• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports "Memeing" to be added as an official Olympic sport [AFD joke]

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
NfjDS4h.gif
Manakete News Corporation

Olympics to now have meme creation as an official event
The International Olympic Committee announced yesterday that "memeing" will be added to the list of official Olympic events, starting with the 2020 summer Olympics.

The official announcement stated:

"We in the IOC having been looking to add a new event to the Olympics for some time now. After much discussion and research, we finally decided, with a near-unanimous vote, to add the creation of memes to the Olympics. Some people may find this strange, but we feel that memeing is an art that takes as much training and talent as any other sport here at the Olympics does. We want to take advantage of this fantastic bit of new culture and put it on the international stage of competition."

This announcement has been met with controversy, however. There has been much backlash from the gaming community, who argue that "eSports" should've been entered into the Olympics before this did, and believe that "memeing is not a real sport".

MNC reached out to an IOC spokesman about this controversy, who told us:

"Those nerds think that playing video games is a sport? That it takes real sweat and know-how to be a "professional gamer", and that memes don't? Don't make me laugh. There is huge effort and skill involved in creating a meme that goes viral, that goes down in internet history. There's no comparison between the two at all. Memesters are athletes, gamers are not"

Some people have responded positively to this announcement however. One reader wrote to us here at MNC and told us:

"I'm happy to hear that this has become an Olympic sport. It's always been my son's dream to be an Olympic athlete. But he's been rather discouraged lately, as he's felt that he's no good at any traditional sports. But with this, there's hope for my boy. When he was born and I first laid eyes upon him, I just knew that he had what it took to be a great memester, maybe even one of the greatest. And now he can finally make use of his talent and achieve his life-long dream. Thank you, IOC!"

The rules of the event are stated to be:
Each team has 2 hours to create a meme. Once time is up, their meme is released to the internet. The meme is then tracked across the internet for 48 hours to see how the world reacts to it. Scores are then given to each team's meme, based on a number of factors: comedic value, how viral it went, originality, potential for longevity, and other factors decided by the panel of judges.

The current panel of judges for this event is rumored to be Pepe the Frog, Kim Jong-un, and Buzz Lightyear.

------

OTHER BREAKING NEWS STORIES:
Santa Claus found dead at workshop
Apple unveils new iPhone 9, is also a toaster

Last edited:
Back