• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pocket Venture (feat. proof of concept)

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
I'm thinking of making an action-adventure game where you play as a pokemon. Like the main-series game, you get to use four moves to attack.

Attached below is the prototype. Charmander is a playable example.

Controls
Arrows keys to move
Z to use Scratch
X to use Tackle
C to use Ember (as a ranged attack)

Right now, I need help with the AI, first with enemy and then with ally. The playable unit is similar to the enemy unit; the only difference is how they are controlled.

Attachments

• pocket_venture.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 6

Karthick__

Pokemon Fan Game Developer
Years
Like mystery dungeon?..right have a look this Touhou Puppet Play Enhancedone like yours but puppet play, you can use similar as example ..i hope this will help you..

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
I guess it is like the mystery dungeon series, though I image the game to be 360-degree free roaming rather than moving along in a grid. Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced doesn't help as it is a hack of fire red unrelated to this game's genre, though I might want to later look at the original touhou game to see whether the bullet hell elements could spice up the gameplay.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
This version has an ally (Chikorita) and an enemy (Squirtle). If you walk towards Chikorita then walk away, it'll follow you. If you creep near Squirtle, it'll chase after you.

These are my goals for the next milestones:
  • UI for your HP and moves
  • Implement Speed stat. By making Squirtleslower, you can outrun it and it'll stop chasing.

Attachments

• pocket_venture.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 1

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
While working on my next milestone, I need to establish the core gameplay features, or its pillar. In the game, the player can:
  • Move around the field.
  • Shoot to attack.
  • Beat 'em up moves to attack as well as to parry.
  • Use Elemental Types to make the attacks stronger.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Attached below is my next milestone. I added an interface consisting of HP and moves. I also made Squirtle slow so that Charmander can outrun it, showing it stopping when it's too far.

I added in base stats from the mainline games, but I find it too complicated to integrate them into the gameplay. As the result, I only add in 2 parameters: HP and speed, but I won't be copying them from the mainline games.

Next up is to implement moves damaging other pokemon. In the mean time, I'm working on an FSM plugin in which I'm using for this project.

Attachments

• pocket_venture.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 0

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Got the floor tiles set up, and a damage counter appears when a unit is damaged. I also got the main UI (HP and moves) implemented.

[ADDED] Following this post, my next goal is to give it a game loop, like Title > Level Selection >< Gameplay. I also want to expand my sprite set to include a fully-evolved pokemon (like Charizard) and Smeargle, which would be appropriately used to test various moves.

Attachments

• pocket_venture.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Didn't touch on this for a long time, but I've fixed a few issues in a few days. Will work on the game loop next.

Attachments

• pocket_venture.zip
    14.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
I've made a short game loop in the attachment below. I have also made a Charizard sprite. Here it is, in comparison with Charmander:

size_comparisons.png

Charizard's size is about twice of Charmander's, and Charmeleon should be in-between. After Charmeleon, I can use its size as a reference when drawing Smeargle.

Attachments

• pocket_venture.zip
    15 MB · Views: 1

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
I'm surprised how therapeutic drawing sprites is, so I ended my making more than I should. I have to stop at some point to work on the moves as well drawing the environment.

You can view the sprites I've made here.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
I've completed the game loop. Now I'm setting up the layout for shops and party configuration.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Since Godot 4.x has been out, I've been bringing forward many of projects. It took me a long while, but I've finally got to this project. I still need to work on its FSM system, but I also worked on the game's interface, too.

Attached below is a screen of what it could look like on a brake between two game levels:

Attachments

• interface.png
    interface.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 2

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Age 32
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Now that I've finalized my game loop, I'm adding mons, moves, maps and ai types next.

At this point, I can't attach my progress here as it exceeds 20 MB. If enough people want to see my progress, I'll make my project public.

Attached below are what the game would look like:

Attachments

• title.png
    title.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 1
  • starters.png
    starters.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 1
  • gameplay.png
    gameplay.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: