• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 3 A wing and a prayer

Well, this episode starts with grinding on route 31(whopee...) This session was marred by poison... ALOT of poison, though it became easier once Nickelback learned Ember, Now time to finish wrecking the Sprout Tower! Fire types vs Bellsprout seems easy enough. When I got to the towers top, none other than my rival Mikal(Pronounce Micheal) who complains about the sage's words, and says he only cares abut strong pokemon.... What an absolute jerk! Now vs Elder Li!

My gameplan was to have Nickelback take out the Bellsprout, and leave Metallica to fight Hoothoot..... But Hypnosis happened, so in went my Slugma, luckily Hoothoot's peck missed twice(thanks to Metallica's smokescreen earlier) and I tried to put it to sleep myself, but I forgot about Insomnia. Luckily Hoothoot was not so lucky with hypnosis this time round, and Nickelback finished both it and the last Bellsprout with splendor. After this battle, Nickelback leaned Rock Throw, which will be helpful against Falkner. Also, I got TM70 Flash, and used the escape rope from earlier to get the heck out of dodge.

Now a trip back to the Pokemon center to heal, and off to the Gym, the trainers were not that strong, but I used them to judge Slugma's new move. Unfortunately even with Rock Throw, Nickelback could not 1 shot the Gym trainers, So my gameplan involves using smokescreen and leer to soften the Pidgeotto a lil' bit. So off to the poke-center again to full heal, meanwhile Joey rings me up to brag about him killing a weedle(I killed about 5 of them during grinding, so what?) so after a save, time to face Falkner, Battle START!

Pidgey was easy enough, 2 embers and done, did take a hit though. Once again I was caught off guard by an ability, this time Keen Eye. Thats what I get for trying to set up ain't it, well time for Leer spam, and a CRIT Ember!! I went for a second Leer as Ember brought it down to half, and I did not want to risk a Roost/Berry/Potion. Luckily Slugma comes through and takes out the Pidgeotto with a Rock Throw! Zephyr Bade obtained! I also got Roost as a gift.

Afterwards, Elm requests me to babysit the Togepi egg (I can't use it in this run, so It'll be boxed sadly) Also my mum bought me a super potion. I may keep Togepi on hand until I catch a full team (Or I need an HM slave) because it is so adorable :D Also I finally have a use for Magma Armor, so that's a thing. As I walk out of the mart, a kimono girl walked up to me.

Onwards to Route 32. This man gave me a Miracle Seed(Like that will be of any use) while Metallica learned Quick Attack, replacing Tackle(Quick Attack is pretty much a straight upgrade) and eventually evolved! Yet it still almost got its Arceus handed to it by a trainers Wooper. Meanwhile, Nickelback could not KO a Goldeen(confusion, and missed attacks) and almost got whooped by a lv15 Magikarp( Yes, a Magikarp almost beat me :/ ) I skipped all of the trainers in the cave(bar this one dude with a Slowpoke, I did not want to fight rock types after my previous "scares") and made it to Azelia.....

The Band of Fire

Metallica (Quilava) (M)
Level: 15
Abilty: Blaze
Nature: Timid
-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Ember
My starter, and a big team player. The Timid nature hurts a fair bit, but he is still able to wreck anything hat does not resist fire. Really good set up mon

Nickelback (Slugma) (F)
Level: 13
Abilty: Magma Armor
Nature: Lax
-Yawn
-Smog
-Ember
-Rock Throw
Slugma is far from an Ideal Pokemon, but the access to Rock moves and early availability will keep it on the roster for a while. It is somewhat underpowered, but still does its job when needed.

