• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Frontier #4- VOTE NOW

Which forum do you want to see?

• Superheros/Villains forum

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Sports forum

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • The Classroom(schoolwork assist forum)

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Pets forum

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Music forum

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • New Leaf(forum dedicated to helping each other reach personal goals)

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • The Old Haunt(Scary forum)

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Fear not my fellow sports fans, I am indeed putting in a bid. Again.

What type of forum are you nominating? Sports

Include details on the type of threads and content you can picture in this area: I "run" the sports section on another gaming website I frequent, and I post sports threads there, with vibrant opening posts, with details about the upcoming season, etc. Separate threads get made for the offseason and playoffs. Could also do separate threads for the ultimate games, if necessary.

If you could choose the forum's name, what would you call it? The Locker Room

I swear to god if Sports loses again for the millionth time I will change my username to 'PC Hates Sports' out of spite.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I'm not sure a dedicated sports area would generate more views than a sports tag in GE. A topics current activity is generally a good indicator of how it will do as it's own forum

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I'm not sure a dedicated sports area would generate more views than a sports tag in GE. A topics current activity is generally a good indicator of how it will do as it's own forum

Personally I think the problem is that music talk dominates that section. Absolutely dominates it. Very rarely will you see a thread about movies, TV, or sports. So people just go in there to talk music and forget all about the other three topics that are discussable.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Genuine question: how much activity would a superhero forum actually get? There's only so much to discuss before we get repeated "who is your favorite villain/hero/movie/etc." and "marvel vs dc" threads.

the forum isn't supposed to last longer than three months and there are many ways to fill out that time
a gimmick forum that doesn't have any lofty ambitions and gladly bows out when the next frontier comes around. no fuss, no mess. a true christmas miracle.

Years
Sports will have my full support this round. I'll be genuinely shocked if it wins, though.

if superheroes loses to sports i'm deleting this thread

I'm sorry so many of us enjoy watching athletic people play games on a regular basis.

Probably not. What the sports threads probably need is a dedicated duo of people who care about more than just their own team. I can probably be one of those people for the NBA and CFB threads, but not for the NFL, MLB, or NHL threads.

I swear to god if Sports loses again for the millionth time I will change my username to 'PC Hates Sports' out of spite.

It doesn't surprise me given that substantial portions of PC's active off-topic area users are noticeably international. And many are also part of social cliques/circles or hail from social cliques/circles that just, by and large, aren't into something like sports for various reasons.

The Soccer/Football thread does quite well because a lot of our users who are into sports are international users rather than Americans. American sports threads succeed more in communities with a higher share of American users making posts in the off-topic sections.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
In full transparency, I did post an NFL thread before the season started, and it quickly sank to the bottom of the pile with 0 posts, so...

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
In full transparency, I did post an NFL thread before the season started, and it quickly sank to the bottom of the pile with 0 posts, so...

But again, I think if we had a forum that was clearly dedicated to Sports - and knowing PC's tendency to gimmicky label stuff be called The Stadium - would overall boost sports activity.

Reactions: EC

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
But again, I think if we had a forum that was clearly dedicated to Sports - and knowing PC's tendency to gimmicky label stuff be called The Stadium - would overall boost sports activity.

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. The activity will not rise just because the topic has a new spot on the front page. Perhaps the initial bump in activity due to its conception, but give it a few months and you'll be back to your GE numbers.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Fear not my fellow sports fans, I am indeed putting in a bid. Again.

What type of forum are you nominating? Sports

Include details on the type of threads and content you can picture in this area: I "run" the sports section on another gaming website I frequent, and I post sports threads there, with vibrant opening posts, with details about the upcoming season, etc. Separate threads get made for the offseason and playoffs. Could also do separate threads for the ultimate games, if necessary.

If you could choose the forum's name, what would you call it? The Locker Room

sports forum or riot.

i'm serious. we need one for like yesterday.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. The activity will not rise just because the topic has a new spot on the front page. Perhaps the initial bump in activity due to its conception, but give it a few months and you'll be back to your GE numbers.

Well numbers are derivative of how each section is led, so we'll see about that.

