• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Sometimes even in places with access to it, sex ed isn't actually done enough. I know I've had... next to none, lol. "Use a condom and everything is fine <333" is all I've ever really been taught and tbqh I can't see what more there is to it than that. But from some of the things said in this thread it feels like I've missed a whole lot here.
Yeah, you did miss a lot of things. I hope they at least brought in bananas and let you actually put one on. Seriously, some people don't know how to do that correctly.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
...is it bad that I'm loling hard at the concept of a teacher putting a condom on a banana? No, they never did that with us. Although from experience it's not been the most difficult thing in the world to do. Assuming I've been doing it right all this time lol.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
...is it bad that I'm loling hard at the concept of a teacher putting a condom on a banana? No, they never did that with us. Although from experience it's not been the most difficult thing in the world to do. Assuming I've been doing it right all this time lol.

In high school, our sex ed teacher used an imitation phallus. There were a lot of snickers in class that day let me tell you.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
In Grade 8, they used "woody". So many people were laughing and I was like "Really!? You're in Jr High, almost High School and you think this is funny?"

To be perfectly honest, I probably would have been one of those who were laughing had I been in that class. I suspect the name "Woody" was an intentional way of lightening up a subject that's very serious. Sometimes the best way to learn something is to have a little fun with it.

Rudy

give us a song ex boyfriend
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I... think it's kinda worrying when it's all you've got to talk about, in all honesty, lol. But I agree that if people could be more open about it, it'd be a much less awkward topic.

Ofc though a balance needs to be found between talking about it appropriately and just constantly giving tmi.

oh its not that i dont have other things to talk about
i mean yeah it seemed that way ha ha sorry!!! but im not that bad really. its just one of those things that... if you mentioned it id be happy to discuss it?? i mean i personally try not to make a conversation about it because

well honestly and ironically im a bit frigid or whatever so unless someone else brings it up i wont mention it kinda thing

and even when they do it highly depends on the person im talking to whether or not i disclose certain things or use certain words HEH

its fun to talk about, but only when others are interested. otherwise i just talk about aliens.

wow i feel like i dug myself into a hole here but !!!! im not a horndog im just bad at wording. u_____________u;;;

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
My sister's college freshman orientation, they separated the women from the men and taught the girls how to put on a condom with their mouth.

SEX ED AT ITS BEST LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Years
Before saying my piece.
I read everything here.
And not even in the real world can you get this good of a debate. I tried every day in my 9th grade civics class, and the entire class devolved into me and my teacher having a debate with like NOBODY else participating. It was fun, but, more people makes it better. Anyways onto my opinion, sex shouldn't really be...had until you're out of high school.
That's only my opinion, mainly because aside from the possible physical repercussions of it, there are emotional repercussions for some people too, and then there's just a bunch of mess involved.
I think that the media glorifies it...but in a not-good way, you know? I belive in the 80s..or was it 90s, that Salt n Pepa made a song called "Let's Talk About Sex" and it was about safe sex, stuff like that. Nowadays, you listen to alot of the sexually oriented music on the radio. It's all real bad and dirty, you know? Ever listen to that Young Money song "Roger That"? I despise rap but somehow love that song, but that song is really naughty.
Anyways, if sex-oriented stuff in the media had a more "Let's Talk About Sex" feel to it, maybe it'd be better. And, young children really have no business knowing about it, because their cute lil minds have better stuff to worry about, like why they can smell rainbows, or other crazy kid stuff like that.
just sayin'~ ^_^....

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
What makes you think that all people in high school aren't mature enough to handle sex? What about people that have graduated high school on a non-normal schedule (a year early so they're 18 in college, a year late so they're 19 in high school, anything like that), is their maturity dependent on high school graduation or on the age you normally graduate high school? What about people that drop out of high school for whatever reason? If you don't mind, I'd like to see your opinion fleshed out a little more as to why that milestone should be reached before sex.

Years
Maybe it's just me as a person, but wouldn't it be nice to have all that stuff out of the way before mingling in other things?

I'm not saying that all people in high school aren't mature enough to handle it. I'm just saying that sex is a thing that muddles things up, like alchohol. It can very much interfere with that.
And honestly, not many people in high school are mature enough to handle sex.