Team Opinion: I have ran into the primary problem with fire runs; Water and Rock types often Hard counter you early in the game. Other than that, a solid lineup, though I may focus on Quilava a bit more, while Slugma is a temporary addition until I get better fire types (Vulpix/Magmar)

Last edited:
Years
Forum User Name: Clemstar
Game(s): Blue, Gold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, Y and Moon
Pok?mon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate Challenge

I've already started the X monotype and am currently on Route 7. My team:

-Frogadier (Pacific), Level 23
-Wartortle (Atlantic), Level 23

SilverLeafeon75

Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 4 Blasting off at the Speed of Light

On my way into Azelea town, I find none other than Team Rocket, harassing old men as always. Well, with my Pokemon seeming a bit meager, I storm off into Ilex Forest to train them up to standards, and get poisoned by Weedles in the process. Meanwhile my egg finally hatches, and I name my new Togepi Penny. With nowhere else to go, I head up to Kurt's house, cause free Pokeballs! But first, Kurt alerts me that people have been cutting off slowpoke tails in the well.... Who could it be I wonder? As fast as an old man can run, the Pokeball Master takes off, and knowing stuff is going to go down fast, I follow. Seems the lookout abandoned his post, for a Team Rocket member he really is a coward!

Down in the well, turns out Kurt broke his back.... Some hero he is, as usual it is up to me to clean house. Luckily all of their Pokemon are weak to neutral to fire/rock. Rattata, Ekans, and Zubat were all that stood in my way. Alas I made it to their leader, Executive Proton. Going into this, I knew I was going to have a rough time.... NOT, this battle was like taking candy from a baby! Afterwards, team Rocket blasted out of the well, and I went back to Kurts house. Kurt makes me a deal that he will make Pokeballs out of Apricorns, and who can complain about free items? Also, I need to run all the way back to New Bark to show Prof. Elm my new hatchlet. On the trip back I also battle the trainers I skip, and get bombarded with phone calls.

After I return to Azelea town, I decide to challenge the gym. Bugsy should bee no problem,(pun Nintended) while the trainers will be used as great experience This should be one of the easiest gyms at this part of the game, only real threat is Scyther. The Easy badge has been obtained! Next up is to fight Mikal again...

Gastly's curse is annoying, but it weakens Gastly a lot, luckily Nickelback wipes it out in one move, but Mikal decides he had enough of my nonsense and decides to go straight into Croconaw.... UGGGHH!! I keep Nickeback in in hopes of abusing yawn, and survive with 2 HP (but then curse happens, R.I.P Nickelback.) Now it is time for Metallica to try and take out a crippled Croconaw, but Metallica's low attack bites it in the butt AGAIN, so I resort to leer spam to decrease his defenses, this will be a straight up bloody slug fest. Luckily 4 turn sleep allows me to have a shot, also glad Scary Face does not affect Quick Attack. Also did I note I got a cheeky Smokescreen as he woke up? Also, Croconaw is obsessed with using scary face, despite the fact I'm spamming a priority move :/ Operation Evaporation success! Zubat tries for confuse hax but I get my Ember and Quick Attack away anyways, battle won! He says I only won because his Pokemon were weak. Yeah right bro, you got straight up outplayed, that's what happened! After the battle Mikal continues to complain about the weak and tells me to stay out of his way..... What a scumbag (and I got a phone call from Joey bragging about his Rattata to boot!) Next Time I'll be marching off to Goldenrod, until then!

The Band of Fire

Metallica (Quilava) (M)
Level: 19
-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Ember
The Timid nature still leaves its mark, but against most Pokemon Metallica manhandles them without breaking a sweat.

Nickelback (Slugma) (F)
Level: 18
-Yawn
-Rock Smash
-Ember
-Rock Throw
Nickelback has held up a lot better than expected, Yawn is a great utility, and might have saved my hide against Croconaw. A decent supplement to Quilava's Power.

Years
Pokemon Y Monotype Update:

Just about to finish my journey through the vastness of Route 12 and Azure Bay, making my way into Couramine City. My current lineup looks as follows:
-Frogadier (Pacific) [MALE]: Level 33
-Wartortle (Atlantic) [MALE]: Level 35
-Binacle (Indian) [MALE]: Level 32
-Mantyke (Irwin) [MALE]: Level 27
-Slowpoke (King Neptune) [MALE]: Level 26

Thoughts: I've found it interesting so far that my largest issues have come from being matched against other bulky water types and fighting types in general. As of yet I have nothing to deal with these. Slowpoke with confusion is an exception, however I've only just recently caught him on Route 12 and is still relatively weak compared to the rest of my party.
My greatest concern lies in the upcoming grass type gym. The only pokemon I really have to deal with them so far is Irwin the Mantyke. The plan is to get my good rod from Couramine, catch a Remoraid to evolve Mantyke and a Shellder to add to the team. Hopefully that combination of flying and ice typing will be enough.

