• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Types into Emerald

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Intro:

With the Fairy-type now being a part of Pokemon for about a year,
it is only natural that hackers have tried to incorporate this into hacks.
Hackers of Emerald have gone about this in many ways, such as
replacing the ??? type, and shifting around the data that uses it.

Fire Red as the most popular engine to hack has had the Fairy-type
implemented through expansion for quite some time now. Having
begun to hack Emerald, I think it is only fair that I make a tutorial
about how to add new types into the game without replacing any.

I6yptjV.png

Tools Needed:
Spoiler:

Part 1: Editing the Icons and Palettes
Spoiler:

Part 2: Editing Type Effectiveness
Spoiler:

Part 3: Editing Type Names
Spoiler:

Part 4: Editing the Bag Icon

Congratulations, if you've followed all these instructions you should have fully implemented types!
This is not necessarily particular easy for new hackers, so don't stress if you can't do it, the method I used to implement this is currently available in the
Emerald Battle Engine Upgrade by DizzyEgg and KDS, and I'm sure someone else following this tutorial has made an .ips patch.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• Fairy type table.rar
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Good stuff here MrDollSteak! Now we have a type expansion tutorial for Ruby, FR and Emerald. This will allow hopefully more modern features in future hacks. Looking forward to what you do next!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
It's really late here and I am really tired, but I think I spotted an error in your tutorial.

Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:
(The second one should be 38 AE 31 08 iirc.)

Otherwise thanks for the tutorial, I really appreciate it! :D

Edit: Hmmm, I'm having a lot of trouble getting the icon to show in the status screen (at the moment it shows the Flying type icon and then just resets) but it seems the type itself is working (I tested it and a Fairy type Pokemon is weak to poison moves.) I've checked everything and I have no clue what I'm missing haha. If all else fails I'll try it on a clean rom. :)

Fixed it. :)

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
It's really late here and I am really tired, but I think I spotted an error in your tutorial.
Otherwise thanks for the tutorial, I really appreciate it! :D

Thanks for the find! I've updated it, should all be fine now.
Good catch.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 23, 2015
How can I tell if I've done this correctly? I've tried to change Pokemon types in Gen3Tools and Gen III suite, but the Fairy type doesn't show up.

In addition, it'd be really swell if you could provide screenshots for the last two instructions with the extra tables. I think I did it correctly, but I'm quite terrible at hex edits, so I can't tell :P

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
How can I tell if I've done this correctly? I've tried to change Pokemon types in Gen3Tools and Gen III suite, but the Fairy type doesn't show up.

In addition, it'd be really swell if you could provide screenshots for the last two instructions with the extra tables. I think I did it correctly, but I'm quite terrible at hex edits, so I can't tell :P

For Gen 3 Suite, in the Ini if you change where the type names are located it should show up. I'll see if I can get a pic.

Spoiler:
Here you go, change the type names location and # of types (you don't need to change the length.) If you've done it right it'll show up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 23, 2015
For Gen 3 Suite, in the Ini if you change where the type names are located it should show up. I'll see if I can get a pic.

Here you go, change the type names location and # of types (you don't need to change the length.) If you've done it right it'll show up.

EDIT: Okay, so I managed to get the HexEdits to show up in Gen 3 Suite, but they all have /x as the type. I'm awfully close to figuring this out...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
MrDollSteak... I have some trouble understanding type effectiveness. By your explanation... the red highlight text means this, right?

10 17 00 -> Dragon against Fairy is Inmune
03 17 14 -> Flying against Fairy is Super Effective
08 17 14 -> Ghost against Fairy is Super Effective
11 17 05 -> Dark against Fairy is Not very Effective
01 17 05 -> Normal against Fairy is Not very Effective
06 17 05 -> Rock against Fairy is Not very Effective
17 10 14 -> Fairy against Dragon is Super Effective
17 11 14 -> Fairy against Dark is Super Effective
17 01 14 -> Fairy against Normal is Super Effective
17 0A 05 -> Fairy against Fire is Not very Effective
17 03 05 -> Fairy against Flying is Not very Effective
17 08 05 -> Fairy against Ghost is Not very Effective

or I've got it wrong?? this match gen VI?

Ps. Thank you for this tutorial

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
MrDollSteak... I have some trouble understanding type effectiveness. By your explanation... the red highlight text means this, right?

10 17 00 -> Dragon against Fairy is Inmune
03 17 14 -> Flying against Fairy is Super Effective
08 17 14 -> Ghost against Fairy is Super Effective
11 17 05 -> Dark against Fairy is Not very Effective
01 17 05 -> Normal against Fairy is Not very Effective
06 17 05 -> Rock against Fairy is Not very Effective
17 10 14 -> Fairy against Dragon is Super Effective
17 11 14 -> Fairy against Dark is Super Effective
17 01 14 -> Fairy against Normal is Super Effective
17 0A 05 -> Fairy against Fire is Not very Effective
17 03 05 -> Fairy against Flying is Not very Effective
17 08 05 -> Fairy against Ghost is Not very Effective

or I've got it wrong?? this match gen VI?

Ps. Thank you for this tutorial

01 is Fighting, 03 is Poison, 08 is Steel. Other than that, they're all correct.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
I guess I know why its not working at all for me.
Everything works when "Type" against Fairy, but not when Fairy against "Type".
I figure it out that my fairy attack was indeed "???" type.

I'm currently using PGE. Does anyone know how I can make Fairy appears in Type section/Attack Editor ?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
This was a great tutorial but I'm having this problem. When trying to view a pokemon's type in the pokedex my game restarts itself. I was hoping someone could check my data for me to see where I went wrong. You probably don't want to see a bunch of bytes for an image so I'll only post part 2 and 3.

I've only included fairy type no other types.

Fixed!

I had a pointer pointing to the image and not the correct table.

Oh I've also changed the ini for gen3 suite so I can change some pokemon's type to fairy but this happens. (see attached files)

Thank You

Last edited:
Years
This was a great tutorial but I'm having this problem. When trying to view a pokemon's type in the pokedex my game restarts itself. I was hoping someone could check my data for me to see where I went wrong. You probably don't want to see a bunch of bytes for an image so I'll only post part 2 and 3.

I've only included fairy type no other types.

Fixed!

I had a pointer pointing to the image and not the correct table.

Oh I've also changed the ini for gen3 suite so I can change some pokemon's type to fairy but this happens. (see attached files)

Thank You

I think that's normal =/
Anyway, FINALLY!!
I've managed to do it:
pY1H1qy.png

Years
Hi, after the step one, the game resets when I go in the Summary page of a pokemon. Is it normal ?

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
Years
I have one question about this. What does this mean "unLZ-GBA (preferably the hacked one)"? Where can I find that "hacked one"?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 28, 2015
What did you mean by "Navigate up there and Select 5C blocks (hex) then insert it into some more Free Space"?
I'm afraid I'm new to this and you lost me completely at step 5.

EDIT: I thought I figured it out, but I seem to have broken my ROM. Would it be possible to PM my ips patch so you could see where I went wrong? Or could I have a patch and I can try to find what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2016
Hey plz help... I just cant understand step 5 in 'editing the icons and pallete'. i mean what should i do to get that 'select block' thingy?! yeah im still new at hacking...

Back