I mean most people in high school are teenagers. I think theres like....one 20 year old in my school?
Anyways, when you're a teenager, your body is all hormon-y and stuff, y'know? You can't make a good decision on weather-or-not to be doing the bump and grind when your pubescent mind is all about doing the bump and grind :|....
That's just my decision. Alot of today's youth doesn't take in all the factors that come to making this kind of big decision. Then again maybe I just have some really old fashioned views about sex and stuff.
I mean, I think it should only be between 2 people who love each other very much , and both of them should get checked, and use protection, unless they're old enough and well off enough to start a family and be able to SUPPORT that family.
Do you see many teenagers even considering that? Not really. At least not were I live. And about the love thing, how many teenagers can honestly comprehend true love and not mistake it for lust, y'know?

So I should rephrase a little more.
After high school because that way you could dedicate time to a child, should one arise from sexual acts. (of course, homosexuals don't have to worry about that, but still, school should be more important no matter what?)
And after puberty because when you're going through puberty, you're just much too young and immature to be doing that kind of stuff.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
@ScarletFlygon: That's because for most people - doesn't matter if they're still in high school or they're in college or they're living in the real world at the age of 40 - sex has two sides: the loving side that you want to have with someone who you care about and have it as a loving, intimate moment, and the side where you just want to satisfy your sexual desire to get some.

While there are a ton of teenagers who have sex just to satisfy a desire, there are just as many doing it out of love, and there are just as many adults doing it for both of the reasons. The point is, some people (doesn't matter how old they are) have sex because it feels good. Just because someone's in high school doesn't mean they're any less mature mentally than a fully grown adult. You don't magically become any more mature after you become 18 or graduate high school. And just because some have sex just because it feels good and to satisfy a sexual desire doesn't mean that they magically don't know the risks (a lot more than the pregnancy outcome that you're concerned about) of it if they were taught it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Maybe it's just me as a person, but wouldn't it be nice to have all that stuff out of the way before mingling in other things?

I'm not saying that all people in high school aren't mature enough to handle it. I'm just saying that sex is a thing that muddles things up, like alchohol. It can very much interfere with that.
And honestly, not many people in high school are mature enough to handle sex.

I mean most people in high school are teenagers. I think theres like....one 20 year old in my school?
Anyways, when you're a teenager, your body is all hormon-y and stuff, y'know? You can't make a good decision on weather-or-not to be doing the bump and grind when your pubescent mind is all about doing the bump and grind :|....
That's just my decision. Alot of today's youth doesn't take in all the factors that come to making this kind of big decision. Then again maybe I just have some really old fashioned views about sex and stuff.
I mean, I think it should only be between 2 people who love each other very much , and both of them should get checked, and use protection, unless they're old enough and well off enough to start a family and be able to SUPPORT that family.
Do you see many teenagers even considering that? Not really. At least not were I live. And about the love thing, how many teenagers can honestly comprehend true love and not mistake it for lust, y'know?

So I should rephrase a little more.
After high school because that way you could dedicate time to a child, should one arise from sexual acts. (of course, homosexuals don't have to worry about that, but still, school should be more important no matter what?)
And after puberty because when you're going through puberty, you're just much too young and immature to be doing that kind of stuff.

What about, like I said, people that are young and out of high school or people that are old and still in high school? I still don't understand how a diploma somehow transforms you from a ball of lusty hormones to a mature human being that has sex for "the right reasons" (which is an argument in itself, which I'll get to later). What I'm really curious about, is what you use to make this argument. What percentage your age group you're with has to be mature enough to handle sex before it become acceptable in your eyes? Half the people? 3/4? Everyone? It seems to me that you have an arbitrary threshold before it becomes acceptable and I want to know where it begins. You have to have a great deal of things backing you up to take such an extreme position as "sex shouldn't be had until you're out of high school".

I'd like to point out that there were very few virgins in my group of friends, and the entire school for that matter, and no pregnancies. Think of how many people around you in school (probably not your year because I guess it's not that prevalent in freshmen, juniors and seniors more likely) are having sex, and then think of how many pregnancies you know of in the school. I think that should be a good measure of the ability of high schoolers to protect themselves; while a lot of them are immature, they at least know that their future would most likely be ruined by a child and therefore take precautions.

