• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] APOCALYPTIC DAWN

pikakip

The original DarkHeart
Years
Great chapter! I liked how you started it by giving a basic layout of Josephine's(Cautious, protective) Riley's(Noble, Relaxed) and Juri's(Quiet, melancholy) personalities before continuing on with the main point of the chapter. I really like how Paul's personality is coming along, and how the conflict between him and Josephine continues to grow. The argument for the bathroom was one of my favorite scenes in the whole chapter. It was a great chapter over all, and the only part that disappointed me was the bit with Breonna. It was a bit short... Basically, Josephine went over to the bug catchers,(Who should have RETURNED their Metapods) Tried to get Riley to defeat Breonna, and just caught Breonna.

Other than that, it was a nice chapter. good job.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
Overall, I think that this was a wonderful chapter. You displayed your characters very well with this chapter and I found myself impressed. You're definitely learning how to explain your scenery better and develop your characters more. Keep at it. I'm very excited to see your thought processes flow form your fingertips in the next chapter.

Just keep at and I will keep reading.

Years
A/N: I'd like to thank Alakazam17, or A17 for short, for providing me with a description of Suicune.

Chapter 4: Brock's Beast
Part 1: Josephine VS Brock

A loud roar filled the air outside of Mt. Moon. It came from a large cat-like creature, coloured yellow with black stripes on his legs. Distinguishing him as none other than Raikou was his un-naturally long claws and fangs. Combine that with the fact that his face was hidden by a black triangular plate, which covered the forehead and nose, as well as four metallic-looking whiskers which spread out from the front of his face and the beast looked very scary. As Raikou paced up and down through a long patch of grass, the creamy white tufts of fur — which were on the sides of his head — ruffled slightly in the breeze.

Snarling his annoyance at the tiger's pacing was a hefty auburn-coloured, lion-like Pokémon. An object resembling a star surrounded his face; it was yellow at the top, white at the bottom and red on the sides. A greyish-white cloak, which somewhat resembled smoke, kept changing its form on the Fire-type's back. Stalking away from the creature of thunder, Entei released a burst of flame on some grass which instantly started a fire.

An Ice Beam doused the small fire. The third was a large, canine-like creature, with a lush coat of fur of a pale blue colour that nearly outclassed the very sky above, along with various white markings, all in the form of diamonds, seemingly emphasizing the Pokémon's rarity and value. She stood there, with her deep red eyes scanning her surroundings, as that magnificent, royal purple mane rustled with the wind, encompassing the Pokémon's three metre length. And from behind, two thin, snow-white tails waved majestically from either side of the creature, almost as if held in place by the wind itself. This could very well be the case, seeing as Suicune was said to be the embodiment of the north winds.

<It is known inter-regionally now,> Suicune stated with composure.

<What is?!> Entei snapped, quite clearly agitated.

<Do you even have ears, Entei?> Raikou's voice crackled with laughter at his joke. <Suicune said it is known inter-regionally that Team Rocket has resurrected. Our role as Legendaries is to begin the Uprising.>

<Raikou's right. As the Johton Beasts, we need to select our own humans, so that they can help the Rising Chosen.> Suicune added.

<Who do you have in mind?> Entei questioned, starting to settle down.

<Lt. Surge,> Raikou answered. <Because he's a master of Electric types. What about you, Suicune?>

<Misty,> came the response. <And you, Entei?>

Entei looked in his companions' eyes before replying. <The firebrand, Blaine.>

<It is done,> Raikou concluded. <Let us go to Cerulean, Vermillion and Seafoam Islands. There we will bond with them and battle for them if need be.>

With the meeting finished, the three beasts raced off in different directions. Suicune headed towards Cerulean; Raikou, Vermillion City and Entei bee-lined for the Seafoam Islands which was Blaine's new place of residence since the volcano erupted years back.

Since emerging from the Viridian Forest the previous day, the three trainers had gone their own ways.

"This place sure is... grey," Josephine said as she entered Pewter City.

"That's why it's known as the Stone City," a voice said from behind her.

She turned to see a girl, who appeared to be a year or two older than her, patting a Rhyhorn. He was a rhinoceros-like creature. His skin was layers upon layers of slate-coloured rock with a single horn jutting from the tip of his nose.

The Rhyhorn trainer stood proudly, her long brown hair flowing behind her. A skin-tight short-sleeved top and a pair of slim-fitting denim three-quarter pants was her outfit. Her huge socks, almost like leg-warmers, perfectly matched her shirt, while her sporty shoes were accented with a solitary streak.

"I'm Serena, cousin of the Pewter Gym Leader, Brock Stone. This is my partner, Rhyhorn; I call him Rhyne."

"Wow... he's an impressive Pokémon," the redhead said. "Could you please tell me where the Pewter City Gym is?"

"It's in the northern part of town, but I recommend that you heal your Pokémon first at the Pokémon Centre, seeing as how you just got out of the Viridian Forest. The Pokémon Centre is just ahead if you follow this path," the girl pointed down the dirt road.

"Thanks for the information, Serena." Josephine answered.

She walked towards the Pokémon Centre, arriving at the Centre and went up to the Nurse to heal her Pokémon. The teen noticed that the Nurse looked very familiar.

"Nurse Joy, you remember me. It's me, Josephine!"

"I'm sorry; I don't believe I've seen you before," the Nurse said, looking at her.

"You were at the Pokémon Centre in Viridian City..." she said.

"Ohh, you must mean my cousin. She is the Nurse in Viridian," she said happily. "There is a Nurse at every Pokémon Centre in the region. We're all identical and we're all named Joy."

"Oh, okay..." I said, imagining all the Joys out there.

Just then, a tall woman with blue hair, in a dark blue police officer's uniform, walked up to Nurse Joy.

"Hello Officer Jenny; what brings you here?" Joy asked the policewoman.

"My department is trying to find Team Rocket. They've been stealing Pokémon from trainers," Officer Jenny said.

Nurse Joy brought Josephine her Pokémon, and the fourteen-year-old trainer thanked her. She bowed and Josephine exited the Pokémon Centre and went to the Gym.

Pewter City, Serena's home, wasn't beautiful by any standard, being dwarfed by Celadon's tranquillity, and the fast paced metropolis of Saffron. Originally a mining community, Pewter's buildings were old and constructed primarily of wood and simple materials that made the town look makeshift.

The surly, almost backwater vibe that was instilled in the atmosphere of the city was only a vibe.

A little further down the road was the Pewter City Gym. It was a large building, like all Pokémon Gyms, built specifically for housing the most intense Pokémon battles. Like every other building in Pewter, the Gym was constructed from badly cut stones that were probably quarried from the Pewter mines.

Having already seen the splendour of the Gym, she rushed inside, racing up the steps that led to the Gym's spectator stands. As she climbed, she heard chanting, which meant a Pokémon battle between Josephine and Brock was about to begin.

"I am Josephine Harris from Pallet Town and I challenge the Gym Leader here!" The trainer declared in a strong voice. Or as strong as she could get, considering that this was her first Gym battle and she was nervous.

"Another one from Pallet, huh? I just had one this morning," said a voice from the shadows. "Beat me pretty good too..."

"WHAT?! You battled another trainer from Pallet?!" Josephine yelled. "Was his name Paul?!"

"Yeah, as a matter of fact it was," the leader stepped out of the shadows. A teen stood on the opposite side of the arena. He wore baggy trousers and a t-shirt that covered his tanned torso. The teenager's perpetual squint hid the dark eyes that matched his spiky brown hair. With the crowd filling the dark stands above at his back, he raised a muscular arm and smiled, as he released his Pokémon.

"Paul is one step ahead of me, but that won't last for long," she muttered. "Anyway, will you accept my challenge?!"

"I do accept your challenge. Instead of the standard three vs. three, let's make it a two on two. I forgot to introduce myself. The name's Brock — I'm Pewter's Gym Leader," Brock said as he enlarged a Poké Ball. "Go Geodude!"

A small, round rock-shaped creature burst out of the red and white sphere, landing on the rocky arena and becoming still. The nose-less face was staring valiantly ahead, with both muscular arms having their fists closed. Punching the rocky floor in an attempt to intimidate, a deep, extended cry of "Dude…" was heard.

"Go Juri!" As Josephine threw the Poké Ball towards the centre of the arena with precise aim, the red and white sphere hit the ground and parted, separating the two different shades of colours. An extremely bright flare of light was emitted from that parting in the ball. As the light from this flare faded, a shadow of the Pokémon could vaguely be seen. As the final particles of light disappeared, the full figure of the Ground-type could be seen.

"Juri, Metal Claw!" She felt proud of her efforts to learn which attacks her Sandshrew knew; she had researched his moves the day she'd captured him.

Juri refused to move an inch.

"Geodude, Rock Slide!"

Geodude shot for the rocky floor, slamming the earth. His action loosened a rain of boulders, each the size of a large beach ball. The boulders rose a few metres straight into the air and then began to fall like immense raindrops upon the small Mouse Pokémon's form. Juri squeaked in pain as the deluge of stone pummelled and scratched every inch of his body they hit.

"Juri, why didn't you dodge?!"

The Sandshrew only stared at his trainer, with a blank expression on his face. Geodude continued attacking and, again, Juri wouldn't move.

Brock saw that the battle was pointless, so he decided to end it. "This isn't going anywhere. You clearly need to bond better with your Sandshrew, Josephine. Geodude, use a Rock Throw this time!"

Geodude hovered over to where Juri was and threw his hands out, sending out a pile of small rocks towards the male Sandshrew. Juri simply stood and took the attack, managing to push a couple of the rocks off him, before he fainted.

"Juri!" Josephine cried out when she saw her Pokémon on the ground.

Oh man… what am I gonna do? Juri's gone… and the only Pokémon who can effectively attack is Riley. Breona knows Steel Wing, but Rock types are strong against Flying Pokémon. What good is Riley against a Rock type…? I'm gonna get creamed… she almost panicked.

"This is just the first round, Josephine." Brock said, as both trainers returned their Pokémon. "The next one will decide the battle. Go, Omanyte!"

The creature that emerged from the red and white sphere was one from Kanto's past. A small spiral-shaped white shell rested on the Pokémon's blue body. Below its two large eyes was a mass of writhing tentacles, and hidden underneath two of the front appendages was a beak-like mouth.

The red-haired trainer took out her Pokédex and pressed the scan button. "Omanyte, the Spiral Pokémon — a Pokémon of the Rock and Water types. Omanyte was resurrected from a fossil using modern science. It swam in ancient seas."

"Well Riley, this opponent is a Pokémon from when Kanto was newly formed, so I hope you can take him down!"

With that, she sent the female Shinx out and the cat looked ready for anything.

"I'm sure that you can beat him if you put your mind to it," Josephine said this mainly to reassure herself.

Riley stepped up to face the spiral Pokémon. For a moment, there was nothing but silence, then… "Omanyte, Tackle it!" Brock yelled.

Omanyte rushed towards the feline but, at the last second, Riley only just dodged it due to her agile reflexes.

Phew, that was a close call, Josephine thought, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Try your Thunder Fang attack on it, Riley!" She yelled, thankful that her partner hadn't been hit.

The dual Rock and Water type was still in close proximity, due to being a slow mover, so the female Shinx seized the opportunity. She bit the tentacled section of Omanyte and electricity coursed through the fossil Pokémon's body, which led to a grimace been seen on Brock's face.

The teenaged Gym Leader knew he would have to up the ante if he wanted to win this battle. "Rollout!"

With these words, it became Josephine's turn to look concerned. If Omanyte were to hit Riley with Rollout, especially after taking the time to use Defence Curl without anyone noticing, a fact that caused her to rub her forehead in frustration, the female Electric type would be felled like a sackful of Meowth.

