• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thunder Armor was stupid!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I can go on a rant for hours about how silly Thunder Armor was, but that's not what this thread is for! What are some anime strategies you found to be ridiculous or outright stupid? What are some anime strategies you found to actually be well thought out?

I honestly have always found the counter shield thing that Ash did in the Sinnoh saga to be a really interesting and thought out strategy.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Thunder Armor was bad? How about Thundershock working on Onix or better yet on Rhydon(Aim for the Horn!). Anime was never meant to make sense as it?s an advertising mechanism for the games and franchise overall.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Thunder Armor was bad? How about Thundershock working on Onix or better yet on Rhydon(Aim for the Horn!). Anime was never meant to make sense as it?s an advertising mechanism for the games and franchise overall.

Well, to be fair regarding Onix, Pikachu had been supercharged from being hooked up to a former hydroelectric power plant earlier thanks to Flint and Ash (which essentially meant that Pikachu was doping), so I wouldn't be surprised if Pikachu's electricity had increased to such an extent that not even Onix's ground type would have been much use against resisting it (and believe me, before that, it actually WAS immune to thundershock), and even there, it was only after an accidental setting off of the sprinkler system that there was any significant effect to Pikachu's electricity (while it did have a noticeable effect on Onix, it was not quite enough to turn the battle in Ash's favor until then). Also, technically, in the Japanese version, Ash never actually told Pikachu to aim for Rhydon's horn, Pikachu decided to do that on his own.

Thunder Armor definitely was a lot worse than those examples, though. Let's face it, at least with Onix, we actually got an explanation on why it worked (Pikachu got supercharged, like I said earlier, and besides, it was wet.), and even the Rhydon bit at least works regarding the whole lightning rod aspect. Thunder Armor literally didn't make sense, nor was it even foreshadowed earlier. Then again, I was never fond of how the anime did the Gym Leaders in Hoenn (it's already bad enough that they forced Misty into the Gym at the end of Johto, they didn't need to make the Gym Leaders into JJM clones), and the Thunder Armor was yet another example of Gym Leaders' shabby treatment, something that took until the Kanto Reunion arc to truly redeem them of their skillset. People can complain about "pity badges" from the Kanto Gym Leaders all they want, but at least THEY were proven to be pros during battle, unlike the Hoenn gym leaders who were complete jokes for the most part, akin to Jessie James and Meowth on their worst days.

I probably would also call Pikachu being manhandled by Ursaring during the Paul Rematch bogus as well regarding strategies (I'm sorry, but this was the same Pikachu that single-handedly eliminated that Regice, the same one that owned Paul an episode earlier. It should not have lost against Ursaring who was literally a rookie compared to him, Guts ability activating or not. They should have had him lose to Paul's Torterra, who at least was closer in experience level overall to Pikachu.).

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
My favorite strategy was his pikachu losing to a snivy starter with no previous battle experience.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I still can't believe this was a thing that actually happened. That was infuriating.

Better believe it. He doesn't even have Zekrom as an excuse there. Don't forget, Pikachu still had Iron Tail, which last I checked is NOT an electric type attack. And I thought his losing to Paul's Ursaring despite beating a Regice and Paul catching it early on in Sinnoh was bad.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Better believe it. He doesn't even have Zekrom as an excuse there. Don't forget, Pikachu still had Iron Tail, which last I checked is NOT an electric type attack. And I thought his losing to Paul's Ursaring despite beating a Regice and Paul catching it early on in Sinnoh was bad.

Don't forget, the RESET. And Ash being dumb as heck in Unova.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I still can't believe this was a thing that actually happened.

Why not? If you've seen more than 5 episodes, you should know things just happen for the sake of convenience all the time, regardless if it makes sense or not.

My favorite was in Sinnoh, Ash and co needed to find Regigigas or something like that (some sort of Pokemon that required others to awaken) and since they needed the other Regis, of course, that battle tournament guy from seasons ago who just HAPPENS to have all of them COINCIDENTALLY runs right into them right then in his hovering air-balloon battle station.

And never before or after again.

Amazing.

That's the Pokemon anime for you. Calling it lazy writing still means I have to call "writing", which I can't in good conscience.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Don't forget, the RESET. And Ash being dumb as heck in Unova.

Yeah, no kidding. Even for Ash, he was too stupid in that region, literally not telling Iris apart from an Axew in their first meeting. At least in Indigo League, most of his stupidity can be excused for mere inexperience on his part, not Unova, though (in fact, the only one who came across as even more of an idiot than even Unova-era Ash was Cameron, who was pretty much the reason why Ash decreased in rank during the Unova League, thus potentially rivalling Hoenn as having the worst league turnout EVER [the other leagues at least had Ash increasing in rank, Unova and Hoenn aside, and even Hoenn had Ash staying at the same rank as in Johto, the immediate preceding league he was in, and in the case of Kanto, that was just his starting point.].). And I wasn't fond of resets either, even in Unova and Hoenn (though at least Hoenn had a bit of an excuse due to Pikachu coming down with a cold at the worst possible time).

Why not? If you've seen more than 5 episodes, you should know things just happen for the sake of convenience all the time, regardless if it makes sense or not.

My favorite was in Sinnoh, Ash and co needed to find Regigigas or something like that (some sort of Pokemon that required others to awaken) and since they needed the other Regis, of course, that battle tournament guy from seasons ago who just HAPPENS to have all of them COINCIDENTALLY runs right into them right then in his hovering air-balloon battle station.

And never before or after again.

Amazing.

That's the Pokemon anime for you. Calling it lazy writing still means I have to call "writing", which I can't in good conscience.

Well, to be fair regarding Brandon, him being present actually DOES make sense considering that, since he had gone through the trouble of trying to hunt down the other three Regis (even trying to hunt down Regice during the times Ash hadn't beat him yet), he probably would be the type to just be hunting down Regigigas and arrive there. At least it's better than Dawn's cameo in BW, where she literally had no reason to even BE in Unova in the first place since there was no Pokémon Contests (and besides which, I don't think it was stated that she had even finished Hoenn yet at the time, which implies she interrupted her own goal and left mid-region, something not even Ash was known to do [I'm not counting the Kanto reunion arc in S&M, as that was specifically organized by the school as a field trip for the class Ash was in for the 25th anniversary, meaning Ash had little say in the decision.].). You can't even call it a coincidence there, she literally was there for no real reason other than they felt the need to just have the previous generation girl present for the sake of tradition (seriously, at least May had evolutions and the fact that she acted as a sort-of mentor to Dawn for her cameo, and even Misty at least had the Togepi festival as an excuse for going to Hoenn [not to mention she can't interrupt her goal of Water Pokémon Master by doing so anyways thanks to her sisters pretty much doing that for her both because of the three-month cruise and their sheer incompetence in general.].).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Yeah, no kidding. Even for Ash, he was too stupid in that region, literally not telling Iris apart from an Axew in their first meeting. At least in Indigo League, most of his stupidity can be excused for mere inexperience on his part, not Unova, though (in fact, the only one who came across as even more of an idiot than even Unova-era Ash was Cameron, who was pretty much the reason why Ash decreased in rank during the Unova League, thus potentially rivalling Hoenn as having the worst league turnout EVER [the other leagues at least had Ash increasing in rank, Unova and Hoenn aside, and even Hoenn had Ash staying at the same rank as in Johto, the immediate preceding league he was in, and in the case of Kanto, that was just his starting point.].). And I wasn't fond of resets either, even in Unova and Hoenn (though at least Hoenn had a bit of an excuse due to Pikachu coming down with a cold at the worst possible time).

Well, to be fair regarding Brandon, him being present actually DOES make sense considering that, since he had gone through the trouble of trying to hunt down the other three Regis (even trying to hunt down Regice during the times Ash hadn't beat him yet), he probably would be the type to just be hunting down Regigigas and arrive there. At least it's better than Dawn's cameo in BW, where she literally had no reason to even BE in Unova in the first place since there was no Pokémon Contests (and besides which, I don't think it was stated that she had even finished Hoenn yet at the time, which implies she interrupted her own goal and left mid-region, something not even Ash was known to do [I'm not counting the Kanto reunion arc in S&M, as that was specifically organized by the school as a field trip for the class Ash was in for the 25th anniversary, meaning Ash had little say in the decision.].).

Of course it was a better and more plausible reason than most, but my point was just like with the Dawn cameo, they wouldn't have cared if it wasn't. That's not a priority with this anime.

Back