• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] How do I edit sprites?

Caelem

The Shaymin
Years
Hey I'm new to these forums and pokemon essentials ect. I need to know how or with what program can I edit pokemon & trainer sprites, Can someone please help and get back to me :) I would be very appreciative

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Unless you're willing to dish out the money for Photoshop, I'd recommend Paint.NET. It's free, and a cut above Microsoft Paint for image editing. Otherwise, I recommend you just work with whatever you're comfortable using. Personally, I use a copy of Photoshop CS4 which I got at a student discount some time ago.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
GIMP 2.0 is free and fantastic. If I had to go back to working with MS Paint I'd shoot myself.

edit: should probably explain a little better. It's similar to photoshop. You can play with filters, layers, transparency, brightness/contrast/hue control. Lots of stuff.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
I used MS paint for spriting and GIMP to get transparency. I don't like using only GIMP for spriting because I find it clunky. But after I dropped $10 for Aseprite I can't go back to either. It has the simplicity of paint with all the functions of GIMP I need.

linden

"The 'Robin Hood' Pokémon"
Years
I use PhotoPlus, which is Serif's version of Photoshop. PhotoPlus Starter Edition is free to download, and has all the features I need for every day 'photoshopping'.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
As for sprite editing, I just use MS Paint--it's so simple to use and it's perfect with pixel art. Then, to touch up sprites, I'll use GIMP or Photoshop, depending on what the computer I'm using at the time has. There are a lot of tutorials on the internet for how to get into sprite editing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 1, 2020
I use the normal paint programme. Be sure to have gradients and dark outlines. I suggest that you a colour of different black and white levels.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I... just use MS Paint. It's usable, and is pretty adequate concerning sprite art. You'll need something stronger for things like trainer portraits though.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
had anyone ever sprite on Affinity Photo or designer. could that be a good alternative to photoshop? (other than the free image editors)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 24, 2022
Personally I use Gimp. Since most of my sprite edits are just simple recolors I like to use the Select by Color Tool and it instantly fills the same color for all my sprites on my spritesheet

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Sep 19, 2023
I used MS paint for spriting and GIMP to get transparency. I don't like using only GIMP for spriting because I find it clunky. But after I dropped $10 for Aseprite I can't go back to either. It has the simplicity of paint with all the functions of GIMP I need.

Haha same thing here 🤣 I thought it was just me

Back