• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No Normal, No Fighting, But... Flying?

Guest123_x1

I suppose the reason why Flying type moves can affect Ghost-types is because Ghosts already have two immunities, and GameFreak didn't want to give them too much more, to the point where they become extremely difficult to defeat.
(Then again, not all the type advantage/disadvantage setups make sense, even with the current chart-one I still don't really get is that electric attacks are super effective against Flying-types, yet real-life birds can sit on live power lines and not get electrocuted, as long as no part of them is making contact with a grounded source or another phase.)

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
I always figured flying type moves to be sort of 'wind elemental' and thus in the same way fire elemental and water elemental effects ghosts, it would too.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I really think that if you are ghost you can't be hitted by any physical thing but this is so OP so i think we are OK with normal and fighting moves

Basic_Psyduck

Things aren't real!
Years
  • Seen Nov 7, 2014
I suppose it would just make the programming of the game too complex to have only certain moves work on ghosts, so they just left ghost type vulnerable to all flying type moves.

And I totally agree that Shedinja is a nuisance. I mean, in terms of design it is refreshing, but in terms of combat... big UH-UH.

Last edited:

Anszkz.DkLt

The Semi-Newb
Years
Mainly because Flying-type moves are movesets with actual elements tied into them...
e.g.:
Flying - Air
Fire - Fire
Grass - Earth
Water - Water

But mainly I think it's because, I don't really have a friggin clue about what I'm saying since it's been a few days since I last slept so I guess it means I'm just going with the theory that they'd be overpowered and everyone would be hoarding them if ghost types had even half the capabilities that they're assumed to have in real life..

*Go home me, you're sleep deprived.*

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
Years
Well idea of ghosts is a concept that can only be understood by humans. And if humans were Pokemon they would obviously be normal types (or in some cases, fighting types). And as creatures that can understand, we wouldn't be able to affect them, an they wouldn't really be able to affect us either. The reason they could effect fighting types though is because fighting types are more morphed into bein just Pokemon (unlike normal types which are usually based off real creatures).

Also flying is mostly just wind attacks, not really "flying" moves. If there was another type that couldn't effect ghost, I'd think it'd be rock or steel.

Back