Re: "school should be more important no matter what": So are you saying here that if you go to college you shouldn't have sex because school should be more important?

Finally, I'm going to go back to "the right reasons" to have sex. Honestly, I find that judgmental - what's so wrong about having sex just because you want to have sex? If a person is taking the proper precautions and being safe and the two (or 3, or 4, etc.) participating are both consenting, what's objectively wrong with them having sex just because they physically want it? Is sex only "okay" if you're doing it for the reasons you want to do it, and not for the reasons they want to do it?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years

Finally, I'm going to go back to "the right reasons" to have sex. Honestly, I find that judgmental - what's so wrong about having sex just because you want to have sex? If a person is taking the proper precautions and being safe and the two (or 3, or 4, etc.) participating are both consenting, what's objectively wrong with them having sex just because they physically want it? Is sex only "okay" if you're doing it for the reasons you want to do it, and not for the reasons they want to do it?

Just wanted to say that I think "having sex because you want to have sex" is a perfectly fine reason to have sex if you're gonna do it safely. I don't know why people would think otherwise or think that having sex because you "want to" is wrong, because there really isn't an argument for why it would be, IMO.

Though if you're having sex with someone to get them to like you.. or as an emotional release to distract you from depression or something, or if it's becoming a real serious addiction, then I think that somewhere there you need to take a step back and seek some help for yourself or back away from the situation before you consider having sex again, because in that case I see sex as something that would be more detrimental than beneficial. That's when I see having sex for the "wrong reasons."

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Personally, I've never understood why some people think having sex just because it feels good is such a bad thing. An active sex life really can improve the quality of your life. Research has already proven that frequent sex can prolong your lifespan by reducing risk of cancer and promote a healthier heart. Of course, we must always be mindful that when engaging in any sexual activity that we do so safely.

When it comes to when the time is right for people to have sex though, I don't think that can be determined by using a universal standard. That's because we humans are as unique and varied as the snow flakes falling from the sky. No two of us are exactly alike (including identical twins).

So when someone tells me they're ready for sex, all I'd suggest to them is that they do it safely. And of course, I'd tell them to have a good time.

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
Years
Personally, I've never understood why some people think having sex just because it feels good is such a bad thing. An active sex life really can improve the quality of your life. Research has already proven that frequent sex can prolong your lifespan by reducing risk of cancer and promote a healthier heart. Of course, we must always be mindful that when engaging in any sexual activity that we do so safely.

When it comes to when the time is right for people to have sex though, I don't think that can be determined by using a universal standard. That's because we humans are as unique and varied as the snow flakes falling from the sky. No two of us are exactly alike (including identical twins).

So when someone tells me they're ready for sex, all I'd suggest to them is that they do it safely. And of course, I'd tell them to have a good time.
Oh, agreed for sure. (I can't believe this is my first post on this site...) I'm a 21 year old college student. I've had a few sexual partners. Yes, I regret it, but it's a release of badly needed hormones in my body. Helps me keep going and work harder.

However, ever since those incidents I've vowed that the next time I engage in frivolous behavior will be in a relationship with a significant other.

Each person is different in regards to preparation and readiness for this nocturnal activity. I don't think we should actively teach children about intercourse, but when the time comes we shouldn't hide it from them either. The human body is a wonderful thing and the things we can do with it (even in the bedroom) should never been something taboo.

I agree with everyone about abstinence programs in high school and even middle schools. Sex ed should teach our youth about sex, not abstinence. Abstinence is not sex, and our educators are pretty much presenting it as sex.

Our health teachers always told us that the only way to be completely safe is abstinence. I don't remember what they said, but it implied that abstinence was intercourse itself which made absolutely no sense to any of us.

Two cents. I'm out.

Years
@ The sex is taboo bit, it's just like that saying, "life is what you make of it". Mass media, the government, and religions has brainwashed us into thinking it's taboo. Another reason is that a lot of people like to give a bit tmi, the same reason the word poop is taboo.

Also I think Psycho Bugler has a good point there. Teen sex is something appleasing, yet, it is a waste of hormones that we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back