Just a side note: I plan to use unique species across my whole ultimate challenge. The exception is the Blastoise line. I didn't really consider that I wanted to use him in my Blue playthrough when I chose to use him in Pokemon Y.

Happy monotyping everyone!

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Looks like I forgot an update at some point because my last post is wrong because I played my rock run up to victory road but apparently forgot to update so yeah.
Anyway since then I've now gotten past VR to the indigo league and did a test run... it went awful so I'm going to be doing a lot of grinding now before trying again.

Current team
Gene the graveler (no one to trade with so it's not getting better) lvl 45
Onyx the onix lvl 45
Tommy the rhydon lvl 45
Omar the omastar lvl 48
Amber the aerodactyl lvl45
Gonna try to get them to 50-55 before trying to beat Lorelei again

Years
UPDATE ONE SOULSILVER
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019

GO WITH THE FLOW
Forum User Name: luxreino
Game(s): FireRed, SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum, Black, Y, Moon
Pok?mon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

FireRed [4/8]
blastoise.png
Azul ? Level 37 Brick Break| Dig | Water Gun | Ice Beam
gyarados.png
Cyan ? Level 37 Dragon Rage| Tackle | Bite | Water Pulse
vaporeon.png
Navy? Level 37 Ice Beam| Bite | Growl | Quick Attack
meowth.png
Sky ? HM Slave

Last edited:
Years
Just a question to begin with. Does the front page on this monotype challenge ever get updated? For the week i've been actively checking up on it, it doesn't look like it's been touched. Oh well.

Anyway, I've finished my the gen 6 part of my ultimate challenge! I'd like to add that I completed the Looker sidequest as well, meaning that I beat the optional part as well. I beat Pokemon Y with the following team:
-Pacific (Greninja): Level 65 [MALE]
-Atlantic (Blastoise): Level 64 [MALE]
-Indian (Barbaracle): Level 64 [MALE]
-King Neptune (Slowking): Level 65 [MALE]
-Arctic (Cloyster): Level 65 [MALE]
-Irwin (Mantine): Level 64 [MALE]

Additional notes: The only trouble I really had with this run was the 5th gym (electric), the final battle with Lysandre (his gyarados proved to be a tough opponent) and Siebold type Elite 4 member. As you can probably tell, my biggest issue in this run was tough water type opponents. I didn't have any super effective moves against them. I had the option to teach Grass Knot to my ace pokemon, Slowking, however it didn't really feel like it was making too much of an impact.

Anyway, had an awesome time beating Pokemon Y with only water types! It's time to continue the Ultimate Challenge with Pokemon Gold! Have been looking forward to this one considering the recent re-release on the virtual console!

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Just a question to begin with. Does the front page on this monotype challenge ever get updated? For the week i've been actively checking up on it, it doesn't look like it's been touched. Oh well.

I will update it eventually, I've just been lazy lately.

SilverLeafeon75

Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 5 Hearts of Gold(enrod)

Last time on Soul Silver.... Team Rocked were blasted out of the well, Bugsy got schooled, and the jerkwad got his annoying butt whooped for a second time. Now we trundle onward to Illex forest, a place that is totally not scary to a team of fire types. But the road is blocked by a tree, and an apprentice seems to have lost his masters Pokemon, how embarrassing. So off I go to catch his lost farfetch'd (I remember 8-9 year old me having a fit over how to solve this puzzle :P ) With the menial task out of the way, now I could advance....... But not wanting to waste a valuable move slot, and seeing the obvious problem of no fire types being able to learn surf, off I go to route 29 again, this time to catch an HM buddy. After arriving back in Azelia, with my HM buddy in tow, which I cleverly named Ache Em, I dropped off some apricorns with Kurt, and picked up the charcoal, a VERY useful item for my purposes. At this point I took a few days off, and came back to Azelia for my love balls.
Now it is time to take Ilex Forest by storm! I equipped Metallica with the Charcoal, and Nickelback with the Shell Bell. Coming across a weird man slamming into the trees with his body. As much as I like Quick Attacks priority, with a hindered attack stat, Metallica needs all the power he can get, flinching is nice too. Here I come across a lost Kimono Girl, but Nickelback being the hero she is shows her the way out, good lil' Slugma. Also, Wade has a berry for me.... I'll pick it up later. As I leave the forest I get TM12 as well. Onward to route 12!

