4th, 2018 by Decagram.

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
                                                Magnet:
                                                Spoiler:
                                                Power Plant

Sun Stone: I don't think this is in the game, sorry.
                                                Ah, thanks for letting me know but is there a way to evolve my petilil into a liligant? And where do you get a scyther/scizor?
                                                Old July 4th, 2018 (2:48 AM).

Actually I checked and, you can get a Sun Stone. But you have to buy it from the green Pokemart dude in Nahara Town.

Scyther is a 5 % encounter in Sena's Woods. He should evolve with an Evo Stone.
                                                  Old July 6th, 2018 (2:24 AM).

How do you get HM Surf? because I just defeated Agatha and I don't know where to go without having the HM.

Quick Reply