• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]TM Changes

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So now there's a move discussion thread, TM changes are kinda necessary too imo, mainly because Stealth Rock should be a TM and so on! So, do you guys think the TMs will change much from B/W had? Do you think of the ones B/W replaced, we'll have a whole new TM-set sorta, or a variation based on what was kept before B/W? Is there any TMs you'd like to see return, and you think are likely to return? AND if so why. :3

blue

gucci
Years
I'll agree that there are some TM's that need to be substituted for better moves and as much as I want it to I just don't see it happening. It would be kind of logical to just maintain the TMs & HMs used in Black & White but then again anything is possible.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Again, I don't see anything changing with current moves and sources. Only expecting Move tutor to show up. Also seems like a jump backwards to revert older TMs back into the list right now.

Years
Maybe all the moves that were TMs in Gen IV that got replaced in B/W could become Move Tutor moves.

I'd love to see Dark Pulse, Stealth Rock and Dragon Pulse especially.

Years
They really should bring back older Gen IV TM's, and retool the list a bit. Less gimmicky support & combination moves and more straightforward, power moves

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Frost Breath TM can be learned by 10 different pokemon. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a TM if so few get to learn it.

Stealth Rock should be a TM. I never use it, but a lot of competitive people do.

Years
Frost Breath TM can be learned by 10 different pokemon. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a TM if so few get to learn it.

Stealth Rock should be a TM. I never use it, but a lot of competitive people do.

You are right, everything that learns Frost Breath except Mew is an Ice-type.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I think that we will have all the TMs we had in B/W plus some more. I just really want my Stealth Rock, Roost, Giga Drain and Drain Punch back. It's annoying having to EV train and do everything in a 4th generation game, only to have to transfer to B/W to get some Pokémon with those moves.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I have a feeling B/W2 will ruin TMs like GSC did, in a sense they make a lot of moves, mostly useless, TMs. Maybe they won't, but sense all TMs are of unlimited use, it's ringing in my ear for no particular reason. Anyway, Stealth Rock deserves to be a TM if things like Grass Knot and Brine stayed. Dark Pulse and Dragon pulse as well, since I just love to be mainstream<3~!

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
I have a feeling B/W2 will ruin TMs like GSC did, in a sense they make a lot of moves, mostly useless, TMs. Maybe they won't, but sense all TMs are of unlimited use, it's ringing in my ear for no particular reason. Anyway, Stealth Rock deserves to be a TM if things like Grass Knot and Brine stayed. Dark Pulse and Dragon pulse as well, since I just love to be mainstream<3~!

Definitely need Dark Pulse and dragon Pulse that would be so much help. Rather than breeding in a different gen, getting the moveset right, then trading to B/W or B/W2.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I'd like to see Dark Pulse come back, but something tells me there won't be much of a change at all, if any.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
While I know it's not impossible, and with GameFreak anything could happen at this point, I don't think the TMs will differ from B/W's TMs.
At most they'll just change how they're obtained, but other than that I don't see them changing the line-up when looking at how they handled it in past games like Platinum.

You never know, though! These games do take place in the future, and may break sequence as far as trading between games goes which would leave an open opportunity to change it without having it conflict with other games.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Stealth Rock please! Very useful in terms of competitive battling, and I always thought it was a TM before. :[

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
While I know it's not impossible, and with GameFreak anything could happen at this point, I don't think the TMs will differ from B/W's TMs.
At most they'll just change how they're obtained, but other than that I don't see them changing the line-up when looking at how they handled it in past games like Platinum.

You never know, though! These games do take place in the future, and may break sequence as far as trading between games goes which would leave an open opportunity to change it without having it conflict with other games when trading.

Well when I think about it, Platinum and B2/W2 are pretty different. Where Platinum was just a remake of D/P, B2/W2 are straight up sequels. The last main series sequels we had, G/S/C, had an entirely different line-up of TMs all together. Who's to say they won't do the same for these sequels?
Though I do agree with you. I have a feeling that the TMs will stay just as they are, which is fine by me.
But if they change it... Eeee~ <3

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'd like to see the elemental punches, DynamicPunch, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, and Giga Drain return as TMs.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Personally I don't want Stealth rock to return as a tm...it was way too overused in Gen IV...

I'll like to see drain punch return as well, and the elemental punches should be tm's this time around.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
i personally DO NOT want stealth rock, its too anoying, when in competive it almost instantly kills some pokemon

Back