Out on the route, first measure of business is grinding, and beating up the local trainers. I will not get new fire types 'till Violet, so I better make good use of what I have now. Other notes, my mother bought an item with my money. Also Lyra introduces me to her grandparents. Also did her grandma call me her GIRLFRIEND!?!?! Nah mam, my that would be Ace Trainer Brooke from the Hoenn Region(I wonder how she gets along these days?) I get Lyra's pokegear number that I will rarely use. After that ordeal, it is time to wreck the rest of the route, and storm into Goldenrod City. I heal up at the Pokemon Center, and go straight to the game corner, to grind out Flamethrower TM's.

The Band of Fire

Metallica (Quilava) (M)
Level: 21
-Headbutt
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Flame Wheel
The Timid nature continues to be a letdown, but still against most Pokemon Metallica manhandles them without breaking a sweat.

Nickelback (Slugma) (F)
Level: 19
-Yawn
-Rock Smash
-Ember
-Rock Throw
Nickelback continues to hold his own, and being a female, might be crucial against the dreaded murder cow.

Last edited:
Years
Upadate for my Water Monotype Ultimate Challenge. Specifically my Gold playthrough. I've totally forgotten to update recently due to me just flying through the game and having too much fun with the re-release of my favorite game in the series. I currently just beat Will, the first member of the Johto Elite 4. My team is currently as follows:
-Patricia (Politoed): Level 36 [FEMALE]
-Mary (Quagsire): Level 35 [FEMALE]
-Henry (Kingdra): Level 35 [MALE]
-Steve (Feraligatr): Level 37 [MALE]
-Judy (Lanturn): Level 38 [FEMALE]
-Raine (Suicune): Level 41 [NO GENDER]

Before catching Suicune with an amazing amount of patience and luck, I would have claimed Steve the Feraligatr to be my ace pokemon. Raine the Suicune is definitely climbing up the ranks to be one of my favourite pokemon of the whole challenge so far though. This probably has a little something to do with me not using legendaries in regular playthroughs so his strength is appealing.

I think that i'm definitely a bit underlevelled, so if I lose in this run of the Elite 4, i'll most likely train my party up to level 40 and try again! Wish me luck :D

Years
Hi guys! I am still alive! I have much less time these days, and I will be busy for the whole year, as I'll be studying for entrance exams for next year to become a Maths teacher. After beating the 3 first games of my ultimate monotype challenge, I went on to play other games, so the challenge went on hiatus. But I want to play again with my Fighting-type friends! So even if I have less time than in summer, I'll play in my free time and keep up the updates here! So...

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Sun.

4. Pokémon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 1: Back to business!

So I started Pokémon Platinum! And of course, like with Sigma Emerald, my starter was the Fire-type Pokémon, Chimchar, as his evolutions are Fighting-types. He was Brave, a decent nature as he'll be strong, although a bit slow, which is bad as Fighting-types tend to be slow Pokémon. Anyways! I easily beat my rival after a Leer and a few Scratches, and after that I battled my way through Jubilife Town, where I got the PokéTech and the almighty Old Rod. Chimchar reached lv 11, and the second rival battle in Route 203 was easy. With 2 Embers Starly fell, and Piplup did some damage but didn't hit me with Water moves. After a couple of Leers (and a risky Taunt to prevent his Growl), it fell to a few Scratches again. And here is where I saved my game! I hope to do well in this game, one of my favourite Pokémon games ever!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 0.

Current Location: Route 203.

Number of losses: 0.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I've kept going, sad to see this thread without posts in 2 days! c'mon guys, these challenges are fun and writing about them is fun as well!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Sun.

