• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SoulSilver hack: Pokémon MindCrystal

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
It's easy if you just replace the .narc files.. You will only need to translate some type charts.. Ex: EAU = WATER.

A great hack in a stupid language..

Problem is, there is some custom dialogue for stuff like the egg move tutor or the pixie plate. In total there are 6051 lines of dialogue (including <text id> and <text>, so realistically more like 2000 lines of actual in-game dialogue) that aren't in the english .narc files. This means that directly replacing them would probably cause some blank textboxes to appear that you would be unable to ever escape from, essentially causing you to force you to restart the game. I just hope there isn't any dialogue changes from the french version that replaces old lines instead of adding new lines..

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
Pokémon MindCrystal English Translation

General
This translation is a combination of ripping from the english version of soulsilver (152000/158000 lines) and translation of custom dialogue using google translate and what's left of what I still know from highschool french classes (6000/158000 lines). I tried to make sure that the message of these custom sentences got preserved but I have undoubtedly butchered some custom dialogue. If there's some issue that you encounter in your playthrough such as a typo or an NPC having the wrong dialogue, check the known issues section. If it's not in there already, notify me with the exact NPC, the message that they are sending and, if applicable to the issue, what message they should send. I will look into it ASAP.
The patch includes menu DECAPITALIZATION as well as Pokémon name decapitalization, this is a personal preference of mine.

Guide
1 - Check if the english patch is up-to-date with the current version of Pokémon MindCrystal, if not, refer to the compatability section to see if it'll still work correctly or not.
2 - Correctly patch a FRENCH version of Pokémon SoulSilver using the xdelta patch for Pokémon MindCrystal that's available on the first page. This will create a new file.
3 - Check if the newly created file is 262.144 kB, if it's not, you've messed up the patching.
4 - Apply the translation patch to the newly created file you just got from the MindCrystal patch.
5 - Check if this newly created file is also 262.144 kB, if it's not, you've messed up the patching (again).
6 - Enjoy your newly created English version of Pokémon MindCrystal :)

Compatability
In general, the translation patch should be compatible with all versions of MindCrystal as long as they don't alter the root/a/0/2/7 file. What this means in normal, understandable English is that as long as an update doesn't add custom dialogue, custom abilities or any other thing that requires a new piece of text in-game to function, it should work. This means that patches that change stat values, wild pokemon data or shop items should always be compatible.

Download
For beta v3.0.1 - https://mega.nz/#!iRBS1Y5S!CGPfX3c23i04YAZDR-WFup7hukFxabuAlE39L24nt8Y

Known Issues
Spoiler:

FAQ
Spoiler:
Wow dude you really did it! This is cool gonna try it soon. Kinda surprised no one is commenting yet xD
Will you be changing the graphics of the buttons in the future?

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
Wow dude you really did it! This is cool gonna try it soon. Kinda surprised no one is commenting yet xD
Will you be changing the graphics of the buttons in the future?

Not in the near future, I am going on a trip in a week so if I do decide to do it it'll take a while. I think it's just a case of replacing some files from the French version with the corresponding files from the US version but I haven't looked into editing graphics for NDS at all, so what I am saying might just not be true. In any case, it isn't really gamebreaking and I'd much rather focus on fixing empty textboxes, typos and NPCs not having their correct dialogue first.

HuK

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
Not in the near future, I am going on a trip in a week so if I do decide to do it it'll take a while. I think it's just a case of replacing some files from the French version with the corresponding files from the US version but I haven't looked into editing graphics for NDS at all, so what I am saying might just not be true. In any case, it isn't really gamebreaking and I'd much rather focus on fixing empty textboxes, typos and NPCs not having their correct dialogue first.

Hi, I'm using this translations.
but it has some problem that trasnlation is not working
when you pick female character "Kris".
But it work on Male character "Gold".

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
Hi, I'm using this translations.
but it has some problem that trasnlation is not working
when you pick female character "Kris".
But it work on Male character "Gold".

Oh wow this is weird. Nothing, including the bag and items seem to be translated correctly when playing as a female character. Since the stuff that's being said is not included at all in the file I've edited, the only thing I can think of is that the game uses a different file entirely when playing as a female character. Will look into it tomorrow.

FIXED, problem was, there is another file that contains dialogue instead of just the one I was editing.

