• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are Food Pokémon SO overhated!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 20, 2021
Title says it all.

"Why do you guys hate Vanilluxe? How can you possibly think Slurpuff is not good or at least decent? I see no problem in Cherubi! Milcery did nothing wrong!"

I know people have preferences and all, but still! Why the community generally hate Foodmons? I have many questions.

H e a p.

Banned
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 23, 2022
I though it actually says "Why are Food Pokemon SO DELICIOUS!?" While I already eaten something.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I don't see Cherubi as a food-mon per se, just a plant.

I actually love Vanillite, think Appletun is kind of cute (especially how small it is) and Alcremie adorable, and have no complaints with Swirlix or Vanilluxe. Not a huge fan of Vanillish or Slurpuff, though. (I think the main reason I don't care for Slurpuff is because its "hair" gives it an awkward humanoid look. Looks a bit like an Oompa Loompa, tbh.) I guess the main thing people have against them is that they, along with other inanimate object Pokémon, don't make as much sense in the natural world.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a cherry cheesecake Pokémon with a blueberry Shiny!

Last edited:
Years
I don't hate any of these.
Liking them is a different matter for some of these.

I think most people just think it's lazy from a design perspective.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
They're just not very appealing design-wise.

Vanilluxe as a final evo doesn't look badass, or strong, or cute, beautiful or anything, it just looks silly, and is basically the same "Add an extra head upon evolution" gimmick that we've seen in Gen 1's Digglet, Magnemite. and Koffing. I mean, Digglet is the epitome of lazy design, it just got away with it because back in Gen 1 players had way lower standards.

Milcery looks like a beta design. Slurpuff doesn't look interesting and its unremarkable stats don't help either. I don't have issues with the others, but either way, I don't think it has much to do with being or looking like food.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
I think most people just think it's lazy from a design perspective.
This. Prefers food (and inanimate object) Pokemon that are more than just "stick googly eyes on it and call it a day". Examples:
- Positive: Slurpuff. Possesses clear, creature-like features made of ice cream and meringue. Accomplished the same with Alcremie.
- Positive: Rotom. Presents a clear, in-game reason why it looks like an inanimate object. Never needed to read the Pokedex. Applies to Polteageist and Flapple too.
- Negative: Vanilluxe. Remains an ice cream cone. Lacks arms, legs, and any clear purpose in life. Why is this a wild creature? Ought to be extinct due to overhunting.
- Negative: Chandelure. Looks exactly like a(n evil) chandelier with eyes. Same for Voltorb and Electrode, but with Pokeballs. Lacks character.

Exception: Litwick. Imagines its melting wax to be hair. Avoids the usual pitfall that way, perhaps. Helps to have arms too, probably.

Years
y'know, i can't personally put it any plainer than how ReKoil did. people think they're kinda lazily designed, but i also think there's some rather cute food-designed 'mons despite the (perhaps) less than creative design. appletun and flapple are two examples of pokemon that i really like conceptually. slurpuff looks kinda goofy in a positive way. i'm overall neutral on vanilluxe, but it has a cute charm to me despite its origin.

idk, i think most food 'mons have a cute factor to them which is why i don't really mind them much~

Years
Title says it all.

"Why do you guys hate Vanilluxe? How can you possibly think Slurpuff is not good or at least decent? I see no problem in Cherubi! Milcery did nothing wrong!"

I know people have preferences and all, but still! Why the community generally hate Foodmons? I have many questions.

What guys? All of us? Sick generalization I guess. How can someone possibly think Slurpuff is not good or at least decent? Well, just because someones bias isn't the same as yours you question it? Why do you dislike all of the mons you dislike then?

Years
I don't hate any of them. :D but ngl I did think the Vanillite line was weird at first, but I think that's mostly because of the derpy-looking face as it evolves? lol either way it's grown on me now. Especially the baby form.

Milcery looks like a beta design.

I....actually feel this way too, but I'm not sure why? Maybe it's because it lacks color and that makes it seem unfinished to me?

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I think taking something like prepared food and making it sentient really forces you to suspend your disbelief to a much greater level than say for reimagined animals or inanimate objects. Personally I feel the Vanillite line is pretty absurd. Its pokedex entry is supposed to have us believe that it's just formed from icicles, which to me is just a way to get out of saying it's just an ice cream cone... which is literally what it is. The only way the food route can kind of make sense is to make them plant based or fairy type. If they're plant based I just see them as a plant like cherubi. If they're fairy type I can do the mental gymnastics to associate them with fairy magic and tea parties with sweets, BUT even that is a stretch.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
I personally don't find food Pokemon overhated per say but I do know there are people who dislike Pokemon based off concept and while I disagree with that, I do know it's someone's opinion and they are free to dislike them regardless of reason. Related to concept, my personal favourite Pokemon is literally based off baggy pants and while it's not my favourite idea in the world, I love how unique it is with its execution and how charming it turned out to be but I do know there are people who dislike it because of the whole baggy pants. As mentioned, the other reason the concept of food Pokemon can be hated is the possibility of be lazily designed since it can be implied they take a piece of food, slap a face on it, and call it a Pokemon and I dislike Alcremie because of that reason; a shame since I love the idea of a cake Pokemon but the approach felt bland since it's just a cute creature and nothing more.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Because they're """""""""""""""uncreative"""""""", which is an uncreative criticism, by the way. I have never hated food based Pokemon and never will. The Vanillite family gets too much criticism. I also have never understood the hate on Cherubi, Cherubi is cute. But, people have their opinions, and people will hate, I suppose, I can't change people.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I....actually feel this way too, but I'm not sure why? Maybe it's because it lacks color and that makes it seem unfinished to me?

Yeah, the color palette and the lack of detail in Milcery is reminiscent of some of those gen 1/2 scrapped designs.

Back