4. Pokémon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 2: EXTREME LUCK!

I kept going in my adventure, catching a few Pokémon and reaching Oreburgh. On the way there Chimchar evolved! North of there I caught a Machop. I plan to train it, so it joined my team. It's Sassy, not the best nature but not the worst either. I thought I didn't want to solo the game with Monferno for very long, so Machop is a nice addition. After exploring the mine, I took on Roark for my first badge! It was really easy, 2 Karate Chops beat Geodude, and again 2 Karate Chops beat Cranidos even after the Potion. Finally, Low Kick 2HKOed Onix after he set some useless Stealth Rock in my field. So first badge earned!

After this I headed to Floaroma, where I battled Team Galactic. Mars wasn't tough at all with Fighting Types. I used Taunt with Monferno against Zubat to prevent Confusion and ugly things, and she just used Bite all the time, making the fight easy with Fury Swipes and Ember. Finally, Purugly fell to Machop, who stood a Fake Out + 2 Scratches combo with 7 HP to beat the cat with 2 Low Kicks!

And after this, I got really really lucky. I wasn't planning on training Heracross here, as as you all know well it appears in Honey Trees, and it's quite rare (5%). But the miracle happened. I put some honey in 2 trees, and in the first one, HERACROSS! I had few Poké Balls but managed to catch it, and... IT WAS JOLLY!! This is a message from the heavens, I have to train it xD. And like in Heart Gold, it learnt Brick Break at lv 19, a bit broken at this stage, going through Eterna Forest.

Now this addition changes plans. Now I won't train Meditite, as I had planned. I prefer Gallade as a Psychic-type, and the other 2 spots are for Riolu and Croagunk, so yeah... Anyways, I caught Meditite near Mt. Coronet, but won't train it, it joined the team in the mean time though.

With all this, I went to face Gardenia. Turtwig managed to set an annoying Reflect vs Monferno before falling, and that made Cherrim a bit tougher, but in the end Monferno beat it after the Reflect wore off with Flame Wheel. Finally, 2 Aerial Aces from Heracross destroyed Roserade (she missed Stun Spore xD).

So that's it! That's where I saved! I really want to keep going, I hadn't played Platinum for so long, and it's such an amazing game!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 2.

Current Location: Eterna City.

Last edited:

SilverLeafeon75

Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 6 Murder Cow......

Well, turns out grinding out Voltorb Flip for 3 TM's is a lot harder than I was expecting, so I will wait until later, also because I don't want this to be too easy now do I? A few phone calls later and I get on my way to face Whitney.... Oh but first, I decide to tackle the Goldenrod tunnels since their are trainers down there. Slugma gets put to sleep, but everything else goes smooth as silk. A quick trip to heal, and then to the radio tower. Apparently a Team Rocket grunt is standing outside the building, but everyone else thinks it is a cosplayer, whatever..... Inside I run a quiz for a radio card, which is a very easy quiz mind you, and then I get rushed by a pink haired girl, who is apparently the gym leader, and my next goal. Off to challenger her to a gym battle!

So supplies wise, I have 6 potions, and 3 super potions, which should be enough to last me through the end, but first, I need to take out the trainers. Apparently the gym trainers find me cute... Well, this gym is full of cute girls that's for sure. Before the gym, I go back to the pokemon center to heal up, as well as receive the backlog of items my mom bought me, which the only good thing Is a repel...... Yeah..... Not even a berry that resists normal attacks...... Now it is time!

I lead off with Metallica, trying to preserve Nickelback till later. Clefairy should not be and issue, but metronome is still a thing. Luckily it used mimic instead (why? what good does that do?) and 2 Flame Wheels take it out. Now it is time for the dreaded murder cow we all just love, don't we? I bring in Nickelback for Yawn and Rock Smash Defense Hax, and the first stomp does not flinch, meaning the meat bag will be going to sleep soon. BUT THEN THE STUPID LUM BERRY!! Never saw that one coming. I try to use smoke screen, then Flame Wheel spam, luckily I get the burn. With my attacks doing little, I decide to spam leer, as stomp won't flinch Metallica due to the cow being slower. I go for a second leer, and the cow spams milk drink. BUT due to the burn earlier, the damage keeps racking up, and the Miltank can't milk drink forever. I get off a 3rd leer, Miltank comes in with a stomp. Now that the cow has -3 attack and -1 accuracy, I use flame wheel, and despite the attack not killing(thanks timid nature) the burn from earlier turns the dreaded beast into steak. And now Whitney cries, as she always cries when she loses (why is she a gym leader again?) so I have to calm her down and ask for my badge that I rightfully earned. I also receive the HM for attract as well.

