• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you still have a Gold, Silver, or Crystal cartridge?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 30, 2017
I still have a silver and a gold, The gold I only got a few years back but the silver I have had since well pretty much it came out. Both still work and I play every few weeks/Months.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I have two Gold cartridges because one of them doesn't save anymore, I still have a Crystal cartridge and I own a Japanese version of Gold still in its box that I bought from a convention.

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
Years
Yep. I have my original Gold (still works!), another Gold (actually not sure why, lol), Silver, and Crystal in Japanese (it was cheaper than English, and I lost my original Crystal like a decade ago).

Years
I have all three, but last time I checked, Gold was the only one that still had the original battery going. I changed the battery in my Crystal cartridge a couple of years ago so I'm assuming that one's still good.
I also have a hilarious Silver knock off with terribly broken English but it was never able to keep games saved.

Years
I have the Gold version. I actually bought it a couple of years ago. The battery was not working anymore but I changed it and it works perfectly now. Too bad my Gameboy color screen is so dark so the playing is quite hard.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Crystal version might have been my sister's first Pokémon game.
We still have it, it's too bad the internal battery ran dry : she managed to
fill the Pokédex to the greatest extent one could without trading (at least I think)...
Man, something like a month ago she used glare on me once told red-haired-boy is
Giovanni's son, and then asked how in the world I knew that XD.
I wonder if she knew about red on Mt.Silver and battled him...
I also wonder why we get to look at the majestic Suicune's
derrière during the intro?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2020
I have two Gold Version cartridges, two Silver version cartridges (one English and one Japanese), and then one Crystal version cartridge. All but the Japanese Silver are no longer functional due to dead internal batteries, sadly.

Years
Yes! I've got a Silver Version! It's my favorite version! I lost it at some point, but then went to my city Flea market and got it at a very cheap price and at excellent condition. Then a friend got me a Spanish Crystal Version. Sometimes we play Pokemon Stadium 2 (more for the mini games than anything).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I still have my Silver and Crystal cartridge and the boxes they came in.

Unfortunately the games corrupted and erased my entire games back in 2014 for Crystal, and earlier for Silver.
Spoiler:

Minyong

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
I still have my Silver and Crystal cartridge and the boxes they came in.

Unfortunately the games corrupted and erased my entire games back in 2014 for Crystal, and earlier for Silver.

The boxes too?! Impressive o_O
I bought a Crystal cartridge a little while ago for $30 and it still works perfectly.
somehow my Emerald version is dead though

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I still have all three cartridges. I don't know if I have the boxes, but I doubt it. (I haven't looked for them in years, and I suspect my mom threw them out at some point years ago.)

The batteries haven't worked in years, though. Gold died in 2006 (rapid death from first signs of clock trouble), Crystal in 2009? (though it started having clock issues two years before that), and Silver died sometime shortly after Crystal. I bought tabbed replacement batteries in 2010, but never got around to soldering them into place. At this point, I probably won't bother with the repair (plus, the batteries have probably declined so much that I would have to buy another set).

Guest123_x1

As I've mentioned on this site many times over the years, I no longer have my Game Paks of the Generation II games, having traded those in (along with my Blue, Yellow, and the first Stadium) in January 2006 when I tried to get out of Pok?mon entirely. Within the next several years after that, I've come to regret that decision, but in hindsight, it's probably a good thing I divested of these games, since sooner or later, the save batteries would have run dry, and they wouldn't be able to hold a save anymore, wiping out potentially years of progress (especially on Silver).

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I have two Silvers, one Gold and two Crystals. they all still save because my uncle replaced the batteries and taught me how to replace them. One of the Silvers has a broken motherboard and doesn't keep time no matter how many times I change the battery.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I still have all three of my original cartridges. They don't save anymore though.

Thankful for the recent Virtual Console announcement!

Years
i have all 3. intact and working. the batteries are dead but i have a cartridge i can put between the game and the gameboy that can load/write saves and doesn't rely on batteries

masterofcheese

Student at DWMA
Years
I have two copies of both gold and silver, and one copy of crystal although only silver and crystal had a working save file although it recently went bad. I have a new battery lying around somewhere but i dont know how to fix.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Bad news :( Checked today - the internal battery is dead on Crystal! It definitely worked a few years ago. Gold has been long dead for a while. I never got Silver so now I'm extra excited about the VC releases lmao ... if they don't release Crystal ever I will be so sad lol

Back