Omanyte began to roll around the giant area, slowly at first, but faster and faster as he skimmed across the smooth bedrock that made up the Gym floor. Riley could only stand uncertainly and wait for him to make his move, which would undoubtedly be an attack. Rocks exploded beneath Omanyte as he circled the stadium in an effort to gain enough momentum to launch himself towards the feline and hit Shinx directly. It was only a matter of time until Josephine would have to deal with the onslaught that was Omanyte's Rollout and she knew that.

The entire crowd watched the circling Rock and Water Pokémon with hushed silence; they were anxious to know what Josephine would do to counter Omanyte's attack.

"Riley," Josephine began uncertainty in her voice. "Thunder Fang."

Seeing the opportunity Omanyte presented to him, Brock acted without hesitation. "Now!"

At the sound of his master's voice, Omanyte dashed forward, spinning dangerously close to Riley at an angle that left the cute lion-cub with nowhere to go. The entire crowd joined Josephine in gasping when Omanyte struck the feline, knocking her backwards to the hard stadium floor.

Riley struggled to get moving after she recovered from the initial shock of being knocked between rock and rock. The black and blue feline looked desperate to get out of her current situation, aware of the ever-present Omanyte who was lining up for another Rollout attack. Since he had successfully hit with the first attack, his speed had increased even more, so hitting Shinx again would most likely result in a knockout. Both Brock and Josephine knew this and the two of us were frantic to protect our interests.

It was pure luck that Josephine protected her interests more thoroughly, as Riley somehow managed to get herself away from the rocks, narrowly avoiding Omanyte's attack, but avoiding it nonetheless. With his rhythm ruined, Omanyte had to begin again, so he made one quick circle of the room, while Riley fought for breath.

It was then a bright white glow overtook Riley.

Josephine watched in amazement as her Pokémon started to glow! Could it be that all of the hard work finally paid off, and she was being rewarded? She could only stare as the light became brighter, and her friend grew in size.

Riley's body had elongated into something more streamlined. The blazing light faded enough for me to see. Standing roughly at a human teenager's knee, the bigger feline had slightly larger rounded ears and she now had two yellow bands on each of her front legs. The blue spike of fur that had been on top of Shinx's head was now a more pronounced black mane, her yellow eyes were half closed from tiredness and she had traded in her cute and cuddly look for a more serious one.

Wordlessly, Josephine took out her Pokédex and tapped the scan button. "Luxio, the Spark Pokémon — a Pokémon of the Electric type. Luxio rests its forelegs on others to communicate with rhythmic electric pulses from its claws."

WHOA! Like… WOW! Riley finally evolved! Josephine felt as though she were on a sugar high, and wanted to dance, but she became serious. She was, after all, still in a battle.

"No way… she evolved…" Brock was surprised, as was Omanyte. But neither was more surprised than me. The redhead checked her Pokédex for a second time to discover that this was Riley's first evolution.

"Riley, use your Thunder Fang attack again!"

"Omanyte, watch out!" Brock warned his Pokémon. Omanyte tried to avoid the clone, but it was no use. Riley was much faster and stronger, as Omanyte was about to find out. She went up to Omanyte and, with her teeth crackling with electricity, bit his tentacled blue body. In a matter of seconds, Omanyte fell on his side, defeated.

Prompted into announcing the victory by the crowd's clapping, Jerry, the match official, stepped forward. "Omanyte is unable to continue. Shinx… uh, I mean Luxio… is the victor."

"I can't believe it — you won Josephine," Brock said, amazed that a Luxio had defeated his Pokémon, Omanyte.

It took a few seconds before Josephine realized what had happened. "WE DID IT! WE WON OUR FIRST GYM BATTLE!" She released her other Pokémon, Breona. Breona stayed where she was. After a little celebration, the teenager stopped and asked Breona to come over and celebrate the victory.

Breona flew over to her and said, <You've earned my respect, Josephine.>

She smiled at her Pokémon, knowing that their friendship was growing.

And from his pocket, Brock produced a small badge of carefully cut rock. It was grey, almost silver, and octagonal in shape. Although plain, it meant a lot to Josephine.