Like The Mall, sports has enough consistent newsworthy subjects that it can hold on its own. Here are some right off the top of my head
  • Professional Sports: American or International
  • Fantasy Sports: weekly advice on particular matters, survivor pools, hell create your own leagues on here.
  • Recreational Sports: for the casual fan who just wants to talk about normal stuff they like to do
  • Newsworthy trades, transactions, and injury updates
  • Disentegration of "sports megathreads"; instead of singular, megathreads like the soccer one, you can break it apart by team and/or weekly scorings.
  • Weekly wagers: each week users make a bet on particular outcomes of games, can be anything from making your avatar a dickbutt for a week to donating $x money to a particular charity
  • Power Rankings: each week PokeCommunity discusses as to what the power rankings for a particular sport should be. Discussion posts can be done at the beginning of each week and then at the end is.
  • Sports Podcast: each week members come together and talk about their favorite games, newsworthy items, and so forth.
I have more but you get the jist. General Entertainment is, at its core, a music and TV Show/Movie forum. The core group of people who go to that part of PC don't go for sports but for the above listed and as Evil Chameleon pointed out, there's no breathing air for sports to even have a fighting chance because of it. General Entertainment is, in essence, the pop-culture version of The Treehouse; with the right leadership, like with The Mall, can make it work. You give sports it's own clear cut place and it will thrive, I guarantee that.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Well numbers are derivative of how each section is led, so we'll see about that.

Like The Mall, sports has enough consistent newsworthy subjects that it can hold on its own. Here are some right off the top of my head
  • Professional Sports: American or International
  • Fantasy Sports: weekly advice on particular matters, survivor pools, hell create your own leagues on here.
  • Recreational Sports: for the casual fan who just wants to talk about normal stuff they like to do
  • Newsworthy trades, transactions, and injury updates
  • Disentegration of "sports megathreads"; instead of singular, megathreads like the soccer one, you can break it apart by team and/or weekly scorings.
  • Weekly wagers: each week users make a bet on particular outcomes of games, can be anything from making your avatar a dickbutt for a week to donating $x money to a particular charity
  • Power Rankings: each week PokeCommunity discusses as to what the power rankings for a particular sport should be. Discussion posts can be done at the beginning of each week and then at the end is.
  • Sports Podcast: each week members come together and talk about their favorite games, newsworthy items, and so forth.
I have more but you get the jist. General Entertainment is, at its core, a music and TV Show/Movie forum. The core group of people who go to that part of PC don't go for sports but for the above listed and as Evil Chameleon pointed out, there's no breathing air for sports to even have a fighting chance because of it. General Entertainment is, in essence, the pop-culture version of The Treehouse; with the right leadership, like with The Mall, can make it work. You give sports it's own clear cut place and it will thrive, I guarantee that.

I agree entirely that the subject itself is enough to host plenty of discussion. I think the main problem is the interest on the forums. If a larger portion of the member base were interested in sports, it would be reflected in General Entertainment. The reason why GE is overrun with music topics is because music is an equally topical and popular subject of conversation, with a significant portion of our member base interested in it. That is the missing factor in sports that I'm sure will stun it's growth.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
I agree entirely that the subject itself is enough to host plenty of discussion, I think the main problem is the interest on the forums. If a larger portion of the member base of the forum were interested in sports, that would be reflected in General Entertainment. The reason why GE is overrun with music topics is because music is an equally topical and popular subject of conversation, with a significant portion of our member base having an interest in it. That is the missing factor in sports, that I'm sure will stun it's growth.

But the same thing could be said The Mall's topics when it was still a part of The Treehouse. A lot of The Malls topics were hidden by a cluster of other different topics. And to be blunt, and I don't meant this as a clear jab at you bc I haven't seen it with Antemortem either, there's no drive from the higher ups to promote sports in that section. That has a trickle down on your member base and why the section is how it is. You push and push music, TV, and movie topics and your user base will follow suit. The reason why sports is the way it is is because it was never given a fair chance and is why (and Meganium can fact check me on this) most sports conversations happened in Fan Clubs when it was around as a forum because GE wasn't the place for it.

Talking specifically about superheros for a second, I have a real problem with this:
the forum isn't supposed to last longer than three months and there are many ways to fill out that time
a gimmick forum that doesn't have any lofty ambitions and gladly bows out when the next frontier comes around. no fuss, no mess. a true christmas miracle.
Jokes aside, the point of Forum Frontier should be to try and make a permanent forum. When the suggestive of the forum is already calling it a "gimmick forum" and is already admitting defeat that it won't stay, I have a problem with that when there are other ideas that are trying to get something permanent on the board. Personally - and you call me a stiff stick in the mud for this, I really don't care - I don't want a gimmick forum that is just for three months; I want these forums to last and is why I put in the effort - as well as Jaeherys - to get The Mall to stay as it had/has a lot of potential. Same is the case with sports personally.

EDIT: That moment where I mix up McCree and maaccrash AGAIN, kill me now plz sorry lol.

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
I'd be more than willing to house sports in GE but the only thing I have an actual base of knowledge in is baseball so I personally probably wouldn't be able to contribute much. I always tell myself I'm gonna follow the Celtics when they start up then I forget. oops. that's beside the point. I truly don't think there's much of a pull for it here though as previously stated but I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again, so feel free to prove me that! make some threads. don't let this hypothetical concern of there not being enough people willing to discuss it stay hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back