Last edited:

minochet

Attack And Assault Trainer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 25, 2022
Yeah, I have no idea what rom base i need to patch this with. I keep trying to patch Mindcrystal to the English patch and it doesn't work. tried just using the English patch-not compatable. Could someone help me?

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
I just patched it correctly using only the patch for MindCrystal on the first page, my own translation patch and a French rom of pokemon SoulSilver (Pokemon - Version Argent SoulSilver).

Step 1: Using xdelta, select the patch for MindCrystal as the patch, obviously, and the clean base French rom of pokemon soulsilver as the source file, as the output file type something like placeholder.nds
Step 2: Using xdelta again, select the english translation patch and as the patch and the newly-created placeholder.nds as the source file, as the output file type something like "Pokémon MindCrystal English.nds".

Afterwards move Pokémon MindCrystal English.nds to the flashcart of your choice or use an emulator.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2019
I just patched it correctly using only the patch for MindCrystal on the first page, my own translation patch and a French rom of pokemon SoulSilver (Pokemon - Version Argent SoulSilver).

Step 1: Using xdelta, select the patch for MindCrystal as the patch, obviously, and the clean base French rom of pokemon soulsilver as the source file, as the output file type something like placeholder.nds
Step 2: Using xdelta again, select the english translation patch and as the patch and the newly-created placeholder.nds as the source file, as the output file type something like "Pokémon MindCrystal English.nds".

Afterwards move Pokémon MindCrystal English.nds to the flashcart of your choice or use an emulator.

When I select the translation patch with xdelta an error message pops us talking about ascii code errors?

Mag-Mar

50% Saved Steps
Years

Do you have any update on the French graphics? I'm also trying to research something about on Nitro Explorer, but is kind of hidden.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
Do you have any update on the French graphics? I'm also trying to research something about on Nitro Explorer, but is kind of hidden.

I'm sorry, I haven't really looked into it yet since I got distracted and decided that I wanted to learn about ASM hacking for NDS games. The endgoal would be to be able to customize a SacredGold game to my own liking. So far the results have been.. pretty fruitless.. Not giving up though. :)

I tried using meromero's asm hacks for changing the music to GBA player only, making headbutt trees always return give a pokemon and the gen V TM system, but even when I tried inserting them in a clean french rom, instead of modifying them for a US rom, the game either decided to not work at all (in the case of GBA sounds) or decided to crash when performing the action that should be changed.

EDIT: I just updated the translation patch so now all the custom items aswell as NPCs referencing a blue Milotic when playing as Kris should be fixed.

In the .nds file there are 8 new files made by meromero, I tried looking at them to see if maybe one of them contained the in-battle messages, but so far no luck. To be continued..

EDIT 2: I just found out that using Spiky's DS Map Editor, I can change the trainer names and thus fix the in-game messages. Sadly, doing that for all the names would be a lot of work since there are 700+ trainers that would need to be renamed, so I am only going to fix it for the gym leaders/important story people/elite 4/champion. If I would know what exact file contains the trainer data, I would do it for all of them.. SDSME automatically trims the rom size by removing free space though, this isnt a problem for now but it means that I'd probably have to redo this translation (of only the trainer names) every single time an update comes out that uses that free space.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to evolve trade evolutions? Specifically haunter. And if the other starters can be caught in the wild somewhere?

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
This looks great but I don't think I'll play until the trainers are edited. It sounds too easy otherwise.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 27, 2023
Does anyone know how to evolve trade evolutions? Specifically haunter. And if the other starters can be caught in the wild somewhere?
Give him a spell tag and just level up. I think other trade evolutions are similar.

Years
There is any documents available? Would be pretty useful, I want to see the pokemons changes.

Btw, great hack, the best ds hack for me, thanks for sharing with us!!!

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
This hack is amazing, thank you! The 60fps is really an eye opener, everything is a lot faster and smoother. I just have one observation; the music sounds a little different compared to the originals and I am guessing it's from the 60fps upgrade. Is it just me or do any of you guys think it sounds different as well?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 27, 2023
This hack is wonderful. Interesting hack ever.
Just beating elite 4 without restore is so painful..
Fixing it, this will be perfect hack.
Isn't there any update? I'm longing for it...

Back