• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shauna, Tierno and Trevor

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
These three characters are your friends and "rivals" in the Kalos games, along with the player character that is the opposite gender to you. Shauna always picks the starter that is weaker to yours, and Calem/Serena always picks the one that is strongest. Trever and Tierno already have Pokémon of their own.

Throughout your Kalos journey, you will encounter these four, but believe it or not, you don't really battle them as much as you do your rival Calem/Serena. You only battle Shauna twice, Tierno twice (and once in a double battle with Trevor) and Trevor twice.

What did you think of your "rivals" in X/Y? I didn't care for any of them.

Years
They were really lackluster. I like what they tried to do with them, but in the end it has no real ending or closure. They just feel like they're there just to show you few mechanics and that's it. And then they are said to be heroes just like you in the end. Even Tierno and Trevor who weren't even in the Team Plasma's Base during the time you beat them. I wish they had bigger roles that would justify them being heroes just like you.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
There are so many rivals in XY and its was bit too much, the only thing centered is Selena which is your ideal rival.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
They're kind of another example of how poorly executed XY's plot was really. Like, traveling with a group where everyone's got different goals and stuff would've been great, except they kind of do almost nothing the entire time and never really develop as characters either. =(

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The worst rivals imo. Wait, "rivals". They were really one-dimensional, were often more annoying than entertaining, and as said by Nah were an example of XY's bad plot.

The cutscene where you are forced to watch fireworks with some small child I couldn't really care less about? (And quite possibly during the middle of the day?) That stuck out to me as a dumb scene. Then there's the stuff the direct 'rival' says before/after battling you on Victory Road, which was just dumb.
"I've been thinking ever since that incident in Geosenge. Lysandre chose only Team Flare. You and I chose everyone but Team Flare. But since our positions forced our hands, you can't really say any of us were right.
Serena/Calem... Lysandre was literally going to commit genocide. He was wrong.
"It's hard to put a finger on where, but I think you and I are alike. And that's why I don't want to lose to you. But I think the reason we're alike is because we have so much in common.
Thanks for the definition, dictionary.

But Tieno, the dance guy, not having a Ludicolo in his team, which is even within the Kalos Dex, is perhaps the greatest sin they committed.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
But Tieno, the dance guy, not having a Ludicolo in his team, which is even within the Kalos Dex, is perhaps the greatest sin they committed.
omg I had totally not noticed that lol

we must cleanse Gamefreak with the eternally burning holy flames for this egregious blasphemy....or something

Years
the forced implied shipping between the player character and shauna is certainly kind of.... awkward and yet interesting. tierno and trevor aren't really particularly memorable to me so i don't really have any comment on them in particular.

all in all they're... a bland bunch save for the opposite-gendered protagonist character whom i've always saw as the real rival.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Yeah there was much of them that left to be desired; they were probably going for the bond of friendship thing, but it was kinda.. poorly written.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
I wasn't necessarily fond of them in all honesty. Sure they were nice characters, but I've never been a fan of friendly rivals since I prefer having a rival who is actually rude and obnoxious.

Lil.lady.k

Waifer Koruni
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 16, 2020
I don't really care for Tierno, but I do like Trevor, and I like Shauna a lot :) Tierno just bothers me

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
dude if they wanted to give us rivals that competed with us for different things, that would have been great if executed properly. one of XY's biggest weaknesses is the introduction of so many new characters, especially rival characters, that they don't give any personality or backstory to and they all fall flat. it's a classic case of quantity over quality. i think these three in particular were wasted potential. shauna is the only one of the three that had anything interesting going for her. tierno could have been cool for a contest rival if there were contests or some kind of equivalent in kalos. trevor's gimmick with the pokedex could have been interesting if in addition to seeing who has the most, he asks you trivia based on pokedex entries to see who knows the most as well. it's a small touch, but it would give the two of them and their preferred method of raising pokemon some more flair and let them stand out more.

pkmin3033

I...completely forgot their names. I saw the topic and was like "who?" until I actually opened it out of curiosity, haha.

Any other RPG would have put some actual effort into developing these NPCs beyond their initial personalities, but this is Pokemon, so they're about standard quality...which is to say, so far beneath everything else to the point that they're subterranean. Oh well. I miss the days when your rival was an unlikeable bastard that you actually WANTED to see more of if only to find another excuse to hate them and beat them in the next Pokemon battle you had because reasons.

milcute

a sweet melody~
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I think Shauna was cute, but that's probably just my bias towards cute girls. Tierno and Trevor were... Meh. The only notable thing I can say about them is that I've lost Pokemon to Tierno's Corphish in Nuzlockes before.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
It's only been a year since I played and I've already forgotten who Trevor is or what he looks like.

Noctis

Finally back after some family problems
Years
In my opinion, Tierno was like a cute and cuddly teddy bear. He was so loyal to you, Shauna, and Trevor throughout the whole game and he kinda seemed a little clueless up until the end when it was time to defeat Team Flare. Trevor is literally like my spirit animal. He is smart, nervous, and shy, but also determined to do the right thing. He may have not had the best team in the game but he was still my favorite character from X and Y. Shauna on the other hand was a clingy kind of character. You could tell she had a thing for you. It was very obvious throughout the whole game. Plus she was very energetic and her happiness was infectious. To be honest though she was kinda annoying.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I actually forgot about these guys. I'm fine with more "rivals" but if they're going to be there give them a decent team of six and have them challenge me often. If I'm not racking up exp from you I don't care about you. I DO remember there was a really weird cut scene with Shauna looking at fireworks? and she was def feeling some kind of way. I just remember thinking YEAH IDK YOU SO..

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
Xy was very bad for many reasons in general. Too much obstacles and "OOOOHHH-HOOOO WOAH MAN YOU CAN'T DO THAT GYM NOW!"

I banked over an idea team from ORAS, and the fact the gyms were so spread out and harder to get to almost caused a problem a lot. Tierno's a stooge, Trevor isn't even essentially a trainer, Zygarde had nothing, power plant, train station, ghost girl. Finished.

Years
I was always fond of Shauna, she had such a cute design! Tierno was really annoying and Trevor was just kind of a second-rate Cheren. I just think the way in which the friendships were handled was completely wrong. The friendship narrative was shoved down your throat and was so incredibly forced and it just ended up feeling fake and inorganic. When I think of a healthy friendship, I think of similarities, experiences, memories, etc. None of those things were really present. The narrative of friendship was so continually addressed and yet, the feeling of authentic friendship was completely absent. The characters seemed more robotic than anything, they had little to no substance, no backstories, no character development, and there was no overarching plot that drew the characters together. Furthermore, Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor were given flat personalities and regurgitated the same few lines every time you would encounter them. They always had to mention what good friends they all were, which in normal conversation, is not something that has to be repeatedly said. It's like the writers themselves have no friends and understand nothing about friendship and social interaction.

Last edited:
Back