Right off my gym battle I get called by Joey so he can brag about his Rattata.... Well time to heal my Pokemon and move on! But I remember I need to go to he bike shop, and get the squirt bottle. Now off to make mincemeat of the trainers with my somewhat over leveled fire types :P There were literally no threats on the route except for an annoying double team Pikachu. Meanwhile Nickelback learned Recover, which replaced yawn(I will get Rock Smash off as soon as I can) I exchange phone numbers with a variety of trainers, including a fellow fire type fanatic. I skip the trainers in the national park to save for later. Now on Route 36 it is time to hunt for my next team member, a Vulpix. Which is harder to find than I thought. 10-15% my Arceus. Also, ROAR! The almighty bane of pokemon catching! I finally caught one, named it AC/DC, and went to the National park gate to heal my pokemon (using the ol' PC trick) and ended my journey there.

The Band of Fire

Metallica (Quilava) (M)
Level: 24
-Headbutt
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Flame Wheel
Metallica at this point incinerates anybody who dares to defy his greatness, reducing even the trolliest murder cows into steak.

Nickelback (Slugma) (F)
Level: 23
-Recover
-Rock Smash
-Ember
-Rock Throw
Nickelback continues to hold his own, and despite first thoughts, may stick around a lot longer than I expected. I'm starting to warm up to the little fella ( joke not intended :P )

AC/DC (Vulpix) (F)
Level: 13
Abilty: Flash Fire
Nature: Lonely
-Ember
-Tail Whip
-Roar
-Quick Attack
I have never used a Vulpix and TBH, I don't know what to expect. We will just have to wait and see.

OTHERS
Ache Emm(Cut Slave)
Kenya(Mail Spearow to be delivered)
Penny(Adorable Togepi)

Last edited:
Years
Upadate for my Water Monotype Ultimate Challenge.
Just finished Gold version by beating Red. Took me roughly 20 hours to beat both Johto and Kanto and then an extra 10 to just train to battle Red. Basically training for Red was a 1/3 of my total playtime...

-Patricia (Politoed): Level 55 [FEMALE]
-Mary (Quagsire): Level 55 [FEMALE]
-Henry (Kingdra): Level 55 [MALE]
-Steve (Feraligatr): Level 55 [MALE]
-Judy (Lanturn): Level 55 [FEMALE]
-Raine (Suicune): Level 55 [NO GENDER]

MVP of the playthrough was most likely Feraligatr through Johto and then Lanturn through Kanto. Was 10x easier than Pokemon Y in general, most likely probably due to not having as much type coverage.

Now onto Black 2. So far i've beaten the first gym and am currently in Virbank City. My team currently only consists of Ariel the Oshawott who is at Level 17. There aren't many Unova water type Pokemon for a while though, so it looks like it'll just be the two of us for a while.

Years
Upadate for my Water Monotype Ultimate Challenge.
Just finished Gold version by beating Red. Took me roughly 20 hours to beat both Johto and Kanto and then an extra 10 to just train to battle Red. Basically training for Red was a 1/3 of my total playtime...

-Patricia (Politoed): Level 55 [FEMALE]
-Mary (Quagsire): Level 55 [FEMALE]
-Henry (Kingdra): Level 55 [MALE]
-Steve (Feraligatr): Level 55 [MALE]
-Judy (Lanturn): Level 55 [FEMALE]
-Raine (Suicune): Level 55 [NO GENDER]

MVP of the playthrough was most likely Feraligatr through Johto and then Lanturn through Kanto. Was 10x easier than Pokemon Y in general, most likely probably due to not having as much type coverage.

Now onto Black 2. So far i've beaten the first gym and am currently in Virbank City. My team currently only consists of Ariel the Oshawott who is at Level 17. There aren't many Unova water type Pokemon for a while though, so it looks like it'll just be the two of us for a while.

