• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pokémon" YOU'VE Seen IRL!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
That is a super cool collection of pictures of wild things. Do you own the fossils? And are you like a researcher or nature guide or park ranger or something?
I'm surprised you don't have any dog pokemons or goldeen/seaking -or other fishes- on there ahah

icycatelf

Alex
Years
First post here..cool list. Looks like you did some good research. Props.
Glad you enjoyed it!

That is a super cool collection of pictures of wild things. Do you own the fossils? And are you like a researcher or nature guide or park ranger or something?
I'm surprised you don't have any dog pokemons or goldeen/seaking -or other fishes- on there ahah

Thanks! The fossils were found by me. I'm not a professional by any means, just an appreciator of nature (though I rarely venture past my own yard).

I was avoiding pets until recently (I originally just wanted to add things I've found in the wild/caught myself), but I suppose my dad's spitz could pass for Growlithe/Arcanine. As for fish, minnows are the only ones in my immediate area.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks! The fossils were found by me. I'm not a professional by any means, just an appreciator of nature (though I rarely venture past my own yard).

I was avoiding pets until recently (I originally just wanted to add things I've found in the wild/caught myself), but I suppose my dad's spitz could pass for Growlithe/Arcanine. As for fish, minnows are the only ones in my immediate area.

Well, could have fooled me! I really like the concept of this photo collection. I would say it's fair to add domesticated animals when that's what the pokemon is based on (goldeen, furfrou, etc.)

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Well, could have fooled me! I really like the concept of this photo collection. I would say it's fair to add domesticated animals when that's what the pokemon is based on (goldeen, furfrou, etc.)

True. And Delcatty is based on pampered cats.

Added my dad's dog as Growlithe/Arcanine. He's even getting his winter coat, which makes it look like he has stripes.

EDIT: Actually, Rockruff might be a better match. While it may not be as fluffy, its curled tail is obviously based on spitz breeds.

This isn't to say that Growlithe and Arcanine don't also draw inspiration from spitz-type dogs, though. The Chow-Chow breed ("puffy lion dog" in China) may be closer to their origin and is part spitz.

EDIT 2: Added Purrloin and Minccino, since I'm including pets now.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Added Kricketot, the Vanillite line, and Sawsbuck. (I think it's strange that they gave female Sawsbuck horns.) I also removed Squirtle and used the box/land turtle for Turwig instead.

It also struck me that Milly may actually be a Balinese or similar breed based on her plumed tail, so I replaced Persian's entry with a Siamese cat I saw back in college and have now listed her as Leafeon instead. Leafeon, like Persian, shares similarities with Siamese cats, but the plumed tail of a Balinese (which is a sub-breed of Siamese) is more reminiscent of Leafeon's wide tail.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Added Mandibuzz and Dottler. I also deleted Scolipede and re-uploaded its entry for Sizzlipede/Centiskorch.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Xt1D1zS.jpg

White Flannel Moth

Though I feel that it has more in common with the Indian Moon Moth, I just discovered that new Pokémon Frosmoth's Chinese names are derived from flannel moths. This would certainly make Snom, a jewel slug caterpillar, fit better (seeing as Dalceridae, Limacodidae, and Megalopygidae larvae are all referred to as slug caterpillars).

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
While I'm waiting to find more things with Pokémon based on them, here are a few that feel like they should have Pokémon counterparts (more coming at a later date):

Rosy Maple Moth
Spoiler:

Five-Lined Skink (aka Blue-Tailed Skink)
Spoiler:

Dobsonfly
Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Some more not-but-should-be Pokémon:

Slimy Salamander
Spoiler:

Black Widow
Spoiler:

Walking Stick
Spoiler:

Also, here's a team I put together for myself using things in the main post:

ddm9111-960fe3ce-a228-444f-8db5-f1b8a2395c79.png

I used a stray for Torracat in the main post, but here I'm using my cat (also a tabby, though his markings aren't as distinct thanks to his lighter color and long hair). Recolored to better represent him. (Alternate-colored non-Shiny Pokémon have appeared in the anime, so Wynaut?)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I love that rosy maple moth! (incidentally, I also love Kommo-o and weavile's shiny, which share the same color scheme). re: that salamander, that's funny, a few years ago I designed a fakemon that is basically a black chinese dragon with stars all over to look like the night sky (named Stargon, typing dragon/dark)

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I love that rosy maple moth! (incidentally, I also love Kommo-o and weavile's shiny, which share the same color scheme). re: that salamander, that's funny, a few years ago I designed a fakemon that is basically a black chinese dragon with stars all over to look like the night sky (named Stargon, typing dragon/dark)

It's my favorite insect! When I first saw one on my door, I thought it had chosen me because it knew Shiny Dunsparce was my favorite Pokémon. <3

I actually tried making a Mega Dunsparce based on the rosy maple moth, but it looked janky so I made an unrelated rosy maple moth Fakemon instead.

Spoiler:

That's cool! Maybe this guy could evolve into your dragon?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
That looks like an awesome bug/fairy early bug!

It's definitely one that I'd include in a Fakedex/fan game if I ever made one. Trouble is that I'd want to base 90% of the 'dex on insects (and most of those, moths). Dx

Here's another moth I think could make a cool Pokémon/Fakemon, known by some as the dragon moth. Bug/Dragon seems like the obvious choice but, to avoid overuse of the Bug-type, I could see it getting a similar treatment to Flygon. Dragon/Electric, with the Electric typing alluding to its neon-yellow caterpillar?

Spoiler:

Caterpillar's white form (Shiny?)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Blipbug and Falinks!

fpPu4qx.jpg

Blipbug represents the larval stage of a seven-spotted lady beetle.

ZaZldtH.jpg

Consisting of a leader and five troops and resembling a caterpillar while in formation, Falinks may be a visual pun on an admiral caterpillar. The red admiral caterpillar, like Falinks, is protected by a spiky "armor."

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Trouble is that I'd want to base 90% of the 'dex on insects (and most of those, moths)
i know what you mean. I've tried to come up with a fakedex but I had WAY too many birds (and quite a few fish, as I'm a birder and fishkeeper).

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Merry Christmas! Here are some more finds that I feel could easily be adapted into Pokémon:

An ambush bug that evolves into an assassin bug?
Spoiler:

A braconid wasp that evolves into a pelecinid wasp?
Spoiler:

A mole cricket that is literally part mole and part cricket?
Spoiler:

Regional Oddish based on the mayapple?
Spoiler:

Use a Bug Stone on Tympole to get... a toad bug!?
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Just came across this thread, these are some cool posts and pictures!

I'll throw one out there- Smeargle is based on a Beagle (Smear + Beagle) and I'm lucky to have one of my own! (sorry for bad image quality...)
Spoiler:

Nice work putting this together!

Back