The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Anime
Chit-Chat The Anime Chat Café

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:47 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post

The first time Pikachu learns a new move in 8 years... Electro Ball has been replaced by a more defensive-styled Electroweb. My main complaint here is the fact that Electroweb is a significant downgrade in power, since it's only a 55 BP move while Electro Ball can reach as high as 120 if the user has a huge speed advantage.

SM has already let me down enough, and now this downgrade in power for Pikachu has made it worse. I remember when fans complained about losing Volt Tackle for Electro Ball early on in Unova, but I hate this newest move by the writers. It's like they want to downgrade Pikachu without resetting him, so they decided to slap on a weak base powered move instead.
    Already made my opinion on your Visitor board but to TLDR it, I agree 100%. It'd made more sense for Pikachu to learn Charge or Light Screen from a Defensive aspect(or Charge Beam to boost Electric Attacks over time as its used). Heck Electric Terrain would had made more sense.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:53 AM).
    Pokémon World Champion

Nature: Naughty
      The anime has never let something as insignificant as move power or typing get in the way of what moves a pokemon learns

What matters is how they're used

All hail Spider-chu!
      Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:38 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Hikamaru.
      HI VIZ

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
      Already made my opinion on your Visitor board but to TLDR it, I agree 100%. It'd made more sense for Pikachu to learn Charge or Light Screen from a Defensive aspect(or Charge Beam to boost Electric Attacks over time as its used). Heck Electric Terrain would had made more sense.
      And when you think about it, Electroweb is just another offense-focused move, since in the games all it does is deal weak damage and lowers the opponent's Speed stat. If the writers really wanted Pikachu to have a defensive move, it should have been one of the options you listed.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
      The anime has never let something as insignificant as move power or typing get in the way of what moves a pokemon learns

What matters is how they're used

All hail Spider-chu!
      The problem I have with the move on Pikachu is because when Electroweb first debuted in Black & White, it was the signature move of the Joltik line. But then come B2/W2, Move Tutors came along and really ruined that aspect by having pretty much every single Bug or Electric-type have access to the move. Bug-types make sense, but some Electric-types look like nothing that would fire a web made of electricity at the opponent.

Granted, the move's Japanese name is "Electro Net", but I guess it was the initial Joltik line exclusivity that may have led to the English name being "Electroweb", much like how I'm guessing Splash (which is Hop in Japanese) got its name when it was originally a Magikarp-exclusive move.
      Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:41 AM).
      Fighting a bigger fight

Electroweb has a vastly superior strategic element to it than Electroball ever did. Can be used as a defensive move as shown, but since it also lowers the speed of the opposing Pokémon (and the anime tends to keep secondary effects), it can hold them in place to ensure that stronger attacks like Z-moves hit.

I for one am very excited where this goes, given that anime battling is vastly different to game battling.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:04 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by CodeHelmet.

Nature: Relaxed
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Frozocrone View Post
          Electroweb has a vastly superior strategic element to it than Electroball ever did. Can be used as a defensive move as shown, but since it also lowers the speed of the opposing Pokémon (and the anime tends to keep secondary effects), it can hold them in place to ensure that stronger attacks like Z-moves hit.

I for one am very excited where this goes, given that anime battling is vastly different to game battling.
          Electroweb may be a tactical improvement but I counter that it’s a giant middle finger to us fans and anyone who’s played the games. Firstly, Electroweb is not in Pikachu’s learnset(meaning it doesn’t learn it naturally). If it were to learn it, it does so via Move Tutors which I don’t think qualifies seeing as Ash didn’t even try to train Pikachu to learn such a move(unlike when he taught Pikachu Iron Tail back at the beginning of Hoenn). Secondly, such a move should be reserved exclusively for the Joltik line or at most BUG Type Pokemon and not an Electric Mouse. Thirdly, the writers had Pikachu learn Electroweb to avoid a Z-Move and then had it use it again offensively so that Mimikyu couldn’t avoid its own signature move(which again appears out of thin freaking air). A new move and a Z-Crystal appearing out of thin freaking air again doesn’t cover bad writing and a clear lack of respect for longtime viewers and those who play the games. Team Rocket did everything right, for a change, and they got screwed over not by Bewear(like in Episode 12) but by Pikachu conveniently learning a new move it had no business learning in the first place. I can forgive losing to Alain in Kalos(where anyone watching it thought Ash was going to win) and I can forgive(in time) Ash losing to Cameron in Unova. But this... this is getting just downright awful and unforgivable. I hope to god Serena doesn’t return in this but I have this deep feeling she will just to appease her fan base.
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:22 PM).
          Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
            Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
            Electroweb may be a tactical improvement but I counter that it’s a giant middle finger to us fans and anyone who’s played the games. Firstly, Electroweb is not in Pikachu’s learnset(meaning it doesn’t learn it naturally). If it were to learn it, it does so via Move Tutors which I don’t think qualifies seeing as Ash didn’t even try to train Pikachu to learn such a move(unlike when he taught Pikachu Iron Tail back at the beginning of Hoenn).
            You described it's level up movepool. Move Tutor moves are still considered part of the learnset.

Besides, Electroball looked off at the start of the episode. Sure enough, Electroweb starts with the Electroball animation since it's a progression of Electroball.

Quote:
            Secondly, such a move should be reserved exclusively for the Joltik line or at most BUG Type Pokemon and not an Electric Mouse.
            Uhh no...only signature moves should be exclusive to a Pokemon. Anything else is fair game, even if some moves might suit other Pokemon more.

Quote:
            Thirdly, the writers had Pikachu learn Electroweb to avoid a Z-Move and then had it use it again offensively so that Mimikyu couldn’t avoid its own signature move(which again appears out of thin freaking air). A new move and a Z-Crystal appearing out of thin freaking air again doesn’t cover bad writing and a clear lack of respect for longtime viewers and those who play the games. Team Rocket did everything right, for a change, and they got screwed over not by Bewear(like in Episode 12) but by Pikachu conveniently learning a new move it had no business learning in the first place.
            The only part I agree with was the fact the Z-move came out of nowhere again (probably just to have a clash between Mimikyu and Pikachu).

I don't see how Team Rocket did everything right...because it was mainly Mimikyu doing it's own thing with barely any commands from Jessie and, funnily enough, this whole battle actually emulated Acerola's trial and Totem Pokemon (which in all honesty is probably what the writers were going for).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:10 PM).
            HI VIZ

Nature: Quirky
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Frozocrone View Post
            Uhh no...only signature moves should be exclusive to a Pokemon. Anything else is fair game, even if some moves might suit other Pokemon more.
            Just keep in mind he has an opinion. Besides, Electroweb was originally learned only by the Joltik line, but then in B2/W2, the move got distributed to more Electric and Bug-types thanks to Move Tutors. The Joltik line is still the only one to get it via level-up, though.

Also, Ash's Pikachu is the first time the move was used in the anime by something other than Joltik or Galvantula, considering how very associated with that line it is.
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:55 PM).
            rikadventure time

Nature: Naive
            Pikachu.... Electroweb?

What. How does the web even form, like, what.
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:06 PM).

Electroball had more power and it was a great move for Pikachu, Electroweb is an okay move for Pikachu i guess. But Electroball will be miss and it was a really cool attack move.

Quick Reply