Congratulations! Beating Red with lv 55 Pok?mon is really impressive! Well done and keep it up for the next games!

Anyways, here comes another update!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma ?merald, Platinum, White 2, X, Sun.

4. Pok?mon Platinum Fighting Monotype update No. 3: The scary Fantina!!

We left last time just after beating Gardenia, so Jupiter was the immediate challenge we had to face. Monferno beat the Zubat with 2 Flame Wheels, taking a lot of damage from Wing Attack. Sadly, Skuntank beat Machop with 2 Night Slashes and Poison (could not hit it with Guts-boosted moves a lot, he critted me in his second move), but it was easy for Heracross to finish the battle with 2 Brick Breaks. I went to catch Rotom for fun after the battle xD.

The Cycling road was a bit annoying as Machop was underleveled and trainers had multiple Starly and Staravia, tough opponents for Machop, and I also had some unlucky moments, but nothing too bad. But the worst was yet to come: Wayward Cave. I will never, ever, explore it without Repels again. The secret part of it, with the Bike section, OMG! I couldn't do it! It was Wild Pok?mon after Wild Pok?mon after Wild Pok?mon, stopping my bike! I got a bit angry xD, but the reward was worth it: TM 26 Earthquake. I haven't taught it to anyone yet, it's a very important TM and one I don't want to waste (I wasted it on Heracross in Heart Gold, so it's not for Heracross). I also explored the other part of the cave, helping Mira to get out of the labyrinth.

Before reaching Hearthome City, I caught 2 important Pok?mon: A Bibarel (HM Slave), and a Male Ralts! It was Hardy, so not bad as Kirlia and not bad as Gallade, I guess. I reached Hearthome and before going to the gym, I collected some items and equipped them to my team: Exp. Share for Ralts, Shell Bell for Heracross and Amulet Coin for Monferno. With the Exp. Share, battling gym trainers, Ralts reached lv 20 and evolved into Kirlia! Time to do the gym battle!

So scared... I remembered Fantina being very very tough even in a normal run, and Fighting-types (and Kirlia) are bad against her. I struggled with Gym trainers, to make matters worse, so yeah. Before entering the battle, I noticed I had an X Attack and an X Speed. I feel using this type of items is a bit cheap, but here I had no choice, my strongest moves against her were Heracross' Aerial Ace and Monferno's Flame Wheel xD. First up was Duskull. I set up Heracross against it, using the 2 items, and she went for Future Sight and... WILL-O-WISP! YES! THANK YOU! She activated Guts! A single Aerial Ace destroyed both Duskull and Haunter! Mismagius managed to survive one and hit with Psybeam, but didn't do too much damage, and the second Aerial Ace finished the battle! HERACROSS IS AMAZING! So that's the third badge! Very happy with this as I expected to struggle a lot or to actually need a lot of grinding before the battle.

zWf22O0.png

And finally, the rival battle. I took the gamble and it did not pay off: Staravia beat Kirlia with 2 Quick Attacks. Kirlia left it in red because Confusion confused him, but it wasn't enough. Monferno finished Staravia off with Mach Punch. 2 Brick Breaks from Heracross beat Prinplup who made surprisingly low damage with Peck. Revenge + Vital Throw from Machop beat Ponyta, and Roselia was very easy for Monferno, a single Flame Whell was enough.

And that's it for now! (I tend to write too much xD)

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 3.

Current Location: Hearthome City.

Last edited:

SilverLeafeon75

Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 7 Up in smoke, down in flames.

Last time we stopped at the national park, and now a new day, new adventure. As per normal, I am to kill all trainers to grind up my new team member, and as such, ransack the park, and east half of route 35. Along the way, AC/DC learned confuse ray. After going back to get the SquirtBottle (I'm an idiot) I engaged the Sudowoodo, and caught it with little problem. Not much happened aside from running to and fro battling trainers, though I did give Kenya the Spearow to the man, and got a rest TM for my efforts. The route up to violet was little issue, aside from two annoying (yet cute) beauty's an their Clefable/Wigglytuff.

