• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
Years
I was Thinking i would like to start collecting old sets and i was wondering What would be the Cheapest And easiest to find?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
So, I'm trying to get into the TCG, and currently I'm trying to make sense of the whole rarity thing.
I have the holo Gold Potion from the Boundaries Crossed expansion (I tried posting a link, but I'm not trustworthy enough yet :/ Just look it up on bulbapedia) and the shiny Call of Legend Lugia SL7 card, and I notice that they both have a silvery white star as their rarity symbol, and according to bulbapedia, so do the so-called Super-Rare cards.

Hence my question is this; if i get a card with a white silvery star, how am I supposed to tell the rarity? Is there something else on the card that decides that? I mean, I can see if the pokemon is shiny, but still, is there some secret trick to it, or am I just that stupid that I don't see it?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
So, I'm trying to get into the TCG, and currently I'm trying to make sense of the whole rarity thing.
I have the holo Gold Potion from the Boundaries Crossed expansion (I tried posting a link, but I'm not trustworthy enough yet :/ Just look it up on bulbapedia) and the shiny Call of Legend Lugia SL7 card, and I notice that they both have a silvery white star as their rarity symbol, and according to bulbapedia, so do the so-called Super-Rare cards.

Hence my question is this; if i get a card with a white silvery star, how am I supposed to tell the rarity? Is there something else on the card that decides that? I mean, I can see if the pokemon is shiny, but still, is there some secret trick to it, or am I just that stupid that I don't see it?
Well to know the true rarity rate you would have to look the cards up individually. All that the TCG actually gives us is those symbols. Those silver stars are the second rarest, with secret rares which have the same symbol but a numbering higher than the set number being the rarest.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
Yeah I was afraid I had to look them up individually. But I thought the highest rarity was the gold star? Now signified in Japan as UR, for Ultra-Rare.

Years
Yeah I was afraid I had to look them up individually. But I thought the highest rarity was the gold star? Now signified in Japan as UR, for Ultra-Rare.

Thing is, rarity is indicated by more traits than just the rarity symbol, and a Gold Star was never used as a rarity symbol, at least in English. I generally group them into the following rarity tiers for simplicity's sake:

Commons

Uncommons

Non-holo rares

Holo Rares

Ultra Rare Tier cards: Lv. X, ex, EX, Prime, Ace Spec, and maybe some other specials that escape my mind.

1/2 step above Ultra Rare: Full Arts

Secret Rares: Any card numbered outside the set's "official" number. Such as the "Gold Star" cards with the Gold Star in the name, cards with Shining in the name, and of late, cards featuring the Shiny versions of the Pokemon on the card.

Does this help explain any better?

I was Thinking i would like to start collecting old sets and i was wondering What would be the Cheapest And easiest to find?

Depends on your definition of old. What year would you consider as old sets now?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
Yeah, thanks :D
But does that mean that secret rares are the rarest type?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
Hi, I've got a couple more questions I've thought of;

1. Are there reverse-holo versions of EVERY card?
2. Are there non-holo versions of holographics cards, when that list on bulbapedia doesn't specify anything else?
3. Are there reverse-holo versions of holographic-only cards?

The reason I'm asking is, I wanna collect Luxray cards (my favorite pokemon), most of which bulbapedia classify as "holo-rare". However on ebay I am finding reverse-holos as well. So, I need to know if every Luxray card has three versions, so that I can look for them all.

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
Years
Hi, I've got a couple more questions I've thought of;

1. Are there reverse-holo versions of EVERY card?
2. Are there non-holo versions of holographics cards, when that list on bulbapedia doesn't specify anything else?
3. Are there reverse-holo versions of holographic-only cards?

The reason I'm asking is, I wanna collect Luxray cards (my favorite pokemon), most of which bulbapedia classify as "holo-rare". However on ebay I am finding reverse-holos as well. So, I need to know if every Luxray card has three versions, so that I can look for them all.

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Hope that answers your questions.

Years
i have this plasma snorlax with an attack that does ''30 damage times the number of plasma pokemon you have in play'' i wanted to know if just by having snorlax in play (cuz it is plasma) are you able to give damage? in other words does snorlax count itself when doing damage?

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Yes snorlax counts as 1 plasma pokemon thus 30 damage if it is the only other plasma in play.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but I got a English AncientMew card that was sealed and it had a card saying that to find out what the card said you had to go to an event to get a playmat/poster. Would anyone have one or have a picture of what it looks like? I know what it says but I cant find one to buy or print out.

Years
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but I got a English AncientMew card that was sealed and it had a card saying that to find out what the card said you had to go to an event to get a playmat/poster. Would anyone have one or have a picture of what it looks like? I know what it says but I cant find one to buy or print out.

No idea on the playmat, but the Bulbapedia page does have a translation of the runes, presumably taken from the official translation:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ancient_Mew_(The_Power_of_One_promo)

And the original Pokemon.com riddle for the cards can be found via the wayback machine here: http://web.archive.org/web/20020220205610/http://www.pokemon.com/news/ancientmew.html

This help any?

Years
#1: .what card series started the "boosters have a TCGO code" thing?
**have seen merchandising from BW stuff but not sure of how far back

#2: .Red Genesect box thing... something about a 60 foil card deck...
~ want to (probably will) buy this thing for the red Genesect pin @ are the 60 really foil?

Last edited:
Years
#1: .what card series started the "boosters have a TCGO code" thing?
**have seen merchandising from BW stuff but not sure of how far back

#2: .Red Genesect box thing... something about a 60 foil card deck...
~ want to (probably will) buy this thing for the red Genesect pin @ are the 60 really foil?

1. It started late in the Black & White base set print run in just a few boosters, but the first set to include them in every booster was Emerging Powers. The first codes were in the theme decks for the Black & White set, though.

2. Yes, all 60 are foil.

Back