She accepted it, too happy to express herself. "Well Brock, it was a pleasure to battle you, but I really must be going."

The trainer left and went to the Pewter City Museum.

Later that night, she was in her room at the Pokémon Centre with all of her Pokémon healed and sleeping, except for Riley. They were talking about the battle, as well as the Museum they saw afterwards.

<I can't believe that some Pokémon came from outer space!> Riley said, recalling one feature from the space exhibit.

"I'm more interested in the ancient Pokémon," the girl said, remembering the bones she saw at the glass display. "I wonder if I'll ever see one."

<Maybe in your dreams, Josephine.> Riley yawned, but Josephine could tell that she was making fun of her.

"You evolved today, Riley, but your personality hasn't changed from when you were Shinx." Josephine said, also yawning.

<Let's argue in the morning – I battled a tough one today, and it's taken a lot out of me.> Riley said, yawning longer this time and finally put her head at the end of the bed.

As they settled down for the night, the female Luxio's mind drifted almost unwillingly to a memory that had floated up to her relaxing mind, hidden beneath a layer of what had previously happened and the possible outcomes of what could.

She had been sleeping with her pride, which consisted of two alpha Luxray (one male and the other female), nine Luxio and seven Shinx — she was one of them. The night passed without anything major happening. It was the next day, however, that would turn out to be the most traumatic.

Her Luxray parents had just brought down a Staraptor and were ripping it to pieces, when an armoured truck pulled up alongside the hungry pride. Two men dressed in long white robes stepped out of the vehicle; one scanned the Shinx cubs, while the other aimed his rifle at the two Luxray.

"Rob, here," the first one said, picking one of the Shinx cubs up. "It's a female, she'll do just fine. Well, we got what we came for — let's go."

"Sure thing, Dave," the second man answered, returning his weapon to a neutral position and getting back into the truck.

When Dave clambered back in, he became aware of the Shinx cub meowing pitifully. He was unaware, however, that the female cub was communicating with her parents.

<Mother, Father — help me!> was what the cry said.

As the armoured truck sped away, the haunting, calling roar of her mother was to be the last thing she'd hear in regards to her pride ever again — at least, until she returned.

Summoning all of her energy, she managed a pathetic sounding roar, but it was one that said thus: <I will return one day, that much I can promise.>

"Yeah, good night Riley, and thanks for helping me win my first badge." Josephine said with a smile, before falling asleep. Not knowing, though, that she would need it because of the perils that her path would present to her. As she slept, an entire gang of men and women could be seen near Pewter City's edge, running towards a mountain known as Mt. Moon.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
That was an impressive battle for you, LM. I knew that you could do a battle of you sat down and just thought about it. :) Very impressive. I think it was done particularly sweet and you kept the Brock's character this time around. Since I gave you some constructive criticism before you posted the chapter, I find no need to criticize this chapter. I think that you done really well and I am looking forward to the second part of this. Keep working at it because I like what you are doing.

Years
Part 2: Paul's Win

While Rachel and Paul had gotten up before first light the next day, and despite the fact that Rachel had left immediately, Paul chose to remain behind for some reason. It was almost as if he wanted to keep an eye on Josephine while, at the same time, being one step ahead of her. He turned and looked at the two red and white orbs on the bedside table and thought of how valiantly Scarlei and Brute had fought against Brock, the Rock type Gym Leader of Pewter City, two days ago.

All three of his partners were nearing evolution, he was sure of that. But what he wasn't sure of was how long it would take them and where the miracle would happen. He imagined Josephine asking him "Where did you come up with the name Scarlei?" the next time she saw him. Fortunately, he had had enough foresight to come up with a reasonable excuse. The fact that he had a knack for nicknames, even though he didn't normally do it, surprised him slightly.

He also knew he couldn't stay in Pewter forever, as Rachel now had the lead badge wise. The auburn-haired teen was aware that Rachel was a born and bred Pewterian, so it naturally made sense for her to know her way around the city and the surrounding area. Paul attached his partners' spheres to his belt, scrutinized his backpack, and then hefted it onto his back, before leaving the Centre for good.

Just as he was leaving the place of healing, he saw Josephine having breakfast out of the corner of his eye. He couldn't be bothered going over there and saying hello to her; he just wanted to be gone from this boring old city of grey rock. Paul wondered how she was going to train three Pokémon but, by the time he was halfway through that thought, he'd already exited the Pokémon Centre and was headed towards Route 3.

Whilst doing so, he slowed his mind and remembered back to his successful victory over Brock.

At first, he'd had to watch some noob challenge the Rock type Gym Leader. But, fortunately for him, the battle was over quite quickly.

"Rattata, Tackle it!" A boy cried frantically at his Pokémon.

The sight of the small purple rat facing off against the giant mountainous snake of stone which was Brock Stone's Onix would have been almost comical if he did not know the dangers of the Rock Snake Pokémon.

The arena itself was made of a huge slab of slate, common to all of Pewter City. Topsoil hid the rock formation the city was built on; however, instead of constructing a battlefield, the local Gym Leader had chosen to dig up the ground, exposing the stone below and giving his exclusively Rock Pokémon an edge in battle.

"An unwise strategy." A teen, standing on the opposite side of the arena to the boy with the Rattata, advised. An long-sleeved jumper, which covered his trademark shirt, and russet-coloured trousers were his outfit. The teenager's perpetual squint hid the dark eyes that matched his spiky brown hair. With the crowd filling the once empty stands above at his back, Brock raised a muscular arm and smiled. "Onix, Harden!"

While the tiny lavender-coloured rodent charged valiantly towards its enemy, Brock's Onix remained still, conserving his energy. Although Paul was too far away to see the effects of Onix hardening his already stone skin, he could imagine the rock contracting, closing any imperfections on the outside of his body to leave nothing but smooth pewter in its wake.

Rattata hit Onix's side and rebounded off, leaving not even the tiniest of scratches on the Rock Snake's flank. As it darted to its feet, Onix bent low to look into the rat's eyes, then whipped his tail around and into the purple rodent. The fifty spectators in the stands met the attack with awe. Rattata's trainer, on the field below the masses — a little boy not even ten-years-old — could only sniff away his tears as his Pokémon hit the wall of the ring and slumped to the floor.

Brock withdrew Onix and consoled his opponent privately, before escorting him off the field and returning to his post across the arena. Paul began his mission; he had no intention of competing in the Indigo League, instead only wanting the badges to increase the strength of his Pokémon. The hushed murmur that had begun the moment Rattata was defeated died down when Brock raised his hand in a command for silence. Paul left the stands behind him as he made his way down to the arena.

"You have seen my power!" Brock shouted to the crowd arranged around the pit the arena was situated in. "Are there any among you who would dare challenge it?"

For a time, nobody spoke and Brock sat cross-legged at his post. Serena suspected that Paul had seen the ten metre long stone Onix and decided he could benefit with some training before facing her cousin.

But it was not to be.

The auburn-haired boy's shadow fell on the arena from the large rock cut entrance across from the Gym Leader. Serena suddenly realized that, in her heart, she had been hoping Paul wouldn't face Brock, because she felt that he was too inexperienced to be capable of defeating him. To her dismay, she saw the teen casting the shadow, Scarlei and Brute at his side. He marched into the stadium and took up his position where a challenger should.

"You are young." Brock spoke, his deep voice echoing throughout the Gym. "What is your name?"

"I am Paul Johnson from Pallet Town."

His tone was suddenly very cold. "Is this your first Gym challenge, Paul?"

Paul frowned, but dared not speak against the Gym Leader. "Yes."

"Then there will be plenty of time to talk if you can best my Pokémon."

His tone indicated he seriously doubted that he stood a chance at beating the Pokémon inside the two spheres the Leader threw to the ground. Once more, the crowd was hushed and waited expectedly for Brock's other aces, which could only be two Rock types.

The first of these Pokémon to exit was a rhinoceros-like creature which slammed into the ground upon emerging. This creature was a Rhyhorn, a predictable choice of Pokémon. His red eyes tried to stare into Paul's; however, he appeared to be more steadfast since the rhino turned his eyes before Paul hardly blinked. Brute could handle him, the teenager deduced.

The second Pokémon was a bit of a surprise for a person who was foolish enough to bring a Water Pokémon in the hopes of defeating Master Johnson. It was a Kabuto, a Rock and Water type. His entire body consisted of a thick brown shell as well as yellow legs that pierced through the darkness of his body. The only other thing that could be seen from the inside of the shell was that he too had red eyes, circular ones that glowed when he turned his body. He was a distinctive shock for any other person; but not Paul. Grass will hurt him not only once but twice.

"As you can see, this is a double battle. You've seen mine..."

"And you will see mine," Paul answered.

"Now show me how strong you are, trainer Paul."

The Pallet-born trainer yanked the two Poké Balls containing his Pokémon of choice from his belt. He stared at them; they haven't failed him to this point so they wouldn't now. He tossed them vigorously to the floor allowing the two Pokémon shoot from the white light to the ground. Scarlei and Brute was his choices and they were his key to victory. Paul calmed himself down. If he got too overconfident he would lose — no, he would be defeated utterly. However, that wasn't going to happen. He was Paul, and he is the best there is.

"Let the battle begin!" Brock shouted.

"Double Kick the Rhyhorn, Brute. Handle the Kabuto with an Absorb, Scarlei." The words just came out of his mouth. Both were super effective on their respective opponents.

"A little hasty there don't you think, Paul?"

Without any notice, Brock's Pokémon suddenly dashed out of the way of their opponents and counter attacked with a Horn Attack and Scratch from the Rhyhorn and Kabuto respectively.

Scarlei seemed to take the Scratch well, while Brute took the attack with too much damage from Paul's haste. The Rhyhorn had achieved first blood; as seen by the red liquid on Brute's stomach. This wasn't the situation that he wanted to be in.

"You have to slow down... in your battling, Paul," Brock gave some advice.

"Don't lecture me." He couldn't help himself.

<What the HELL, Paul?> Brute spoke, already frustrated. The Nidoran male gave his trainer a dirty look.

"Concentrate, Brute. The battle just started," he reconciled.

<Though it was obviously a miscalculation on your part...> Scarlei chastised his trainer. He was the only one who could do that without retaliation.

"Focus on the battle both of you."

"Horn Attack again, Rhyhorn. Scratch Kabuto."

<Is he foolish enough...> Scarlei started.

<To think we will fall for the same damn trick twice?> Brute finished.

"You know what to do." The teen stated — they knew what he meant, it went without saying.

The Rhyhorn dashed towards Brute, while the Kabuto suddenly leaped towards Scarlei. Both of them dodged the attack effortlessly at the last moment. Brute attacked back with a flurry of Pecks as he jumped over his opponent while Scarlei stunned his enemy with yellow spores from the vines on the top of his head. Brock appeared thunder-shocked — it was a good indication that he, too, had underestimated his opponent, if even only slightly.

"Don't look too confident," Brock mentioned.

"Because I'm in the driver's seat, I'll keep driving. Crush them. Double Kick and Absorb."
Brute effortlessly executed his attack, aiming two powerful Double Kicks to the Rhyhorn's body. In terms of defence, the Rhyhorn could best Brute. However, in speed, it was obviously lacking. Paul planned to milk that of all that it was worth to take this rhinoceros down – piece by piece.

Scarlei, despite the Kabuto's paralysis, missed the double super effective hit with Absorb. It was pathetic really, how the Kabuto would do anything not to take a blow from the Grass type move. However, the paralysis was a factor on how much he was squirming right now. Master Johnson wasn't too worried about that outcome.

"You're getting comfortable. Don't," Brock continued.

"You're between a rock and a hard place, if you can pardon the cliché." Matter of fact, Paul was getting pretty comfortable.