After entering Violet city, I met Bill, the creator of the PC system. After this I backtracked all the way to Goldenrod to pick up an Eevee, which I named GunsNRoses. Once I got back to violet city, I ran straight to the burned tower in hopes of catching my next teammate. But instead I came across a mysterious man named Eusine, who is chasing Suicune, and shows me the location of the legendary beasts. And what a surprise, Mikal is there too. Let the fight commence!

I lead with AC/DC, he leads with Gastly, and hits me with a confuse ray, but I get 2 embers off regardless, getting the ghost type down below half, when he decides to use curse..... REALLY!?! This is the second time your Gastly committed suicide. AC/DC gains a level, AND snaps out of confusion. But just like last time, He switches in the Croconaw, so I go into Metallica to counter(I really have no counters to a water type.) But if there is one thing, have the level advantage. But I still spammed smokescreen regardless. Nickeback took care of the Zubat, and Magnemite same way.... Huh, I can't catch a legendary? I'll see about that.

Also I wake the legendary beasts and stand face to face with Suicune, which according to Eusine is a very important judgement of a trainers skill. I got a call from Alan finally, but no fire stone. I really need one for GunsNRoses so I can actually use him. I finally caught a Magmar and named him LinconPark as LincolnPark did not fit. Now it is time to grind for the Gym! Which involves wrecking the gym trainers, and doing the typical wild grinding.

The Band of Fire

Metallica (Quilava) (M) - Charcoal
Level: 25
-Headbutt
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Flame Wheel
Metallica continues to conquer everything as always.

Nickelback (Slugma) (F) - Quick Claw
Level: 24
-Recover
-Rock Smash
-Ember
-Rock Throw
Well, Nickelback did not do too much this time around, as I was mainly grinding my new members.

AC/DC (Vulpix) (F) - Shell Bell
Level: 20
Abilty: Flash Fire
Nature: Lonely
-Ember
-Confuse Ray
-Will-O-Wisp
-Quick Attack
Having been used to Growlithe, Vulpix has required a bit of getting used to, but it does get some good status options.

LinconPark (Magmar) (M) - None
Level: 20
Abilty: Flame Body
Nature: Careful
-Leer
-Ember
-SmokeScreen
-Faint Attack
Another greenhorn on the squad, Faint attack allows it to be a good hitter against Ghost and Psychic types.

GunsNRoses (Eevee) (M) - None
Level: 5
Abilty: Adaptability
Nature: Jolly
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Helping Hand
-Dig
Until I get a fire stone from Schoolboy Alan or decide to grind out the Pokeathalon, GunsNRoses will be taking a back seat in the team. Will likely be given Return for coverage.

OTHERS
Ache Emm(Cut Slave)
FakeTree(Sudowoodo)
Penny(Adorable Togepi)

Last edited:
Years
Good thing Z-Moves are allowed now, makes me feel better about doing this.

Forum User Name: Swagroar
Game: Sun
Pokémon Type: Fairy
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
After an embarrassingly long bout of failures to even get past Lorelei I tried a new strategy of using my very few items to beat her to get some money and then lose to Bruno so I can try to build resources. It worked but I barely got 2700 so I needed a solid strategy. Since only pokemon who could take a hit from the first 2 trainers was Omar I decided to replace hydro pump with double team. who then proceeded to hand the entire Elite Four and Champion (minus Agatha so I could use less healing items so I let gene sweep her team) its ass. It was incredible how well it went with a little thing called dodging. Overall despite the wall at the end I loved this and I'm going straight into gen 2 within a few days.

Final team:
Omar the Omastar (MVP) lvl 56 surf, double team, toxic, ice beam
Gene the Graveler lvl 47 strength, rock throw, earthquake, fissure
Tommy the Rhydon lvl 47 rock slide, earthquake, submission, mega kick
Onyx the Onix lvl 47 dig, body slam, bind, rock throw
Amber the Aerodactyl lvl 49 wing attack, supersonic, fly, rest

Yellow 8/8, Silver 0/16, Emerald 0/8, Platinum 0/8, White 2 0/8, Y 0/8, Moon 0/8

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 31, 2017
Forum User Name: Mr.Ryne
Game(s): Fire Red, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White, Y, Sun
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Fire Red:
Spoiler:

Heart Gold:
Spoiler:

Last edited: