• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Throwback to Kanto

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
After you've defeated Johto's Elite Four and Champion thus entering the hall of fame becoming a pokemon champion yourself, you get a Ticket to ride the S.S Aqua from Olivine City, all the way to Kanto. If you remember playing R/B/Y first, this might of been a nostalgic twist for you!

28.gif
29.gif
30.gif
31.gif
33.gif
32.gif
34.gif
35.gif

However, the Kanto region from the R/B/Y games years ago got a few changes that were brought upon the GSC games. For instance, Janine is the new leader of the Fuchsia Gym. Obviously because, her father Koga became a member of Johto's Elite Four. Her pokemon aren't too different from her fathers, as you'll see Weezings and the signature Venomoth, and she even dresses up like a ninja! And like her father, she gives you the TM Toxic if you win.

Blue is now the Gym leader of the Viridian City Gym. Blue becomes the new manager of the 8th gym, ever since the whole Team Rocket fiasco that went down during the old R/B/Y games, so, yes, Blue now steps in to fufill that role, and you'll probably remember the majority of his team like Rhydon, Pidgeot, Arcanine, and so on, except his main starter pokemon. He's more of a diverse gym leader!

The Pokemon Tower has been replaced by a Radio Tower. But not worry about the gravesites, they were moved into the newly added Soul House. You can't go upstairs in the Radio Tower though, since it's blocked by a guard ever since what happened to Goldenrod's Radio Tower, taken over by team rocket.

There's many more things on what happened to Kanto over the years, but still, the main point of this thread is discussion!

Did you enjoy travelling throughout the Kanto region, as part of GSC's post game? What would you liked to see in Kanto? What were any disappointments? What would you add? Feel free to discuss and share ideas!

Guest123_x1

I really enjoyed the Kanto part of G/S/C, particularly the rearranged music cues that were originally featured in Generation I, and the region-specific tiles (trees, posts, fencing, buildings, etc.) being in full-color (as opposed to monochrome in Red/Green/Blue/Japanese Yellow, and tinted in the rest of the world's releases of Yellow).
The one thing I wasn't too crazy about, though, was the levels of the wild Pokémon in that region were similar to what was available in those same locations in Generation I, which meant having to get low-level Pokémon out of the boxes to be able to capture most of them.

Years
I loved pretty much everything about going back to Kanto, I really enjoyed the changes to the region and the different order in which the player traveled around. Blue being the gym leader of the Viridian City gym was a good touch too imo.

Years
I liked that you could go back to the original region to fight the 8 gym leaders and eventually fight the protagonist from RBY, now that's how you make a sequel!

Although I didn't like how shrunken it was made. (Due to space constraints)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I started with the Johto games so to me having Kanto in there was crazy cool simply because of wow another region. Although upon playing the Kanto games what disappointed me was Cinnabar. I really thought: holy shit why???

Having a volcano erupt makes sense but is unfortunate. Starting with Gold I would have LOVED to explore Pokemon Mansion and Pokemon Lab :( It's such a shame really. It sorta alienates those of us who started with GSC: we never got to know the mansion which to me I think is an iconic part of Generation 1. The Safari Zone, too. I'm sad we couldn't access the Safari Zone either! In Kanto it seemed like the coolest thing in the world.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
GSC was my first game so I didn't realize we were traveling 'back' to Kanto. Once I played LeafGreen and other games I realized GSC was a direct sequel to RBY and though how cool it was to travel to a second region within one game. It's why I'm still wishing for another game with two regions..!

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
I'll never forget the feeling I got when I discovered for the first time that we got to go through Kanto all over again, it's my favorite part of the game each time I play through it. I remember when I found Red at the end too, and the feeling I got defeating him. In general, generation 2 holds some of my favorite moments and memories as a Pokemon fan. I had a lot of fun switching Pokemon between regions with the time machine. That was my favorite part, getting to bring my Pokemon from the previous games to come battle in Kanto again.

I guess the only thing I would add is more trainers. Playing through it now it feels a little empty.

Back