"Confidence... I enjoy that. Let me tone you down a bit." Brock shook his head. "Stomp, Rhyhorn. Spin off the Stun Spore with a Rapid Spin, Kabuto!"

Rhyhorn's massive leg slammed into the ground sending the much smaller attacker flying to the other side of the gym. Kabuto began spinning his body in such a rapid pace that the spores that stuck to his body dissipated leaving him limber once more.

"Scratch it." Brock said blankly.

Before Paul could give a proper direction towards Scarlei, the Kabuto jumped towards Scarlei to strike him with Scratch. The attack was then followed by the rest of Kabuto's claws, causing blood to be seen on the outside of Scarlei's body. He now looked as irritated as Paul did.

<This Kabuto is... annoying...> Scarlei mentioned.

"Let's end this. Brute, can you battle?" Paul continued.

<Hell yeah...> the Nidoran brought his body up off the ground. His face was covered in a crimson mask of his own blood. <Let me at 'em.>

"Tough Pokémon you have," Brock complimented.

"Likewise." Respect deserved respect.

"I assume that we should finish this," Brock spoke, looking at the Gym's ceiling. "Rock Slide, Rhyhorn. Icy Wind, Kabuto."

Those were indeed the two most powerful moves that he was probably saving in his arsenal. Rock Slide and Icy Wind can be taught at an early age each to Rhyhorn and Kabuto. At this rate, both of Paul's Pokémon would faint. The teen clenched his teeth at the thought of failure. Not here. Not now. He wouldn't lose.

"BRUTE! SCARLEI! POUR YOUR HEARTS OUT!!!" Paul shouted.

The Rock Slide came raining down towards Brute. Brute's adrenaline began pumping through all of his veins. He began swerving in and out of the falling rock, moving as fast as lightning to avoid all of the attacks. Out of nowhere, he became empowered with speed to get close to the Rhyhorn. Once close enough, he pelted the Rhyhorn's legs with Double Kicks breaking him down to the point that the Rhyhorn fell over in pain. With one last attack, Brute hit him with a critical hit on the last kick sending the Rhyhorn to unconsciousness. One was down.

The second came soon after; Scarlei had developed a plan long before the Icy Wind had left the Kabuto's mouth. The Budew had managed to multiply the last remaining Stun Spore across his entire body. When the attack started, Kabuto's guard was down, giving Scarlei the opening he needed to infect his entire body. As Kabuto lay helpless, Scarlei stood over the Shellfish Pokémon.

"Absorb..." Paul said with a smile on my face.

With that the battle was over. Every ounce of the Kabuto's energy was drained from him, causing him to faint seconds later. The battle was over and Paul was the victor. There was no denying it.

From the stands above the arena, the crowd went wild. Despite all expectations, Paul had learnt a lot in just four days, which included managing to defeat Brock the Rock — the renowned student of Bruno of the Elite Four. The battle had been long and hard. In the end, Paul's victory was a stupendous win, nonetheless.

An hour later, the Gym Leader had a discussion with Paul about the trainer who had come before him. "You want to know about Rachel Savina, right?"

"I figure I have a right to know," he answered. "She's a friend, after all."

Brock's silence prompted him to try again. "What was the battle like?"

"Short," the Leader replied.

"Was she that difficult to beat?" Paul questioned tentatively.

"It was a one-on-one. She completely overwhelmed me, I was forced to forfeit." Brock admitted, as he strapped his tool belt around his waist. "If you truly are her friend, then I advise you to train a lot harder, because she will overpower you as well."

Paul played with his newly acquired Boulder Badge, as he wondered what other adventures would come his way.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
All in all I think it was a solid chapter. I think you stayed true to Brock's character more than the first write of the story. I feel like your character, Paul, has protagonist potential that you could definitely tap into at any time. I would love to see more interactions between Josephine and Paul in the future. :) I think you know what I want from that.

See you in the future, LM.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Dang SS stop beating me to the punch. As he said, the rewrite is much better than the first. I hope you stick with this rewrite and keep on developing your story as much as you can. Keep it up.

Back